Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Pilchenstein posted:

Outposts don't spin though, only the full size stations do.

but they could START spinning for gravity, and then where would you be? You'd be somewhere walk ways were massively dangerous with no hand rails and where hospitals haven't been invented yet, that's where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Help Goons. So I've god ED-H (sounds appropriately like a disease) on xbox one. It seems like in 2.3 they've nerfed all ways to make money that are on google. I've done about half the ancient ruins, made about $45m, got bored (but could go back I suppose). I currently have about $32m, a very nice ASP explorer with about a 28lyr jump capability, a Vulture worth about $21m with upgrades for combat and a lovely sidewinder I've been using to do planetary scan missions on Quince which are nerfed down now so it seems like there will only be about 10% of whatever your $ balance is available at any time, even jumping between solo and open. Still not bad, but not great.

Given my set up/ships, what is the best way to make money at this stage? Go back and try to finish the ruins (when I was doing it, it looked like 3 or 4 scans were only available in open, and I don't know if enough players play on xbone to get the bonus $100m credit)? Buy a transport for trading? Try to do tourist runs? Build faction somewhere?

Thanks for any tips.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Nice piece of fish posted:

I was gonna say I know who you can ask, but yeah pretty much. These kinds of questions are exactly what DF can help with. In fact, I heard about a neat moneymaker just yesterday, but you'll have to join, comment, like and subscribe. Or just join, actually.

How do I join the diamond frogs? I'm willing to like and subscribe random poo poo as well if helpful.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
BTW...NERD UPDATE. Over on Canon or whatever, the hardcore nerds have found five Thargoid bases, and one of them is live/functioning. Generated a starmap when they used unknown artefacts/unknown probes/unknown links (via a spectromapped sound that came out). They are working on triangulating where it leads.

Mr. WTF fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So what is the maximum LY jump distance right now? what ship does it?

People get up to 50 with stripped ASPX's and engineered FSD drives. I think 35 is decent on an ASPX for engineered but carrying a typical load out (the 45-50 range requires a LOT of engineer roll/grinding and lots of compromise on components). You can also use materials to juice one particular jump to like 200 LY.

The other thing is the neutron stars...if you fly toward them and then up into the purple tail (in supercruise still), it'll supercharge your FSD and you can jump way farther...if you link jumps between neutron stars, you can make the 1000+ly trips much faster.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Can some of the super-FSD-nerds comment on the non-FSD engineering/changes you make to lighten ships for long FSD jump range? I have decent rolls on the FSD 5 jump range engineering, but I'm trying to make decisions on what's easy to engineer or modules that might be easy to sacrifice for a little more distance? Maybe rank your recommendations ie first thing make your armor lightweight if you carry it, or definitely lightweight engineer your sensors next, etc..

Thanks for any help.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Ak Gara posted:

I'm trying to work my Yoru standing up, but they mostly own extraction bases and I notice they mostly offer cargo and mining missions. Is there a type of base/station that is more likely to offer assassination missions?

It's easier if you sit down for that.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Can anyone explain why you would use a turret over gimballed? I know you can set them to forward, fire at will, and something else but what benefit they have? Can they shoot backwards?

Yeah...I have a general purpose anaconda, but it's somewhat fitted for bounties. The engines are modded so I can move faster than typical, but I'm still outmaneuvered by most things. I have I think 4 turreted pulse lasers, and then 3 gimbaled multicannons (including the huge hardpoint)...maybe more, can't recall. But the value of constant fire being applied from the pulses, almost no matter where the enemy is, is enormous. It takes their shields down and KEEPS them down while we are maneuvering (and reliably tick the hull down between multi-cannon strafes). They are very effective, and for me, on that kind of loadout, their constant hits more than make up for the damage reduction they have from being turrets. I doubt I'd use them on a vulture or something though where I'd always be in a position to get the shots I wanted.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Khablam posted:

Side note : beware of elite npc anacondas as they release elite fighters. The damage can be extreme.

Seconding this...I have an anaconda fitted to the teeth and takes out anything pretty easily...but if you pick on another anaconda or something big, and suddenly you are fighting two red dots instead of one and there was no one in the wing, you have serious problems.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You are like tiny baby.

If it don't go 8 (hundred) it don't rate. :v:

E: Build here: https://eddp.co/u/1vQRUEub

haha with that jump range you'll need to fly it to other systems directly.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
[nevermind, answered the question via the google]

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I wanna encourage everyone to go ahead and get into the Guardians stuff. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Take a medium ship with a good jump range and an SRV bay. Go to Mitchell Dock in the Meene system. Ram Tah will send you a message and start the mission. You can also use what you find out there to access new modules with the tech broker.

There's a galnet story about it to find the first place to visit. If you read it in-game, it even has a nice button you can click to open the galaxy map.
https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/28-FEB-3304

You need a long-range FSD to do this, but otherwise this is totally accessible to new players.

edit: if you turned the music off, turn it back on for this

Do you need cargo bays for any reason? I assume no or you would have mentioned....

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned to take a cargo rack.

Without spoiling it too much, I recently found out that it's nice to have a class 4 corrosion resistant cargo rack for this activity. Here's how you can get one:

The human tech broker can make one for you, but you need to bring lots of meta alloys. Here's the ingredient list:

28 Meta-Alloys
30 Iron
18 Chemical Manipulators
12 Neofabric Insulation
30 Radiation Baffle

The best way to get meta alloys is to consult this spreadsheet, find a Barnacle that's "ripe" right now, and go to the location indicated. Try to pick one without any defenses set up. Once you're there, just log out and log back in until you harvest enough. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bichQJBbL9ygW1xXc3GQhC5KT-o9u05ihWKXebt4BcM/edit?pre#gid=223643326

So for example, there's an undefended Barnacle on Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 C 4 at coordinates -0.5601 -161.9771. If you check it now, it will be flowering, and you can harvest meta-alloys from it. It's in lifecycle group C, meaning it's flowering this week, but it won't be next week. I presume next week you will need to find a barnacle in lifecycle group A.

You can just buy Radiation Baffles from certain stations. Neofabric Insulation is a mission reward, so you might have to flip the board a couple times.

The Meta-Alloys, Radiation Baffles, and Neofabric Insulation all take up cargo space, so :siren: you need a ship that can carry 70 tons of cargo in order to pull this off! :siren: If you don't have enough cargo in your current ship, and you don't have a stored ship with enough cargo racks installed, your only option would be to ask a friend to hold onto your stuff while you outfit a ship that can carry it all.

Thanks...I was going to use an ASP, but I have an anaconda I can fit for the pre-mission work.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
So what's the scoop on Guardian weapons? I know they are better for thargoids, but are they only better for that or are they universally better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
One more question on guardian weapons before I head out - is the new Ram Tah mission separate to the tech brokers/guardian sites, or is it all one and the same. Ie, you need corrosive cargo capability just to get guardian weapons for some reason?

• Locked thread