Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yeah. The inclination is always to try to get hella money because that's the only real kind of progress you can see other than fed or imp rank or the pilot ranks that you can't really grind out, they just happen as you do poo poo. The only reason to want hella money is to support a suicide sled habit or a high stakes PvP addiction.

The core gameplay is flying a ship. If you like doing that, the game will be fun. If you need other reasons to play, look toward the Diamond Frogs, because we create a lot of meta reasons to do poo poo. It's best not to grind for cash as your main objective, that path leads to madness (you will realize all too late that money means nothing and burn out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
There is hope that they will be fixing some of the problems with money transfers through pressure from the community, the largest orgs have a red phone to the devs and weekly planning meetings. That said some core gameplay issues have taken precedent over issues like that, and they are horrified of becoming Eve so the pressure has to go slow and easy.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Colored lasers will own. Green lasers owns.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

This is me. I find the basic gameplay of Elite very good but without the impetuous of doing something more meaningful than 'get money' I find it hard to work up enthusiasm about logging on. What does Diamond Frogs encourage and for what purpose?

Our main schtick is the same as any goon group in any game - we want to have fun. Because ED doesn't always provide player-level fun at a regular level, we often make fun for ourselves.

One thing we've been working on doing is expanding Diamond Frogs through the BGS. The reason this is Good and Fun is because we're an Anarchy system - wherever we spread and take over becomes an anarchy, without cops or laws or rules. This works well with our narrative of being scorned veterans of the Revolutionary Jotunheim Republic.

We also do PVP and PVE for hire, though the hiring system isn't great (we have a ledger of people what owe us lots of money but we haven't collected because cargo transfer sucks). There is a pubbie group called EIC that likes to hire us to provide event security or other things for them when they do gimmick stuff.

Overall, we are working to being recognized by the devs as a "triple elite" group. This gives us a batphone to influence game development as part of a bigger council. We're close to making this happen.

Additionally, we revert to old staples. The other week some space communists poo poo talked our knowledge of the background simulator, so we bottomed out their influence in their home system. The current slow moving state of the BGS? Basically our fault for doing that, as it caused a lot of people to cry about how a large, coordinated group can accomplish more than a small, uncoordinated group, and how this isn't fair.

For Horizons, we plan to have some of our space Trumps fly capital ships that we will let multicrew stage fighters and buggies out of. We also have plans to attempt to ramp a buggy off a mountain and onto the back of an anaconda which will then drag it into space and see if that works.

As the game develops more into its social/multiplayer elements (it has been showing signs of doing, FDev seems to be relenting on their policy of trying to prevent players from playing together), we'll of course be on the front of that.

If nothing else, you can always feel part of whatever is going on. Right now, for example, Diamond Frogs have expanded into a nearby system, and are in a civil war there. You can help the cause by going and shooting up those CZs for the Diamond Frogs. A lot of times, our missions are not easily comprehensible at the boots on the ground level, but the political intrigue ensures comedy payoffs when we are successful. We also have a few old feuds that will probably be settled soon as things develop. Check out our thread in PGS for the latest.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mike the TV posted:

Protip: deploying the cargo scoop makes you slow down faster.

Same with landing gear. Throw your landing gear down, slam reverse, and 4 pips sys. This is how you survive accidental ramming.

This is the only way to use a landing computer, btw. If you have a docking computer, boost on into the slot, then zero the throttle and let it do the final approach. Skips the whole "waiting your turnnnn" bullshit that will gently caress you when smuggling.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

alphabettitouretti posted:

How's the Fed Assault Ship? I like the idea of having two medium points in addition to the two large like a Vulture, but is it just a big fat target?

No, it dunks on poo poo hard. It's a strong contender for dethroning Gutamaya Supremacy, especially with the updates in 2.0 that will end the SCB meta and make hulls matter. FAS is in contention for best ship in the game, truthfully, once the hull changes hit.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Naturally Selected posted:

Wait I thought the Clipper was basically a better-defended truck due to the ridiculous wing weapon mounts? :downs: Not like I can afford one yet or anything.

The Clipper has 5 weapons. 2 large, 2 medium, and 1 750 ton kinetic melee weapon. It is one of the best PVP ships in the game, an absolute joy to fly if you know how to fly sideways, and just generally it owns in every way. The distant wing mounted weapons mean it is not so good if the other guy knows how to chaff and fly, but it can generally escape if it can't win, because it's fast as hell. Basically, it's a PVP ship that lets you pick and choose if you want to fight. If you know the odds, it might not always win, but it never loses.

quote:

1: Yeah I keep seeing people mentioning getting 15-30M/hr bounty hunting, meantime I'm running around high intensity res'es in a vulture and can't seem to find enough big fish to get above 1-1.5/hour or so. Partly because of the ridiculous 7KM scan range, as well.

Those days are probably done. You can get 15-30M bounty hunting if you are powerplaying for Avril or Hudson, and you are resetting your RES to always be fighting dropships and up. You have to log out and log in over and over to get new instances until you get a spawn table that gives you dropships, clippers, and so on, and then you can Get Paid. Until then, bounty hunting even in the big leagues gives 10M in an hour or so.

quote:

2: I'm already Allied with both feds and imps, but I couldn't figure out how to start getting the actual ranks that are required to buy their ships, which is why I was asking. Everyone's green to me, but in the standings window I get Relationship: Ally, Rank: None. Finally found out that evidently you need to do rankup missions that might or might not appear on bulletin boards. Which is just terrific.

You have to run missions, the rankup missions appear after you do a certain number of normal missions. The first 5 ranks or so come quick, but it's exponential, so the 5 ranks after that take a long, dedicated grind.

quote:

3: The more I look at gear the more I start to think that they really just copy-pasted the same stats for everything from the sidewinder list and called it good enough. Again, scanners that can't even extend to the full line of sight. :frontear:

Yeap p much.

quote:

Also was there ever a reason given why every single ship has the same exact UI and control scheme? A sidewinder has the same exact setup as a type 6 which has the same exact setup as a drat Anaconda. Is this just a thing or are they planning on changing it up at some point?

In the lore, the dashboards are designed by the Pilots Federation and are universal. Pilots Federation (who you fly for) are a big enough thing in Elite to basically dictate How It's Gon' Be because they control all interstellar commerce, trucking, and so on. So they have a standardized, universal HUD that all ships will project, in order to be in conformance with the Union, basically. This is why even the SRV has a very similar HUD. Is it laziness? Partly, but it's also justified in the lore, so it's justified laziness?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Run gimballed medium cannons on the FAS. It owns and is good.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Astroniomix posted:

I'm going to try this even though it runs counter to everything I know about both the FAS and cannons.

If it sucks I'm blaming you.

Normal cannon rules apply, they're sub-1km weapons and the closer the better.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Me and a friend bought this game on the last steam sale. We wanted to stop being poo poo before bothering anybody else, but what's with the Multiple Servers for this game?
As far as I can tell and what the Internet says there is no way to switch servers to play with friends? All the posts I can find about people discussing this issues are a year or more old.
Is there really no way to reliably play with someone else? Having a friends list or being in the same Group/Wing doesn't do anything?

Having a friends list or being in a private group helps a lot. It's based on instancing that strongly, strongly favors friends lists. It also tries to match up wings. And if you're all in the same private group, that also all but guarantees being in the same instance.

The problem is that there seem to be certain factors that will guarantee a split instance, and there's nothing that can be done about them. Generally, very high P2P pings are the main culprit. You can also get "blocked out" in Open, as instances tend to be "sticky" and need to be emptied before it will switch you between them unless you log out and log in.

But basically, there's not a bunch of servers you can't get between, it just generates instances based on P2P connections, and if you're playing with friends on other continents, it just fucks you.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I am a big fan of twisting and flipping and poo poo as I come in at full speed then splashing down, but people who are trying to get it right every time will fly straight down towards the pad from above, then just do one rotation to the correct alignment when the orientation control arrives on the HUD.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

speedometer betrays this is sped up, landing gear down betrays he didn't boost, 1/5.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

LCL-Dead posted:

My personal hatred and pure rage is reserved for when my landing pad coming into a large station is the first loving pad in the lineup. God I hate stopping and backing up/flipping around to because the Python is a god damned land whale when it comes to maneuvering.

tbh anything bigger than a Vulture I put a landing computer on it, boost through the slot, then zero the throttle and let the computer figure it out.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
All this update and I'm most excited about iFights in CQC

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Drake_263 posted:

So I was tooling around in LTT 15574 with a friend earlier. Bought a new Viper MKIV to try it out, C-fit it, and hit a hazres to test it. There were three players in there besides us, all in Vultures. a minute or so later one of them messages me with 'wrong system mate' and opens fire, with his friends joining in. Naturally I bugged the gently caress out.

Trip report:
A Viper mk4, while slower than the mk3, will still outrun a Vulture with some effort.
It will, also, absorb a surprising amount of punishment - I had C4C standard shields and milspec armor and got off with about 80% hull. Probably didn't hurt that I was jinking and chaffing like mad and they likely were using gimbals.
The game also crashed just as I finished my jump out, so we might see a salty post on reddit/brown sea.

Also, if you're in the area, keep an eye out for these mongoloids - they seem to have claimed the area, or are trying to. Three Vultures in a wing, leader was named little_watto, lil_watto or something like that. At least I assume he was the leader since he engaged first.

gently caress it, brother we're gonna scramble a hit squad for you.

Wait, actually, that's deep in Hudson turf. Are you a powerplayer per chance?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

Reposting from earlier. What is a good starter ship for learning combat in the game? I'm looking to learn to do some stuff in the game other than trading constantly.

What's your budget?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

I have about 3m right now but I'm also trying to save up for a Type 7.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/23A3A3A2D3A3D2C1b1b1i1i000040302725.AwRj4yyA.Aw1+kA==

This Viper is a dedicated combat platform that is under 2.3M and pretty decent. You can replace one chaff with a KWS if you want to RES and don't have a partner.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_eagle/23A3A3A1D2A2D2C0s0p0p00B427252j.AwRj4jiA.AwhMIyKA?bn=Suicide%20Sled

This ImpEagle is similarly priced, faster, a bit flimsier. I put the power-costingest weapons on it and it's got a ton of power left over, you can also use a 3A shield on it if you're into that but it will cost dangerously too much for your insurance margin IMO.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/eagle/22A3A3A1D2A2D2C1818180040272l25.AwRj4yg=.Aw1-EA==

This classic Eagle is flimsier still, and slower, but your first introduction to the "Descent" style flight model that other combat classics like the Diamondback Scout, Vulture, and Fer-de-Lance use. It's also your best "budget" option. It is also a suicide sled tho.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dongattack posted:

Is there a trick to understanding where the docking port is on those giant cube stations? I see there are some arrows, but i can't figure out how to read it.

Once you have landing permissions, the arrows are on all the large facing things, pointing at the docking port. The model rotates based on your alignment with it in space. So basically, pretend the model is the thing you're looking at, and fly in the direction the arrow points.

Furthermore, if it helps, like 95% of stations have their mouths pointed towards the planet they orbit. Approaching from planetside will have you facing the slot most of the time. If not, fly past the station towards the planet and turn around.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pilchenstein posted:

While we're on capital talk, where can I find one right now to show my mate who's just started playing?

The capital ships are lore based permanent persistent things, so if you just want to see one, get a Sol permit and head out there, there is always one defending Sol, unless it is sent out to get its rear end kicked by Diamond Frogs.

You can see the Imperial equivalents at Achenar I think? And wherever Torval calls home, iirc.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bushiz posted:

Someone tell me if this is a bad idea because it looks like the most fun I could possibly have:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/06A5A4A4D6A4A3C1rihihihih0404020000024a5d326b2f.Iw18aQ==.EwBj4yIRhUg=

Yes this is p much what I run, I use 3 Boosters though, not 2 heat sinks.

4 Hammers own. 4 Rails own.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it just me or are Federal Dropships in RES's like insanely difficult to kill?

They hull tank hard now, and their powerplant is only accessible from the bottom, downrange of all the guns. You have to hang out behind and above them, like on a conda, and just beat the hell out of them with kinetic weapons now. They used to be the free money but the hull changes have definitely helped all three fed ships in RES.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
FDL is an executive luxury performance battle wagon. It's for space pimps and space CEOs who might need to splash some idiots or schlong someone Trump style, but ain't gonna gently caress around with a non luxury ship.

The low jump range is because classy dudes who fly FDLs can afford the luxury and simple joy of flying, and the raw power of their luxury roadster.

FDL commercials are all about "the joy of dunking on idiots."

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 24, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

A Tartan Tory posted:

I have decided to say gently caress it to civilized space and leave on another exploration trip.

General Goals are the following.

- Breach 30,000 stars claimed under my name
- Get my travelometer up from 600,000ly to 1,000,000ly
- Use SRV jump boosts to beat the furthest traveled system from sol, which is currently around 65,380ly.

Wish me luck.

If you want to follow my progress, feel free to add CMDR ATT.

And don't come back this time without our space Armada of thargoids to liberate Jotunheim.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Literally Kermit posted:

Paramemetic I am ordering you to save Christmas and make sure new pilots all get Cobras

I am unfortunately away from my ship until tomorrow night and will only be on evenings through the new year, but I would like to assign 3 flights to this CG and post visibly about it on reddit, mainly because this will cause tears of outrage from pubbies who worked hard to earn those ships dammit.

I would suggest assigning the 101st, 102nd, 212th, 115th, and 313th to this. I'm not on my computer however so I can't check goatcore to see who is assigned where. I know the 115 is at least available, 101st is on a combat standby, so both of those are available to save Christmas and ruin the economy. At least send those two flights.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

IcePheenix posted:

Does anyone know what the difference is between buying Horizons and Horizons Beta? One is $10 more and I don't really know why, both have the exact same description.

If you buy beta you will have beta access to 2.1, 2.2, etc. Throughout the year. That's all.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

CancerCakes posted:

Is there a goto stick that isn't ridic expensive? I would prefer a split HOTAS if possible.

Thrustmaster hotas-x is good and like $45.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's more fun, anyhow. It took me a long while to become as good a pilot with my HOTAS as I was with M+K. If you know how to set up and work the keyboard with thrusters it is far more precise to fly like that.

But the hotas is way, way more fun to fly.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQZCoCvHfE

Crossposting for those of you who aren't rolling with Diamond Frogs, wrap-up video for our most recent operation.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kuvo posted:

a PSA, you may want to rebind silent running (DELETE) or Eject all Cargo (END) because accidentally fat fingering one of the two can make you a very sad person.

Someone tell them about how I ruined Christmas.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The removal of single player was very transparently a DRM thing but the bullshit reason provided was that computers wouldn't be able to handle it without dedicating gigs to it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

AnimalChin posted:

I want to do this but I'm super casual. Are the frog people casual friendly?

Not only are we casual friendly, we're actually tryhard hostile.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Morter posted:

Trying again.

:siren: Regarding Diamond Frogs :siren:

Yes we're working on it, you can come on the discord for now and @Paramemetic message me and I'll get you sorted on Discord until our webapp guy can remove that field entirely. Inara is how we used to sort poo poo and it shouldn't be a mandatory question but for some reason it seems to be.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bushiz posted:

Also, The mental math on engineer stuff I'm doing suggests that the high-cap power distributor is basically worthless and garbage next to the fast charge. Is that right?

Correct, high cap is never worth it. In fact, Charge Enhanced is always the best choice with the exception of certain niche builds that can use ENG Focused.

Bushiz posted:

Elite Dangerous is the best Being In A Spaceship Simulator available (and there's no competition in the pipeline that looks to be upsetting it, either). A lot of the game design is pointlessly nostalgic but it seems the developers are slowly figuring out that this leads to bad video game experiences and are trying to do away with the awful parts. New content is regularly added and we're due for a large content patch next month

I bought the game in late 2014 and have been playing it on and off ever since, and in the time since I have bought it, I have bought and stopped playing 22 different games on steam.

I would say elite dangerous is a Good Game, and Getting Better

This is entirely fair and accurate.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bargearse posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd be OK with a delay for ship transport, so long as it's not longer than, say, 5 minutes for anywhere in the bubble.

Any longer than that, and the Anti-Fun Brigade have won.

Boy do I have news for you!

The suggested times that Frontier put in the poll are a minimum of five minutes, and an average of 100 minutes for transport from one side of the bubble to the other.

So you're automatically in no-fun mode for a single hop move because Frontier is being arbitrary again.

:frontear:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Quicksilver6 posted:

I don't even understand why this poll is happening, or where this god awful brainwave came from. Why now? After over a year of this game and it's progression, why get up in arms about this long settled gameplay mechanic that's convenient as is now? It's all so strange.

Because frontier is terrible and it's only after a year of this game and it's progression that they are adding the feature. Right now there is no way to move or transport ships or modules except to fly them.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Einbauschrank posted:

How much do I miss out without a mic?

We hardly ever use vocoms except for PvP ops so not much.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I will say one thing though which is that previously the way powerplay generally made it much easier for the BGS systems of their favored governments to work. That is, opposing government types got an automatic debuff applied to their BGS work when they were under certain governments. For example, Torval poo poo all over independents and gave huge buffs to Feudal governments, so when Torval moved in it often buffed the imperial feudal factions and made it a real dickpain for fed or independent powers.

We're the Diamond Frogs now because Torval got her hands on Jotunheim and hosed it all up instantly. The 6IC group buffed an imperial group next door and because of the Torval bump they immediately went into expansion and took over Jotunheim.

I do not know if this is still the case, supposedly they were largely unlinked, but I am not certain that's true.

Edit: and Doot is right about that, one of the biggest problems with the game generally is that a lot of poo poo is not automated but rather done by direct intervention. You want to incorporate in a system? You message Frontier and they add your faction in. You want to move? You message Frontier. You want a CG? Message frontier. Want some lore? Message Frontier. This makes the whole game less about actually accomplishing things in game, and more about getting Frontier's ear.

We strongly suspect that the first UA bombing, which by the way we did invent, was manually triggered by Frontier - they did not expect it to be weaponized and Ackerman's shut down because we messaged Frontier "hey, we sent 200 UAs to a place, so, uh, is something supposed to happen?" and the next day WOW Ackerman's is shut down what a surprise!

Afterwards we think they did automate this, but everything appears to indicate that the technoplague systems were already scripted and just supposed to "happen" with the appearance of it being the result of player actions, since the instancing and Solo/Private/Open modes means it's impossible to know whether or not something has happened from other people doing something. The galaxy seems a lot more full than it really is because Frontier just does stuff arbitrarily and there's no way to actually prove it wasn't other players.

I know I went off a bit there from what Doot was saying but yes basically the fact that Frontier designed this thing to be "literally a person at the Frontier office made a willful decision to gently caress over something" makes it a lot harder for Frontier to do what other games do and go "hey idiots that's the game, those are the mechanics" because rather than coding game mechanics, Frontier just plays Dungeon Master, and the players just submit their moves via secret note every week.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Except of course when the NPC turns out to be Elminster and just teleports next to you and shoots your ship into space dust before your FSD can spool up for the jump. I always love it when that happens. :shepface:

It's called Elite: Dangerous idiot :smuggo:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Like everything frontier does, the AI is programmed to be filled with contempt and behave spitefully towards the players. "Kill me will you!? Get hosed!"

I've rammed a CZ dropship to its death in my courier and barely escaped alive, Moose saw it. But mainly if I had single digit hull you can bet I'd try a suicide ram to take them out too. It's better than frontier accurately simulating players and the AI high waking or logging as soon as the shields drop IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Voyager I posted:

At least I can thank my ED preorder for saving me from getting even remotely excited about NMS.

Goddamit game devs, designing a procedural generator and then adding a bunch of zeroes to the output is not loving gameplay.

Somewhere consumers got really confused and started believing that "procedural generation" means lots of new unique stuff instead of "lots of the same stuff with slight variations. "

It's like suddenly the whole world forgot what Diablo levels were like.

• Locked thread