Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cactus posted:

Except, when you purchase the early access version of the game that is out now (if you purchase the version you can play right now, that is), you won't automatically be given access to the full game that was advertised in the kickstarter with planetary landings and flying through the clouds of gas giants and such, when it releases. They'll charge you a full-game price again for that.

I'm super critical of this game, but this isn't fair. Planetary landings were announced as a paid expansion feature right from the beginning, along with some other random ideas like capital ship control and stuff. They've done a good enough job of checking all the feature boxes, it's just fleshing those features out and making them, uh, fun that's actually been a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

KakerMix posted:

The lack of cosmetics is baffling. Absolutely baffling.
We should be buying internal paintjobs, mugs and bobble heads, stupid tacky poo poo for the insides of our ships. I should be able to buy different colored lights for inside my ship or turn some off. Interior finishes, maybe even tinted glass? Fuzzy joysticks, leopard print seat covers, all that stupid poo poo. And that's just the inside, we should have stick on vents and chrome strips and all that poo poo on the outsides of our ships. Light kits, police lights, etc.

The thing is, I don't think the state of the game and the resulting features are really due to time/money constraints. I'm not saying FD are rolling in money, but I'm convinced that their design process is just... not good. Their approach to the game has been consistent at least as far as back as when I got involved with it, which is probably about 6 months prior to release. It feels like they focus on technical aspects of the game over actual gameplay, balance and content design, either because they don't have the talent and capability to do those things well or because they honestly don't realize how important they are.

Look at how good the more technical things are in the game. Flight model? Great. Probably the best space sim flight model in a decade or more. Game universe? Boring as hell, but pretty and technically impressive in terms of size and variety. Things don't start to come apart until you get to the more game-y aspects or, god forbid, actual content. Mining is pretty much the least interesting, least inspired implementation of that kind of gameplay imaginable. "Bounty hunting" is literally Everquest-era MMORPG grinding. NPC traffic is so lifeless that I'd be criticizing it in a $5 indie space sim. Same goes for missions. Ship and loadout balance is a joke.

It sucks because I know I'm going to end up buying Horizons around release, but I also know I'm going to regret it and never really feel good about the purchase.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

double riveting posted:

I look at "realizing how important [game design things] are" as integral to the "talent and capability" part of game design.

More a failure of planning. Having the most talented designers in the world won't help you if your project managers are pushing aside content work in favor of meeting minimum requirements for feature implementation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SkySteak posted:

So is the game not that deep then? If so that is a shame. I did see a view reviews about how the game never really picks up or that it is quite shallow for what it it is. Is a game with not a ton of end game content or not worth putting a lot of time into? Also are joysticks viable as a control method for the game?

In a lot of ways it's literally Space Engine with an amazingly good flight model and some light gameplay systems tacked on. For what it's worth, I have basically nothing but complaints about the way the game has developed and I still hop on to shoot spacemans from time to time since the flight/combat model is far and away better than any other space sim in recent memory. The problem is that there's just really no depth or challenge to anything beyond that.

For under thirty bucks it's not a bad game, but still probably better to wait for Horizons.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, the non-pro is fine, even though it looks and feels like cheap junk. I've had mine for like four years now and it's held up to lots of regular use and just outright being dumped into drawers and stuff. I think a lot of the negativity just comes from the fact that it doesn't feel solid, but it's not actually poorly built at all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You know what? gently caress bobbleheads. This kind of poo poo needs to be in E:D, like, yesterday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/388470

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Solo and private play should never be able to impact influence. It should be a safe space to grind merits, credits, or rep, but the actions of a player in solo or private should have no impact on anyone else.

You're completely right, but this is a battle that's long since been fought and lost. Frontier doubled down hard on solo/private having the same amount of influence over the game world as open and at this point they'd probably drive off like half of their userbase if they went back on that. It's going to get more and more ridiculous as they expand on things like Powerplay or if their plans for looting and crafting lead to even a rudimentary player economy.

Edit- I wouldn't be surprised if the problem wasn't at least in part technical too. All the background sim stuff runs on their end, which means excluding solo/private players from interacting with it means excluding them entirely. There's no local background sim they could have any influence over, which means all they could do is play in a world shaped by people in open.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm expecting Horizons to be fun, but not profitable. Most people probably won't have much cargo space, so even if you do find a downed cargo ship full of osmium, it'll be like Oregon Trail -- you shot 4000 tons of rares, but you could only carry 16 back to the wagon.

Aren't deployable ships supposed to be coming at some point this "season?" It'd actually probably be kind of fun to run something like a big salvage operation with a T-9 in orbit and a smaller ship with buggies ferrying cargo back to it. Of course, it'd have to be more profitable than everyone just running off and trading in their own T-9s, and there'd have to be something to spend that money on, and...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I wonder if they'll have a major patch that jumps the timeframe and greatly expands the civilization cloud.

Would there really be much of a point? Pretty much all of inhabited space is interchangeable at the moment, so it seems kind of boring to add more for its own sake. Not that I really expect this kind of thing out of Frontier, but I'd rather they push developed space out in a more "designed" manner so that maybe new systems can have a bit of character or at least in-game events associated with them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

KiddieGrinder posted:

edit: the only reason I can think of is that passengers was initially penned as an idea before the FTL drive was a thing (am I right?), and since journeys take mere minutes now, they have to come up with some sort of complicated gameplay mechanics for passengers to exist as anything other normal cargo with a different name.

Passengers existing as normal cargo that requires special equipment (berthing or life support equipped cargo space or whatever) and that can't be bought as a commodity would be fine, honestly. They just really need to do add some kind of mechanic to make the Orca not super pointless, since it sucks having a cool as hell (and expensive) ship that there's no reason to buy at all.

In any case, I doubt they're holding off for player passengers. I can't recall that ever even being on the table?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Sard posted:

Not only does this add convenience, it adds logical traffic bottlenecks close to planets. The current middle-of-nowhere events like conflict zones and security checkpoints could and should be shifted to these L-points. Suddenly civil war would matter a lot more as it disrupts travel in the afflicted system. Pirates would have better places to lurk, and smuggling would have more consistent scan risks.

I'm pretty sure based on the fact that nav beacons exist at all that Frontier originally intended to do something like this and ultimately decided against it. It's a shame, because you're absolutely right that the lack of natural chokepoints that players have to pass through is a huge design flaw. A big part of the reason E:D feels so lifeless is that there's nowhere sensible to actually encounter player or NPC traffic.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Nurel posted:

yeah i may hop back in for that... planets with atmosphere are cool.

Are they actually adding planets with atmospheres to Horizons? That's a serious question, by the way, I haven't really paid much attention to what they've been saying about this "season" other than that they're adding multicrew, crafting, and custom player models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

So I haven't played this game in about a year and decided to jump back in with a clean save today. Are salvage missions near planets just... not right? Or am I missing something?

It seems like the salvage is being affected by the planet's gravity, but it also seems like it's just endlessly falling straight down rather than orbiting. Actually catching up to it and lining up feels literally impossible. It's slightly more manageable with FA off, but it still feels like the canisters are moving in completely nonsensical ways.

• Locked thread