Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If they don't 'tweak' the Assault Ship it's got ultra-silly maneuverability even when fully laden with weapons, armor and fat shields, even at full speed. True to form though just like the Clipper has it's weapons way out on the pylon things the Assault ship has it's large mounts on the top and bottom of the ship. I guess awful weapon placement is some sort of attempt at balance Frontier does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

khwarezm posted:

So is this game good or what?

Maybe.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I think I'm gonna take another exploration trip. First one was in an Asp, should I do it again in that ship? I have 55mil in assets.

The next level up from an Asp is an Anaconda which you don't have the scratch for so, yeah, Asp.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fanzay posted:

gently caress me, that's dumb as gently caress

It is dumb as gently caress but the real money is in a good res. 50 million will be but a portion.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Insert name here posted:

Got any screenshots of this?

Looks like this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mercurius posted:

Not to mention they already said that the larger ships are like flying bricks in the atmosphere so that could be another niche for the smaller and more nimble ships that were added for CQC but will make their way to the main game like the Imperial Eagle.

Note that Horizons starts with landing on airless bodies only, it's hinted at/presumed that atmosphere and weather come with Horizons but later. When they've talked about ships handling badly with Horizons so far they've only talked about gravity of the bodies themselves, larger and more dense bodies presumably loving with ships even more because they have 'more' gravity. With atmosphere and weather we should get even more effects on how our ship handles. I'm personally looking forward to *hear* what atmospheric flight in a rainstorm sounds like. You know how when you dock in a station how there is a distinct change in acoustics when you slide though the mail slot? And how there is sound and echos all over because you are in air? :getin:

As far as airless planets you can land on some have permits that prevent this otherwise they are all out there. Many interviews about this have people at Frontier talking about how they've had the data for planetary surfaces this whole time from Stellar Forge but they haven't needed it. With Horizons they do so now they will pull that generated data and use it to give us (maybe) billions of airless planets to land on, made out of metals, rocks, and ices.

Life bearing planets are an entire other paid expansion that is NOT Horizons.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dante80 posted:

I think they moved away entirely from the paid expansion model. If I understand what Fdev is saying correctly, Horizons is a season of expansions, and the first expansion in it is planetary landings.

You are correct in your assertion that we may see life bearing planetary content on another season, after Horizons. I don't think they can make it inside 2016.

Where is your source on this? As far as I can see this is still their model and Horizons is a big underline on the 'paid expansion' model.

GaylordButts posted:

It's a "season of updates", in that they are counting patches 1.0-1.4 as "Season 1". As far as I know, they have said nothing regarding what you get in this "Season 2: Horizons" aside from the first patch adding lifeless, airless surface landing options and some sort of rover. I guess if you want to get really technical about it, they did not indicate exactly what would be available at the launch of Horizons either. It's entirely possible the rovers don't show up until the second patch, or there are rovers but no surface features on the planets until a later update. I don't recall seeing anything about how many patches would be released or what their content would be, just more of a big picture of what they were doing with Season 2 in general. About the only solid thing is the small 1.5 patch "Ships", which was billed as an update to prepare for Horizons, will be launched at the same time as Horizons itself. You won't need Horizons to get the things added in 1.5, though it was originally supposed to come out a couple weeks before Horizons anyway. Additionally, with Horizons being a series of patches rather than a packaged expansion, they could be using the term launch in a more nebulous way, perhaps just an indication of when people who purchase Horizons would actually be able to log in to E:D. This is my biggest complaint against Frontier, everything they do has this awful "black box" feel to it as it's either unexplained or explained in such a poor way that nobody can be quite sure what they're being told.

It sounded like their goal was to get you to buy a new "season" every year for $60 unless you call in the next ten minutes!! You could save ten whole bucks on our mystery box!!!

While I think your negativity is justified here is how I see it based on all the stuff they've said:
Horizons is 'the game' going forward and this whole next year is Horizons. Since launch we've had community goals, wings, powerplay, and ships peppered throughout. That was the base game and it's year of updates. Horizons is supposed to get the same treatment, which means airless planets, the SRV, planetside bases and the weird drone/control station game they've mentioned including wings made up of ships and SRVs. The number of airless planets to land on is in the billions with some around human space locked off with a permit (probably because some are supposed to be more city or whatever like Earth's moon), and missions that take place with these new things on Horizons launch. As the year goes on we get Horizons updates, opening up planets with atmospheres, weather, more SRVs, and some other things they probably haven't mentioned. They specifically called life bearing planets 'a future expansion' which makes me think they expect to have an expansion out in the future focused specifically on life bearing planets.

I'm convinced that the $60 dollars a year for a new season of expansions is what they are going for based on how they talk, history and the pricing on the lifetime expansion pass. Other people aren't so sure it's a whole year worth of expansions and that's just as valid a guess too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GaylordButts posted:

I think you're absolutely right, I just wish they were more upfront about it. I'd love a rough roadmap like "Here is Season 2 - Horizons: 1.5 - Ships, 1.6 - xxxxxxxx, 1.7 -xxxxxxxx, etc." and a very brief outline of whatever the key focus of each will be. I thoroughly expect these to come out annually and be around 3-4 patches each.

The "loyalty discount" just sounds skeezy.

Yeah I expect each year to be a 'major' expansion. I'm guessing after Horizons we'll get walking around and maybe then combat? I don't really think that's a good idea to do on-foot combat but Braben always brings up how he wants to hunt alien animals on alien planets and you'd need to be on foot with a weapon so that expansion has to come out before the life one. I still feel Frontier is ignorant, not malicious.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The lack of cosmetics is baffling. Absolutely baffling.
We should be buying internal paintjobs, mugs and bobble heads, stupid tacky poo poo for the insides of our ships. I should be able to buy different colored lights for inside my ship or turn some off. Interior finishes, maybe even tinted glass? Fuzzy joysticks, leopard print seat covers, all that stupid poo poo. And that's just the inside, we should have stick on vents and chrome strips and all that poo poo on the outsides of our ships. Light kits, police lights, etc.

I'd spend so much money.
I have to imagine that it's a problem with their workflow, whatever system they have and what procedure it takes to bake a new paintjob in the game because that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I want to remind everyone that Frontier didn't have a route planner in the original design of Elite Dangerous. It wasn't there and people defended this.
300 billion stars and no route planning. This is, to me, the crowning :frontear:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RabidWeasel posted:

They introduced it as 3M2S, IIRC. I'm wondering if they're going to just make it straight up better than the original or if it's going to have some kind of huge downside.

It isn't going to be as fast they've said.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

timn posted:

Calling bullshit on the bounty vouchers. I turned in tens of millions of credits worth in bounty vouchers and never saw a single rank ascension mission until I tried my hand at grinding charity missions.

I've gotten naval ascension ranks for the Empire by bounty hunting when I was making cash money.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

poo poo seems broke.

Of this I have no doubt.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

How much was the season pass again?

There isn't one anymore.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You can only get the Cobra MKIV by getting Horizons, and you still have to buy it. You do not get it for free.

I'm not sure about the needing to pre-order thing or not but I'm quite sure about the rest.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

axelsoar posted:

Did something happen recently or is this resignation finally setting in?

You'd have to jump over to the SC thread and soak in the last oh, 10 pages or so? It involves either a leak at the company leaking Derek Smart inside information (or being a precog), maybe the Sandi woman firing two people for maybe connections to it, a letter a senior person in the company wrote about how Croberts is insufferable to work for, and a bunch of redditors buying a bunch of goons avatars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hezzy posted:

HTC Vive seems to be the way to go seeing as FDev officially support it and have dropped Oculus

Truga posted:

Wait what? I haven't followed this game closely in a while, when did this happen? I remember them mentioning vive support, but when did they say they're going to drop rift?

I think he's talking about how Frontier has dropped Oculus support until Oculus gets their API in order. It does seem telling though that right now Elite: Dangerous and Valve and the HTC Vive are ultra-buddies at the game show that is happening right now. Almost like Elite is the poster child spacegame for the Vive like EvE: Valkyrie is for the Rift.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GaylordButts posted:

HTC and Valve are tight because Valve is paying them to make the Vive. I'm pretty sure FDev is just mentioning the Vive specifically because it's supposed to be launching this year/at least sometime before Occulus next year. I'm very sure they will support both formats, please don't buy VR hardware until you have read consumer unit reviews.

Yeah I know that but right now at EGX Frontier and Valve are real close with the Vive and Elite. Using the game as a VR demo, giant banners with their names on it, that stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I hope you can buy a space bulldozer to push crashed snubfighters off your carrier deck

That's the other game

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

OB_Juan posted:

If there's only a limited number of ships in an instance, and more people make actually improve combat performance, I could see this working.

Wing of four ships, 8 (or more!) people in them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

OB_Juan posted:

And then, once everyone is in the same instance, LAUNCH FIGHTERS

I wish I knew how, so I could add the appropriate frogs/anacondas/vipers to this.

This really calls into question about how they'll display the UIs for wings of more than 4 people. The excuse for 'only 4' was always a UI design decision.
Maybe now the Wing icon for a person/group will be a ship name instead of CMDR name. An Anaconda and an Eagle would be 'Uberballs' group, a Corvette and a Viper would be another, etc. up till 4 'groups'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AndroidHub posted:

Also I suspect (they didn't say explicitly) multicrew is going to be locked behind horizons, but it would be very cool/smart of them to make it so that only the person who owns the ship needs horizons, and people can join their crew and come along for the ride to "try out" things like multicrew and p-landing. I don't expect it to be this way, but it would be cool if it happened nonetheless.

The divide of features is really hard to guess at, mostly because besides planetary landing they haven't said(or at least I haven't seen them say) explicitly that any specific feature they talked about will be exclusive to horizons owners. You would think things like ship-launched fighters, commander customization, etc would be general updates, but it's also easy to imagine how they could make them exclusive. Also, like the livestream, the community post just sorta lumps evertyhing together (including things we know they have said will be for everyone, such as crafting) then it goes out of the way to put the viper mk4 in a seperate section saying it will be available to everyone.

I really wish they would just come out and list what will and won't be pay-for content.

(Also does anyone else keep typing it as "horizonz" then fixing it immediately? :sweatdrop:)
They did say specific crafting materials could only be found on planet surfaces, so that's some specific content locked behind the expansion.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TwingeCrag posted:

But can we interdict nerds and take their space stuff as a rowdy gang of space hooligans? This is crucial.

Yes because lots of people play in open anyway, even if just trading. They could go solo but not everyone does so???

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Haven't played the game in ages, but this multi-crew talk got me thinking about local co-op. Has anyone tried dividing the controls between a keyboard and gamepad so that two people can work together to control a ship?

Multi crew isn't out yet so we can only speculate, but based on what they've said one person flies the ship, the other(s) do things to enhance it. Control remains with one person.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Oh I meant as the game currently is. I know I used a combination of gamepad and keyboard when I played, but I think with the right division of labor, the game could be fun with two people playing at once.

Edit: Maybe with flight assist off and a bunch of the thrusters mapped to the keyboard along with targeting and chaff and such.

My mistake. Yeah you could totally do that, share controls over whatever peripherals you want. The game doesn't seem to care what is being used for what so you could have as many people controlling as many things as you'd please. The problem would be there is only one pov. Thus you can't have people look at the map while the ship is flying, or looking to the right to turn on and off modules and still see straight ahead.
However with real multi crew you could have all of that and more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Since pulsars are just neutron stars (technically) there are around 120ish in the galaxy (again, technically) if you count the designation of 'PSR' on a neutron star as a pulsar.

Type in 'PSR' into the search on the navigation panel and see for yourself! They don't look any different as far as you could ever see because you can't get close enough to any neutron star for it to be anything but a ball of light.

Moacher posted:

I'd kind of prefer they put more work into black hole rendering first, before adding more obscure stellar phenomena. Interstellar raised the bar on bitchin' black hole depictions, and most of the ones in E:D just seem pretty boring by comparison unless you're in a system with a particularly starry skybox. I want to marvel at blinding swirling accretion disks, damnit!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 29, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
For anyone that cares I went and set up a shoutcast stream for the radio station I had going on radionomy. They started inserting real commercials into the station and that's lame as all hell. No commercials here.

https://cp8.shoutcheap.com:2199/start/shazbotsyndicate/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tom Guycot posted:

I always think of this picture of the wiring inside someones new x-55 they took, when I think of saitek anymore:

Theres another one I seem to remember, but couldn't find, of some more crappy wiring with grease or hot glue just smeared all over.

A lot of people have good luck with saitek stuff and swear by them. The x52 is decently priced for what you get but, eh the x55 at least sits at a price range where you could just get something better.

Might have been mine, month old x-55

Looks like it's the exact same problem the picture you posted had.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 6, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dante80 posted:

In other news..Braben tweeted this. Seems they have been working on how the planets look (that photo looks a little better than what we had in 1.3)

I'd like to point out that this picture shows a planet with an atmosphere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GaylordButts posted:

They might have just made it scale range with class and difficulty with grade. I had a 4C on my python last night and noted it to be significantly harder even though I still never lost, but it was mindlessly simple before anyway.

It also looks like they fixed the submission giving you a short fsd cooldown bug. Thanks for interdicting me for a "no problems here" scan, Imperial Navy. I'm only an Imperial Baron, I probably wanted to sit here for 30 seconds anyway.

They always said that was intended and not a bug, so if you do have an FSD failure like you fought the interdiction but you actually submitted then this is a NEW bug.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh man I want to chase down comets in an emergency

All landing on a moving object

First, we need comets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The Federal Assault ship is a very good low-number-of-targets ship, it's maneuverability is insane and the speed at which it can change direction with just maneuvering thrusters is quite incredible. You can engage a target and blast the poo poo out of it before it even has time to react. If it does react just twirl around it as it fruitlessly tries to get a bead on you.
Incidentally it also makes a very good civilian killer :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I want to point out something I noticed during the stream.

Someone asked about liquid water, and the gentleman on the left said
"water requires an atmosphere so is out for two point zero"
He specified "2.0" which confirms (for me, anyway) that atmospheric planets are coming in season 2, just not on release. Taken with that picture Braben posted of him in a Vulture over a green world where you can see some nice real-deal-and-scale details much closer than you currently can, we're getting atmos in 2016 :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Alehkhs posted:

Better pull the brakes on your hype-train there:

Brookes has been wrong about things before :colbert:
Before this the only thing I heard was when Braben said specifically that planets with life is a separate expansion.

I'm still counting on atmospheres hitting with Horizons. Just not life.

EDIT
Also on the stream they were asked about volcanicism and also specificed that it was coming, but not in 'two point zero'

Double Edit:
Mars is also a terraformed populated planet. I don't think we'll ever be landing on Earth -or- Mars because of that.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 15, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32jILVwBJ5Y

If you ain't froggin' you doggin'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

So smuggling. I'm running a Cobra and I've just got enough cash to run with the Smuggler Cobra from the ship guide, but the lack of shields is making me...antsy. I flipped out a D4 Shield Generator for an extra cargo rack for an in-system jump and just about got my seat blown out from under me. Is there a trick to dealing with that? I managed to get away a second time (3 interdictions, in a row, on a 100Ls in-system hop :wtc:) by submitting, then pumping everything into my engines and boosting in a straight line for dear life, and that seemed to outrange the gravity well so that I could jump back into supercruise without the 11x delay. Is that normal or did I just get a lucky-rear end glitch?

That smuggler Cobra is weird. This is the one I use, it's faster, can jump further and has better heat management than the one you linked. Less cargo space but I find that I'm never filling my cargo 100% smuggling anyway so it never seems a problem. You can also drop the fuel scoop as you'll be able to make it to any destination you are smuggling to via missions and can always just buy fuel there. No chaff, but since you are faster than anything else in the game with chain boosting it doesn't matter, your shields will hold up long enough to evade that.

As for your experience no, that isn't a glitch. When you are interdicted it can fling you way the gently caress away from wherever you are, including outside of whatever gravity well you might have been in. Since the Cobra is the fastest ship in the game* (Viper has a higher cruising speed, Imperial Eagle is technically faster under boost but only the Cobra out of these three can boost right after it's last boost meaning you maintain a higher speed for longer in a Cobra) the typical way to deal with interdictions with it is to submit, then when you drop boost away from whatever interdicted you and jump away.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bolow posted:

The Type-7 needing a large pad is the most infuriating goddamn thing

And that's only because they made it too tall. Lakon, noted transportation ship producer, made a cargo ship that can't dock at outposts that isn't actually all that big. Seems like a committee bungle more than anything.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I tried Rebel Galaxy and immediately hated it. It isn't a space fighter, it's naval combat with a space backdrop.

I played Rebel Galaxy this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It also makes me wish Elite: Dangerous would take a bit from Rebel Galaxy because it was such a pleasure to play. The way warp worked, the way the music and minor visual details came together to make a cool universe with which to build narratives off of, the way contracts/missions were settled on completion rather than having to go back to whichever station you got them from gave them to you. So good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I was thinking about it but I play with headphones

That's exactly what the buttkicker works best with. You know a big subwoofer? A buttkicker is a silent one you clip to your chair. Sit on the chair you "hear" it. Stand up, you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LCL-Dead posted:

But your neighbors sure can.

I assure you, they can't. It isn't a subwoofer, this doesn't make any noise. The most noise you will hear from a transducer (aka the buttkicker) is the rattling of your chair you have it clipped to if it has rattley bits. You can't feel it standing *right* next to it, you have to be sitting in the chair to feel it. It's pretty wild when you first use it but after a while you take it for granted.
I know that the Buttkicker and similar devices have a 'lol nerd garbage' aura about them and I can dig that, but I get a hell of a lot more use out of a butt jigglin' clamped-on-chair transducer than I do out of my HOTAS I bought for Elite as I can to use the buttkicker with anything that makes noise. Shows, games and especially music. Music with a transducer owns owns owns. I can not overstate how rad a buttkicker is.

• Locked thread