Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Why is the headtrack thing so important? I use the $50 Thrustmaster and the layout posted a few pages back and have absolutely zero issue navigating headlook with it, way easier than even a mouse.

You'd have even less issues if you had headtracking as you can use it without your hands. It's another one of those things that you don't know you were missing until you use it. Then you go 'ohhhhh' and tell everyone else to get some sort of head tracking as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Solo and private play should never be able to impact influence. It should be a safe space to grind merits, credits, or rep, but the actions of a player in solo or private should have no impact on anyone else.

This only works if Open mode meant everyone on the same instance. Since it doesn't and everything is instanced (and that it's all peer 2 peer) that means even if open was the restriction you will never be able to influence everyone. If you blockade a station someone will just go past you in a different instance and there is nothing you can do about it, they might as well been in solo because to you they were impossible to influence. If, however, it was like EvE and there was no instancing then yes, you would influence everyone trying to get to the station you are blockading and that would own. Alas, instancing happens.

I feel like people lose sight of the real problem which is instancing. Forcing everyone to open does nothing because you can't effect them all anyway because of instancing. That, and if solo was actually a moddable and offline mode, but it isn't.

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- I wouldn't be surprised if the problem wasn't at least in part technical too. All the background sim stuff runs on their end, which means excluding solo/private players from interacting with it means excluding them entirely. There's no local background sim they could have any influence over, which means all they could do is play in a world shaped by people in open.

Probably true, but the fact that there are 'ticks' and influences with both the background simulation and powerplay means that, at worst, you'd have to check in every 24 hours since nothing actually happens when you do it when it comes to influence.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 29, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Or does the ship just kinda vanish from existence when it launches until you call it back?

This. It's the instancing again, your ship only exists in your instance and when you send it off it disappears from the game. Even if someone jumps into your instance they can not find your ship as it doesn't exist. You call your ship back and after an amount of time it spawns back in, looking like it's dropping back to the surface.

I want to know how they are going to justify docking computers when every ship post Horizons comes with an auto pilot that can navigate around any planet and land on any planet automatically. Seems like a 1 ton docking computer doesn't make any sense if your ship already has an auto pilot.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

radintorov posted:

The SRV module.
Since you need the module to be able to carry and deploy in the SRV, Frontier could easily say that the internal module also comes with a dedicated planetary autopilot.

E: not that having a 1t module only for a docking autopilot isn't silly and couldn't have been designed better

Alright now explain why empty additional fuel tanks (when empty) make your ship use less fuel per jump, or why enemy wings can have 6 or even 8 in a wing. Or why Kill Warrant Scanners can have, and I quote, "real time communication" with various police agencies across the galaxy but not use this for anything else that would benefit from galactic-scale real time communication. :colbert:

I'm nitpicking you see :ssh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Trustworthy posted:

A good way to avoid being incinerated by space stations is to obey the speed limits that are there for a reason. :allears:

Back in my day there was no speed limits and also it is still that day gently caress tha poleez

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Astroniomix posted:

While we're speculating, I'd guess the "buggy module" will be a class 4, seeing as we've seen the cobra deploy it, so theoretically any ship with at least a C4 hardpoint could carry one, but this is me trying to apply logic to :frontear:

Last I heard was that the scarab srv can fit in a sidewinder and up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Astroniomix posted:

You guys clearly did more paying attention than I did, but still holy poo poo a sidewinder? That thing can't be much larger than the scarab in the first place.

But I'm not going to complain, this could prove fun.

Supposed to have an elaborate mechanism of unfolding or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Paradoxish posted:

Would there really be much of a point? Pretty much all of inhabited space is interchangeable at the moment, so it seems kind of boring to add more for its own sake. Not that I really expect this kind of thing out of Frontier, but I'd rather they push developed space out in a more "designed" manner so that maybe new systems can have a bit of character or at least in-game events associated with them.

There is no way there wouldn't be a whole bunch of luxury resort hotels out in Barnard's Loop. It's a 4~ hour flight to a gorgeous area for rest and relaxation. Since there have been new stations that have sprung up in less than a year already you can't really use that as an excuse. I've driven 13 hours in a single day in real life, I could have easily made it to Sag A.

Why isn't this a place with tourists?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There's places on the other side of the galaxy that require a permit? That's like a greedy new world colonist claiming all the land he can see as his own, even if he'll probably never be able to reach the other side of it in his lifetime

Most of the permit systems I've found have been out by nebula. You know the Veil nebula? Both of those have lots of permit locked systems in them. Which pissed me off because that limited the pictures I could take.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That's some dumb poo poo. How is that suit sitting in an office thousands of light years away even going to know you're taking pictures of a giant cloud of space particles he supposedly owns. I was thinking of visiting the east/west veil nebula too when I'm not so burnt out on exploring.

AndroidHub posted:

Permits in general are kind of dumb but yeah, it's actually large clusters of stars that are blocked off in a lot of cases way out there, which people are assuming will be "region permits"(which is in the UI, there just aren't any that players can get yet).

You would think some intrepid pilot would jailbreak there ships nav computer or something though, then again this is a setting where it's your own ship that tells the police to come kill you when you don't fully scan the pirate who is scanning your cargo hold before shooting at them.

It's a gameplay thing that probably has everything to do with either Thargoids (as was said) or secret government research bases that need nebula for some reason. There is no in-game justification for it and I doubt there will be. It's blocked off because we aren't supposed to be there because it's going to be for something else someday.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You interdict and scan 50 NPCs in a row to not find fish and then realise that general piracy missions are loving bullshit.

Don't forget that they can tell stolen fish from bought fish.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I really don't want to hear diatribes about how the docking system is broken and how he shouldn't be forced to get a docking computer

MisterBibs posted:

I just looked up docking on the E:D wikia to learn more, and you guys were objectively lying about the game not being spergy. Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.

lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hopper posted:

This game is weird at times.
I took a 100k smuggling mission and made it into the hub without even being scanned.
Next mission 16k "pick up a blackbox". In the system I had to go to, I got Interdicted literally 7 times within 10 minutes by cops scanning me because they "had been tipped of", one waiting in front of my salvage. Waited off him to bugger of, grabbed it and jumped.
In the delivery system I got interdicted again, by a guy in a Viper who shot me down to 30 percent before I could jump away (I fly my newbie cobra and am "harmless" and "dealer")

What determines how strong an enemy is? I stand 0 chance against anyone interdicting me...

The black box missions (and any of the USS look for salvage ones as well) always spawn a cop meant to chase you down. Even in an anarchy, cop-less system you will get interdicted by a the space police. If you let this anarchy cop scan you they say everything is fine and then fly away. Nothing is illegal in anarchy systems thus there are no laws and no illegal anything let alone black boxes. It's :frontear: as gently caress.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Guys

I don't like a thing

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The Corvette has those two huge hardpoints center mounted directly behind the cockpit, it also has a single large hardpoint so you know that the large is also center mounted. It's also the most maneuverable out of the large ships as the Corvette is more maneuverable than the Anaconda and the Cutter is not as maneuverable as the Anaconda. Cutter is fastest though.
Without power plant numbers and shield numbers though who can say. I'm so into those two huge hardpoints though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Want to remind everyone that these first planets we will be on don't have atmospheres and thus you don't have to just fly upside-down

You can fly nose down reversing to keep away from the surface while bombarding the gently caress out of bases :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm convinced shield cells were a problem from the moment they were introduced as I can't even remember a time when anyone asked for them at all, it was like they just cold-dumped them on us with a patch. Nobody asked for space-health, but once they were in you were an idiot if you didn't take them as they are better than every other module if you have the space. You don't fit point defense (lol) or a wake scanner (lol) or anything else, you run shield cells.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Xae posted:

When I tested out the Viper mk4 it felt pretty sluggish at times.

But a post on Frontier's forums from someone who did testing said it was with in 5% of the Viper's values for agility.

The viper is kind of a dog in maneuverability considering its size.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Tried the Corvette. Fitted it with two huge cannons, fired at an NPC Asp and stripped its shields off in a single volley. Tried the Cutter out, fitted it for speed and hauling. It can chain boost 365 forever and haul 728 cargo. But man its a dog trying to turn it. It looks a lot better than the Clipper as well.

I don't see the issue with the Corvette having a poo poo jump range and it being listed as a long-range support vessel. Have any of you flown an FDL for any length of time? That also has a garbage jump range. The problem with the FDL and going anywhere with it isn't its jump range, it's the tiny tiny TINY fuel tank. You can make two full-range jumps and have to fill up. You spend all your time traveling fuel scooping and having jump anxiety. That's what makes the FDL a lovely traveler. The Corvette on the other hand has a nice fat fuel tank and thus doesn't have that issue. If it's meant to patrol then it's fine, you can't patrol from whichspace. :v:
That being said I am not against making its jump range better, I just want to illustrate it isn't as bad as people make out to be.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mercurius posted:

I'd personally have just done 'if you pre-order Horizons you get the base game included and can play now' and left it so that Horizons was available for the discounted price for anyone that already owned E:D. I think the main problem is that Frontier seems to be hell bent on reinventing the wheel for a lot of this stuff instead of looking at what works well in the rest of the industry.

I don't get why people always buy into the "well that would gently caress over the people who kickstarted / bought in beta" because it doesn't make sense. Locking out new customers from playing now because people who bought it earlier might be upset, so loving what. It doesn't affect me if some person buys the game now and plays it now even if they payed less, I have been playing it the whole time they haven't, that's where the value is. This is going to be true post Horizons so why lock people out right now?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8lD37ey74c

"Something something he didn't attempt to land."
:goonsay:

He didn't attempt to land no, but at 29ish seconds in you see his radar show 'Fung's Claim' on the surface of Europa. Europa also has an atmosphere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I read that as well.

I just said gently caress it and pulled the trigger. Amazon has it for 330 (it's back ordered) and I had 120 in gift cards.

I have the warthog and for a long while I used a digital directional button on the stick where your thumb rests as my yaw. Up for left, down for right. It was perfectly serviceable but since that button is ridged pretty heavily and made out of metal it destroys your thumb. I tried putting tape on it, bits of rubber, lots of things to make it not shred my skin but in the end I got pedals and am much more happy about it. The Warthog is a bitchin' stick but be aware you are going to need to tweak it more than most sticks because it has true flip switches and E:D doesn't have the ability to understand this by default. Lucky for us people have this all figured out and ready to go already and once you have it set up it is smooth sailing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Looks like the head designer at Lakon ended up going to Faulcon DeLacy and designing the Cobra IV.
"What if we took the Cobra's main advantage, and took it away?" - former head designer at Lakon, head of the Type 7 project

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 30, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
15 second nights here @ Mitterand Hollow, orbiting New Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aukc7gky9ik

Goddamn this game

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
http://gfycat.com/ChubbyIncomparableBallpython

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Libluini posted:

The one thing disappointing for me in the Horizons Beta: I wanted to try bombing a starport using mine launchers as bombs. Because, eh they have proximity fuses, same thing as bombs when dropped onto a planet, right?

Sadly dropping them onto a space city just made them vanish instead of exploding. Bah.

Mercurius posted:

I think Kaker tried it last night and basically they ignore gravity so they just sit wherever you drop them. Clearly the answer is a Federal Gunship with Torpedos instead :getin:

Yeah
http://gfycat.com/DisguisedSelfassuredIndianabat

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
All cannon Corvette

http://gfycat.com/AmusedHarshFurseal

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
So hey guys.

You know Horizons, right? It's cool and you get an SRV to drive around on planet surfaces! Neat! Ready to go jump out in the black with your Asp and your SRV and get ready to explore away? You should know something first.

Your SRV does not run on hydrogen like every ship in the game, it runs on phosphorous and sulfur.
"But KakerMix" you ask, "so what? I'll just load up a few tons of the fuel and be on my way, refueling from the ship is ez"

You can't.
You can not refuel your SRV from your ship, you can only refuel it one of two ways. One, you drive around on a planet surface and look for rock pinatas that explode in the exact same way that fukkin' asteroids do without a prospector drone (you see 'a rock' and you shoot it to see what pops out :negative: ). Two, you dock at a space station and refuel there. That's it. You can not buy extra SRV fuel even though the station has it sitting there because :frontear: and goddamn is this not the most infuriating thing. Originally the SRV wasn't meant to use fuel at all. Now it does but not on hydrogen and you can't refuel from your ship. You either make it aboard your SRV or you fly back to a space station.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=205480

Please help Frontier see that this is dumb as heck if you agree thanks~

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 3, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

tooterfish posted:

During one of the livestreams they said "driving is fun and cool and worrying about fuel is for squares".

I was puzzled by the reversal frankly, because it was an extremely popular design choice pretty much everywhere. Hopefully they can be persuaded to see sense.

Yeah hopefully.

Also I linked the wrong thread, this is the hot topic one.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=205480

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sard posted:

I saw that the second to last post has an anime signature and starts out with "Speaking as someone who played survival Minecraft for years," and immediately closed the tab. If this is who you're disagreeing with, godspeed and I hope you win for all our sakes.

Oh buddy I know Minecraft, don't you worry about that.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

From what I can see, class impacts the number of SRV's you can carry -- class 4 can carry two, but there's also a G ahd H rating and the only difference between them is that the H rating weighs twice as much.

Pretty sure that's the only difference, weight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I am "IN" to missles you guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3_-84Ut5w

http://gfycat.com/SpryGrippingElephant

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 3, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Want to assault the ground
http://gfycat.com/AridTanCentipede

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

what's your FOV? :O

At 80 via ini tweaks, I'm on ultrawide so I find with my face in the center of it higher FOV is required.

edit
its beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwv0AvA5x0

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 4, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Grondoth posted:

What was happening here? Was the corvette trying to shoot the srv when it was on it?

Nah, no shooting happening. That was solely the srv driving on the vette and exploring it's collision bounding box. I guess Frontier didn't test for it or didn't bother yet but that's the result. Haven't tried in the newest patch yet so maybe the purple disco doesn't happen anymore!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Reminder for beta havers, we have an exclusive CG
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206559

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Libluini posted:

Go to Lave, Lave Station and find out.

I just tested this again to make sure. Don't waste time scanning all planets, only star systems count as a "report". The community goal is literally unable to discriminate between a star system filled with 99 Earth-like planets and and a star system with just the sun alone. :shepface:

Insert excuse here
-or-
:frontear:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Latest beta patch unlinked rover roll from turning. I think you can rebound it in the options.

This is cool as heck

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
http://gfycat.com/SmartDecimalHarrier

Did no damage at all :(

Also sweet parking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZS-xMUvpbY

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 5, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I take it the Fed. Corvette is definately better than the Imp. Cutter for combat stuff, right? Has anyone tried both

It is better yeah, but the Cutter is the new premier cargo ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm flying in my Imperial Eagle enjoying it's rad thruster power while planetside. You can fly in any direction at any pitch and roll and the Iggle will hold it's position, handy because you can fly upside down. Anyway I'm cruising along, looking 'up' at the planets surface. I'm looking for a rock outcropping to see if I can 1. spot it from my ship and 2. shoot it with my ship weapons and have it spawn the materials. I spot a 'point of interest', basically a USS but on a planet surface, shows up as this big blue disc. I slowly scan around trying to see what it is. Finding nothing in my ship I land, deploy my SRV. When the screen fades in and my SRV gets dropped down to the surface I'm greeted by a wrecked ship, 2 cargo canisters and 2 skimmers scanning me. I just landed and deployed and this wreck most definitely wasn't here as it's the size of my Imperial Eagle. Since I'm not about to shoot my precious SRV ammo at these skimmers when I have my ship right here, I redock with my ship, use my ship to destroy the skimmers, then redeploy my SRV. I get a black screen, 'couldn't communicate with server' error and the game crashes. Cool.

I jump over to the bug report forums to see if anyone else is having these two issues, the ship not seeing POIs and the black screen SRV bug. I find the black screen bug, it's been reported already. I then find the POI-from-the-ship thread, cool it's already been reported as well. I click on this thread to see what people have found. Turns out a few people have noticed this, taken pictures and videos showing whole installations popping into existence as soon as they drop from their ship into their SRVs, mere meters from their ship they were just in. I read some more down.

:frontear:

• Locked thread