Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Wait, you can get a bond without picking a side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

timn posted:

Go try busting up a wing of eagles in a Conda with only fixed lasers and see how much fun that actually is. :colbert:

I do, and is fun, git gud

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

LCL-Dead posted:

Need video of the Cutter now..

This federal boner bullshit is killing my high..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLcyPZgY68

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Parallelwoody posted:

DBS conclusion: This ship fucks.

Whoa now!

Oh wait you said fucks

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
A PVP fit conda is not killable by small ships, period.

But I can attest that playing with a silent DBS is fun, and in a wing with bigger ships, you can be the annoying wasp the other side can't see.

Two quick rounds of 2 Hammer and 2 rail can do up to approx 240MJ, so can be enough to get the shields down when they're at the very edge and just charging up the SCB.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Some more info on the impending SCB nerf all you poopsockers are looking forward to:

Sandro Sardino Sarny posted:

Hello Commanders!

As with all changes, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, so we look forward to everyone's feedback once the changes go to live test.

A few points though: the heat generated from using shield cells is based on the rating of the cell bank. Using lower rated cells will give you less heat at the cost of less shield regeneration. And of course, heat sinks are effective at cooling your ship down.

Using a cell every now and again isn't going to do much more than a little bit of module damage from heat, which in general is far better than taking hull damage (and it also plays into module malfunction more). It's also still possible to fit multiple shield cell banks and use them - you will need to manage power more carefully as there's a twenty or so second delay before a shield cell bank boots up after being powered.

The issue with shield cells has primarily been that without any strong restraint or penalty on usage, larger ships with plenty of internals could gain an advantage from them that outweigh most other aspects, making them a de facto choice or path of least resistance.

I don't want to remove them (and if I did, the complaint that large ships will get wrecked would surely be even more persuasive) and I don't want to inflict an arbitrary, hard limit (remember, this is not about creating an even playing field *between* combatants, it's about offering *competitive choices* for combatants). What these changes are for is to see if we can't decrease the effectiveness of shield cells, and especially chaining them, whilst increasing a potential alternative - hull reinforcement.

Now there's an interesting argument/fear about relying on hull rather than shields, which is sub-system sniping.

A little while back, we decreased the size of pretty much all sub-system targets significantly and we stopped the power plant destruction from being an instant kill. Gimbal and turret weapons suffer from inherent confusion, limiting their ability to hit small targets and we reduced the range of most weapon's penetration. Even still, sub-system targeting needs to be useful, otherwise why have it?

So will sub-system sniping become the new path of least resistance if shields break more often? That's something I'd like feedback about from these changes. If it turns out to be the case, we have multiple options to address it: we can increase module health, increase damage reduction for fitting hull reinforcement packages and of course scale back the penalties for shield cells, as well as offer protection from modules with the loot system.

So the point here, as is always the case when we make design tweaks, to try out stuff in anger and get feedback from it that will ultimately help us improve the game.

Do you think he means 20+ seconds from when you press the 'fire SCB' button, or 20+ seconds from when you activate a bunch of SCBs from the module tab on your RH panel?

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 13, 2015

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

RabidWeasel posted:

Another thing I didn't mention earlier is that base hull strength is now even less important since it's hugely overshadowed by hull reinforcements. For example an Eagle filled up with hull reinforcements has more armour than a stock FAS. So in some aspects this makes the naturally 'hull tanky' ships worse as there's no way to compensate for having poo poo shields. It's probably not even worth fitting shields to some ships now, in terms of pure survivability, though repair costs are obviously a factor.

Operation Powerbottom is back :)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

no_recall posted:

Unsure this has been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAyaGyhiQ0

This made my day.

That man's friend interdicted me last week. We duked it out in our Condas and he eventually won the battle of the SCBs.

Fortunately he didn't kill me after he took out my drives and told me to await his friend who was a Huge Man. Hughmann eventually turned up and opened comms, he sang one of his songs and we chatted. Turns out they were doing some charity stream so my de-panting was watched by a fair few people :(

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
How about don't loving do it.

Not enjoying this craze of games that charge for you to be a beta tester (do other games actually do this?) Fair play to them tho that people are willing to pay a premium for it.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You can't mass lock any ship that's high waking...

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I was playing about at our own station in 63 G and noticed we had gimballed C3 pulse.

The outfitting isn't all that bad

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You all look like you're having fun.

Kinda excited now

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Nation posted:

EMERGENCY DISENGAGE

This. See how close you can stop when you're travelling at light speed

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
They should just let you buy it stripped beyond what's needed to let you take off and land.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean, you can resell components at cost so you basically can plus one step.

I know. Skip the step. I don't think anyone flies out with two lovely c1 pulse lasers unless you're in the starter sidey

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
13 seasons of King of the Hill and a second monitor is a good podcast

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Someone at work recommend Dan Carlin; he's pretty interesting.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Update drivers and Direct X would be my only suggestion sorry

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

HiroProtagonist posted:

Huh. Already killed one and saw absolutely no mission target sign. I'll keep an eye out for it though. Thanks.

The thing about the mission target text, its main distinguishing feature, is that it's black.

And the thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is that it's black.

Bonus points for the getting the reference

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Yeah it's a bug. In my opinion, the funniest one.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
They're not all explorer based btw

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

HiroProtagonist posted:

What about rank progress? Do they have any significant our mentionable effect on whichever one is applicable?

Not really no, as rank progression comes from doing missions. There may be some possible cross over tho

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
In my opinion, that thing they use for wing member nav locks that auto drags you in when you're 5s away, they should use that for nav locking anything

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The drifting specks of light sooth the darkness in my heart.

Enough to forget my nightmares.

Oi, you!

What's your colour matrix?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Trading is going from a to b then back again, non stop, using one of the online tools if you want to min max. It's far from complex

If you don't mind gimping yourself and want to put a bit of thought in, you could go from station to station and use the 'traders bible', see where you end up.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mitchicon posted:

Will Frontier ever save the FD, or is it always going to be a sad gimmick?

I thought the FAS was intended to be the FD Mk II?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
The FD does look kinda cool with the pirate skin, that's a plus I guess

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Betas are kept on your HD yes, you need to go into the directory and manually delete them.

Maybe the extra bits will allow them the possibility of automatically deleting them?

Unfortunately there was no fallout from the decision to go 64 bit. Was hoping for a wee bit of drama. Maybe some will come later when some people realise they're still running a 32 bit OS and find out you can't just upgrade to a 64 bit version.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 15, 2015

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Added 'terrorist' NPC archetype - This could go bad

Also, wtf is a greebal?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mike the TV posted:

64 bit also locks out macs as a platform, so the small percentage of Mac users who play Elite would be poo poo out of luck if the base game upgraded to 64. And the rest of us on PCs would see virtually no discernable difference.

What?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Even tho I laugh at people playing on OSX as opposed to just being normal and dual booting. I'm pretty sure since Mavericks it's been 64bit only no?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

KakerMix posted:

Don't vape angry :ohdear:

If you do it may lead to embarrassment online and potential erectile distinction

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHdf_6tILU

Is this a new feature? Rapid launching

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Also very amused at how the game has gone from released to early access

Cute

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I meant more the running joke is that the game has yet to ever come out of early access

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Yup. Since release last year the game has been perfect and each point release has just added to this perfection.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I love the additions for 1.5. My DBS now rocks!

But the planet stuff so far isn't doing it for me, also didn't help my buggy didn't have default bindings and it was not fun setting them up.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You can delete some of that. The betas don't auto remove once they're finished

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
http://www.gfycat.com/SmoggyRegularAcornweevil

Horizons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it to late to get the exclusive ship.

What, the Cobra mk IV?

You can have mine if you want, it's poo poo.

• Locked thread