Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SquirrelGrip posted:

Now this has hit release on Xbone - is the background sim seperate or linked to pc?

Will i find diamond frogs?

The background sim is linked to pc, but pc and xbone players apparently inhabit different instances. So, basically, same city, different (and non-connected) boroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CQC is surprisingly fun. I really like the Condor and can't wait to cart one around the galaxy in a bigger ship.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

TRON JEREMY posted:

I just helped 4 police anacondas fight:

- one npc anaconda
- winged with two npc fer-de-lances
- and a pair of clippers

all at once.

Holy crap they did it. They made a game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, Hazardous RES are amazing. I pulled in 5 million in about 45 minutes thanks to an endless stream of 100k+ Clippers, Pythons, Dropships, Gunships, Assault Ships, Anacondas, etc. It was basically just a free for all. I haven't been doing PP poo poo in ages, so I don't have the bounty bonus anymore.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, the Imperial Eagle is definitely fun to fly, but man, the guns feel so anemic after even the Imperial Courier, nevermind the Vulture. I think I've been completely spoiled.

Also, does everything feel crisper to anyone else? Especially the HUD.

Yeah, the HUD definitely feels better. Not sure what changed but it's nice. The text is easier to read somehow.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I took on a wing of an Elite anaconda and three of his Python buddies in that HazRES (my cannon was out of ammo so I was headed back to rearm anyway, and the FDL can easily outrun all of them), and holy poo poo don't ever do this solo. Everything was lasers and doom and then my shields went down in record loving time and I was running for my life.

I loved it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have been using the FdL for months now, and it's my baby. Now that power plant sniping has been nerfed I am swapping through various weapon loadouts to see what I like.

The nice thing about it is the speed. It can outrun almost anything else. The only things that can catch it (in a straight line) are Cobras and iEagles, and neither of them are much of a threat to it. The shields can be incredibly powerful with the right loadout as well.

Basically it gives you the luxury of being able to pick your fights. You can't be forced to stick with a fight that's not on your terms.

The jump range is complete poo poo, though, that is very true.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Any idea when we'll be getting 1.5 yet? I know "Holiday 2015" but that's a wide berth. They haven't said anything more specific, have they?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Has anyone else been keeping up with Isinona's youtube vids? How anyone can fly with FA off the way he/she does is extrememly absorbing to watch.

That dude is basically a space wizard.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah I have seen 1 mill missions but they usually require elite rank.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That loving planetary livestream is actually looking really awesome. Holy poo poo.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

iClippy thoughts

* Clipper is massive and I keep hitting poo poo I think I'd miss. I can finally orbit asteroids a bit but it took a while.
* Still power hungry with 4x lasers pouring out
* Ramming guys who are at 50% while you have full shields is in fact hilarious and effective
* Seriously thinking about swapping out my Large for multi-cannons just so I can pour damage into power plants when shields drop, which is maybe 25% of any given fight even with two mediums constantly firing. I don't mind reloads because its < 1 LS of a jump and I prefer a break so I don't do something stupid and lose a ton of turn-ins
* I have like 20m left and that feels bad

Don't use the large for MCs, MCs only go up to medium. Use two Large beams or pulses (whatever you can afford/run) in the larges and two MCs in the mediums. That setup worked really well for me.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo I have to buy that so that the SS gently caress you, got mine can live up to its proper glory...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQGbjLONDY

I'll take "Things I probably should have expected" for 1000. Dat Corvette, tho.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm assuming I only need to install the Horizons update, and don't have to worry about the 64-bit or 32-bit clients, right? Yes? I hope?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Getting the launcher to stay connected while simultaneously downloading seems to be a Sisyphean task.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Some random questions:

1. How do I bind UI focus for the srv without it unbinding the same button for flight controls? I want to keep it on the x52's pinky button on the stick but the game keeps unbinding flight/drive UI focus in order to bind the new one and I am sad man.

2. How do I know which bases have landing pads? How do I know which ones have which size pads? Oh god I am so confused.

3. Why don't I have a black Anaconda paint job? I preordered well before Black Friday and I was under the impression that all Horizons preorders got the black paint. Is this just another case of Frontier not putting out Anaconda paint jobs?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am so lost when it comes to SRV poo poo. Holy hell. This is kinda fun.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have no real idea about the whats or hows of driving the buggy around. Like what do I do, why would I want to do it? Is there a general guide anywhere? I am so lost.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shine posted:

Here you both go:

These explain basically everything about planetary landing, SRV operation, and the datalink scanner.

You, sir, are a hero. Thanks! Helped me out a lot.

Meanwhile, is it just me having a lovely framerate when I'm on/near the surface, or is that a thing that is happening to a lot of you?

EDIT:

nessin posted:

They really need to boost mission rewards. It's just freaking ridiculous for the time investment. I mean, I'm not against gaming the system to earn money as quickly as possible, but once I'm in something I enjoy and doing something I enjoy, I like to have a reason for doing it and missions give that. But no matter how pointless it is to run the mission because I don't need the money/rep/whatever (I'm not at that point anyways) it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth to do all that work for a pathetic reward in general.

This is true as gently caress. I know that they're putting more work into missions, but if X mission is still just "spend 30 mins. doing something to make 20,000 credits!" then it's stupid to even bother with it. I did see one "kill 76 pirates" mission for 3.3 million though (I took it, and murdered many pirates).

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 17, 2015

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Are you using Supersampling by any chance? Most people having bad FPS drops when switching to orbital cruise seem to have had it set to 1.5x or 2.0x.

Nope. It's at 1.0x, haven't touched it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How many spacebux should I have before even thinking of hitting up the 'vette? I don't have the rank for it, either, so it's sort of a moot point, but still.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Eyud posted:

SRV controls are set in the default profiles but I think if you've customized your binds you'll have to set them yourself.

If you're using SLI, you may need to add elitedangerous64.exe to Elite's profile via Nvidia Inspector. Otherwise I dunno, I haven't had any issues with Nvidia and this game.

Apparently the game ready driver they just released today (361.43) adds in support for SLI in 64-bit applications (including Elite), or somesuch. Haven't tried it yet.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

gently caress the rank grind, god drat. After a year of not being able to get any rank up missions whatsoever, I finally find a way to cheese it with the 17 Draconis stuff, and even then it's just mind-numbing relogging to collect missions. Over and over. That raise the bar by maybe 1% if you're lucky. It's loving terrible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

You just need to learn that the raving armada of thargoids has been inside you...all along.

Bill Cosby is a Thargoid. CONFIRMED.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Isinona makes me poop in fear while flying WAY TOO LOW above a planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbV3Zq62BA

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They'll probably just make it a variant of the Anaconda that has like, an extra fin or something, and then call it the Exploraconda and give it a slightly larger FSD range and double the price... alongside requiring max rank in both the Fed and Imperial navies. Because grind.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

3 posted:

Max Alliance rank, which they'll introduce in the same patch as the ship itself :unsmigghh:

You forgot to mention that the ranking missions will be broken for 6 months or more, as well.

Despite my snark, I love this game. I am just jaded by the grind. I am glad that it's a game and not a pile of JPEGs and promises, though.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I wish I could load up a Viper or something but I'll take an iEagle or Condor/iFighter, I suppose.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The real counter to the Thargoid threat:

https://gyazo.com/1341abbf56e1cf670a11ad8f776af0a2

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Cannons were nerfed heavily in the beta, especially their projectile speed.

It was probably needed, they used to be god tier. They went a bit too far though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUZLxcBRFQ

I miss the old cannons. The current ones are a huge pain in the rear end to actually get to fire (they never seem to fire when I want them to), let alone actually hit anything. Their velocity is so low that I'm pretty sure I could throw something at the target and have a better chance of hitting it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm trying to find a HazRES or compromised beacon out somewhere near the Lave cluster, and I'll be damned if none of them are turning up. I'm sad right now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I decided to fire Elite back up and go shoot some stuff today, and lo and behold the x52 pro drivers are hosed up in Win 10 again... meaning I have to install the stick as a generic USB device and thus can't do poo poo like map all the keys, etc.

How the gently caress can this STILL BE HAPPENING, MadCatz? poo poo...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

poo poo, those changes are nice. Good QOL and some much-needed variety, plus HUGE MULTICANNONS AND LASERS MOTHERFUCKERS. I might just have to go back to my beloved FDL.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I know is that I want that multi-cannon goodness on the belly of my FDL right fuckin' now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

When is this latest update going to be rolling out? Do we even know yet?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So back to the FDL it is, then. Maybe the fsd upgrade will let it hit the mythical 20 ly jump range.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

There's so much new poo poo now that I almost don't know how to process it all. I still haven't really hosed around with the buggies, and now all the things are changing. It's daunting, but also nice to see.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I want is less grind. Let me do something other than maximize cr/hour, ffs. I want to love this game, but I log in and look at the crazy grind required to do just about anything and then I log back out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Beluga looks cool enough (I'm not terribly interested in ferrying nerds around). I haven't touched ED in a few months and I sorta want to get back into it. Ship-launched fighters seems like the perfect reason to.

Also, is there any sort of guide for the engineers? I have exactly zero clue what the gently caress they do, where they are, what they want, or how to even find them, so any info is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That ship transfer thing might make poo poo like mining almost sorta not a soul-scarring experience.

Hopped in-game today for the first time in a while. Managed to figure out surface prospecting and the like after copious googling. The blaster guy upgraded my huge multi-cannon a bit. Now he wants me to get Praesodymium (or whatever the gently caress it is) and after looking it up... it looks like it's a mining-only thing (like Painite)? Yeah. I'd rather get bone cancer. Goodbye, Mr. Engineer guy, it was nice knowing you.

• Locked thread