Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
So, based on the content of the OP and shitposting that followed, I'm guessing that playing the game with other people is tedious and less fun than playing by yourself?

Edit: Also looks like the good news from planetary expansion is that they are abandoning updates to space content and will not actually fix the broken behind the scenes faction/simulator. The game is about an inch deep, and every time I log in I have tons of fun for about an hour because the combat engine is good, but none of the ships or AI are designed to provide any depth or variety in engagements, so I quickly uninstall.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Depends on what you're doing. Flying with others is good for the terrible merit grind if you're into that, or for PvP it can be a lot of fun. For RES grinding or whatever it divides your profits up so sucks.

Murdering police remains the most fun you can have in game as a group, but is lots of fun. With our own faction, we might even have a reason to murder cops again other than "because it owns and is fun."

I suspect if we want to get good at our own faction thing, once we see how those mechanics work, we should have squads that run missions and murder cops together to maximize fun having while doing the tedious poo poo. Eve sloshops meets ED's tedious grind.

Why is there tedious poo poo. Why not fun poo poo that also consequently turns a profit.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Yeh I've dodged them so far

Went to a different system and manged to wing another NPC in a huge firefight and got a 600 fine. At least I had 300k of bounties to turn in first.

Wait, they still have the accidental-tag-an-NPC-with-stray-shots-because-NPC-moves-into-the-way-of-your-guns-while-you-are-shooting-an-enemy-causes-you-to-be-shot-at-and-ruthlessly-hunted-by-sector-security? I would have thought by now they would have added something like three shots and your out, or only KOS when your fine is like 10k.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Zaardvark posted:

I may dabble with CQC, but the part of Horizons I'm most interested in will be driving a space buggy.

Horizons will be the station walking (Eve Online) of Elite. It will be a one room tech demo with absolutely no reason to be there.

The only content they should be adding is more co-op activities.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 22, 2015

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

RubberJohnny posted:

That update has basically given me hope for the future of this game - it sucks to see features from the original DDA like player carriers for starfighters stuck behind what is presumably going to be a paywall (unless it's coming with Ships), but everything else seems good - a character creator and multicrew seem like the first steps towards 'spacelegs', which is the thing I want the most in this game.

As Star Citizen looks to be collapsing, I need this more than ever.

Star Citizen was never not collapsing. The entire thing was a scam. 5 years from now people will finally allow themselves to admit it.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Yup. Since release last year the game has been perfect and each point release has just added to this perfection.

Seriously, how hard is it to make a co-op space sim? This has got to be the worst implementation I've ever seen.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Sylink posted:

Is Horizons any better at all? Did they make missions fun? I want planetary landings but if its the same poo poo but now in a rover I dont know why bother.

I watched a stream of Horizons last night. It is pretty much what you would expect to find while exploring a vast atmosphere-less planet or moon: hundreds of miles of boring nothing with repetitive debris clutter. Why yes, of course it would be good optics to add planets, but it is just another super shallow game mode. Wouldn't want to add any engaging content to the game.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Libluini posted:

I'm not lashing out, but your opinions are bad. By your logic, every game is feature-incomplete, because every game will lack something you want. Frontier made a conscious choice to do some things first and others later, that's all.

Going into a game's thread and talking about the flaws, maybe making a few jokes about them, that's OK, everyone does that. But you come here and talk about those flaws as if we don't know. Newsflash: Some of us are playing the game since 2014. We know.

Saying things like "I'm expecting more from a games developer :smug:" is, while technically true since it's your subjective opinion, also a rather dumb thing to say. From my viewpoint it sounds like you're saying "I'm an entitled shithead and I don't even notice" when you say things like this completely unironically. Especially if everyone can see that Frontier put already a lot of work into their game and continue to work at it.

I mean this is like if I would go into the Diablo III thread and write down a long and boring rant about how everything I don't like about the game is a fundamental flaw and if Blizzard weren't just lazy shitheads, the game could be golden. It would be funny to rile them up, but it would be trolling, not discussion.

So now I am slowly realizing I'm writing a serious analysis about your trolling. gently caress, it's 3am and I should be asleep, let's stop this nonsense.

We get it, you don't like Elite. You don't need to tell us your vision of how the game should look, make your own drat game if you think Frontier does everything wrong. You could call it Assassin's Creak or something. :v:

Elite is a bad game though. The shallow gameplay/content, broken unfinished systems, and lack of co-op or fun multiplayer should be a bigger deal in this thread than it is. People should be pissed that Frontier keeps throwing new game modes into the game when the old stuff hasn't been fixed or fleshed out, and the new stuff is still as shallow as the old stuff.

It's not as if those of you still playing the game are going to stop playing the game and talking about it just because someone wants to make their negative opinion known in the same thread.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 7, 2016

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Either Elite is a bad game and we're all dummos -or- Elite isn't a bad game, it's just not for everyone, and you are the dummos. People are pissed Frontier keeps throwing new game mods into the game when the old stuff hasn't been fixed or fleshed out, but what are we supposed to do about it besides make jokes, post :frontear:, and talk about how they could improve it? Are we all supposed to be in here, madly proclaiming the game is bad and posting about it non-stop? Do we have a strict complaints quota which we all have to meet based on how mad we are about our spacegame at any moment? The guy made his opinions known in the thread, people blew him off, and he got mad. Big fukkin' deal, nobody cares about your opinion, nobody tried to change it, heck he even was engaged in a normal conversation yet still wanted to be all pissy. Here, let me do what I guess (???) you expect we should do:

"Wow Frontier is bad and Elite is bad, you are correct I'm mad as hell and I will take your comments seriously as I go forward in my life post this information which has never been brought up before."

It isn't like people posting (over and over again) about how they feel about the game is going to do anything besides annoy those of us that have heard it all before, just like it isn't going to stop anyone from playing the game.

Option B is that no one should respond to my post and simply digest it for what its worth. I wasn't looking for a response.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Good Dumplings posted:

He said, as he posted things on an internet forum where people respond to public posts! I agree that there's not much to do in this spacegame, but man that was a stupid thing to say. "Don't like, don't read" is the kind of crap teenagers on Fanfiction.net call out as BS.

Also gently caress you for telling me to "digest" your post. This isn't the loving New Yorker, actual human beings read text.

Maybe you'll get a chance to blow me up the next time I log into the game.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Good Dumplings posted:

And then you'll send me a bunch of direct mails about how "Option B was to leave me alone" or whatever? What a great idea for me to digest. Digest it and poop it right into an idea toilet.

Goddamn, that's still getting me. You used a thesaurus for that, didn't you?

I've just had that stupid word rolling around in my head all week. I think it was because I was thinking about how stupid the name Reader's Digest is and how society views it now that it has lost the prestige of being the go-to place for launching a career as a writer.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Veotax posted:

Apparently even planets on the other side of the galaxy pull from the same pool of random events, so you'll find plenty of crashed ships and tiny outposts defended by drones on unexplored planets. That's what they say over on the official forums, anyway.

Hopefully that'll change at some point.

This is pretty funny, yet not at all unexpected.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I haven't played Elite since a year after it came out, but I just read the past two pages of this thread and it looks like all the gameplay systems are still broken shallow unfun grind fests. Have they made the game fun yet?

My friend is getting a new computer soon and I'd like to play coop space mans, but I'm not sure if this game has made coop fun.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Gort posted:

It would be cool if they could make the bits of the game that are really fun (for me it's flying a ship dangerously, but for others it's going thousands of lightyears into deep space alone) more rewarding than the grind though. Best of both worlds and that.

I realize that they don't want to do eve, but they shot themselves in the dick by not having outright pvp and station/base management. No fleet engagements, no coordinated mining ops, no player convoys, no pirating, no peacekeeping, etc. Just rando encounters with random generated ships in a small radius.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Ugghhhhh. gently caress this game. Every time it looks like they have fixed something or added something fun, they neuter it.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Again, this: it doesn't remove the fun. Everyone is frustrated because multicrew is now another addition to a long list of activities that only really open up and become fun when you are so rich that you don't care about spacemoney...

Question: What effect does killing ships have other than earning money or cargo? Last I heard faction stuff was still gimped and broken; with player actions not providing any sort of measurable effect unless performed enmasse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Can't find the link to voicecomms/chat for Diamond Frogs/goons

• Locked thread