Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Lol I can't use the mouse at all in E:D now

Like the cursor is glued to the center of the screen and when I move on say the map it appears but only moves a pixel in whatever direction and immediately resets

I have to use it for the drat map because I don't want to spend 3 hours setting up HOTAS to have controls that make any sense yet here we are

Go into Menu and switch the control scheme then flip it back, that worked for me.

They released any information about new ships or Modules in 1.5 yet?

Or any information about making the fitting screen less painful? Or less Generic than "Grade X" modules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

H13 posted:

See, I hated the Viper. I greatly prefer the Cobra when it comes to combat.

Did they changed the ships recently?

Because back in 1.2 the Viper was better than the Cobra.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

I don't think that's promised for 1.5/Horizons specifically, but just in the next "season" of expansions. I wish they'd give out more concrete ideas on when we should be expecting these features to roll out because they're pretty high on the list of "poo poo we want" where the player base is concerned.

What everyone else said. I used to power down as low as possible coming into large stations but don't anymore. Running the Sothis missions last night I would just approach the station and at about 4km out I'd go into silent running and poo poo a hockey puck out the rear end of my ship to bring my head down below 10% for just long enough to get in the gates. I'd do the same on the way out since I was still carrying illicit cargo and it's not unheard of for system security to hit you with a scan as you leave.

The speed thing is true as well, though you risk ramming another ship and potentially losing your own if you bounce off of enough surfaces. Even if a scan starts, if you can get through the mail slot, it won't finish. That's why you'd want to get through fast. With the silent running and hockey pick (Heat sync) method I don't really have to boost or hurry myself in. (knock on wood)

I just ultra-cheesed the mission generator at Sothis and only picked up missions that ended at outposts.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:siren: ATTENTION SMUGGLERS :siren:

Here's one crazy trick to prevent your rear end from being scanned by the po-po:

Pop a chaff

You can't be scanned while chaff is active!

Old Johnny Law Hates this trick!

Option #2.

Just let them scan you and laugh off a the 1% loss.

I was super paranoid about getting scanned until it happened and I saw the fine was only 10k. After that I stopped caring.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Guess I better hop on the Sothis train before it gets patched if I ever want to fly a ship bigger than a Vulture.

Out of curiosity, who has made the bulk of their funds through exploits / poor design choices? I managed to grind myself up to a few million the old fashioned way, but most of my money came from farming combat credits under the shadow of that Battleship in the old broken combat zone event, and and then another big chunk from a server update or something putting everyone into the top 1% for missions they hadn't turned in yet.

Without those I'd probably be in a D-fit Vulture at best.

I would say about 90% of my net worth comes from cheese.

Cheese just pays so well. I ran exploration for a week and came back with a 5M pay day. I ran Sothis once over 2 hours and came back with 50M payday.

They need to find a middle ground between months of grinding and Sidewinder to Anaconda in a week.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Right, cannons loving suck as a player because gimbaled isn't perfect, nor is player aim

NPCs however don't seem to be restricted and will nail you perfectly

It doesn't help that gimbles are required on some ships because of hardpoint placement and convergence issues.

Cobra MkIII, I'm looking at you.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

They're making the Eve mistake of ignoring their core gameplay while they add new features that seldom work nearly as well as they describe.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

thetechnoloser posted:

I'm finally in the market to upgrade my rares-trading/sothis run Cobra (which is kitted out with pretty much A class everything).. Looking at an Asp. Looking to basically stay multi-role, so that I can also dabble in a little CZ if I so do so / defend myself if I get interdicted.

I've got about 45mill with 5 mill buffer for rebuys in the bank, anyone have any loadouts to recommend, or should I just go hog wild A class on everything? Should I just hold out and build a bankroll for a Python? I might try some exploring, which I would imagine would be much much harder in a Python compared to a Cobra/Asp.

For reference, here's my current Cobra setup.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4E4A3D3A3A4C0s0s24240j0403034501-2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4A4A3D3A3D4C1b1b24240n04-5d45---.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

I use something similar when I was grinding CZs.

You're better off purchasing a Vulture or Courier though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OriginalPseudonym posted:

"Those weapons you have will fetch a pretty price", said the pirate NPC before opening fire. On a Cobra, with no hardpoints, and 25 metric tons of literal poo poo in the cargo hold.

:downs:

I had a pirate attack my Cobra for it's two Cargo Limpets.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Discretion is the better part of Valor.

Shift all your power to engines and run like hell.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

Kill missions have worked like that for as long as I can remember. I got to viscount with the empire by stacking a ton of "go kill X number of pirates" missions and then running and completing them all in about 20 minutes, because as you said, one kill counts for all the missions simultaneously.

Sothis smuggling may have died down, but it still owns for doing this.

Ceos is the only inhabited system near by so you can reroll the board for 50 "Kill pirates" missions and do them all at once.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The black box missions (and any of the USS look for salvage ones as well) always spawn a cop meant to chase you down. Even in an anarchy, cop-less system you will get interdicted by a the space police. If you let this anarchy cop scan you they say everything is fine and then fly away. Nothing is illegal in anarchy systems thus there are no laws and no illegal anything let alone black boxes. It's :frontear: as gently caress.

The best is if you have active missions and go on a long exploration journey.

Those fuckers are still there 5000LY chasing after you.

1.5 is supposed to have mission improvements. That and the new ships have me more excited than rovers.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sard posted:

Any recommendations for a system to move to and start stacking kill missions to rank up with the Federation? I know Tun's good for donations, but it didn't seem to have much in the way of combat and assassination.

Sothis/Cleos.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sard posted:

Holy poo poo that's farther than I thought, even after reading all the smuggling posts. I found something closer that might work, though: Arexe. It's in the Lave area, full of missions aligned with the Federation, and so far all of the combat ones have been situated in Orrere.

The advantage of Cleos and Sothis is that they are the only two settled systems with in ~400 LY.

You refresh the board for 5 minutes and can end up with 20+ "Kill 5 pirate" missions all of which are in the other system.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The problem with nerfing SCBs is that stupid pubbies love unintuitive, overpowered poo poo.

They want there to be "One Weird Trick" to win a fight and SCBs provided it. If you ran a meta-SCB ship against people who didn't think to put 5 SCBs offline and cycle them you had a huge advantage.

Now you're taking away their "skill".

I'll give kudos to Frontier for actually following through with the nerf. To many developers just scream "EMERGENT GAMEPLAY" and ignore it when stuff is overpowered.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm waiting to see the Cobra MkIV myself.

It's all theory at this point but even if the Cobra Mk4 doesn't deliver the Viper Mk4 is looking good for Multi-Role and Mission running.

If the Cobra Mk4 gets the same level of boost that the Viper did I think we're in a for a treat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

The agility rating for the Viper Mk4 has me extremely concerned that it will actually suck balls though, if someone with beta access could confirm that it's good then that would be nice. And it still only has a C3 power distributor.

When I tested out the Viper mk4 it felt pretty sluggish at times.

But a post on Frontier's forums from someone who did testing said it was with in 5% of the Viper's values for agility.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I like how they've spent like a couple of months dreaming up an SCB nerf then immediately walk it back.

When the whole loving thing could have been fixed in 5 minutes "Module Limit: 1". One day developers will stop trying to be clever and just fix something instead of tip toeing around.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kowboat posted:

Basically why I'm not looking forward to the Cobra mk4. If it's slower, it loses the ability to outrun things, at which point you're better off in a bigger/tougher ship anyway.

The privilege of picking your battles is worth a lot more than centered hardpoints. :colbert:

I think they need to clarify the whole "No ship is obsolete" thing 'cause as far as the Brown Sea is confirmed it means all combat ships should be side grades of the Sidewinder.

It is disappointing to have 300 Million in the bank and still spend all my playtime in an Asp or Cobra.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Winning move, not to play, etc.

Although unless they ramp up the base price of the MkIV several million dollars, this is not something beyond the grognards most likely to complain it not being free.

But if they didn't complain, they wouldn't be grognards, either. :rolldice:

Grognards were already bitching that the Mk4 would make the Mk3 obsolete before anyone knew any of the specs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TorakFade posted:

So now that my hopes of a good Cobra Mk IV are crushed :frontear: I'll have to come up with new ideas for a multirole gently caress-around ship... something that can haul a rover, big jump range, decent cargo space and combat capabilities. I'm guessing the Asp is the best suited... it's the only one with enough internals to fit all the stuff I'd want (AFM, rover, 16+ cargo space, fuel scoop) and still be able to somehow fight and jump decent distances. Or the good ol' Cobra mk III ...

the thing I look forward to is having 90 ammo on the space shotgun. With the nerfs to energy weapons' ability to gently caress up hulls, the good old twin pulse laser Vulture will need a facelift: I was thinking about c3 beam + c3 cannon as has been suggested many times, but I think that with the Vulture's ability to glue itself to any other ship's rear end, a 90 ammo frag cannon could juuuust be what I need :getin:

How to design Variants of Existing Ships,
By Frontier

Step 1: Take the defining characteristic of the base craft and remove it
Step 2: Nerf Agility and Speed, 'cause gently caress you
Step 3: Add a superfluous bonus that is meaningless in the ships intended role
Step 4: Ignore Feedback

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Nah let's have like 10 ships with the same guns that cost ~500k or less, that seems fun and cool somehow

And lets give most of them 2M/2S hardpoints with about a ~20-25 LY Jump range.

Libluini posted:

Actually, the Viper Mk. IV is better then the Cobra, since it not only has better armor and shields, but also higher jump range plus enough internals for an easy explorer-fit, including a landing vehicle. The DBS and the Asp Scout don't have enough internals to fit everything and the Cobra III and IV have less jump range.

From my view point, the choice is clear. In the beta, I've already outfitted a Viper IV as my go-to ship for exploration inside the bubble.

Apart from that, I agree fully. It's just from an explorers viewpoint, the ship flaws are basically reversed. Think about this for a moment: If you want a shield and a little bit of cargo in your explorer, you need at least six free module slots: Shield, Cargo, Fuel Scoop, SRV, Detailed Scanner, Advanced Scanner.

From the line-up of exploration ships, the Asp Explorer is the only one with enough space. The only one! In all other exploration-ships, you have to make sacrifices just to do the role the ship was made for!

It's kind of bad design if a combat ship like the Imperial Courier is technically a better explorer then almost every explorer-ship because it at least can carry around all the modules you need for exploration.

I would like to hear what Frontier was thinking about this, they added all this crap explorers can find (on planets and in space) but made it so most exploration-ships can't fit cargo or landers.

The Viper Mk4 only has 1LY more jump range than the Cobra Mk3 with equal fittings.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I hope the next expansion, patch or whatever they are calling it release a bunch of ships to fill out the ~10M, ~50M and ~200M price points.

We're missing a multi-role and fighter for ~10M, and explorers at 50M and 200M.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I hope they go through eventually with a balancing pass on all the ships.

Given the new ships for Horizons I don't.

They'll end up listening to the '84 grognards and making every ship terrible.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I think the Cutter is good?

But you're looking at nearly $1b to outfit one.

The cutter is a good cargo boat, but people were hoping for a bigger newer Clipper. Something that can haul some tonnage or be outfit to fight.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm going to buck the trend and say the Corvette is good. It's noticeably more nimble than the Anaconda which means with a little skill and aim you can land PAC shots on anything larger than a Cobra with some practice.

The Corvette is probably the best of the new ships.

The Cutter is pretty good for a Cargo boat, but pretty bad at anything else. People were hoping for a bigger Clipper and didn't get one.

The Asp Scout isn't terrible, it is just outclassed by a hull 1/10th its size and is worse than the Asp Explorer in every possible way.

The Keelback, Viper Mk4 and Cobra Mk4 are all bad ships.

Maybe the Keelback will be good when you can launch a fighter. And maybe the Mk4s will find their niche, but right now they're just bad ships. And to make matters worse there are good ships in the same price range.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

I kind of like the Cobra Mk IV because of its extra internal bays. I kind of wanna use it as like a planetary-landing home base. There's room for a 2-car vehicle bay while still having some cargo racks to hold my loot from doing whatever down there, as well as still some decent defenses. It loses a lot of its speed, but I think it works as an inexpensive space-poor mothership.

It doesn't have decent defenses.

It has almost the worst defenses in the game.

It is far too slow to run from anything while still having poo poo shields.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

Is it possible to exhaust higher paying bounty targets in a given system? I've been flying around doing bounties at one particular High Intensity RES, and where before I was seeing an endless parade of Pythons, Fer-de-Lances, and Anacondas, I'm suddenly starting to see nothing but Sidewinders and Eagles. Mostly the former, at that.

It's kind of frustrating when those beautiful 200,000 bounties turn into dipshits with 5,000.

It is all RNG based.

There is a "seed" value in a RES or instance of a system that determines what type of NPCs spawn there.

Keep disconnecting/reconnecting until you get a good one.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I also swear they made shields a lot thinner in general.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KakerMix posted:

As far as I can tell the biggest thing with materials is going to a pristine system as that seems to kick out more pinata rocks. I haven't personally determined a difference between a rocky body or ice body or metal body but that doesn't mean there isn't one, just if there is the rng overwrites it. You'll find metallic asteroids on everything after all. And like has been said go to the flattest, brightest area to generate the materials. It's ground USSs, it does not take into account hills, mountains or colors on the planet surfaces for generation so might as well make it easy.
Now if only I could turn up my wave scanner volume so I didn't have to stop every once and a while to listen to it since the tires are louder than it.

Even in a pristine system almost all of the materials were Iron, Nickle, Sulfur and Phosphorus.

My biggest bitch about the fuel and ammo in SRVs is that it gave them an excuse to make 90% of the drops poo poo.

You drive around in a buggy shoot rocks that let you... drive around in a buggy and shoot more rocks. So you can drive around in a buggy and shoot more rocks. All while hoping you get something that doesn't suck.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

When the gently caress is Frontier going to roll out something that's actually loving sexy and works well in it's intended role? The FDL is close but it just doesn't do it for me like some of the Caldari ships from Eve or even a few of the offerings CIG has managed to churn out. Aside from lack of depth (Which isn't even a huge issue for me) the lack of some truly sexy ships is the only other problem I have with ED.
The fitting system needs a total revamp.

A complete ground up redo of the entire module, compartment, hard point and utility system.

Hopefully when they release some non-starter ships in the 10m-100m price range we start seeing some better ships. But I think the newest set was doomed from the start by their hull cost.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rah! posted:

There are around 400 billion systems right? They'll never all be explored.

No, but they'll get increasingly hard to find or travel to.

My Experience is:
With in 500 LY of Sol everything is explored
500-1000 LY - most things are explored
1000-1500 LY - sporadic exploration
1500+ rare exploration

Obviously if you had towards major landmarks it is more explored.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

So the asp is really the only long-range explorer out there outside of an unshielded 'conda, right? Switching back to the junk-looking cockpit is such a letdown after flying the FDL for a while.

Yes.

In the infinite wisdom of their ship designer there are about a dozen 20-25ish LY exploration ships and 2 that can break 30LY.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gasoline posted:

What would a high-end explorer even be?

40 LY jump range and dual power plants so you can AFMU them and some sort of hull regeneration.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm having problems breaking into exploring. As it stands, I'm flying an adder with a basic discovery scanner and an detailed surface scanner. I usually just set my map to show only the stars with the highest probability of habitable planets (FGK) and just... meander.

Most of the systems I find have very few, if any, planets. I have yet to find one that's high value. I made way more money just doing surface recovery missions (salvage, escape pods), and I'm sort of wondering if I should just wait to continue exploring until I can spend the money on an advanced discovery scanner.
Wait until you can afford an Advanced Scanner and Detailed Surface Scanner.

Some stats from my last Space Madness to Sagittarius A* and back:

2678 Systems Scanned
~55,000 LY Traveled
~62,000,000 Credits Earned

That trip took about a month of casual play to complete.

Exploration is to cure Space Madness, not make money.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Can stations have sales on ships and equipment? Or do I have to rely on Li Yong Rui's 15% discount for my major buying needs?

I'm saving up for a Federal Assault Ship so I'm just curious if I can get it cheaper than the market price somewhere.

We should all pledge to LYR for a week and expand him into Xihe.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

El Grillo posted:

I'm genuinely impressed that the E:D community is big enough to support something like that, I had assumed those numbers were Frontier hyperbole. Do we have sales figures for Horizons yet?

More money = more chance this game gets more stuff more quickly!

http://steamspy.com/app/359320

Something like 700K people have purchased the game on Steam or activated their key on Steam. With about 10% of those active in the last two weeks.

E:D is going better than people realize. It doesn't seem to get nearly the press attention that other games get. I think some of that is due to the demographic skewing older than the typical hit game that has streamers and a 24/7 hype machine.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

They hosed up hard with the limited amount of granularity on module sizes - going up or down a size class on FSD or power distributor or hardpoints is a huge jump in effectiveness so there just isn't that much 'play' in the system for them to make a variety of effective ships. This is why unladen hull mass is such a clusterfuck stat, because it's the only way that they can make ships have meaningfully different jump ranges (like taking an asp from C5 to C4 FSD makes it go from 30+ LY range to ~14-15LY)

It's extra weird because the system is still jammed full of 'magic numbers' so the fact that 2 ships use the same engines or shields means nothing, they could have scrapped the whole module size system entirely with a minimal amount of game impact and just kept the E => A progression for each slot, though I suppose that fails to give the illusion of depth.

The only mechanics in the game that doesn't rely on hidden magic numbers for each hull are the FSD stuff and cargo.

Maneuverability, power plant, speed are all pure magic number.

Their fitting system and the stats behind the ships are probably the biggest lingering time bomb in the game right now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

I'd like a more powerful surface scanner. Something that doesn't require me to be < 4Ls from smaller more dense planetoids.

Or a Space Horn that auto scans the junk Ice/Rock planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The RNG aspect of loot is a wonderful idea.

Time and time again games have shown that adding RNG for advancement means people accept their first results and adjust themselves accordingly. They certainly do not either rage quit or endlessly reroll the same item until they get their desired stats.

• Locked thread