Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

They're not wrong. It is pretty basic. The design of the game works against itself. By not having player-ownable space there is very little incentive to do anything. As of right now all you can do is get more money. More money = bigger ship. Once you get an Anaconda and completely outfit it...well that's it. You've won the game.

That's enough for some people I guess.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

As much as I love my vulture, I really want to move away from it. What would be the next logical step up in a bounty hunting / combat ship?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I know the OP is busy but any chance they could read over these last few threads and put the advice being dispensed out in the OP? Some great information that will sadly be lost to time within a week.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Well, my battle with game's aliasing ended with great success. After trying various options and failing to produce satisfactory result I decided to let Nvidia do the work and used recommended settings from Geforce Experience which decided to ignore ingame scaling in favour of it's own DSR and the result was stunning. It's amazing how much better the stations and cockpit looks without jagged lines everywhere. Just had to force vsync in control panel because ingame option was killing framerate for some reason and everything's perfect.

You were having issues too eh? I'm on a new computer. I have this issue where my video drivers will crash unless I downclock my GPU about -15 and then there is some fps drops during heavy combat. On a i5 6500 3.2 ghz, GTX 970, 16 gigs of RAM. I should run this game flawlessly- but get those crashes unless I downclock. Seems to be a common problem. It's only in Elite: Dangerous as well.

Edit: And it's not overheating.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hav posted:

Test your main memory with memtest86+, not the thing that Windows ships with. - http://www.memtest.org/

Seriously, I had some intermittent video card problems, and it turned out that my RAM wasn't as overclock tolerant as it claimed - and that's overclock in terms of manufacturers recommended, rather than loving around with settings.

Thanks for the advice but I'm more an amateur (even though I do build my PC's) and don't overclock. :shrug:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

tooterfish posted:

I've said it before, but my average supercruise journey is only a minute or two long. Even 100,000LS ones only take five minutes or so. It's only the absurdly long distance ones that take tens of minutes, and they're pretty rare so it's not that hard to just avoid them (seriously, no one except the terminally insane ever went to Alpha Centuri in Frontier either).

If you don't have the attention span to pilot a ship for a whole 60 seconds I've no idea what to say to you.

The problem is that travel is by it's very nature- dull. There is nothing interesting to do while doing it but alt tabbing and shitposting on SA. In doing so that helps break the immersion.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

tooterfish posted:

Yes very zen, playing without playing.

You know, not everyone gets all upset when a game interrupts their mindless min/maxing with loving gameplay, so I'd personally rather have more poo poo happen in supercruise than cut it out all together and turn the game into a charmless EvE clone.

While I too don't want cutting out supercruise, I think having something in the game that teleports you directly to whatever your target is in the system would be pretty handy, like jumping a few kilometers outside a targeted space port. That and it would solve the "takes 5 minutes to travel to station in system" problem that nobody likes.

Hell the easiest way to do it would be add the interdictor minigame to FSD travel between systems, and if you fail it you get put somewhere random in the system- which is potentially fatal.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 2, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sard posted:

I've posted this before but here it is again: ED should go further with what it takes from I-War 2. Supercruise is almost exactly the same as the interplanetary "linear displacement drive" mode from that, but even with LDS some trips could take a while. So they added a form of minor jumping where you could warp from any Lagrange point to any other Lagrange point in the system. Not only does this add convenience, it adds logical traffic bottlenecks close to planets. The current middle-of-nowhere events like conflict zones and security checkpoints could and should be shifted to these L-points. Suddenly civil war would matter a lot more as it disrupts travel in the afflicted system. Pirates would have better places to lurk, and smuggling would have more consistent scan risks. Best of all, in I-War 2 you'd sometimes have a spectacular traffic accident when a huge ship exits into a smaller one.

This honestly sounds way better than what we got. Smuggling would have to be given superior dividends to make up for this though- or have ways of hiding your cargo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Am I the only one who thinks crafting is a bad idea? Like, every drat game these days has some sort of hamfisted half-assed crafting component, do we really need "crafting" in this game as opposed to "varied, purchasable sidegrades like the bi-weave shield generator?"

It's typically way more interesting to players to use gameplay for obtaining something in games than just make ingame money to purchase it. The core of the problem really is that Elite needs depth in its gameplay, and most of what we have feels like it should be a placeholder.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Uhhh is anyone else having the terms and conditions just perpetually want to be signed on their website?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I was yeah. I never got through, ended up googling for a link to the launcher from the forums.

This is a problem, because I'm looking to actually buy the expansion. Oh well.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is the only way to buy Horizons on their website? It's basically not working for me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So earlier today some folks on reddit "leaked" a lucrative trade route originating on Achenar 3 here's the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDebwFrQdeU

1.) that base doesn't have a commodities market 2.) Achenar 3 is something like a 6G planet

Amazing.

:drat:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is a good outfitter near 63 G. Capricorni?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So I really want to get rank 5 with a galactic power, any galactic power, and get the 50 million payout for a few weeks to build a ship I'm interested in setting up. Is there a faction I can more easily do this in?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I keep mine at 1500 and that's a pain. Better to just RES hunt if you want money. You do the power stuff if you want a little bit of structure to your game. It's more for personal goals than anything else - like exploration.

I've got a decently setup Vulture but RES hunting is pretty slow going. Getting the 90 million together would be a real pain just doing RES I suspect.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Am I being crazy here when I say the federal gunship is a trash ship? The Federal Assault Ship is not only cheaper, but seems to be better as a fighter, and a ship in every possible way.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is there any stations in Li Yong space that has a good mix of trading and combat missions? I'm interested in setting up somewhere.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I think Frontier should actually try to play their game sometime without god-mode. Just take a week off, fire up a Sidewinder, play the game, and decide if they think it is actually fun.

This is a good post. I don't think Elite Dangerous should be EVE- and it couldn't sustain it because it can barely handle 50 people in the same sector.

That being said, I think the game is crying out for player-initiated content, a player-run economy, and player-owned space with more rewards than just More Money Bigger Ships. They seem to be hellbent on design decisions that worked decades ago when there wasn't much of an internet and not nearly the infastructure we have today. The game needs more depth, not breadth.

I am one of those players ruining the game not playing in Open Play anymore, because there is no player interaction beyond getting ganked. Don't get me wrong, ganking and getting ganked is great but there is no incentive at all for interacting with other players except to kill them. That is boring in a game that could have so much more of a metagame.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 28, 2016

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is the Merope 5 organic structure supposed to be invincible? I just shot thousands of rounds and even my own ship's weapons into it and nothing.

Trying to get my hands on a meta-material.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I have myself a Fer De Lance and while I really like the ship, just can't seem to get the weapons to work for me. As in, it feels weak. Anyone got a good weapon setup you would recommend? I prefer fixed weapons but am open to exploring other options.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

These were great suggestions thanks. Right now I'm using 4 fixed pulses and one huge multicannon (and gimbaled really is the right way to go) and gonna stick with it a while and see how I feel about it. It's working pretty well so far.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 2, 2016

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I love how people are getting up in arms about this ship transfer thing.

Yes. It's not realistic. The point is it's there because sometimes you need to sacrifice these things for good gameplay. People will get up in arms about good design decisions because it doesn't fit their perception of the game and courageous developers won't listen to this stuff if it legitimately makes the game better. Especially since nobody will actually quit the game over it.

Half of Elite's problem is them doubling down on dumb grognard poo poo like this and the other half is complete lack of depth and lack of things players can do together that is actually fun.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 22, 2016

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Anyone got any suggestions for a good FDL build? I got a class 4 gimbled autocannon and 4 pulse lasers but I'm just not feeling it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 5, 2017

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chrysophylax posted:

Like, apparently for each requested mission board they generate like 60-80 missions and display only an assortment of 20 at a time. It's all fine and dandy if they were 20 player-tailored missions. But they're not, they're this sperglord, stupid 'the universe doesn't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' immersion bullshit that satisfies exactly no one.

Yeah I wonder why they're continuing to run with this. People don't need to be reminded the universe doesn't care about them. You wake up everyday and everyone who isn't delusional realizes this at the start of their day. You can do a "the universe doesn't care about you" with good gameplay, good mission systems, player owned territory, player-based economy, rewarding players for being in a group and more group-based content...and so on and still have that theme alive and well in your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I enjoy the grognards freaking out when good gameplay ideas are introduced because it clashes with "immersion" and "realism". When this game is extremely unrealistic, and basically is a WW2 dogfighting arcade shooter.

Of course, that enjoyment turns to disappointment, because for whatever reason these are the idiots in charge of the dev team.

• Locked thread