Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you only bounty hunt you may as well stay in the Viper. The Cobra is marginally better but much more expensive. It really wins out on flexibility which it sounds like you don't need.

If you've got a bunch of credits burning in your pocket you can try one out though; it's a nice ship
Edit: Also I was disappointed that I couldn't store a ship with commodities in it. I wanted to keep some rare beer I flew almost 1million ls to get as a momento but when I was storing that ship to do something else it made me sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
How far out do you need to go before you start consistently finding unexplored systems? I've found a couple around red giants but the more promising ones are, predictably, explored. I'm going 'up' and around the galaxy instead of toward the middle. I haven't gone very far yet, I'm just wondering when I might start hitting pay dirt.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Joysticks are the preferred way to play for most people. It's a lot more fun that way.

If you enjoy flying a spaceship around and shooting stuff then it's a fun game and you should buy it. If you don't then unless you can really get off on looking up trading tables and running routes to make your balance go higher you can probably skip it. I like flying a spaceship around and shooting stuff so it's a good game for me. Not really deep though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yes, same thing, but you must have a cargo hold installed to have somewhere to put it.

Also make sure you move in really slow to capture the thing. Like 5-10 m/s. It's tough to line up.

Edit: I should say it's tough to line up for me in my space-land-whale (Asp).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nice thrusters so you can blow right through the 7.5 km into the mail slot are nice to have too.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I flew a vulture around for a while in low intensity combat zones. I had 2 gimballed pulse lasers and an A class shield. Anything below an anaconda was easy money. Anacondas were bit tougher because it took a while to destroy the hull, but even then if I could get them engaged with a couple other ships as well it was easy, good money.

I have an explorer Asp fitted right now and have made a couple small excursions. What are the best stars to look for to find earthlike/water/terraformable metal planets? F G and K?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I was doing a combat site with a vulture that has a rebuy of about half my cash in hand (I had plenty of assets I could have sold to keep flying but I'm not rolling in it) and a 1.7 million dollar combat bond total when four ships, including an Anaconda, decided to gangbang me. I started flying away but didn't realize how much poo poo I was in until my shields went down. I stored my weapons and started jetting away, but the ships pursued and my hull started melting. When I was at about 15% hull my thrusters malfunctioned. I was positive I was dead.

Then, with 2% hull integrity, the little FSD that could got its rear end in gear and boosted me away. I've never been so stressed in this game.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It took about a half hour of switching back and forth but I eventually made 23 mil on a smuggling run in my asp. Good times.

How long does it usually take for them to nerf this sort of thing? I'd like to get a couple more runs in.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Shine posted:

Instead of nerfing smuggling, they should add actual consequences for getting caught. If the police scan you and you have illegal poo poo, then have them threaten action if you don't drop it (as if you're being pirated). Drop it, and you get a fine. Refuse, and they open fire and you get a bounty. They could take it even further by having stations deny/revoke your docking permission if the local cops detect illegal cargo, again unless you drop it.

With consequences like that, there'd be a real reason to do some of the ninja silent running heatsink module shutoff stuff people talk about. As it stands, I just waltz up to the station, and if they scan me then big deal; I just got fined $30,000 for a mission that pays 10 to 300 times that. Right now smuggling missions are just freight missions that clutter my transactions screen.

Yeah, this would make far more sense and would balance it out pretty nicely.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, pulse is the way to go in a vulture. They burn through just about anything short of an Anaconda plenty fast enough, and even those fall before too long.

And don't feel too bad about the shield; I had a class 3 in mine when I was refitting it right after buying it and got my internal slots mixed up. I figured it out real quick when I went into a combat zone.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
On my two mining asp runs before I got tired of it I crash-stopped into a ring at <500 km/s and sustained little damage if any.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Picked up an assassination mission for some variety yesterday. Looked at 4 high tech stations for an interdictor before realizing it is an internal component and not a utility one. The mission itself (and running from the police after) was fun though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you like flying a space ship them Elite is a fun game. If you live and die by the meta game then it isn't that good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

jon joe posted:

This game looks interesting and I'm thinking of picking it up from the steam sale. I have a few questions, though:

The OP has a list of things you can do for money in order of their value. Can I do more than one of these things or is it like a class-based system where I pick one and my character is stuck as that?

Do players ever explicitly work together or is this all pretty much solo play with some interaction/PvP?

Am I going to be penalized in-game if I don't play regularly, or am I free to pick it up or put it down as I please?

There are no classes or skills, what you can do just depends on what ship you have at the time. Some ships are only really usable for one thing (trading, exploration or combat) while most can do at least a couple. You can experiment with fitting your ship pretty much without penalty since you can sell components back at the same price you paid for them, so if you kit out a ship for mining and decide mining is extremely boring you can sell that mining laser and buy a combat laser (or whatever) with no harm done. You can sell a ship back for a 10% loss which isn't too bad, but you can also store ships and come back to them later.

I don't do it much but there is cooperative play.

You aren't penalized for not playing at all.

Edit: Actually there is some penalty for not playing if you get involved in power play, which is optional and not really that good. Basically certain actions in game get you brownie points with a faction (merits) which will degrade over time. They degrade at the same rate whether you're logging in or not, but if you're not gaining more you'll slip in merit points.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 27, 2015

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

jon joe posted:

Is controller significantly better than keyboard and mouse for this game? Having trouble doing anything that isn't crashing into stations.

KB+M is easier for me to control than a controller once you get your presets set up in a way that you like. Just take it slow around stations and do the landing tutorial a few times and you should get the hang of it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Oh, and as a warning I tried to play this with a steam controller on a steamlink, made a controller binding, hated it, went back to play on my actual PC and had lost my joystick binding. Don't know why or if I did something wrong but watch out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Don't know if you've tried, but in similar situations I've deployed landing gear as soon as I get into the slot and it seems to slow you down faster.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DarthBlingBling posted:

They should just let you buy it stripped beyond what's needed to let you take off and land.

I mean, you can resell components at cost so you basically can plus one step.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well that was interesting. I got a mission to blow up a Fer-de-Lance. I got there and strafed it a few times with my Vulture. The shields went down and it went to zero velocity and rotated in place not moving until I killed it. :psyduck:

I've seen that happen at res points a few times. Something must go buggy with the AI in some circumstances.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Transmetropolitan posted:

To whoever told me that I should upgrade the frame shift device ASAP: THANK YOU.

I can go from 5 or 6 systems to DOZENS now. It is loving ridiculous. I may actually earn some money doing courier work, or whatever.

BTW, missions suck balls and you can earn initial money much faster by keeping your eye on the navigation tab and going for wreckages/weak signal sources.

The best thing about FSD upgrades is that your powerplant is basically not effected, since you have to stow hardpoints anyway to activate it. Regardless of ship power needs you should always have the biggest FSD you can afford.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Atmospheric landings is probably the #1 thing I'm excited for. I wish it were coming this season, but they probably would've announced it if so.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Plek posted:

Well gently caress me. It didn't register in my head that it would let me pick the SRV since I only saw the one displayed. I thought that would pick between different types of vehicles.

Some sort of colonization/outpost building would be pretty welcome, honestly. With as many planets exist you'd think they could let players set up their own settlements without having to worry about finding space.

Something like mining outposts would even make sense and provide a logical route to making the mechanic profitable. Buy some ships and outfit them to protect the settlement, but you have to manually go there with a hauler to get your materials, then go back and sell them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kuvo posted:

lol at that atmosphere being 70% iron

See, that's the type of planet I want to land on. gently caress cities and alien life, I want to see some molten iron rain.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
With that much pressure would water be ice at that temperature? I don't have a chart for that end of those two scales.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Just got back from an exploration run. Went about 6k ly out from Sol, took about 10 hours to get out (scanning all metallic/water/EL planets) and ~4 to get back (scanning all EL and Water, and undiscovered metallic planets that were in the terraformable range.) Some SRV fuckery was involved each way as well.

Metal-rich planets don't seem to be as rare as I've heard people say. I've heard that they're about as rare as Earthlikes, but I found a bunch of metal-rich and only about 5 Earthlikes on the whole journey. I landed on two and they seem to have higher grade metals to mine than the other metallic planets.

I did find one undiscovered Earthlike, and it was only about 1000 ly from the bubble. It was 1200 ls from the parent star and someone had already scanned everything in the system within 1000 ls, so I guess they didn't have the good scanner. Good times for me.

Made about 9m credits on the trip and went from ~30% Pathfinder to 0% Ranger (I think, I moved up one rank and I think the new one is ranger.) Exploration income isn't quite where I'd like it to be, but it wasn't bad money at least. Took forever to sell all that data though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dongattack posted:

Is Cobra a good ship for shooting things? I don't do combat at all really in Elite, but i'm looking at a "mostly harmless" 700k credits mission for killing 25 ships or something somewhere and i could use those credits.

Yes, but you'll have more fun in a Viper. At least I did. The cobra is a great jack of all trades ship while the Viper is a fighter, and you can feel the difference when you fly them.

The viper is also cheaper but if you already have the Cobra I guess that isn't a big advantage. Also 25 ships will take a while to kill.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dongattack posted:

Lasers on shield and cannons on hull i'm guessing?

Yes, although you should have the power to keep the lasers going against the hull as well.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Depending on what your mission was, your best bet is probably to go to a Nav Beacon. There you can wait for targets you can take on and you'll usually have help from NPCs for taking down wanted people. The site you went to might have been an ambush with two really decked out ships.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you're new to combat don't take a mission where you have to kill authorities, especially 25 of them. Take pirate killing missions or just go to Nav Beacons (if you're brand new to it) or RES (once you get your legs under you) and collect bounties.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

RVProfootballer posted:

Hmm, now to weigh whether to avoid playing tonight in hopes of getting it or just accept that a 140k ship isn't worth that much in the long run. I just upgraded the first time to an Eagle and immediately hit two 50k wanted targets at a nav beacon, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

Though that does bring up a question: I think I may have gotten lucky to get the last shot on both of those targets, with the system security helping too. Do you not get the bounty amount unless you get the last shot?

You don't need the last shot and you don't share the bounty with the other people; everyone shooting the target gets the full bounty amount. You have to stick around until they die though, so no plinking an Anaconda and running away.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

IAmTheRad posted:

The only time you don't get the full bounty is if you're in a wing with someone else. It is split among everyone who hits the target.

Also, if you go into a conflict zone, it's a bit iffy there. They have slightly different rules I believe.

I've flown around in CZs and nothing I've seen made me think the bounty was split. They are lower though.

That sucks about wings. I guess I should say I've never bounty hunted with another actual player, so maybe you do split it with other actual players but not NPCs?

Edit: Yeah, don't trade until you have a Cobra, and don't do multipart missions at all until they are fixed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hellburger99 posted:

Hey, what's with this wedding barge thing? I'm in the Yakabugai sector for what it's worth.

Flavor. They don't do anything as far as I've ever been able to find.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I swear every single O and B class star within a 5k LY radius of sol has already been discovered :ohdear:

Pretty much, but once you get like 12k ly out there are a ton of undiscovered ones. Especially if you stay away from popular nebulae. 15k out you'll be surprised when you find a discovered one.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The good thing about bounty hunting is that you always have the option to not engage. In a normal RES with an Eagle and see an Anaconda? Just leave it alone and as long as nothing is in your hold they'll leave you alone. The only way you can really get into trouble is by shooting at wings without checking to make sure you can take the entire wing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I like the Cobra, but either way ditch the hull reenforcement and put in another fuel tank. And if you're not planning on a long run ditch the AMU and add more fuel. And if it were me I would ditch the class 4 shield, put a fuel tank in that slot, and put on a class 3 shield. I would also ditch all weapons for better jump range if you plan on staying outside the bubble for a bit.

For the two builds you posted, the Cobra will be quite a bit better if only for the fuel scoop.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DreadLlama posted:

So is there just absolutely nothing that shoots at you outside the bubble?

There's a one in a million chance you run in to another player that decides to shoot you, but your odds of running out of fuel are a lot larger than your odds of actually finding that person. If you play in solo then there is nothing.

Eventually there might be aliens but you'll hear all about it way before you see any.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Libluini posted:

Since people steadfastly refuse to send me money for a second monitor, I too am still part of the one-monitor-brigade

I also buy my monitors as exhibits: Good as new, but cheaper because people put their dirty hands on it or something.

I not only have a two monitor set up, I have a stick computer hooked up to the second one with its own mouse and keyboard so that I can read forums/etc while doing stuff on my main PC.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mike the TV posted:

I tried out a Robigo run and kept getting interdicted the same instant I would drop into the new system. Almost ever jump. I guess I can try again. :smith:

If you do the submit then jump you'll keep getting interdicted. If you 'win' the interdiction they seem to leave you alone after for the most part.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
People have tried, and if you just let it sit until you supercruise to another system you'll be 0 ly away from it but still won't see the star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

CountingWizard posted:

This is pretty funny, yet not at all unexpected.

Yeah, it's a little odd to be the first to find a planet and find shipwrecks on it.

Although I guess they didn't live to turn in the exploration data...

• Locked thread