Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DarthBlingBling posted:

The game is a work in progress.

The truth, right here. Basically, when looking at the game on Steam and wondering if you should make the purchase, pretend you can see this:

Except, when you purchase the early access version of the game that is out now (if you purchase the version you can play right now, that is), you won't automatically be given access to the full game that was advertised in the kickstarter with planetary landings and flying through the clouds of gas giants and such, when it releases. They'll charge you a full-game price again for that.

All that said, I've put hours upon hours into it, but that's mostly exploring the galaxy and playing pretend space-photographer, and had a pretty good time.

lol, efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't regret purchasing it at all even though I'm awful and am stuck at around 700k credits so I can't actually get out of my Viper

No neither do I but I might if I purchased it again is all I'm saying, especially at full price. I'll probably either wait for a sale, or No Man's Sky might turn out to be really good, or make a drunken impulse-buy and convince myself I don't regret it the next day.

probably the latter

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dusty Lens posted:

Would I regret it if I doubled down on my regret purchase by picking up a T16000?

I haven't played ED for a long while but I recall trying to fly with a mouse as a terrible experience, one that I hope will be alleviated with a joystick.

Something I haven't owned since I played Privateer 2 probably.

I got a thrustmaster for around £30-40 along with the game and I factor that into it when I say I don't regret making the purchase, so take that for what it's worth. Then again there are people that have enjoyed the game just as much without one, so if you're not one of those then maybe you just don't enjoy the game and purchasing a flightstick won't change that? Only you can answer that I guess.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

There seems to be a surge of "shoot things in space" games that might be coming out one day, but I don't think they have as much "other" poo poo like trading.

heh, "one day" being the operative term there.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I'm super critical of this game, but this isn't fair. Planetary landings were announced as a paid expansion feature right from the beginning, along with some other random ideas like capital ship control and stuff. They've done a good enough job of checking all the feature boxes, it's just fleshing those features out and making them, uh, fun that's actually been a problem.

I stand corrected. I seem to have a vague memory of a very early video of Braben talking about procedural generation and flying through some gas giant clouds and must have mistakenly grouped that together with planetary landings in my head as something that would be included with the full-price game once released. I don't usually follow kickstarters and early access things too closely so I wasn't aware that it was planned for a paid expansion from day one, but that's what was said the whole time then it's my fault for not knowing.

I still think it kind of sucks that, and please correct me if I have this wrong, if I had waited to get the game I could've paid once for all of it, Horizons included, rather than having to pay about the same as I paid for the base game to upgrade to horizons. Does this mean it will be more worth my while waiting until the third expansion comes out and making one payment for both?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I'm not objecting to the concept of paying for the expansion in and of itself, it just doesn't sit right that it's the same as a full-price game whether I own the base game or not. It may not be entirely rational, I admit that, but it feels like I'm being asked to pay for the same content twice, especially when I could be a newcomer and be paying the same amount as I am for the expansion alone and getting all of it anyway. It's like, I dunno, a weird inverted version of an opportunity cost or something? Also the comparison to when other games release GOTY versions doesn't really fit because in those cases you can usually just buy whatever bits of DLC you might have missed for a fraction of the price of the full game, or in some cases upgrade to the GOTY version for a smaller price if you already own the game. Unless it's a Witcher game :v: Then you just get it.

At the end of the day if I don't judge it to be worth it, I can always just hope it comes down in price at some point in the future and be happy in the meantime I got my moneys worth from the base game. Either way there's much more wringing of hands to be done so I'd better knuckle down.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Holy crap guys my phone screen has a vertical groove now, Jesus.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Last night I finally got home from my jaunt to the Great Annihilator and back. I picked Arcturus because big loving star and flew to one of the stations there. After requesting to dock and very very carefully going through the letterbox I realised I have literally forgotten how to actually dock. How do I landing gear again?!? It's been months!

So after a frantic 5-minute scramble, with one eye on the screen to make sure nothing bad was happening, I dug out my Crab reference sheet I'd printed out ages ago to remind myself what the landing gear command was because I did NOT want to mess up and lose everything. Time was ticking and I was sitting there like an idiot looking at my landing pad. Ok, so that's the command for landing gear- WHY AM I BOOSTING OHGOD THIS IS ALL WRONG!

I bounced off the floor and careened into the back wall. Thank gently caress my shields were at 4 pips and full because that took out 2/3rds of them. I decided to leave the station before more bad things happened only to find flight assist was off. Somehow, all my controls had been altered in some masterfully timed error and none of the buttons did what they were supposed to. Among other outrages, Shift-1 was boost and landing gear was flight assist now apparently... I managed to get back out, get away from the station and save-quit.

After checking my control file was all there and re-booting the game it all worked as it should again, and I managed to dock and sell my data for approx 100 million. No game has ever, ever provoked such a visceral response of pure adrenaline-fuelled terror than that moment.

And then it occurred to me. If it nearly happened to me, chances are it has happened to someone else at some point, somewhere out there. If you are that person, please accept my deepest, most sincere condolences and sympathies. No-one deserves that. No-one.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why didn't you just check the in-game keybind menu?

I did after I got out the station. It was all as it should be, but the buttons on the hotas were not doing what they were supposed to, and I couldn't see a keybind for landing gear despite scrolling through the controls a couple of times. It corrected itself after exiting and re-entering the game. It's the only time anything like that has ever happened and I have no idea why. The game had been running for hours though as I made the last stretch of the journey from about the Eagle nebula to home in one go, something just hosed up I guess.

e:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Well this dude got griefed by his own squadmate after a 3 month exploration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

hahaha "ow no, ow no, you didn't just do that"

Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 18, 2015

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I have 2 360 pads but they were never switched on at any point. I had alt-tabbed a lot to put on various podcasts during the very long session. I'll never know.

Anyway next I'm going to start the Empire/Fed rank grind. At least I have the money to kit out a decent vulture or whatever for that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh well, based on some of the verdicts I've read I'm a little disappointed but it was not unexpected; deleted local content. Unplugged the HOTAS and will find somewhere out of the way to put it for the time being.

I'll check in again in a few months or next "season". Assuming they keep to the same pricing structure it's probably better to wait till a few expansions are out before buying the same game again anyway.

• Locked thread