Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

(this OP is a work in progress)

What’s Gigantic?

Gigantic is an upcoming free-to-play shooter MOBA for Windows 10 and Xbox One, developed by Motiga.

OH MY GOD NOT ANOTHER F2P MOBA

Yes!
Gigantic is different from LoL, Dota and other Mobas. Its gameplay is akin to a third person shooter, and there are no minions (mostly) or defined lanes in the arena. The map is also a bit more dynamic than regular Dota-likes.

How can I play it?
Gigantic is currently on closed beta, but the developer insist on a holiday release. You can sign up for the beta, or beg for a key to any other tester. Currently the test server is open only the weekends.

What’s this about Xbone and PC? Can I play on both?
Yes! The account is valid for both versions of the game, so unlocks and whatnot should be shared between platforms. You can also play the PC version with an Xbox controller, and play cross-platform with your friends and foes.

I don’t want to play with console plebeians/PC master race assholes!
Lucky for you, cross platform games are entirely optional.

Why should I play this instead of <Game> ?
Gigantic is different enough to warrant a try before discarding it. The gameplay has little to do with regular dota-like MOBAS, and it’s easy enough to get into at first.

How it plays

This is a third person shooter/action kind of game and it plays like one. Left mouse and right mouse are used for the regular and special attacks. Q and E are skills that change from hero to hero, and F is the “ultimate” skill (called Focus) that once again changes according to your Hero. As any modern action game, you can dodge and jump as well, and mobility is a big part of combat.

The objective of the game is to defeat your opposing team’s Guardian (the giant monsters on each side of the map) before they destroy yours. In order to do this you must first weaken them before your own Guardian swoops (or slithers) in and takes a bite out of the enemy. Do this three times and you’ve won!
There are plenty of other factors in a match:

Leveling up
As the match goes on you will earn XP and level up, up to level 10. Each level you gain means you can improve one of your abilities. Each ability, except your Focus, has a two tier upgrade tree. You might only chose one upgrade per tier, and you can’t replace it!

Besides skill upgrades, at every odd level you gain a Talent. Talents are passive benefits that improve your character. Just like Upgrades, you may only choose one of the two options at each level.

Upgrade example:

Gathering power
In order to power your Guardian so that it goes bites theirs, you need to power it. There are three ways of powering your Guardian:
- taking control of summoning circles
- killing your foes
- attacking the enemy Guardian.

When your Guardian has enough power, it will attack!

When a guardian attacks, any summoning circle and kill the defenders achieve will grant their Guardian a shield. Once the attacking Guardian hits the enemy, the attacking team must rush in and hit its weak spot in order to inflict a Wound.

After a Guardian gets two wounds, the game changes and both Guardians rush to the middle of the map to Clash!

Clash:
Once the Guardians clash, the teams must kill each other again to power their attacks. Every attack leaves the Guardian vulnerable to a wound, and three wounds will kill a Guardian. This means that the team that gets to two Wounds first will trigger a Clash with an advantage!

Summoning Circles
Summoning circles do more than just power your Guardian. Each circle allows a player to summon a creature that will help you fight your enemies.

These creatures can do several things. Some of them work as towers, attacking the enemies in range. Others give your team vision of the near zone, while others heal your characters.

Creatures can be upgraded as well, and Adult creatures will give more power to your Guardian.

Here's some gameplay from PAX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl1nXXA26uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8MkdpTvTcQ

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The characters

Aisling: stalked by a ghost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHyUWFCstus
Aisling is a melee assassin that counts with the help of a ghost. She can send the ghost to their enemies, or recall him to buff her attacks. His ability to build clay pots is untested.

Charnok: horny dragonkin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoAM63yTa98
Mid-Range pyromancer that burns enemies and explodes up like a scaly rocket.

Griselma: granny summoner
Close Ranged, summons monstrous turrets, can become invulnerable for a little bit, bakes great cookies and gives you 2$ every christmas.

Hk-206: token robot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJ_efQM5NU
Hk is a long ranged assassin that can become a turret, launch missiles, and runs on Python.

Imani: sniper with an eyepatch.
A very long rage assassin that can aim for extra damage, throw a smoke bomb, aim for extra damage, and do some extra damage when aiming. Also she’s got an eyepatch.

Lord Knossoss: total bully https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLATdjMJPBM
Tanky melee combatant that can rush enemies (obviously) and hit them with his spear, horns, hooves and sometimes udders if they ask for it.

Mozu: prehensile tail for the ladies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVdUW9ZibjE
Offensive Support mage that slows targets, deflects projectiles and teleports around.

The margrave: fisting for justice
Full melee bruiser that can charge enemies, leap to them, and slap them until they die or slow you and move away at walking speed.

Tripp: Assassin, rogue, waifu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4TaN_N3DyQ
Tripp is a standard stealth assassin that moves quick, dies quick, and carries way more daggers than what’s considered safe.

Tyto: pronounced Tito, probably. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMqV1z3CglE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2ZCq0Zdxg
Tito is a melee assassin bird that has a relationship with his pet mouse. The mouse can attack enemies, and Tito can swoop in and slash them do death.

Uncle Sven: the kind that ruins thanksgivings
Support mage that lobs potions to enemies and allies. Can heal, burn, poison and create a trampoline, which is why we still invite him for family diners.

Vadasi: four hands and not a single weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oes_8pRg9Q
Full support mage that heals allies with a beam and empowers her skills with her own HP. Less waifu potential than Tripp due to extra appendages, and I might not be talking about the arms.

Voden: totally not just a fox with horns and a bow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nP3lF1Lts
Tricky Ranged fighter that can create a decoy, shoot arrows and regen health. He can also poison foes, which might mean he’s part skunk too.

Wu: who? Wu. Wu who? yes.
Kung Fu Frog that can pull enemies with his tongue and beat them down. What you’d expect from a Kung Fu Frog.

Xenobia: she might hate foreigners https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDyReFyecr0
Offensive support that drains enemies, slows them and weakens them. Will probably vote for Trump.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 16, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And to get started, for anyone interested here's a beta key!

SMLTDHG-2OVBBV-AWKZUPS-GWLVRU

I'll work on the OP and character descriptions next test weekend. Anyone else playing this? what are your impressions so far?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have played this game and I just run around attacking things not knowing why my giant snake is getting killed or doing the killing. Eventually it says I win or lose and I just kind of shrug and move on. I logged in yesterday and it forced me to play the tutorial which explained it but I'm still not sure I know what's going on. In particular I have no idea what the deal with the clash is because it only seems to even happen in about 25% of games.

It's pretty fun to run around killing guys though. In the alpha there was no party system, have they added that yet?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not an expert of anything since I only played a few games, but I had enough fun to muster some effort to get a thread going.

The Guardian attacks when you fill the Team Power bar. You can fill it by either summoning creatures which will tick for some power, killing enemies, and attacking their guardian (risky). Once you get enough power your Guardian attacks theirs and leaves it vulnerable.

I've had Clashes on every game I've played, but I played at most 6 games so that's not an assurance. As for party, no such thing yet but this week I got beta invites to share with friends so I'd hope it's near.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Even in the tutorial it was like "oh man time for the clash! Here comes the clash the monsters are gonna fight in the middle of the map woo boy here we go" and nothing happened. I just kept hitting the big snake and he eventually got attacked by my bird thing and I killed him. He never moved.

Get rid of the clash, add lanes of robots that fight each other and replace the big monsters with money balls. Try to make SMNC but not screw it up this time thanks.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:siren: Beta servers are up, right now! :siren:

Looks like Motiga usually opens them way ahead the time given in their emails.

Did anyone grab my key? I'm looking forward to play this all weekend and I'd love if more goons would join and share opinions.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What's the NDA like on this right now? I wasn't sure if people who are in the beta could actually talk about it yet.

Are people able to stream it?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The DNA was tuned down a bit ago. If you're in beta you can talk about it at will, but screens, videos and streams are still under DNA.

MO_Thor, who's the dude doing the Motiga streams and community manager provided an email for people to reach him if they want to stream, so I'm guessing that DNA will be partially lifted soon as well. The Email is giganticstreamerlove@motiga.com in case you want to try streaming as well. I think they haven't replied much yet, but who knows!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I an going to play this tonight but as far as I know there is still no party system. I think I'm going to email them about streaming too just to see what they say to a guy who had not put any effort or planning into his proposal to be an "approved" streaming person.

Edit: I have already lost interest in asking to be an approved streamer before I went to type the email sorry everyone I know you were all super excited about this.

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 18, 2015

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So... Is there a release date for this yet?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So... Is there a release date for this yet?

Sadly, no.

The game is not bad. I honestly think they could carve a niche in online gaming since it's unique enough for it, but....

They are digging themselves a gigantic grave by handling their PR so badly. The Beta runs only weekends still, updates are slow and it's not odd for a weekend test to be the exact same client as last week's. Their testers are still under NDA and if you want to stream you have to be handpicked by them.

No news about release, pricing, upcoming features. They interact with their followers only ocasionally on Reddit and not much else and even their videos are few and far between.

Added to all of that is the fact that the game only runs on Windows 10.

Many followers are fearing that this game will be dead before arrival, and I'm one of them. I'd love to see it released and would definetly play it, but it might never happen.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm excited for this game as well. I remember reading a rumor, I don't remember were, that people were able to run it on previous windows like 8 and 7. And yes, I feel that the NDA is ridiculous too. Though I feel it may have something to do with Microsoft more than motiga. I will definitely be playing this when it releases. It's free to play so why not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The last console generation, in relative time terms, was rife with stories of Microsoft buying Windows 8 exclusivity for some small companies cool game and treating them like dirt and forcing them to scrabble their way back to solvency, much less relevancy. Add to that that Gigantic is remarkably unfriendly to solo queuing and the Windows 10 requirement and this thing is basically dead in the womb.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah that's my fear too. Competitive Arena f2p Games is already a crowded market in which newcomers struggle to secure a spot. If said newcomer is already discriminating based on OS and refuses to build real hype for the game, well...

I still think Gigantic is really fun. If they somehow make it and release it to public acceptance, I can see the game being great once it gets some time to mature.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They just dumped 16 people, including their CM, out of a studio that wasn't huge to begin with, and delayed the launch to an unspecific "2016 launch window."

RIP.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Maybe someone high up found out they didn't even have a party system in their team game so he cleaned house.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Just read a few articles about the layoffs. Seems pretty standard of a decision to me. There running out of money and rather than speed up development they decided to cut some staff. The game is going to take longer to make now but from what I understand most, if not all, of the core game is already there so if I was to guess I would probably say late first Quarter or early second quarter. I'm still looking forward to this. I'm just going to need to be patient.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Game is being regularly streamed on twitch now. It's pretty fun to watch and looks really fun to play. Can't wait to be able to play it.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
I really wanted to try this game, but it crashed on launch when I first tried it, then it was Windows 10 only not 2 weeks later. Sorry guys, I'm not giving up Windows 7 to play this game even if it's loving awesome.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BlueKingBar posted:

I really wanted to try this game, but it crashed on launch when I first tried it, then it was Windows 10 only not 2 weeks later. Sorry guys, I'm not giving up Windows 7 to play this game even if it's loving awesome.

Yeah this partnership with Microsoft and having it only accessible for win10 users, plus forcing you to install it trough the loving Windows store is atrocious and probably killed any chance this game had.

Shame!

But seriously, Windows store. What the gently caress is the point of that?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This game is streaming again all this weekend. You know what? I think that the fact that this game is on Xbox one might just be enough to give this game an okay following. I'm starting to see this less and less like a PC game and more like an Xbox one exclusive that you can play on the computer.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I got a key this Sunday and got to play two games with one of the Devs. Game is fun. It's not overly simple but it's not overly complicated to play either which is a good thing. Like I said before, I think that the Xbox one community is going to be enough to give this game a shot. I like what they did with achievments, you get to draw a free card a day and you can use the currency you earn in games to buy more cards that have tasks like get X kills, preform X task ect. Which give you more currency for completing them. They went with a weekly rotation for the heroes like lol but u can buy them (in the beta at least) for not too much in game work. The cards really help speed it up too. All in all I don't think the windows 10 exclusive and not being on steam things are going to kill the game but I do think it's going to hurt it. I'm looking forward to providing some feedback for them, also the NDA is gone now so it can be streamed regularly, and I'm looking forward to seeing were it all ends up.

In summation I like the game.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

ScorpioMajesty posted:

They went with a weekly rotation for the heroes like lol

Well I'm done

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/gigantic-game-developer-motiga-lays-off-significant-percentage-studio/

OK OK OK...

I can't deny it any more...

When the corpse starts to smell you put it in the ground...

Farewell and Adu to this fair MOBA gamey.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I actually upgraded to W10 unrelated to Gigantic and ended up installing it, why not, it was enjoyable enough when I played it. Then I didn't play it, as it has sat on my harddrive for a solid two months. It's weird, I wouldn't mind a more PvP driven MOBA alternative, but the fact that they're refusing to take money for the game is going to sink them dead, and the deal with the devil is just going to accelerate that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd really hoped that this game would be successful but the windows 10 requirement is basically shooting themselves in the foot and the shitcanning of most of the studio is as much of a deathknell as i've ever seen.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's a shame because the game could've been really good, but we'll never see it reach its potential.

I saw some of the dev streams and they looked like good people, excited about their project. Hope they can find other games to work on that are not a trainwreck.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
:siren: Wowi Zowi! :siren:

Gigantic is in open beta for everyone who wants to try it! IT'S FREE! (relatively)

You can download it off the Microsoft app store or the "cough" perfect world "cough" arc "cough" client.... Excuse me

It's a third person action, moba! (kinda)

Play it with people! Or don't! I don't care!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also I'm insane and still here!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also still only for windows 10 from what i can see

so, lmao

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Nope!

If you get it off the arc client you can play on any OS.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they should probably make that more obvious

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
:shrug:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also if you download this off the arc client you are completely seperated from the people on the Microsoft app store.

But people on the app store can still play with Xbox people so that's still cool I guess.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Also if you download this off the arc client you are completely seperated from the people on the Microsoft app store.
gently caress dude

just leave it in the coffin, you're not gonna bring this game to life

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I enjoy this game a whole lot and I'd probably buy the founders pack if the game wasn't pretty much guaranteed to be dead/shuttered within ~3 months.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Phoix posted:

I enjoy this game a whole lot and I'd probably buy the founders pack if the game wasn't pretty much guaranteed to be dead/shuttered within ~3 months.

Same

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

IronicDongz posted:

gently caress dude

just leave it in the coffin, you're not gonna bring this game to life

Im having fun with an OK game I was hoping was going to be successful so I thought that I would let people know that they too can have fun for free while this game still has a semblance of a community.

If you don't want to play that's your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I'm 'TastyShrimp 0' if anyone feels like partying up.

• Locked thread