Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Because sometimes you wanna watch something, but you're not sure what.

Welcome to the third iteration of this, the anime recommendations thread. Post here to be told what to watch, or to tell others.

A couple general tips and guidelines:
  • When seeking recommendations, try to be specific. Don't just ask us for "Something good," give us something to go on. What are you into, what do you want to try? If nothing else, at least narrow it down to a particular genre.
  • Similarly, it can be useful to provide a list of shows you've already seen and liked (or disliked). That way you can say "More of the same," "More by this director," "Here's my comfort zone; help me break out of it."
  • When responding to someone's request, tailor your suggestions accordingly. Don't just recommend your favorite show because it's your favorite show, golly gee, everyone should try it. Consider first whether it matches their criteria, and feel free to mention if it's something of a stretch.
  • Don't just list a bunch of shows in response, sell people on them. A few sentences should do. This last one's a little lax since there's really nothing wrong with just saying "Watch Cowboy Bebop," but if you're so inclined I'd prefer a little blurb.
Finally, if you're feeling uncertain or antisocial or just don't want the cool kids in other forums to see you posting here, consider checking out the ADTRWiki, an entire website dedicated to cataloging anime and relevant goon opinions.

Baal Edit: The wiki is dead, here is a read only mirror if you wish to read it but keep it in mind that the wiki is a bit out of date.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
You should try Legend of the Galactic Heroes, OP.

I'm in the middle of Rose of Versailles right now but I'm gonna be totally out of shows when I'm done. I'm looking to brush up on my 70s/80s anime, and the only things I can recall that I've seen are this, LoGH and Gunbuster. What other classics am I missing?

pray for my aunt fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 14, 2015

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Depends on what you're looking for. In the 70s for scifi there's Space Battleship Yamato and Captain Harlock, for mecha Zambot 3 and Tekkaman, for adventure Future Boy Conan and Lupin III. Everyone should really watch Future Boy Conan, it's Miyazaki's only TV show. It's about a boy's adventure to save his friend from a technocratic despot in a post apocalypse water world. It's kind of like a prototype Laputa. The 70's is kind of easier to make suggestions for because there's not a ton of shows with subs but 80's shows have had a lot of love from subbers and licensers.
If I had to pick two 80's classics it'd be VOTOMS and Maison Ikkoku. Votoms is about a soldier named Chirico who is used as a fall man for an illegal mission and has to go on the run. Lots of robots, action and explosions. It's probably Ryosuke Takahashi best show. Maison Ikkoku on the other hand is a romantic comedy based on a manga from Rumiko Takahashi that she wrote at the same time as Urusei Yatsura. A little less wacky and probably started a lot of the miscommunication and misconception humor in romance anime and manga. It's basically about a young college student that falls for his recently widowed apartment building manager.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space Adventure Cobra is cool and also trippy as gently caress

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
If we're talking 70's/80's mecha anime, Gundam 0079 and Macross are kind of obvious, and both hold up pretty well - Gundam does show its age a bit more, which is why most people recommend the compilation movies instead.

And while I second the recommendation for Maison Ikkoku, I'd also like to recommend Touch for a great combination of romantic comedy and sports.

Edit: Also, Fist of the North Star is totally awesome and about as 80's as you can get.

fezball fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 14, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're interested in changing the new to anime list on the ADTRWiki, I made a post about changing that over in the wiki thread.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Antlions posted:

I'm in the middle of Rose of Versailles right now but I'm gonna be totally out of shows when I'm done. I'm looking to brush up on my 70s/80s anime, and the only things I can recall that I've seen are this, LoGH and Gunbuster. What other classics am I missing?

I think you should watch Patlabor. It's a mecha comedy cop show with a cast of fun and lovable characters.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Antlions posted:

galaxy express 999 and urusei yatsura.

for things that aren't 1000 episodes long check out:

angels egg (a true work of real art by the master himself mamoru oshii)
urusei yatsura 2: beautiful dreamer (another movie by oshii, so good that people sent him death threats in the mail)
royal space force: the wings of honneamise (hiroyuki yamaga was only 24 when he wrote and directed this!! wow!!)
aim for the ace (teh movie (gunbuster cribs its general plot outline and name from this))
megazone 23 (parts 1&2 only!!! part 3 sucks rear end)
bubblegum crisis (its unfinished but it kicks some major 80s rear end)
goku midnight eye (the most easily recommendable of kawajiris 80s cyberpunk stuff)
riding bean (anime fast and the furious set in chicago for some reason??? whatever it owns)
project a-ko (ridiculous 80s parody anime)

theres a lot more though

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Thanks, I'll be sure to check them all out. Pre-90's is kind of just a big hole in my viewing experience, so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dirty Pair is a cool 80s series and you can just watch Project Eden to see if you'd be interested in it since it's a cool intro to the series

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Antlions posted:

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them all out. Pre-90's is kind of just a big hole in my viewing experience, so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

it is for a lot of people!! dont sweat it though a lot of stuff is really good and a lot of stuff is bad but holds sentimental value for people. the 80s were a fascinating time because the bubble economy at the time allowed for studios to be incredibly prolific, ambitious, and experimental without really having to worry about returns and profit percentages

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm only going to recommend k-on

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Antlions posted:

Middle can mean a lot of parts of RoV but if you end up enjoying episodes 19-39 just check out more shows Osamu Dezaki directed.

Ashita no Joe and Ashita no Joe 2
Aim for the Ace
Nobody's Boy Remi
Takarajima (Treasure Island)
Space Adventure Cobra

And if you want movies there is Golgo 13: The Professional and a Space Adventure Cobra Movie.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

I'm only going to recommend k-on

Same but The Tatami Galaxy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

littleorv posted:

Same but The Tatami Galaxy.

Pretentious!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm looking for something like Nichijou or Panty & Stocking. Stupid, maybe a silly kind of grossness once in a while, episodic and I don't need to worry about story or whatever. Weirdly enough, I didn't care too much for Space Dandy because it was a little too Twilight Zone.

I also wouldn't mind something more cerebral, I dug Steins;Gate and my friend recommended to me this other series about like a society that placed its citizens in work roles based on a predictive aptitude model or something? His description made me think of Minority Report, but I can't remember the title.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you don't mind really gross at times, Detroit Metal City.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The other show with Nichijou in its (jp) name: Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a kitten posted:

The other show with Nichijou in its (jp) name: Daily Lives of High School Boys.

I had to Wikipedia it real quick because the title sounded like you were trying to get me on an FBI watchlist :v:

It looks cool though, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like to be recommended a Horror or Horror esque anime, preferably with an English Dub, with a lot of graphic violence please.

Seen that I liked: Another, Highschool of the Dead, Mirai Nikki, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Gantz, Hellsing, Btooom.

Didn't like much of : Deadman Wonderland.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 14, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm looking for something like Nichijou or Panty & Stocking. Stupid, maybe a silly kind of grossness once in a while, episodic and I don't need to worry about story or whatever. Weirdly enough, I didn't care too much for Space Dandy because it was a little too Twilight Zone.

I also wouldn't mind something more cerebral, I dug Steins;Gate and my friend recommended to me this other series about like a society that placed its citizens in work roles based on a predictive aptitude model or something? His description made me think of Minority Report, but I can't remember the title.
If you're up for something cerebral and a little unorthodox, Angel's Egg is a pretty good film. It's a slower, quieter experience that mostly communicates through its visuals, leaving a lot open to interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6AlZ_mkkw

It's a nice watch if you're open to mulling something over to decide what it means to you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KildarX posted:

I'd like to be recommended a Horror or Horror esque anime, preferably with an English Dub, with a lot of graphic violence please.

Seen that I liked: Another, Highschool of the Dead, Mirai Nikki, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Gantz, Hellsing, Btooom.

Didn't like much of : Deadman Wonderland.
Shiki has an English dub, although I've never heard it so can't vouch for the voice quality. It gets rather gory, although I forget how much is directly shown rather than implied or being just offscreen. People do get vivisected and repeatedly run over by tractors by an angry mob if that's your cup of tea.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm having trouble thinking of recommendations for Shirobako for the wiki. I'm just really drawing a blank, and want some help.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

"Watch it, it's really good :D"

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

oh like other shows? working!! probably

if you want something that goes along with shirobako's themes, maybe space brothers?

can't really think of anything that fits shirobako completely :D

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 14, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

oh like other shows? working!! probably

if you want something that goes along with shirobako's themes, maybe space brothers?

can't really think of anything that fits shirobako completely :D

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The Devil is a Part-Timer is another comedy that doesn't rely heavily on high school tropes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Droyer posted:

Paranoia Agent, though only for one episode.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Droyer posted:

I know there is one about making manga (denki-gai) but shirobako is just so much better than it that I hesitate to recommend it...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Animation Runner Kuromi is also about making anime, though it's almost entirely driven by gags so it's not quite the same as Shirobako.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's also Bakuman which I guess is about manga. Not quite the same thing, but there you go.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of recommendations for Shirobako for the wiki. I'm just really drawing a blank, and want some help.

otaku no video and genshiken are similar enough i'd say

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Maybe Sore ga Seiyu? It hasn't finished yet so I don't have a full opinion on it yet, but it's a decent enough perspective into the voice-acting side of the industry.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

You're probably thinking of Psycho Pass. In addition to people's careers being determined by their aptitudes, the whole nation is also under surveillance by an omnipresent A.I. system that can measure one's potential to commit crime. The protagonists are a team of enforcement agents who hunt down these "latent criminals".

It's mostly a procedural cop show with the setting as given. Production quality was high, and the characters were well written. The first season was well received, but the second season's new story arc fell flat for a lot of people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

You're probably thinking of Seiyu's Life, the currently-airing/simulcasting show about voice actors.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

unpronounceable posted:

Maybe Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun? It's mostly just a good comedy, but a lot of that is based on one of the main characters being a shoujo manga artist and having his friends help him with it, both directly and also by using their daily lives and interactions as a reference.

It provides a lot of insight into what all goes into making a manga, like Shirobako does with anime. Nozaki isn't quite as focused on the concept but it's still very educational in between being hilarious.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 15, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im gonna say aoi hono/blue blazes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nipponophile posted:

You're probably thinking of Psycho Pass.

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks, brah!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm looking for real spooky anime, guys

I finished Higurashi, and it was pretty good. Looked like garbage, but I was genuinely interested in the story, and I loved all those scenes where everyone is loving crazy and everything goes wrong in the worst way possible. Also - I'm not even sure if this needs to be spoilered, but oh well - I'm a total sucker for time loops. I actually started cheering when they started remembering earlier loops towards the end of the first season, and they just kept topping that in the second. I'm really glad this show wasn't afraid of throwing completely bewildering poo poo at you all the time, only to go back and explain every little thing. Felt very... tidy, almost. This show had that satisfying feeling of completing a puzzle, piece by piece. (It was a loving marker, not a syringe :stare: ) I'm a little disappointed it wasn't as amazingly vile in the end as it was for most of the story - but I guess it's more upbeat after all.

Also watched some of Shiki, and by gawd, do these people have ridiculous anime hair. Feels very much in the same vein as Higurashi, though, and I'm strangely enjoying having dozens of characters introduced at once, only to desperately try to keep track of them while they bounce off of each other and poo poo goes wrong in the worst way possible very fast.

So now I need more horror anime. Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions. Big fan of mystery / puzzle plots, too. The shorter, the better! I'd like to think I'm desensitised towards bad animation, now that I've gone successfully through two seasons of Higurashi and most of Shiki, but, uuuuuuh... not too low-budget would be nice, too.

Spooky animes, please :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I'm looking for real spooky anime, guys

I finished Higurashi, and it was pretty good. Looked like garbage, but I was genuinely interested in the story, and I loved all those scenes where everyone is loving crazy and everything goes wrong in the worst way possible. Also - I'm not even sure if this needs to be spoilered, but oh well - I'm a total sucker for time loops. I actually started cheering when they started remembering earlier loops towards the end of the first season, and they just kept topping that in the second. I'm really glad this show wasn't afraid of throwing completely bewildering poo poo at you all the time, only to go back and explain every little thing. Felt very... tidy, almost. This show had that satisfying feeling of completing a puzzle, piece by piece. (It was a loving marker, not a syringe :stare: ) I'm a little disappointed it wasn't as amazingly vile in the end as it was for most of the story - but I guess it's more upbeat after all.

Also watched some of Shiki, and by gawd, do these people have ridiculous anime hair. Feels very much in the same vein as Higurashi, though, and I'm strangely enjoying having dozens of characters introduced at once, only to desperately try to keep track of them while they bounce off of each other and poo poo goes wrong in the worst way possible very fast.

So now I need more horror anime. Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions. Big fan of mystery / puzzle plots, too. The shorter, the better! I'd like to think I'm desensitised towards bad animation, now that I've gone successfully through two seasons of Higurashi and most of Shiki, but, uuuuuuh... not too low-budget would be nice, too.

Spooky animes, please :ghost:

If you like higurashi you'd probably like its semi-sequel Umineko. It has many similarities but is also its own thing. The anime is real bad though, so if you're interested you should try either the original vn or the manga.