Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Torquemadras posted:

I'm looking for real spooky anime, guys

I finished Higurashi, and it was pretty good. Looked like garbage, but I was genuinely interested in the story, and I loved all those scenes where everyone is loving crazy and everything goes wrong in the worst way possible. Also - I'm not even sure if this needs to be spoilered, but oh well - I'm a total sucker for time loops. I actually started cheering when they started remembering earlier loops towards the end of the first season, and they just kept topping that in the second. I'm really glad this show wasn't afraid of throwing completely bewildering poo poo at you all the time, only to go back and explain every little thing. Felt very... tidy, almost. This show had that satisfying feeling of completing a puzzle, piece by piece. (It was a loving marker, not a syringe :stare: ) I'm a little disappointed it wasn't as amazingly vile in the end as it was for most of the story - but I guess it's more upbeat after all.

Also watched some of Shiki, and by gawd, do these people have ridiculous anime hair. Feels very much in the same vein as Higurashi, though, and I'm strangely enjoying having dozens of characters introduced at once, only to desperately try to keep track of them while they bounce off of each other and poo poo goes wrong in the worst way possible very fast.

So now I need more horror anime. Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions. Big fan of mystery / puzzle plots, too. The shorter, the better! I'd like to think I'm desensitised towards bad animation, now that I've gone successfully through two seasons of Higurashi and most of Shiki, but, uuuuuuh... not too low-budget would be nice, too.

Spooky animes, please :ghost:

Yamishibai is like 5 minute clips of bad poo poo happening to people, you might like that

I have more manga recs if you'd like those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Torquemadras posted:

Ghost Stories

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I'm looking for real spooky anime, guys

I finished Higurashi, and it was pretty good. Looked like garbage, but I was genuinely interested in the story, and I loved all those scenes where everyone is loving crazy and everything goes wrong in the worst way possible. Also - I'm not even sure if this needs to be spoilered, but oh well - I'm a total sucker for time loops. I actually started cheering when they started remembering earlier loops towards the end of the first season, and they just kept topping that in the second. I'm really glad this show wasn't afraid of throwing completely bewildering poo poo at you all the time, only to go back and explain every little thing. Felt very... tidy, almost. This show had that satisfying feeling of completing a puzzle, piece by piece. (It was a loving marker, not a syringe :stare: ) I'm a little disappointed it wasn't as amazingly vile in the end as it was for most of the story - but I guess it's more upbeat after all.

Also watched some of Shiki, and by gawd, do these people have ridiculous anime hair. Feels very much in the same vein as Higurashi, though, and I'm strangely enjoying having dozens of characters introduced at once, only to desperately try to keep track of them while they bounce off of each other and poo poo goes wrong in the worst way possible very fast.

So now I need more horror anime. Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions. Big fan of mystery / puzzle plots, too. The shorter, the better! I'd like to think I'm desensitised towards bad animation, now that I've gone successfully through two seasons of Higurashi and most of Shiki, but, uuuuuuh... not too low-budget would be nice, too.

GeGeGe no Kitaro (1968)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Any recommendations for Super Robot shows? I've watched, and liked, Gurren Lagann, G-Gundam, Gunbuster, and Diebuster. I've tried Shin Mazinger and GaoGaiGar, but couldn't really get into either.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for Super Robot shows? I've watched, and liked, Gurren Lagann, G-Gundam, Gunbuster, and Diebuster. I've tried Shin Mazinger and GaoGaiGar, but couldn't really get into either.

Giant Robo is a fantastic 7 episode OVA series by the same director as g gundam and shin mazinger. If you don't mind old manga I'd also recommend the Getter Robo saga.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I liked Godannar quite a bit, although you do need to have a certain tolerance for really blatant fanservice for it - other than that, it strikes a good balance between comedy, romance and action.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I am going to second Giant Robo, it seems like a good fit to the shows you liked.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions.

It might not be exactly what you're looking for since it's long form, with every story taking multiple episodes to finish, but this sentence describes Mononoke perfectly. It's a little bit of an investment, and the first episode is much slower than the rest of the show so it takes a bit to get into, but it's completely fantastic. Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales is also pretty great.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If the Getter manga saga seems intimidating, you could start with the four episode anime Neo Getter Robo vs Shin Getter Robo. It features all the major characters in the franchise making it a good place to start, and also features the cowboy robot Texas Mack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Devil Tesla posted:

It might not be exactly what you're looking for since it's long form, with every story taking multiple episodes to finish, but this sentence describes Mononoke perfectly. It's a little bit of an investment, and the first episode is much slower than the rest of the show so it takes a bit to get into, but it's completely fantastic. Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales is also pretty great.
Was going to post pretty much this. Also note that Ayakashi is made up of I think three short stories, the third of which was the pilot for Mononoke. If you watch Ayakashi first and don't like it, Mononoke and its pilot are quite different from the first Ayakashi stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Big O.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you'll looking for a giant robot show and haven't seen Giant Robo, watch Giant Robo.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Okay, this is great. I like the look of Mononoke a lot, and while it doesn't look very gory, there's definitely a lot of hosed-up stuff and incomprehensible mystery going on. Watching this!

Brainamp posted:

Ghost Stories

I'm sorry, too spooky for me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

angels egg (a true work of real art by the master himself mamoru oshii)
urusei yatsura 2: beautiful dreamer (another movie by oshii, so good that people sent him death threats in the mail)

beautiful dreamer has such a huge place in my heart, and is another great example of death threats being the sign of S Class anime.

I've seen a ton of Oshii films but oddly enough not GitS (I'm the least authentic otaku). A buddy of mine invited me over to watch some GitS at one point but it turned out he was talking about the shows - Apparently he is meh on the films ::yare yare::

Have you read the Oshii/Kon collaboration manga? I wonder if it's good or if it suffers from Super Group Syndrome

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 17, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

aim for the ace (teh movie (gunbuster cribs its general plot outline and name from this))

It's also one of Anno's all time favs so I wanna check it out for that reason alone.

I'd love to see you run some kind of 80s anime event here, I'm sure your knowledge of film theory would give it an interesting dynamic

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

It's also one of Anno's all time favs so I wanna check it out for that reason alone.

I'd love to see you run some kind of 80s anime event here, I'm sure your knowledge of film theory would give it an interesting dynamic

There's actually an 80s simulwatch by Smoking Crow in the works.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I shoulda known, these things are really taking off. well, good!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It might be a while though, there are many simulwatches planned.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zas posted:

we did aim for the ace a month or so ago

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

we did aim for the ace a month or so ago

Oh yeah? I'll check it out, thanks!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

beautiful dreamer has such a huge place in my heart, and is another great example of death threats being the sign of S Class anime.

I've seen a ton of Oshii films but oddly enough not GotS (I'm the least authentic otaku). A buddy of mine invited me over to watch some GotS at one point but it turned out he was talking about the shows - Apparently he is meh on the films ::yare yare::

Have you read the Oshii/Kon collaboration manga? I wonder if it's good or if it suffers from Super Group Syndrome

assuming you are talking about ghost in the shell you absolutely need to watch the movies as soon as possible. it's interesting that he is meh on the movies - i am the complete opposite. i think sac is a boring procedural show made a mite more interesting with a cyberpunk sheen but the movies like all the best oshii movies are haunting meditations on metaphysics and specifically ontology. i think innocence is even better than the original.

i have not read their collaboration, but i will look into it as soon as possible. aim for the ace is absolutely essential too and you should watch it when you get a chance. smoking crow is doing an 80s shonen simulwatch where he was planning on doing 3 episodes of important 80s shonen shows. i'd be interested in doing an 80s simulwatch that covers stuff everyone else isn't planning (which still gives a lot of options but some of the best 80s material is being taken care of.) also sakurazuka is doing a good job with his movie thread which is mining similar territory. once things settle down i will take a look at what i would consider "important" that isn't covered by any of these things.

cheers :cheerdoge:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol I wanted to abbreviate it but my brain was thinking "Ghost" and it came out hosed up. but yeah I've been putting it off too long, considering it's such a big deal and it's Oshii. something to cue up after Haruhi ends no doubt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zas posted:

Have you read the Oshii/Kon collaboration manga?

There's a what? :stare:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah it was a thing that ran in animage that they never totally finished, rereleased in 1 volume recently. Seraphim something something. what I've heard is very positive but there's a ton of variables that might make it disappointing. probably a lot of people around here have read it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

It might be a while though, there are many simulwatches planned.

Is there like a list or something?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there like a list or something?

60s grab bag by Gorf Zaplen, Evangelion by Srice (this one may be delayed depending on when decent torrents of the blu-rays appear), The -gatari series by Namtab, Patlabor by me, and 80s grab bag by Smoking Crow.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Droyer posted:

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?

Animation Runner Kuromi
Episode 10 of Paranoia Agent
Episode 6 of Golden Boy

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Oh, and Otaku No Video.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So, can anyone tell me what the main criticisms of Psycho Pass S2 were? I thought maybe it was a little corny at some parts and not really as narratively tight as S1, but it wasn't bad at all. Maybe it's because I was high af the whole time though

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Torquemadras posted:

Kikoushi Enma, it's pretty dark and spooky.

quote:

A remake of Go Nagai's 1973 lighthearted horror anime TV series Dororon Enma-kun.

Kikoushi Enma is a full-fledged horror show, which contains very few lighthearted parts, since it is much more grim and aimed towards adults.

Enma forms together with Yuki-hime and Kappa a team which sends demons back to the netherworld.

(Source: AniDB)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Then after that watch Dororon Enma-kun MeeraMera

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

Then after that watch Dororon Enma-kun MeeraMera

That's mean.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As an actual rec for Torquemadras: watch Shinsekai Yori (find UTW's subs, i didn't like the official ones)

GorfZaplen posted:

That's mean.

it's very scary

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

a kitten posted:

it's very scary

the horror

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Brutakas posted:

Kikoushi Enma, it's pretty dark and spooky.

...hm. I checked out the first episode, and I gotta say, I'm quite underwhelmed.
The central mystery was set up nicely, but the conclusion felt very weak, the way they explained it directly afterwards. Action looked awkward and slow. And worst of all... It wasn't even that terribly spooky, OR gory. The incredibly stupid-looking protagonists might've contributed to that. The episode left me with the feeling that I do not care what this detective agency does, and they're dull, unpleasant people in stupid clothes.
This might sound harsher than I intend - in the end, I was just bored, I guess... For the first episode, I rate this a bored two spooks out of five!
:ghost::ghost:

a kitten posted:

it's very scary

Actually, after watching the first episode of Kikoushi Enma, this looks legitimately better
...perhaps not spookier, though :v:

a kitten posted:

As an actual rec for Torquemadras: watch Shinsekai Yori (find UTW's subs, i didn't like the official ones)

Tried that one earlier - had it recommended to me in the last thread! Started interesting enough, but I got very bored during the episodes with Exposition Slug, and the whole molerat introduction is so low-budget it hurts my eyes... Maybe I'll power through those episodes someday, in the hopes the quality goes up? Meh.

In any case, I know watched a lot of Mononoke, and it's pretty great. Looks crazy, has some very disturbing things going on, and I enjoy all the little character stories in the overarching mystery. It feels more like mystery than horror to me, but that's cool. I rate it a cool four spooks out of five!
:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From the New World is kind of a slow burn (and yeah the exposition episode is kinda awkward), and it's weird becomes sometimes the direction is fan-loving-tastic and others can seem really flat. I still love it however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9XL35b9OjI

Dororon Enma-kun MeeraMera (*BAMF* It's Enma! ~crickle crackle~) is hilarious and lewd and silly. I didn't like the serious version of it either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, no, I tried one episode of serious Enma and it was just boring.

Boogiepop Phantom or Lain might be an idea, neither of are scary exactly but I can't think of anything else that goes weird and unsettling better.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

It isn't :ghost:-spooky, but have you seen Monster? The art and mood becomes very scary at times, but it's less supernatural and more psychological.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Boogiepop Phantom or Lain might be an idea, neither of are scary exactly but I can't think of anything else that goes weird and unsettling better.

I tried to get into Boogiepop Phantom, but... meh... It was definitely unsettling, but at first I thought I watched a really, really bad version - NOPE, that's how it looks all the time. I dig how mean-spirited it seems and how it explains nothing ever so far, but it's unintentionally hilarious. Got a good chuckle out of the most recent episode I watched: Girl goes "I love the world!", dude pretty much goes "Nope", girl freaks the gently caress out Maybe I'll give this another go.

VostokProgram posted:

It isn't :ghost:-spooky, but have you seen Monster? The art and mood becomes very scary at times, but it's less supernatural and more psychological.

I don't know a lot about Monster, but I think it's by the dude who made 20th Century Boys? (Controversial statement incoming: I liked some aspects of 20th Century Boys, but ultimately I think it's not as smart as it seems to think, and it has some rather silly and contrived plot devices...)
I heard good things about it, but given it's high episode count and that it seems rather slow-paced is kind of discouraging to me...

In any case, good news regarding Mononoke - I finished it and it's really, really good. My favorite is probably the last one: that one felt the most like an intricate mystery puzzle! I actually watched it before Ayakashi, I have to check that one out as well, at least the Mononoke segment.

On entirely unrelated matters: can anybody explain to me what the gently caress is going on with the Monogatari series? I decided to check out the first two episodes, since it's by the Madoka director, and holy poo poo is this gorgeous. And tits. Those are good. (Re: Cutie Honey is cool and good) So far, it seems to be cool dialogue in super-stylish environments + fanservice overload. I might watch it for the style alone, but to be honest, I'm not confident where this show might go, since I usually have a strong dislike for harem tropes and a NOPEI'MTHEFUCKOUTOFHERE reaction to things bordering/consisting of pedo stuff. I'd ask in the Monogatari thread, but it looks like every single poster there has a Monogatari avatar, which does not convince me of their impartial advice :v: This thread is very informative, so any opinions on this? (Note: I will judge you by your avatar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monogatari is a series with lots of really good things and also lots of really bad things and it's up to the individual viewer to decide which is more important, I feel.