Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo, recommend me something cool if you dare!

Stuff I enjoyed:

Gundam 0080: War In the Pocket (To me, this is the Gundam series that gets the character-driven melodrama right where almost every other Gundam series gets it so dreadfully wrong. 08th MS team is cool until it shits the bed in the last 3 or so episodes. MS IGLOO is ok.)
Kaiji (Manly-tears gambling anime with Marxist sensibilities? It's like it was made for me. I tried Akagi and didn't enjoy it as much. Partly due to the Mahjongg focus and partly due to it not being quite as fun to watch a character who has an iron grip on everything compared to one who's really struggling. That's not to say the "mastermind hero" can't be entertaining.)
Lupin III (I watched the Fujiko Mine series and enjoyed it until it began having a tighter serial narrative towards the end. The leery rape stuff with Fujiko was tasteless and the plot was close to nonsensical.)
Armored Trooper VOTOMS (I've seen and enjoyed Armor Hunter Mellowlink as well.)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (COME BACK JOJO)
Mononoke (I didn't enjoy MuShiShi.)
Cowboy Bebop (Another case where the episodic series is very cool but the tendency towards a serial narrative near the end descends into poor writing and overly 'anime' stuff. Samurai Champloo just didn't do it for me.)
Yu Yu Hakusho (A childhood favorite. I'm not opposed to a shonen series if it's good- see JoJo. The combination of the supernatural stuff and the street punks is funny, but it ends up in 'interminable tournament' territory after a while.)
Cromartie High School (Anime comedy is very much a miss for me, but this one was absurd in juuuust the right way. Any comedy anime is going to be a hard sell for me. I watched the dub of this, which I think was the right choice in this case.)

Stuff that didn't do it for me:

Fullmetal Alchemist (Tried both series. There are a lot of elements to like here but it just doesn't come together. Too much goofy, tonedeaf anime poo poo going on. Protagonist isn't likeable.)
Baccanno! (Again, a cool setting and idea, but the complex, layered plot got revealed over time to involve a lot of hand-waving and happenstance, and a lot of the dialogue and character writing were really bad. I liked the Bonnie and Clyde duo.)
Trigun (gently caress this series for having the coolest setting and the most irritating protagonist with the dumbest narrative and conflicts.)
Evangelion (Some awesome design, and the OVAs have some of the most beautifully animated sequences around, but the psychobabble and cargo-cult religious symbol stuff comes off as juvenile in a bad way.)
Attack on Titan
Probably almost all moe/slice of life stuff.

Patlabor. Generally recommended to go Early Days OVAs -> Movie 1 -> Movie 2, then if one wants more, the TV anime, which is in a different continuity with the same characters.

Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt has a fantastic dub and is hilarious with occasional neat action scenes.

e:
I didn't say anything about Patlabor. The thread sells it better than I could.

Kaiba for trippy pseudo-episodic sci-fi

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Seconding the Patlabor recommendation. There's also a Patlabor simulwatch planned, so you could wait for that.

Also, there are no Evangelion OVAs, so i'm not sure what you're talking about.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

strongest man kurosawa, one outs and stop using anime as a bad word when literally all you're talking about is anime

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Droyer posted:

Also, there are no Evangelion OVAs, so i'm not sure what you're talking about.

Evangelion: The movie: Recut: End of Evangelion 2.1: All You (Need) Is Love

Davincie posted:

strongest man kurosawa, one outs and stop using anime as a bad word when literally all you're talking about is anime

There are very characteristic styles of writing, characterization, and physical gags that are unique to anime that I find repellent. They are not present in every anime, but in lots of them, and I find it deleterious to my ability to enjoy them.

Strongest Man Kurosawa looks cool. I don't really read manga but I might check it out.

Re: Patlabor

I've always thought the movies looked cool. I'm more looking for a TV series to watch though. I did try watching the Patlabor series a while back and did not care for it much, but I've heard the OVAs/movies are tonally different, and better.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Re: Patlabor

I've always thought the movies looked cool. I'm more looking for a TV series to watch though. I did try watching the Patlabor series a while back and did not care for it much, but I've heard the OVAs/movies are tonally different, and better.

The movie continuity and tv continuity have different strengths. The movies have the best action and thriller moments, while the tv series has better characterization and humor. Which you like more is a matter of personal taste.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho (A childhood favorite. I'm not opposed to a shonen series if it's good- see JoJo. The combination of the supernatural stuff and the street punks is funny, but it ends up in 'interminable tournament' territory after a while.)

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is by the same author with a solid adaptation.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

black lagoon, gunbuster, fist of the north star (the movie), space adventure cobra, dirty pair: project eden, riding bean, cyber city oedo 808, devilman ovas, dominion tank police, megazone 23 parts 1&2

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

There are very characteristic styles of writing, characterization, and physical gags that are unique to anime that I find repellent. They are not present in every anime, but in lots of them, and I find it deleterious to my ability to enjoy them.

i don't actually know what this means. like, i guess your parents were shanked in a dark alley before your eyes by giant sweat drops and chibi faces, but other than that? the word 'anime' as an insult doesn't seem to actually mean anything beyond 1.made in japan and 2.i don't like it

not even trying to be hostile, i'd legitimately like to know what exactly you mean by this. do you mean shows being made for children? melodrama? bad exposition? is it literally just "I'm really loving mad about chibi faces and sweat drops"? a lot of those things i think most normal people would just call 'bad', or describe what specifically they don't like instead of rolling it all into a boogie man golem of "ANIME!!!!!!!!!!! :argh:", and i don't agree that they're not present in lots of other media, except maybe the chibi faces and sweat drops. worse in anime maybe, but this thing where people throw a fit over mildly obnoxious tropes in anime is absolutely as unique to the medium as the tropes themselves are

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 2, 2015

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

GorfZaplen posted:

Here's a list I worked with last year, although "good" is extremely subjective here:
Devilman (Parts 1+2)

I will defend these OVAs to the death. They're childhood favourites of mine, especially the Manga Entertainment dubs.

"Amon's eating poo poo in hell right now. You can call me... DEVILMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 2, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

icantfindaname posted:

i don't actually know what this means. like, i guess your parents were shanked in a dark alley before your eyes by giant sweat drops and chibi faces, but other than that? the word 'anime' as an insult doesn't seem to actually mean anything beyond 1.made in japan and 2.i don't like it

not even trying to be hostile, i'd legitimately like to know what exactly you mean by this. do you mean shows being made for children? melodrama? bad exposition? is it literally just "I'm really loving mad about chibi faces and sweat drops"? a lot of those things i think most normal people would just call 'bad', or describe what specifically they don't like instead of rolling it all into a boogie man golem of "ANIME!!!!!!!!!!! :argh:", and i don't agree that they're not present in lots of other media, except maybe the chibi faces and sweat drops

I can't imagine anyone who regularly participates in this forum doesn't have any idea on what the guy means. There are a lot of lovely tropes that are 90% related specifically to anime that are horrendously dumb. And it isn't just "chibi faces" or "sweat drops". It includes pandering moe bullshit, the propensity for the high school setting regardless of its storytelling usefulness, the advent of the protag harem, and a bunch of other crap.

When people use "anime" as a pejorative, I get it because that poo poo exists and gets on my nerves, too. The only difference is I'm willing to ignore it for the parts I do like. And I totally understand if someone else isn't.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am ready for Fourth Impact.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Normies might as well get hosed so I don't give a rat's rear end if they get repelled by anime tropes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I can't imagine anyone who regularly participates in this forum doesn't have any idea on what the guy means. There are a lot of lovely tropes that are 90% related specifically to anime that are horrendously dumb. And it isn't just "chibi faces" or "sweat drops". It includes pandering moe bullshit, the propensity for the high school setting regardless of its storytelling usefulness, the advent of the protag harem, and a bunch of other crap.

When people use "anime" as a pejorative, I get it because that poo poo exists and gets on my nerves, too. The only difference is I'm willing to ignore it for the parts I do like. And I totally understand if someone else isn't.

moe is good though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I love it when people act like anime is the only medium ever to have female characters that are just there to be cute and/or sexy. Nothing else has ever done that, no sir.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Most other mediums save that kind of character for adult women, however.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

aids

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXKKLc_qgw

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Welcome back. Let's try this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxvZdnS6aw4

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Hi guys, I'm still looking for anime (in Crunchyroll) that'll make me cry out of happiness/heartwarming.

Nate RFB posted:

There were some eps in the new NNB season that, while I wouldn't say hit hard, were certainly emotional resonating.

Thanks! While the first season was too chill to make me cry, the second season episode with Renge and Candy Store got me all teary eyed.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

Hi guys, I'm still looking for anime (in Crunchyroll) that'll make me cry out of happiness/heartwarming.

Thanks! While the first season was too chill to make me cry, the second season episode with Renge and Candy Store got me all teary eyed.

My love story

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

My love story

The last episode made me cry!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

gmq posted:

Shirobako. Hanasaku iroha.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

usagi drop, also read sweetness and lightning on their reader

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

usagi drop

I remember reading somewhere here that it was awful?

Allarion posted:

Shirobako.

Seen it, cried!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

you should watch anohana if you haven't already

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

From what i heard the manga ends in the worst way possiblr, but the anime ends long before that point and is fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

gmq posted:

The manga includes a timeskip which soured a lot of people on the story.

The anime ends before the timeskip, so consequently it's the iteration that gets recommended.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

I'm not sure if it's actually still on crunchryoll, but yeah the Bunny Drop is so heartwarming your heart might literally burst into flames. It's super good.
So watch that if it is still up, and consider it even if it's not.

AnoHana is another good suggestion, it is much heavier on the sadness however.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

you should watch anohana if you haven't already

a kitten posted:

AnoHana is another good suggestion, it is much heavier on the sadness however.

I don't really agree; you may or may not like anohana if crying from happiness/heartwarming is your thing. I felt like laughing from how hard it tried to sell a cheesy, melodramatic ending as a heartwarming finale.

Key anime adaptations are good for heartwarming/destroying romance drama, but the only one on CR is Angel Beats as far as I know. I really liked Angel Beats but it has some obvious production issues in that its second half is very rushed. It's still got some melodrama at the end, but there was enough good stuff there to counter.

N'thing Usagi Drop (the anime). Absolutely adorable and heartwarming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. I always recommend the usagi drop anime because it's outstanding and doesn't overstay its welcome, and it's a goddamn shame the manga turned so terrible that it retroactively soured people on giving the anime a shot. But if you just stick with the anime you'll be fine, do not read the manga.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Will there ever be an anime as funny as Detroit Metal City

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I much preferred Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Will there ever be an anime as funny as Detroit Metal City

Panty + Stocking for the same kind of crude humor.

I don't think there will be any anime with the same motif that could hit it as well as DMC.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm in the mood for something optimistic -- is there anything like the manga/anime equivalent of Star Trek? Something set in a clean, optimistic future, about characters doing things in space or somesuch. Planetes was great, but a bit downbeat.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I'm in the mood for something optimistic -- is there anything like the manga/anime equivalent of Star Trek? Something set in a clean, optimistic future, about characters doing things in space or somesuch. Planetes was great, but a bit downbeat.

Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yes, i'm 100% serious. That's almost exactly how I would describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yes, i'm 100% serious. That's almost exactly how I would describe it.

Seriously, it's a good space show. Outlaw Star is also good. Someone's probably gonna recommend Space Dandy in a minute, but that's got a tenuous grip on reality/science in the same way Doctor Who does.