Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

a kitten posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yes, i'm 100% serious. That's almost exactly how I would describe it.

Ah, I never tried that when it was airing because of the wackadoo title! I guess this merits a second look. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, I never tried that when it was airing because of the wackadoo title! I guess this merits a second look. Thanks!

Warning does contain some fanservice:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy is awesome, but it's not really much of an optimistic space show as it was a vehicle for crazy directors to make really fun stories with little-to-no interconnection and lots of really amazing art and animation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Will there ever be an anime as funny as Detroit Metal City

Cromartie High School, if you watch the dub.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Irresponsible Captain Tylor takes a generic space war setting and then spends its entire run making fun of how silly it is to fight each other, ending with one of the best "Why don't we all just get along?" endings I've seen. Not exactly the clean future you asked for, but it has optimism in spades and is just good fun overall.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I'm in the mood for something optimistic -- is there anything like the manga/anime equivalent of Star Trek? Something set in a clean, optimistic future, about characters doing things in space or somesuch. Planetes was great, but a bit downbeat.

K-ON is very optimistic

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

littleorv posted:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Space Dandy is awesome, but it's not really much of an optimistic space show as it was a vehicle for crazy directors to make really fun stories with little-to-no interconnection and lots of really amazing art and animation.

The longer I watched Space Dandy, the more I had the impression that it's ALSO a really, really good scifi show - only, weirdly enough, without really bothering with the whole "science" thing. Several episodes play with weird as hell scifi concepts and explore them. They feel like crazed "what if" episodes thrown into space, almost like thought experiments. To me at least, good scifi always plays around with unusual concepts - the science part is really quite secondary, and on one end of the spectrum it's magic anyway. We've got stuff like literal time streams, sentient death planets, lifeforms migrating between planets, all-time classic time loops, teleportation beams, a world of undeath, that REALLY weird notebook thing, the most perfect shapechanger imaginable, world-ending music, sentient plants wishing for a simpler life, Laika's fate, an invading two-dimensional universe and, of course, Dandy's "godhood"... It's always goofy, but there's rad scifi concepts in there.

I really like Space Dandy, guys

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

It's so good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Namtab posted:

K-ON is very optimistic

K-ON is not set in the future or in space!

littleorv posted:

I'm working through this slowly, and it is not optimistic and Star Trek-like! :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

K-ON is not set in the future or in space!

I'm working through this slowly, and it is not optimistic and Star Trek-like! :(

More DS9 than TOS.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So what is looking to be good this season besides One Punch Man?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid is a sure winner.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

owarimonogatari, first episode of new gundam was solid

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Fat_Cow posted:

Haikyuu!!

These dumb volleyball boys are gunna make me cry again I just know it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Panty + Stocking for the same kind of crude humor.

I don't think there will be any anime with the same motif that could hit it as well as DMC.

Yeah that was funny, weird that they never went into the season 2 they sort of hinted at. Liked the soundtrack too. I feel like if it came out today it would be really popular

Bongo Bill posted:

Cromartie High School, if you watch the dub.
Ooh yeah that's also a good one. I watched them around the same time and my standards for funny anime were set way too high

Torquemadras posted:

The longer I watched Space Dandy, the more I had the impression that it's ALSO a really, really good scifi show - only, weirdly enough, without really bothering with the whole "science" thing. Several episodes play with weird as hell scifi concepts and explore them. They feel like crazed "what if" episodes thrown into space, almost like thought experiments. To me at least, good scifi always plays around with unusual concepts - the science part is really quite secondary, and on one end of the spectrum it's magic anyway. We've got stuff like literal time streams, sentient death planets, lifeforms migrating between planets, all-time classic time loops, teleportation beams, a world of undeath, that REALLY weird notebook thing, the most perfect shapechanger imaginable, world-ending music, sentient plants wishing for a simpler life, Laika's fate, an invading two-dimensional universe and, of course, Dandy's "godhood"... It's always goofy, but there's rad scifi concepts in there.

This is gonna sound weird but Rick and Morty gives me very Space Dandy vibes but played a lot more... American I guess?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What are some good short robot shows? Like, two cours at the most?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Giant robo: the day the earth stood still

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Have you watched G-Reco or Build Fighters yet?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

Giant robo: the day the earth stood still

I seen it

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you watched G-Reco or Build Fighters yet?

I've watched every televised Gundam series

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hmm... Martian Successor Nadesico?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seconding this. Nadesico owns. Don't watch the movie though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

boom boom boom posted:

Escaflowne and Gun x Sword are two simulwatch examples that come to mind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

boom boom boom posted:

Panzer World Galient

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nate RFB posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Panzer World Galient

these look like cool shows

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah that was funny, weird that they never went into the season 2 they sort of hinted at. Liked the soundtrack too. I feel like if it came out today it would be really popular

Ooh yeah that's also a good one. I watched them around the same time and my standards for funny anime were set way too high

This is gonna sound weird but Rick and Morty gives me very Space Dandy vibes but played a lot more... American I guess?

The team who did Panty + Stocking broke off shortly after to make Trigger. And since Gainax has the rights, it kind of stranded the show.

Also, seconding the point on Rick and Morty. Such a good loving show.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Nate RFB posted:

Can get behind both of these recommendations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gun x Sword is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwww_MPqzBI

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Radio Spiricom posted:

black lagoon, gunbuster, fist of the north star (the movie), space adventure cobra, dirty pair: project eden, riding bean, cyber city oedo 808, devilman ovas, dominion tank police, megazone 23 parts 1&2

Thanks for this, I'm digging these old school OVAs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Riding Bean is cool but gross in the exact same way Gunsmith Cats is gross, which is troubling (the author is gross)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gunsmith Cats is a textbook example of a fantastic, gorgeous series brought down by the author's issues (he is a creepy fucker, possibly a pedophile)

The gunplay, mechanical detail, and drama are all fantastic, and then you have characters like Minnie May

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's a real bummer, and going from the OVA to the manga is hosed up; At least you can try and brush aside Minnie May as just being small in the OVA. Reading her backstory and then current story is obscene.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

boom boom boom posted:

Nate RFB posted:

Escaflowne

Escaflowne is an excellent show with great music, great robots, and hilarious technobabble bullshit. It's an enduring favorite of mine.

Edit: Also, since seeing it mentioned in the mecha thread brought it to mind: BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 6, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Zero_Tactility posted:

Escaflowne is an excellent show with great music, great robots, and hilarious technobabble bullshit.

UNMEI KAIHEN!!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 6, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zero_Tactility posted:

Escaflowne is an excellent show with great music, great robots, and hilarious technobabble bullshit. It's an enduring favorite of mine.

It has the best straight up random badguy mastermind reveal. I want to know what Shoji Kawamori was smoking when he came up with that little twist.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they made that Escaflowne movie. "Hey, you know this really great series with likable characters and fun adventure? Yeah, lets remove all that and make all the characters assholes and be dicks to each other."

Such a bummer of a movie, especially coming off the series.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they made that Escaflowne movie. "Hey, you know this really great series with likable characters and fun adventure? Yeah, lets remove all that and make all the characters assholes and be dicks to each other."

Such a bummer of a movie, especially coming off the series.

See also: Nadesico

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I feel like I've watched too many talky shows recently.

So please recommend me animes with ridiculously awesome guns and ridiculously awesome shooting of ridiculously awesome guns

None of that mecha stuff. I want hard-boiled shooting mans with ridiculous outfits. I watched Hellsing and that fulfilled all criteria, as well as having a surprisingly tidy and satisfying ending. It is what I shall measure all shooty animes by in the future.

Give me violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Did you watch Hellsing TV or the Hellsing Ultimate OVA? The TV series only followed the manga for its first half, and then made up its own ending which is prettty universally agreed to be vastly inferior to the manga. So if you only saw TV, Ultimate will still have plenty to offer.

I can't really think of a good gun-centric show right now (maybe Trigun, but that one is more goofy than violent), but if you want awesome crazy action with minimal talking then Redline should be a good one.

Edit: I totally forgot about Black Lagoon, that one is pretty much Stupid Gun Violence: The Anime.

fezball fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 6, 2015