Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Since I read a cool article about how Dimitar Berbatov is cool, I thought it was necessary for there to be a thread where we can aggregate cool and good articles that don't really have a home in the monthly Premier League threads or Football Photos, or whatever.

So here, start with these three:

A SERIOUS MAN: Unravelling the persona of Dimitar Berbatov

A Soccer Comeback for a Long-Struggling Country (it's about Albania, which is either good or bad, I dunno. Let the vile race myths fly!)

Brazil's Finest Who Fade Away or Why Do Brazilians Turn Into Fatties So Quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This was posted in a different thread a while back, but The prison where murderers play for Manchester United is a pretty great piece about football in a Ugandan prison and it's well worth reading.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Good thread idea. I read a lot of stuff, can't wait to contribute. :)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/magazine/06Soccer-t.html?referrer=

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

How a Soccer Star Is Made - New York Times Magazine piece about Ajax youth academy

This is quality stuff

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This article about the first ever live televised football match is cool. It was an Arsenal exhibition game in 1938

http://www.theguardian.com/football/tvandradioblog/2015/sep/16/how-arsenal-blazed-tv-trail-jostling-for-airtime-with-cartoons-and-smut

quote:

“The television demonstrations will show tactics on the field, shooting in goal, dribbling and goalkeeping,” began a preview in the Manchester Guardian. “Three cameras will be used, one being on the stands to give a comprehensive view of the ground, and two others near the goalmouth to give close-ups of the play and players and visual interviews. No film will be used, transmission being by radio direct to Alexandra Palace, which can actually be seen from the ground.”

The video halfway down is essential viewing too

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

This is quality stuff

Truly. Especially knowing that the Ajax players coming through at that time were poo poo and the head of the academy, Jan Olde Riekerink, was sacked in 2011.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

jyrka posted:

Truly. Especially knowing that the Ajax players coming through at that time were poo poo and the head of the academy, Jan Olde Riekerink, was sacked in 2011.

Also the 5 year old mentioned near the end now plays for Feyenoord's academy :owned:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

vyelkin posted:

This was posted in a different thread a while back, but The prison where murderers play for Manchester United is a pretty great piece about football in a Ugandan prison and it's well worth reading.
David Goldblatt is a great writer and a funny guy who is very kind. His book The Ball is Round is also a good read if a bit thick in the tooth (800 odd pages).

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
In honour of the COC game between Manchester United and Ipswich, here's a fairly recent, extremely long-winded article about Craig Forrest, the keeper who somehow managed to concede sixteen goals in two games against United, nine of them from when he was an Ipswich player in 1995.

quote:

Forrest’s final boss at Ipswich was George Burley, a manager he thinks learnt a lot at the start of his time in charge as the Blues crashed out of the Premier League.

Talking about this stage of his Town career meant the inevitable discussion of the March 1995 9-0 defeat at Manchester United with some surprising relief on the day for Forrest.

“I enjoyed working under George Burley too, obviously a legendary player at Ipswich, but when he first arrived as manager I think he learnt a lot when he was there with us.

“Going down the road I think he learnt so much and became a great manager. But when he first came to us, like the Man U 9-0, the pre-match talk was ‘They wont expect us to attack’. Well yeah, I guess they didn’t!

“But after a few years I don’t think he would get beaten 9-0 again, he just learned a lot over that period of time as anybody would.

“That game was tough, it keeps coming up especially when the day comes round. I did actually think when the game was being played that it was 10! So I was actually pretty happy they didn’t hit double figures.

“It was difficult but as a goalkeeper if you play long enough you’re going to get games like that and it’s very humbling.”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HJB posted:

In honour of the COC game between Manchester United and Ipswich, here's a fairly recent, extremely long-winded article about Craig Forrest, the keeper who somehow managed to concede sixteen goals in two games against United, nine of them from when he was an Ipswich player in 1995.

Craig Forrest is a cool dude and one of Canada's best ever players so everybody should read this article imo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Bleacher Report tried to track down Ali Dia

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2551248-the-search-for-ali-dia-legendary-football-hoaxster-turned-houdini

Not an incredible bit of journalism or anything, but it is interesting to see how many clubs were conned along the way.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

trem_two posted:

Bleacher Report tried to track down Ali Dia

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2551248-the-search-for-ali-dia-legendary-football-hoaxster-turned-houdini

Not an incredible bit of journalism or anything, but it is interesting to see how many clubs were conned along the way.

That's a pretty good article, I didn't realise he kept going after playing a game for us. George Weahs cousin will always be in our hearts

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I had always assumed that his Southampton appearance was a one-off thing he did as a kind of joke. Now I can't tell whether he actually thought he was good enough to be a professional footballer or if this was some elaborate scheme he cooked up to make a few bucks.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FourFourTwo did a great piece on him years ago. Amazing story

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Can someone good at the internet find the full article that was located here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...m-10513257.html

It has been completely scrubbed from the internet including archive sites and google cache, which makes me wonder what was in it and want to read it.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I ready posted this link in the PL thread, but the Guardian posted an excerpt of a very good (and very long) Blizzard article about the contrasting fortunes of Liverpool and Manchester United in the mid-90s.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/22/manchester-united-liverpool-class-of-92-spice-boys-eric-cantona

I like the slightly different take it had on the Spice Boys era.

Are all Blizzard articles this good?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Yeah, there's some duds in there occasionally but on the whole it's worth the money imo

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
That was a super cool article. Are there any books covering that period? Are the biographies of the players worth it?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Waroduce posted:

That was a super cool article. Are there any books covering that period? Are the biographies of the players worth it?

If you want the Liverpool perspective, I've heard good things about The Men in White Suits by Simon Hughes.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 23, 2015

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Howard Kendall and Athletic Bilbao

(Apologies for the Sid Lowe, but it's not too bad really)

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The Guardian's Joy Of Six has a recent piece celebrating unglamorous football clubs. I'm a tad biased but it's a good read nonetheless. Also:

quote:

Anything more than a glance at Colchester reveals that this is a club for which you could develop an affection. Or a healthy loathing, whichever feels right.

Check the comments for plenty of the latter...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
good interview with Vicente del bosque

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/10/vicente-del-bosque-spain-english-football-style-ronaldo-messi

Sid Lowe should stick to interviews.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A long-winded puff piece about how Chris Smalling came up through the ranks and is now a good defender

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Ex Fiorentina fans start up new club, name it after a character played by Jeff Bridges

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Good story about Alan Nicholls, who went from playing in goal for England at the Toulon Tournament to non-league football before he died at age 22 in a motorcycle crash

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

The 100mph life in plymouth is a sad prospect.

This puff isn't the best thing in the world, but it's about England's True #10 and blames Jose Mourinho. The Joe Cole Conundrum.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A profile of Paul McGrath.

I'd imagine there are more extensive articles out there. I knew he was this great defender with a drinking problem, but had never heard of that story at the beginning of the article. Sad.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
His autobiography is one of the best in football

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Monday Bandele posted:

His autobiography is one of the best in football

It certainly is. Gives a good insight into both the separation between his personal life and his football life, and also the troubles he had without ever feeling like its asking for sympathy or excusing the things he had done, or even glorifying the hedonism.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I'm going to an evening with him tonight in Dublin, should offer a bit more than these type of things usually do.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Johnathan Wilson did a cool and good 2 part obituary for mourinho

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articles/the-devils-party/

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articles/the-devils-party-part-2/

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol:

Mourinho left to make his fortune and succeeded, but when he wanted to return they denied him. He was a little bit different. He wasn’t a player but a translator-turned-coach. He wasn’t one of them. He didn’t think like them. He didn’t instantly revere Rinus Michels. He looked at the game and asked not how to win while playing well, but simply how to win. He had a pragmatic edge that meant he never quite fitted in. He came, in 2008, replete with honours, wanting to be coach and they preferred one of their own, whose coaching experience consisted of one season with the reserve team. He became the outcast, the rebel, the fallen angel. He began to define himself in opposition to Barcelona and thus to the prevailing footballing ethos of the age, determining, like Satan in Paradise Lost, that “glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me.” He would not play by their rules; he do things his way in self-conscious opposition and prove that he was right. He vowed, like Milton’s Satan “to wage by force of guile eternal war, irreconcilable to our grand Foe.”

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

As a supporter of Jose, I enjoyed it very much.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JFairfax posted:

lol:

Mourinho left to make his fortune and succeeded, but when he wanted to return they denied him. He was a little bit different. He wasn’t a player but a translator-turned-coach. He wasn’t one of them. He didn’t think like them. He didn’t instantly revere Rinus Michels. He looked at the game and asked not how to win while playing well, but simply how to win. He had a pragmatic edge that meant he never quite fitted in. He came, in 2008, replete with honours, wanting to be coach and they preferred one of their own, whose coaching experience consisted of one season with the reserve team. He became the outcast, the rebel, the fallen angel. He began to define himself in opposition to Barcelona and thus to the prevailing footballing ethos of the age, determining, like Satan in Paradise Lost, that “glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me.” He would not play by their rules; he do things his way in self-conscious opposition and prove that he was right. He vowed, like Milton’s Satan “to wage by force of guile eternal war, irreconcilable to our grand Foe.”
Football is a fabulously silly game, I'll quite happily take any attempt to elevate its drama with cultural references that don't involve Star Wars.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

JFairfax posted:

lol:

the thread topic *is* long winded puff pieces

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know, that paragraph did make me chuckle though. I read both parts in their entirety, thanks for posting it, was a good read.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I recently read an article about Barcelona's youth system where near the end there was a table showing how many hours per week different age groups train. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Cheers!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This website is doing a retrospective "could have been" talents. I only read the Lentili one, who I barely remember if I'm honest.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/01/14/they-could-have-been-one-of-footballs-greatest-gianluigi-lentini/

There's an Adu one in there, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Gigi Galli posted:

This website is doing a retrospective "could have been" talents. I only read the Lentili one, who I barely remember if I'm honest.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/01/14/they-could-have-been-one-of-footballs-greatest-gianluigi-lentini/

There's an Adu one in there, lol

Nice articles, tho I find the Jason Koumas one much more lol worthy than the Adu one. Benfica did pay $2m for him at 18 after all.

• Locked thread