Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

RIP Dean Ashton's legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The articles about guys who had everything going for them and just got wrecked by injury, like Ashton and Lentili, are just sad to read. :(

Adu, on the other hand, is amazing. Reading all that stuff about how he was the best thing since sliced bread at "fourteen" years old.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still think of that promotional vacuum cleaner tweet of his and lol

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 16, 2016

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
They should do Diaby next.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

sticksy posted:

They should do Diaby next.

P sure the BMJ has a word limit

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
It's got a little bit of the typical football journalism wankery, but i enjoyed this write up on Wenger:

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/01/14/the-disputed-genius-of-arsene-wenger/

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
In memory of Duncan Sperguson, a nice enough dude, and a good poster. Melted down, I believe.

The night Duncan Ferguson became the legend before he became the player

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Not really an article but I was wondering if anyone here's read Raymond Verheijen's books and what did you think of it?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Harry Arter talking about the death of his daughter

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/29/harry-arter-bournemouth-interview-loss-daughter

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Another savior for US Soccer

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/03/can-this-man-save-us-soccer/426858/

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Good Mascherano interview here.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/19/javier-mascherano-barcelona-nicklas-bendtner-changed-career

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from the FIFA Corruption thread, an ESPN piece about the US investigation. Finally we can figure out who the hell RICO is.

e: You missed an important part of this post m8

e: Oops. Thanks, dogg.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 20, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Great article from Vice Sports about Cobresal, a small-time perennially struggling team in the Chilean top flight that won their first ever domestic championship in the 2014/15 season as massive underdogs, and how off-field factors have crippled them.

It would make a great 30 for 30 doco.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-rapid-rise-and-faster-fall-of-chiles-forgotten-national-champions

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A nice piece on a player for whom I have nothing but man-crush feelings.

Thomas Müller: the modest assassin

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

TheBigAristotle posted:

A nice piece on a player for whom I have nothing but man-crush feelings.

Thomas Müller: the modest assassin
The journalism here is good, Muller's backstory is cute.

I wish that people would just create a lexicon to discuss movement/intelligence rather than masturbating over the concept of space and 'arriving at just the right time' like every single football article that's been released in the past few years (including a few of mine) it's not like a spiritual or mysterious occurrence. People do the same poo poo when they talk about Ozil as though he's some loving incredible disappearing magician.

I think people are drawn to writing about football because it has an atmosphere of romanticism and mystery and they can say whatever the gently caress they want because the game hasn't been completely quantified, but it has gotten out of hand.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

straight up brolic posted:

The journalism here is good, Muller's backstory is cute.

I wish that people would just create a lexicon to discuss movement/intelligence rather than masturbating over the concept of space and 'arriving at just the right time' like every single football article that's been released in the past few years (including a few of mine) it's not like a spiritual or mysterious occurrence. People do the same poo poo when they talk about Ozil as though he's some loving incredible disappearing magician.

I think people are drawn to writing about football because it has an atmosphere of romanticism and mystery and they can say whatever the gently caress they want because the game hasn't been completely quantified, but it has gotten out of hand.

This hit its peak in triangles era Barca and has been unbearable ever since.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'd rather have players ghosting into pockets of space than DZSiBot garbage.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Hey guys, if anyone has an answer to these three very important questions, I'd be much appreciated. :)

jyrka posted:

Can someone good at the internet find the full article that was located here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...m-10513257.html

It has been completely scrubbed from the internet including archive sites and google cache, which makes me wonder what was in it and want to read it.

jyrka posted:

I recently read an article about Barcelona's youth system where near the end there was a table showing how many hours per week different age groups train. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Cheers!

jyrka posted:

Not really an article but I was wondering if anyone here's read Raymond Verheijen's books and what did you think of it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Holy hell, America.

quote:

When putting together plans for his league, Paglia was approached in early 1993 by a doctor called Jay Kessler. Kessler, Paglia said, had been working on proposals for a new version of soccer that he thought would be more suited to the US sports fan. Although he had coached, played and been involved with soccer most of his professional life, Paglia admitted that he did not find the game that interesting to watch, and agreed to hear out Kessler.

“I loved it,” Paglia said. “I thought it was magnificent – and I still do. I still believe it has a place somewhere in the world.”

Over the months that followed, it was agreed that EDE would use the altered version of the game, named ProZone Soccer, for their league.

The game being proposed saw the pitch divided coloured chevrons, limiting certain players’ movements within these zones. Players would also wear different coloured shirts based on their positions to help distinguish the zones they were allowed to enter – red for defenders, blue for midfielders, yellow for forwards, white for strikers. (Defenders, diagrams showed, could only go 45 yards from the opposition’s goal but 15 yards from their own goal, for example.) In order to monitor whether a player had entered an unpermitted zone, eight officials would be present, and each player would wear an electronic signalling device that would set off a series of buzzers and lights in the high tech stadiums.

There would also be a points based system, so long-range goals would be worth more. These points ranged from one for a striker to three for a defender, and a team could earn an extra half point if their player scored between the posts of the traditional-sized goal and a new, larger outer goal that was being proposed.

This outer goal, the plans hoped, would make games more difficult for modern day goalkeepers. “When goalposts were first designed, the average English goalkeeper was 5ft 7in,” Paglia explains, “whereas today the average keeper is over 6ft tall.”

Instead of halves, games would be split into three 20-minute periods. Each team had to change some part of lineup between the first and second period; in the third period they could use a the first period’s lineup, the second period’s lineup, or a completely new line-up altogether.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/02/league-1-america-soccer-revolution-never-was

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sounds terrible. Kronum or nothing.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I like the attempt to replicate the feel of table football with the zoning rules. What a glorious mess.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A long, detailed blog post on why Villa is poo poo and dead

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Daniel Taylor is good at these things. FC United of Manchester: how the togetherness turned into disharmony
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/31/fc-united-manchester-broadhurst-park

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sweek0 posted:

Daniel Taylor is good at these things. FC United of Manchester: how the togetherness turned into disharmony
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/31/fc-united-manchester-broadhurst-park

Holy crap this club sounds absolutely awful. It's Timbers-esque.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
gently caress FC United. You've got a club already, go support them.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football....shtml#uk-fb-po

Interesting article that points out Leicester and Villa's near identical transfer policies last summer, with obviously very different results.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While I'm sure I'm about to read a cogent argument, I can't help but answer their headline of "The Kante-Gueye conundrum: How are Leicester so good and Villa so bad?" with one name: Tactics Tim

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Good article on everyone's favorite team, The Foxes:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/04/leicester_city_is_now_a_virtual_lock_to_win_the_premier_league_it_happened.html

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah it's a really great article

quote:

Invoking the Death Star may seem silly, but Leicester’s season is so lacking in precedent that the best possible comparisons are all fictional. They’re the Rebel Alliance. They’re Andy Dufresne. Imagine the Mighty Ducks triumphing over a team led by Johnny Lawrence, Ivan Drago, and Alpha Beta’s Ogre.

wrong. thread.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The stupid star wars and pop culture poo poo is mercifullly kept to a minimum here, it's not that bad of an article considering the source. Nice read.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

star wars? in my serious football articles? ugh, loving plebes

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2016/06/01/how_to_fix_the_penalty_shootout_play_it_before_extra_time.html

Proposal: Move penalty kicks to before extra time. If extra time ends in draw, the winner of the penalty kicks win the game. If extra time ends otherwise (i.e. one team leads the other), ignore the result of the penalty kicks.

The idea is with the result of the penalties already known, teams will play out extra time with a bit of gumption. At least one team will have to chase the game.

Not the worst idea, IMO.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Vegetable posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2016/06/01/how_to_fix_the_penalty_shootout_play_it_before_extra_time.html

Proposal: Move penalty kicks to before extra time. If extra time ends in draw, the winner of the penalty kicks win the game. If extra time ends otherwise (i.e. one team leads the other), ignore the result of the penalty kicks.

The idea is with the result of the penalties already known, teams will play out extra time with a bit of gumption. At least one team will have to chase the game.

Not the worst idea, IMO.

Don't like it

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A nice article about the "untrainable" Marko Arnautovic, the poor man's Zlatan

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a blog called The Regista (I know, lame) that's got some pretty good write-ups of different football stories that feature quotes from various sources, press, biographies, etc.

They're fairly short, but it's interesting to see the quotes from say, Ferguson and Keane's biographies, telling vastly different accounts of the same events.

The Evolution of Mourinho vs. Guardiola

Totti vs. Balotelli

The Breakdown of Roy Keane and Alex Ferguson

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's a story on some guy who made those socks with the dots running up the ankle that you may or may not have seen.

Pretty interesting stuff.

quote:

Later we meet up with Gareth in Wales and he says like a happy kid ‘Hey, have you seen my foot on the pause button on FIFA?’ And sure enough TruSox is there on FIFA because they want everything to be authentic. You will not find them there anymore though.

I then discover the lengths (a rival company) had gone to try and ensure he didn’t wear the socks. They had (told people) ‘If you wash these things you will lose your job’, so Gareth Bale had to take the socks home each night and wash them himself.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

where can i buy these in the uk

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

where can i buy these in the uk

ProDirect.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i want socks not sex!

Adbot