Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How is rubbery anti-slip fabric inside socks a new thing? I've been wearing them for like eight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I got a couple pair for free, they're pretty great actually. Probably not going to spend the $35 they cost to actually buy them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

How is rubbery anti-slip fabric inside socks a new thing? I've been wearing them for like eight years.

I guess these ones hold up a lot better over the course of a match. I guess they're good enough to make major apparel providers unhappy.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Daniel Agger: ‘Maybe my story will make other athletes take fewer pills’

quote:

On Roy Hodgson:

“I completely lost my desire to come to work because his training sessions were really hard to get through. Not physically but mentally. It was the same and the same and the same. Day in and day out.

“Often we had eight forwards playing against me and Martin Skrtel [apparently to let Fernando Torres score to regain his confidence]. Skrtel and I had a really hard training session as we were defending against eight with two but the eight players attacking were just faffing around. They had hardly run a kilometre and it was so uninspiring.”

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

that's an interesting article with great quotes:

Things came to a head again when, according to Agger, there was a heated conversation between him and Rodgers at half-time against Swansea City on 23 February 2014. Rodgers was criticising the two central defenders, Skrtel and Agger, for letting Wilfried Bony have too much of the ball.

“Everyone was quiet but I stood up and said: ‘How can you stand there and say that when we are only doing what you have been going on about all week.’

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Here, have some science you animals. Nigeria did nothing wrong (maybe).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dear-fifa-there-is-no-scientific-test-to-prevent-age-fraud/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_POLE_NEWS

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

This seems a bit silly as the age limit for youth football is just a proxy for physical development anyway. Rename it the FIFA Under-Stage 6 Wrist Bone Development Cup and you've solved the problem.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
maybe we could adapt into soccerese the adage if there's grass on the wicket let's play cricket

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
*in Jackie Chiles voice*

If your wrist bone's not fused, you must recuse!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

maybe we could adapt into soccerese the adage if there's grass on the wicket let's play cricket

Settle down Adam Johnson

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A nice story about Paul Pogba's early life

quote:

As treasurer, Moressee is waiting to hear the good news from the French football federation (FFF) about the training payment Roissy will receive for Pogba’s transfer to United. Under Fifa regulations, any club who develop a player at 12 or above are entitled to 0.25 per cent of his transfer fees, for each year they coach him. Paul was at Roissy from six to 13 and the club estimate they could be due as much as €400,000 for their one year.

Given that their annual budget for the 30 teams that they run is €60,000, this is enormous. Roissy will be able to buy a new minibus, kits, washing machines and subsidise trips to play away games – crucial given that few of their players have parents who are able to drive the boys to matches. The future of this marvellous little club is secure. If Ed Woodward ever shows up in Roissy-en-Brie, he will not need to pay for his own drinks.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's a story about how transfers work.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is interesting and good, ta

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ronaldo is 40 today so have an article full of links

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/sep/17/ronaldo-40-birthday-brazil-greatest-ever-striker

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
x-post from the Serie A thread:

trem_two posted:

https://twitter.com/gdnlongread/status/804253794871681024

This is worth taking the time to read. It looks at how ultras operate by examining a couple of Juve ultra groups that do ticket touting, their ties to the mafia, and how even the club is complicit in their operations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good read. Dunno if these have been up, but the Player's Tribune has some interesting stuff by athletes:

More Complicated Than Hate - Gary Neville

For Rome - Totti
(Bonus Italian version for those who can read it )

My Journey to Manchester - Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Live From Leicester Fuching City - Christian Fuchs

The Game - John Harkes recounts USA - Colombia '94

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's a piece on Mino Raiola. It's pretty interesting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Here's a piece on Mino Raiola. It's pretty interesting.

This is pretty interesting, thanks TBA

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Yeah I read that Raiola piece and then forgot to comment here, it's good

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's a really good article. Financial Times do it right.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This is pretty neat, and there are some good photos too.

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/811552283616014342

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That was a nice read :)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

That was a great article on Raiola - it's easy to see why his players end up coming to him with everything. He seems to actually give a poo poo about them.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, really was!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trem_two posted:

This is pretty neat, and there are some good photos too.

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/811552283616014342

This is great, thanks for posting it!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Another good find by TBA, the football reader

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This thread is on constant life-support, but I'm proud of the quality over quantity

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
A journeyman footballer wrote this after the Fifpro survey on the living conditions of footballers below the elite level.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The complete story of Paul Pogba and Ravel Morrison’s diverging careers

e: upon further reading, http://thesefootballtimes.co/ looks like it has quite a bit of content. Gonna read this over my lunch in a few minutes:

The making of Luis Suárez: a year in Groningen

e2: These are some spicy titles that I am going to check out this weekend:

The 1962 Asian Games: when India conquered the continent

The muddled history of Japanese footballers in the Premier League

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 30, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ronaldinho - Letter to My Younger Self

Ronaldinho posted:

Where you live in Porto Alegre, there are drugs and gangs and that kind of stuff around. It’s going to be tough, but as long as you are playing football — on the street, at the park, with your dog — you will feel safe.

Yes, I said your dog, by the way. He’s a tireless defender.

Dogs are indeed great defenders.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 18, 2017

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
this was really good, check it;

total footballer, total rebel: johan cruyff and the resurgence of catalonian pride
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/total-footballer-total-rebel-johan-cruyff-and-the-resurgence-of-catalonian-pride

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 19, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/christian-fuchs-leicester-city-champions-league/

cool article from christian fuchs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/manchester-united-is-too-unlucky-to-be-great/

You might think that Man U aren't winning anything because they suck dick, but you'd be wrong. They're just unlucky. Stats have proved it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cybernetics, Cesarean Sections and Soccer’s Most Magnificent Mind

quote:

He was not a player of any great note. He has never managed a club. Instead, Frade, 73, is that rarest of things: one of soccer’s most noteworthy theorists.

His great contribution to the sport is tactical periodization, an approach to management that is often characterized — much to his evident frustration — as a coaching style. “It is not a method,” he says, almost as soon as he sits down. “It is a methodology. You have a methodology so that you don’t need methods.” The last word is issued with disdain.

To Frade, his approach is a management philosophy, a personal dogma and a belief system rolled into one. It is a way of thinking more than a way of playing, one conceived and crafted in this office, at this university, but that can now claim devotees around the world.

Its most famous evangelist is José Mourinho, who deployed it to considerable success at Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid, and who now hopes it can revive Manchester United. But Mourinho is not alone. Most of the great Portuguese coaching diaspora carry some of Frade’s imprint: André Villas-Boas and Vítor Pereira most directly, from the time they spent at F.C. Porto, but also Monaco’s Leonardo Jardim and Hull City’s Marco Silva at one or more removes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/26/the-forgotten-story-of-carlos-kaiser-footballs-greatest-conman

quote:

Kaiser’s most famous – and most dangerous – scam occurred at Bangu, a small club in the West Zone and a place that has the distinction of hosting the first football match ever played in Brazil. In 1985, they came within a penalty shootout of winning the Campeonato Carioca, an achievement that would have registered extremely high on the Leicester Scale. At the time they were owned by Castor de Andrade, Brazil’s premier bichiero (somebody who operates an illegal gambling game), who was routinely described as the most dangerous man in Brazil and was great friends with the Fifa president João Havelange. Castor was not a man to mildly irk, never mind cross. After one match he chased a referee around the pitch, a gun flapping in his back pocket as he attempted to engage the ref in urgent discourse regarding a minor disparity in their interpretation of the laws of the game.

Castor signed Kaiser, prompting a newspaper headline: “BANGU HAS ITS KING”. That headline became famous, and not only because Kaiser showed it to everybody at every opportunity. When he arrived he had the usual injury problems. Castor loved him anyway, because of his cheek, his charisma, his chutzpah – and his apparently endless access to beautiful women. He loved Kaiser’s personality so much that he wanted to see its manifestation on the pitch. One weekend Kaiser was studiously continuing his rehab at 4am in Caligula nightclub when word reached him that Castor had sent an order for him to be on the bench the next day. Kaiser panicked before being reassured by the coach that he would stay as a non-playing substitute.

Bangu had a dreadful start to the match and were soon 2-0 down. Castor sent a message from the stands via walkie-talkie that it was time to unleash the star signing. Kaiser had two choices. He could go on as substitute, in which case he was dead; or he could refuse to go on, in which case he was dead. So he improvised a third option. While warming up, Kaiser heard an opposing fan call him a “long-haired human being” and used it as an excuse to start a brawl with the away supporters. He was sent off before getting on the pitch.

Kaiser was summoned to see Castor after the game. “God has taken both my parents away but gave me another father who they accused of being a crook,” he sniffed. “So I lost it and went for them. But don’t you worry because my contract is up in a week and I’ll be off.” Castor gave him a pay rise and a contract extension.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Decent article by Paolo Bandini on why Coverciano consistently produces good managers:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706090-inside-italys-manager-school-where-conte-ancelotti-and-allegri-learned-to-win

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This pic alone is worth a click

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lol I love the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheBigAristotle posted:

This pic alone is worth a click