Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

vyelkin posted:

This was posted in a different thread a while back, but The prison where murderers play for Manchester United is a pretty great piece about football in a Ugandan prison and it's well worth reading.
David Goldblatt is a great writer and a funny guy who is very kind. His book The Ball is Round is also a good read if a bit thick in the tooth (800 odd pages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

TheBigAristotle posted:

A nice piece on a player for whom I have nothing but man-crush feelings.

Thomas Müller: the modest assassin
The journalism here is good, Muller's backstory is cute.

I wish that people would just create a lexicon to discuss movement/intelligence rather than masturbating over the concept of space and 'arriving at just the right time' like every single football article that's been released in the past few years (including a few of mine) it's not like a spiritual or mysterious occurrence. People do the same poo poo when they talk about Ozil as though he's some loving incredible disappearing magician.

I think people are drawn to writing about football because it has an atmosphere of romanticism and mystery and they can say whatever the gently caress they want because the game hasn't been completely quantified, but it has gotten out of hand.

• Locked thread