Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This was posted in a different thread a while back, but The prison where murderers play for Manchester United is a pretty great piece about football in a Ugandan prison and it's well worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HJB posted:

In honour of the COC game between Manchester United and Ipswich, here's a fairly recent, extremely long-winded article about Craig Forrest, the keeper who somehow managed to concede sixteen goals in two games against United, nine of them from when he was an Ipswich player in 1995.

Craig Forrest is a cool dude and one of Canada's best ever players so everybody should read this article imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The articles about guys who had everything going for them and just got wrecked by injury, like Ashton and Lentili, are just sad to read. :(

Adu, on the other hand, is amazing. Reading all that stuff about how he was the best thing since sliced bread at "fourteen" years old.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Holy hell, America.

quote:

When putting together plans for his league, Paglia was approached in early 1993 by a doctor called Jay Kessler. Kessler, Paglia said, had been working on proposals for a new version of soccer that he thought would be more suited to the US sports fan. Although he had coached, played and been involved with soccer most of his professional life, Paglia admitted that he did not find the game that interesting to watch, and agreed to hear out Kessler.

“I loved it,” Paglia said. “I thought it was magnificent – and I still do. I still believe it has a place somewhere in the world.”

Over the months that followed, it was agreed that EDE would use the altered version of the game, named ProZone Soccer, for their league.

The game being proposed saw the pitch divided coloured chevrons, limiting certain players’ movements within these zones. Players would also wear different coloured shirts based on their positions to help distinguish the zones they were allowed to enter – red for defenders, blue for midfielders, yellow for forwards, white for strikers. (Defenders, diagrams showed, could only go 45 yards from the opposition’s goal but 15 yards from their own goal, for example.) In order to monitor whether a player had entered an unpermitted zone, eight officials would be present, and each player would wear an electronic signalling device that would set off a series of buzzers and lights in the high tech stadiums.

There would also be a points based system, so long-range goals would be worth more. These points ranged from one for a striker to three for a defender, and a team could earn an extra half point if their player scored between the posts of the traditional-sized goal and a new, larger outer goal that was being proposed.

This outer goal, the plans hoped, would make games more difficult for modern day goalkeepers. “When goalposts were first designed, the average English goalkeeper was 5ft 7in,” Paglia explains, “whereas today the average keeper is over 6ft tall.”

Instead of halves, games would be split into three 20-minute periods. Each team had to change some part of lineup between the first and second period; in the third period they could use a the first period’s lineup, the second period’s lineup, or a completely new line-up altogether.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/02/league-1-america-soccer-revolution-never-was

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Here's a piece on Mino Raiola. It's pretty interesting.

This is pretty interesting, thanks TBA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trem_two posted:

This is pretty neat, and there are some good photos too.

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/811552283616014342

This is great, thanks for posting it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/26/the-forgotten-story-of-carlos-kaiser-footballs-greatest-conman

quote:

Kaiser’s most famous – and most dangerous – scam occurred at Bangu, a small club in the West Zone and a place that has the distinction of hosting the first football match ever played in Brazil. In 1985, they came within a penalty shootout of winning the Campeonato Carioca, an achievement that would have registered extremely high on the Leicester Scale. At the time they were owned by Castor de Andrade, Brazil’s premier bichiero (somebody who operates an illegal gambling game), who was routinely described as the most dangerous man in Brazil and was great friends with the Fifa president João Havelange. Castor was not a man to mildly irk, never mind cross. After one match he chased a referee around the pitch, a gun flapping in his back pocket as he attempted to engage the ref in urgent discourse regarding a minor disparity in their interpretation of the laws of the game.

Castor signed Kaiser, prompting a newspaper headline: “BANGU HAS ITS KING”. That headline became famous, and not only because Kaiser showed it to everybody at every opportunity. When he arrived he had the usual injury problems. Castor loved him anyway, because of his cheek, his charisma, his chutzpah – and his apparently endless access to beautiful women. He loved Kaiser’s personality so much that he wanted to see its manifestation on the pitch. One weekend Kaiser was studiously continuing his rehab at 4am in Caligula nightclub when word reached him that Castor had sent an order for him to be on the bench the next day. Kaiser panicked before being reassured by the coach that he would stay as a non-playing substitute.

Bangu had a dreadful start to the match and were soon 2-0 down. Castor sent a message from the stands via walkie-talkie that it was time to unleash the star signing. Kaiser had two choices. He could go on as substitute, in which case he was dead; or he could refuse to go on, in which case he was dead. So he improvised a third option. While warming up, Kaiser heard an opposing fan call him a “long-haired human being” and used it as an excuse to start a brawl with the away supporters. He was sent off before getting on the pitch.

Kaiser was summoned to see Castor after the game. “God has taken both my parents away but gave me another father who they accused of being a crook,” he sniffed. “So I lost it and went for them. But don’t you worry because my contract is up in a week and I’ll be off.” Castor gave him a pay rise and a contract extension.

• Locked thread