Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
In honour of the COC game between Manchester United and Ipswich, here's a fairly recent, extremely long-winded article about Craig Forrest, the keeper who somehow managed to concede sixteen goals in two games against United, nine of them from when he was an Ipswich player in 1995.

quote:

Forrest’s final boss at Ipswich was George Burley, a manager he thinks learnt a lot at the start of his time in charge as the Blues crashed out of the Premier League.

Talking about this stage of his Town career meant the inevitable discussion of the March 1995 9-0 defeat at Manchester United with some surprising relief on the day for Forrest.

“I enjoyed working under George Burley too, obviously a legendary player at Ipswich, but when he first arrived as manager I think he learnt a lot when he was there with us.

“Going down the road I think he learnt so much and became a great manager. But when he first came to us, like the Man U 9-0, the pre-match talk was ‘They wont expect us to attack’. Well yeah, I guess they didn’t!

“But after a few years I don’t think he would get beaten 9-0 again, he just learned a lot over that period of time as anybody would.

“That game was tough, it keeps coming up especially when the day comes round. I did actually think when the game was being played that it was 10! So I was actually pretty happy they didn’t hit double figures.

“It was difficult but as a goalkeeper if you play long enough you’re going to get games like that and it’s very humbling.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The Guardian's Joy Of Six has a recent piece celebrating unglamorous football clubs. I'm a tad biased but it's a good read nonetheless. Also:

quote:

Anything more than a glance at Colchester reveals that this is a club for which you could develop an affection. Or a healthy loathing, whichever feels right.

Check the comments for plenty of the latter...

• Locked thread