Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Back in the day when you could only see these movies as lovely subbed realplayer videos, Cooler 2, Bojack, and Janemba were supposed to be the "excellent" ones.

Source: nerds circa 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

They were right about janemba

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Back in the day when you could only see these movies as lovely subbed realplayer videos, Cooler 2, Bojack, and Janemba were supposed to be the "excellent" ones.

Back when they weren't even subtitled, the more action oriented ones were the best. Cooler 1 and 2, Brolly 1, Android 13. Then, when actual subs came into play, it all moved around, and Janenba became the default best, along with 2.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Janemba owns since his fighting style is cool and he has some neat tricks.

That's all I give a poo poo about when it comes to dbz movie villains.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dbz Movie Villain Hitler was great

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

projecthalaxy posted:

Here's a list of the DBZ movies and their villains, with ripoff status as determined by me.

Dead Zone- Garlic Jr- fairly Pilafish in look, I don't know enough about DB to know if he stole a plot too.
Worlds Strongest- Dr. Wheelo- haven't seen this one
Tree Of Might- Turles- Design is of course Goku, plot is pretty basic alien invasion. Let's say Saiyan Saga 2.0
Lord Slug- Lord Slug- basically just Piccolo Daimou; yeah?
Cooler's Revenge- Cooler- Namek 2.0, acknowledged in film
Return of Cooler- Meta-Cooler- Mecha Frieza notes, basically just another Cooler movie.
Super Android 13- Androids 13-15- Similar to Cooler above, this is not trying to be anything but More Androids, plus some Cell.
Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan- Broly- Anime Hulk. Basic shonen stuff, really.
Bojack Unbound- Bojack- very Cell inspired with the tourney and SSj2 Teen Gohan
Broly: Second Coming- Broly- Sequel; this time the A-team is not around.
Bio-Broly- Bio-Broly- Bio-Broly.
Fusion Reborn- Janemba- obvious Buu influences
Wrath of the Dragon- Hirudegarn- big scary space monster.
Battle of Gods- Beerus and Whis- basic shonen "oh no he's beyond our power! Oh yeah new power!" like in every arc.
Revival of F- Golden Frieza- It's Frieza again, new Super Saiyan forms, yep.

This is off the top of my head and it's been years since I've seen most of these, so feel free to disagree. I'm not counting RoF, Cooler or the Androids as ripoffs because they are more just continuations of the main story. Garlic, Janemba, Bojack, and Turles though? Little ripoff.

To be more specific (and adding my own opinions, I guess)
-Garlic Jr.: Looks are Pilaf's, but story role (and the plot of the movie in general) is taken from Raditz. He kidnaps Gohan, Goku has to team up with Piccolo to beat him. Points for actually succeeding in using the Dragon Balls, though.
-Dr. Wheelo: No idea, I know I watched it but like hell if I can remember it. Most forgettable movie.
-Turles: The character himself is based around a simple question, "what if Goku hadn't hit his head and grew as an evil Saiyan?". It's definitely an interesting look at things if nothing else. Being an evil Saiyan, he takes cues from Vegeta.
-Lord Slug: Combination of both Piccolos, mostly father, although the growing giant stunt was done by son. Not very creative.
-Cooler: Freeza, but understandably so. Personality actually differs from Freeza's, showing actual interest in his subordinates. Shin Budokai fleshes him out quite a bit. I like him!
-Meta-Cooler: Mecha Freeza. Unlike the previous one, the movie is straight-up taken from Namek and Mecha Freeza, and is overall far more boring and unimaginative.
-Androids 13 to 15: Cell, 17 and 18. Human-like Androids, get absorbed by Cell/13 to obtain a powered up form that is stronger than a Super Saiyan. In-series, might be actual prototypes for it. 15 is great.
-Broly in general: Overused and boring, but at least unique. Video games love him for some reason. Has gone up to SS4 in Heroes, jesus.
-Bojack: An obvious take on the Cell Saga, but set after it. Bojack takes Cell's place, with Zangya as 18 (up to Krillin showing affection for her). Goku is dead, Gohan is losing, turns SS2 and wins. Uncreative, but gives us more Future Trunks, and holy poo poo he looks cool as hell in that movie.
-Bio-Broly: Takes inspiration from the early Buu Saga, showing the same important characters. Really lame movie.
-Janenba: Buu, completely. Fat form, turns into tall and slim form, forces Goku and Vegeta to fuse to win. Gogeta is cool, but Vegetto is cooler even if his clothes suck. That said, the movie itself is great and very much worth the watch.
-Beerus: An interesting take into the psyche of Toriyama's cat.
-Resurrection "F": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYWTj3ef3M

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fusion Reborn is my favorite of the older movies. It has a really good villain in Janemba, a good mix of action and comedy, Gohan sick owning Frieza, Adolf Hitler, and a really cool ending move in the Stardust Breaker.

Other ones I enjoy are Bojack, Wrath of the Dragon for the Saiyaman parts, Broly 1, and both Coolers. I'm glad RoF perfected the "oh no our actual relevant fighters are gone so let's desperately stall" thing I loved from Broly 2 because Broly 2 is not so good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr. Wheelo was actually one of the better movies and doesn't really resemble anything except taking bits and pieces from the entire series at that point. You have the Radditz part with Piccolo getting owned and someone being kidnapped, the Piccolo Sr. looking for Budokai champions, a Red Ribbon styled fight against a giant robot, and a good Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. fight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is Broly 1 worth watching?

I know some of you guys are raging Broly fanboys, but is the movie actually any good?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, but if you like watching huge mclarge beat up the dbz cast it can fill up an hour pretty decently

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I know some of you guys are raging Broly fanboys, but is the movie actually any good?

It's basically 40 minutes of SSj1 (all) Goku, Gohan, Sword Trunks, Vegeta and Kamiccolo bouncing off the Anime Hulk with some plot around it. Take from that what you will.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
World's Strongest is the best of the pre-Vegeta movies, honestly.

What was the first one he showed up in anyway, Cooler 2? Broly 1?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cooler 2

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I need to rewatch Android 13 again. The last time I saw it, it was on tape. Basically the only thing I remember is Goku getting punched in the dick and that cool arctic stage from the games.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

The fight in Brolly 1 is bad, but the movie leading up to it is ok.

If Brolly 1 was the only Brolly you ever saw, it would have actually been decent, but there were two more and then he shows up in every piece of media since. Also, it's just the Android 13 fight all over again on top of that (invincible villain beaten by bullshit Goku does after he beats everyone up), so it's not as unique as it could be.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

projecthalaxy posted:

I need to rewatch Android 13 again. The last time I saw it, it was on tape. Basically the only thing I remember is Goku getting punched in the dick and that cool arctic stage from the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8soInnWds4

I'll always remember the movie for this scene.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HD DAD posted:

they still are

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Awesome. I'll need to finally check out the dubs of those. I loved Janemba and fat Gogeta.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

please kill yourself

no

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Darko posted:

Dr. Wheelo was actually one of the better movies and doesn't really resemble anything except taking bits and pieces from the entire series at that point. You have the Radditz part with Piccolo getting owned and someone being kidnapped, the Piccolo Sr. looking for Budokai champions, a Red Ribbon styled fight against a giant robot, and a good Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. fight.

I loved the hell out of that movie. It was like 60% old school Dragonball with 40% DBZ for that spit-polished sheen. The set pieces for that flick were outstanding, definitely one of the cooler movies made from that list.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Mecha cooler is the only one I've seen that outright sucks. Brolly 2 was kinda average(Krillin was too much of a joke and it was very B team) tho I haven't seen Brolly 3 which is supposed to be even worse.

Dead zone might be my favorite cuz it's frankly the last time in the series that everyone is on somewhat even ground. Once kaioken came into the picture it all went to poo poo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
To be fair, though, as much as I love him, what was Krillin ever going to do against Brolly?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

New Leaf posted:

To be fair, though, as much as I love him, what was Krillin ever going to do against Brolly?

He could have easily beaten Broly. He just had to float into the sky and use Solar Flare.

A blinded Broly flies up in the sky, enraged and trying to kill Krillin. Krillin floats out of the way, and Broly just keeps charging through sky, and then space, and then straight into the Sun. Broly then burns alive.

Flawless victory.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

New Leaf posted:

Cut him in half with his Distructo Disk.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Also a thing about the Bojack movie: as much as it stealstouches on some notes from Cell, the villains are actually more or less parallels to the Saiyans. Powerful, ruthless space pirates/conquerors with a good degree of battle lust, hell, some even get to show off their own "Super Saiyan" equivalent. They're basically every other "evil Saiyan survivors come to Earth again!" fanfic with the names filed off.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

best part of bojack was the tourny. the rest of it was lame "one man beats all" tropes. tree of might made it work a little better cuz it wasnt over till it REALLY was

I HAVE THE POWER OF NATURE ON MY SIDE :ssj:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah p much, Bojack's a pretty bog standard DBZ movie and there's nothing in it worth really seeing it for except the opening 10 minutes of the tournament.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Cut him in half with his Distructo Disk.

Toei makes it not work on people who are too powerful, sadly, unlike the manga.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baal posted:

Yeah p much, Bojack's a pretty bog standard DBZ movie and there's nothing in it worth really seeing it for except the opening 10 minutes of the tournament.

Mr. Satan got to save the day again as well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broly has the most idiotic reason to hate goku. Even when I was a twelve year old I knew it was stupid that he hated goku because goku cried a bunch when he was a baby.

I said it last thread and I'll repeat myself now. broly is the worst.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Monaghan posted:

Broly has the most idiotic reason to hate goku. Even when I was a twelve year old I knew it was stupid that he hated goku because goku cried a bunch when he was a baby.

yeah its super lame

why is hercul mark satan so heavily the man ??

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darko posted:

Mr. Satan got to save the day again as well.

I forgot what Mark Satan did outside of being the best in the opening 10 mins of the movie

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Mecha cooler is the only one I've seen that outright sucks. Brolly 2 was kinda average(Krillin was too much of a joke and it was very B team) tho I haven't seen Brolly 3 which is supposed to be even worse.

Dead zone might be my favorite cuz it's frankly the last time in the series that everyone is on somewhat even ground. Once kaioken came into the picture it all went to poo poo.

I don't know. I just watched World's Strongest (literally minutes ago) and it handled the Kaioken pretty well by implying Goku can only use it rarely because of body strain. Had quite a few tactics in those battles and was pretty awesome. That said, the main villiains were pretty milquetoast and the exposition scenes felt forced.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

I don't know. I just watched World's Strongest (literally minutes ago) and it handled the Kaioken pretty well by implying Goku can only use it rarely because of body strain. Had quite a few tactics in those battles and was pretty awesome. That said, the main villiains were pretty milquetoast and the exposition scenes felt forced.

i meant that after nappa killed piccolo and pretty much everyone else gokus kaioken became the savoir of the series until super sayain which is just the same thing only times 50 instead of 20

like a guy could have a powerlevel of a million and another dude has one of 2 million but the first guy can multiply it by a hundred and the second guy cant so who gives ashit

e; i mean this in regards to heroes not heroes vs villains. gokus base power is higher than krillin/yamcha/tien AND he can go 50 times past that which is absurd

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2015

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Monaghan posted:

I thought it was just an aspect of his general insanity, and really just a trigger to break out of that mind control device his father had. He didn't seem to particularly care about Goku after he broke out.

Then the later movie and video games reduced Broly's vocabulary to "KAKAROT" and "AAAAUUUGHHHH", so there goes that. :eng99:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The Krillin-Goku-Rohshi Kamehameha was pretty awesome in "World's Strongest", and I think they missed an opportunity not using that as the big finisher.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I've never really understood why almost every movie has Goku win with a Spirit Bomb, since it so rarely actually worked in the series.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I've never really understood why almost every movie has Goku win with a Spirit Bomb, since it so rarely actually worked in the series.

Hell it never worked. Even against Kid Buu Goku had to get a senzu bean wish to finish him off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kild posted:

Hell it never worked. Even against Kid Buu Goku had to get a senzu bean wish to finish him off.

The Spirit Bomb did actually kill him though. When it was used on Vegeta and Frieza, it damaged them, but couldn't finish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
With the way the movies generally went, there were only two ways to end a movie. Spirit bomb, or bullshit power up. They seem to use both quite a lot. So it was probably to mix it up.

• Locked thread