Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

What I'm really saying is that Trunks should have been a robot.

Are we sure he isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Are we sure he isn't?

is the author m night?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Darko posted:

Thats literally the best episode.

A decade or so later, all Super has really proven to this point is that Vegeta slice of life is unquestionably the best thing Dragon Ball can do.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Ytlaya posted:

Hahaha, why does he grab the plane, can't he fly on his own faster than that?

How far into the cell saga is that? Is it before or after Cell has absorbed a bunch of (normal) people? Because I think Cell after absorbing thousands of people is stronger than 17 and 18, and it would be surprising for Krillin to be able to put up a fight against an opponent like that.

I don't think Cell was really trying too hard at that point. Krillin may have surprised him if his intel was outdated.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Raxivace posted:

What I'm really saying is that Trunks should have been a robot.

Hmm. Bulma saving Trunks after Gohan is killed and Trunks is barely alive, and she's certainly good enough to ape what Gero's pulled, even though he himself would hate it.

Hmm. There's possibilities there.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ruggington posted:

it's weird that kai retained so much god damned filler

Ginyu switching bodies with Bulma was pretty great imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been watching more of GT and it's really awful with letting no one other than Goku do anything of importance. Like, it's cool that Gohan and some of the others have become normal, well-adjusted people and I can understand Goku being stronger because he pretty much lives to fight, but Gohan post-Mystic should still be vastly more powerful than every other character in the series except for maybe Goku himself, yet he's portrayed as just some scrub like Goten or Trunks. Speaking of which, it seems like they just forgot that the whole Mystic Gohan thing happened in the first place, what with Gohan going regular Super Saiyan along with everyone else. Power level silliness aside, it's also just kind of boring from a narrative standpoint; like, yeah, Goku was the strongest for most of DBZ (sort of; I guess Gohan was actually the strongest non-fused character by the end of both the Cell and Buu sagas), but there were at least other enemies for other characters to fight.

All that being said, the fights themselves are kind of decent and not really much better or worse than the ones in DBZ. It's just boring to take a series with so many characters and have every single fight boil down to Goku vs. whoever.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I had a mystic Gohan toy and as far as I was concerned he was just adult Gohan but sometimes he was also Yamcha and kinda Goku. I don't blame anyone forgetting about it.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Farecoal posted:

Ginyu switching bodies with Bulma was pretty great imo

To be honest I don't even have a recollection of this part occuring in DBZ. I was really confused when I watched Kai last year.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

canoshiz posted:

To be honest I don't even have a recollection of this part occuring in DBZ. I was really confused when I watched Kai last year.

Until you (and Farecoal) mentioned it I had forgotten about it too. I always remember her convincing Frieza Soldiers that giant crab eggs were dragon balls, but forgot about her constructing the universal translator for FrogGinyu and then trying to frantically play charades with Gohan. Namek! Lotta things happening.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

So I've been watching more of GT and it's really awful with letting no one other than Goku do anything of importance. Like, it's cool that Gohan and some of the others have become normal, well-adjusted people and I can understand Goku being stronger because he pretty much lives to fight, but Gohan post-Mystic should still be vastly more powerful than every other character in the series except for maybe Goku himself, yet he's portrayed as just some scrub like Goten or Trunks. Speaking of which, it seems like they just forgot that the whole Mystic Gohan thing happened in the first place, what with Gohan going regular Super Saiyan along with everyone else. Power level silliness aside, it's also just kind of boring from a narrative standpoint; like, yeah, Goku was the strongest for most of DBZ (sort of; I guess Gohan was actually the strongest non-fused character by the end of both the Cell and Buu sagas), but there were at least other enemies for other characters to fight.

All that being said, the fights themselves are kind of decent and not really much better or worse than the ones in DBZ. It's just boring to take a series with so many characters and have every single fight boil down to Goku vs. whoever.

It's a lot like pre-Z Dragon Ball, where only (kid) Goku did anything important. In Z, they let other people outshine him or progress past him consistently, with his main character standing being more about "we'll wait for Goku to show up to save the day" thing, even though he didn't do so, most of the time.

In GT, it just followed Goku constantly and had him do almost every single thing, and was irritating for it because we had already moved past that point.

At least Toriyama's post Z material makes fun of Goku for hogging the spotlight, literally. Yo! Goku had him fighting with Vegeta over getting to do important last thing and tricking him into getting ahead of him. BoG had Vegeta complaining about Goku getting to be the first SSG, and Revival F had Vegeta complaining about Goku "stealing" the last attack on Freeza. When it's a big joke, I don't mind it as much as I do when played seriously.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This one episode he's fighting Super Android 17. So he's been shooting him with all these energy blasts and then realizes that Super 17 is apparently absorbing power from his blasts. So what does he do? Hits him with a big Kamehameha like a loving moron!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Hahaha, why does he grab the plane, can't he fly on his own faster than that?

People fly using their Ki by holding onto the plane he can hide his aura and escape undetected much more easily.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Elfgames posted:

People fly using their Ki by holding onto the plane he can hide his aura and escape undetected much more easily.

Look at the brains on this guy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

This one episode he's fighting Super Android 17. So he's been shooting him with all these energy blasts and then realizes that Super 17 is apparently absorbing power from his blasts. So what does he do? Hits him with a big Kamehameha like a loving moron!

See the blasts were blasts and the kamehameha is a waaave he shouldnt be able to absorb a wave now can he

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

its hard to discuss GT without just saying GT sucks so just step into the grand tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Darko posted:

In GT, it just followed Goku constantly and had him do almost every single thing, and was irritating for it because we had already moved past that point.

That's because GT actually means Goku Time.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darko posted:

It's a lot like pre-Z Dragon Ball, where only (kid) Goku did anything important. In Z, they let other people outshine him or progress past him consistently, with his main character standing being more about "we'll wait for Goku to show up to save the day" thing, even though he didn't do so, most of the time.

At least in Dragon Ball the rest of the crew would have something to show during tournaments. Hell, Bulma did more in DB than almost all of the GT cast.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/1

Dont think anyone posted this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

I think my favourite part was Supreme Kai being forever useless.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So I've been watching more of GT and it's really awful with letting no one other than Goku do anything of importance.

So, much like the real show

Caros
May 14, 2008

It's really weird that they aren't doing it this way in the show. Interspersing the new villains and plot while battle of the Gods stuff goes on seems like it would have been a much better way to do it since at least then people who have seen the movies have something to look forward to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm kind of surprised that Porunga was able to defuse Kibito Kai back into Kibito and Supreme Kai. Wasn't there some kind of rule against that before?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Raxivace posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Porunga was able to defuse Kibito Kai back into Kibito and Supreme Kai. Wasn't there some kind of rule against that before?

No. They just never had to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hmm, maybe I'm getting the main story confused with DBM then.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Darko posted:

At least Toriyama's post Z material makes fun of Goku for hogging the spotlight, literally. Yo! Goku had him fighting with Vegeta over getting to do important last thing and tricking him into getting ahead of him. BoG had Vegeta complaining about Goku getting to be the first SSG, and Revival F had Vegeta complaining about Goku "stealing" the last attack on Freeza. When it's a big joke, I don't mind it as much as I do when played seriously.

A thing about pre-Z Dragon Ball is that the anime actually manages to work in a more ensemble sort of role to the rest of the cast. Sure a majority of it is focused on Goku ending up saving the day, but other characters get their chance to shine and plot elements are, I'd arguably say, improved. The manga is very much "the Goku show" for a majority of the pre-Raditz arcs, but the anime manages to make it... well, less so.

Some examples: Where Eighter, Suno, and most of Jingle Village vanish in relevance after the Muscle Tower incident, they actually have some more character interaction past it in the anime, in the King Piccolo arc of all places. After King Piccolo does his whole storming of the King of Earth's castle, Suno actually tries to stop him, by picking up a rifle and trying to shoot him in the goddamn head. She doesn't do it, one of the King's soldiers draws Piccolo's attention away from her, but credit where credit is due. After that Eighter heads down and makes an attempt to try and stop King Piccolo himself, or at least tries to help the people down there in need of it. Hell, even Tien has a better showing in the King Piccolo arc of the anime; in the manga he accidentally broke the jar he was going to try to hold King Piccolo in with the Mafuba, in the anime he actually almost succeeds instead of the whole thing being rendered pointless. After this, the other characters actually get some decent time in the limelight for Krillin, Tien, and hell, Yamcha gets to save the day. Adding to this, the Dragon Ball anime ends with Goku and Chi-chi going on an adventure together, actually giving them some time to try to work as a couple.

So overall it's not like they couldn't have tried to make other characters relevant in GT, given what happened in the actual Dragon Ball adaptation, they simply didn't. They even teased at having the other characters doing something relevant, like Uub and Buu's fusion, or the shameful lies of promising this:

and never following through.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've always liked the DBH stuff like that showing SSJ3+ characters along side the player characters who aren't transformed whatsoever.. What the gently caress are you planning to do to help a Gotenks?

That said, goddamn I hope Xenoverse 2 is more like Heroes looks.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wonder if the DBS manga revealing that you can use the Dragon Balls to wish a Potara fusion undone is going to be relevant later on or if it's just an excuse to bring back the original Supreme Kai and Kibito characters.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It would certainly be an excuse to bring in Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegito down the line, if they really wanted to.

Personally I'm not sure I like what the manga did because now there's no drawback to using the Potara Earrings.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Raxivace posted:

It would certainly be an excuse to bring in Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegito down the line, if they really wanted to.

Personally I'm not sure I like what the manga did because now there's no drawback to using the Potara Earrings.

Well, it's the same drawback as getting killed, so it's about as harsh a penalty you ever see in DB.

I would be really hype for the return of Vegito though. I hope that's on the table at some point.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
Fusion is kinda dumb and fan-ficy. I hope they don't go down that road.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

give me gogetenks

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gohan and piccolo Potara fusion for maximal b-team.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cody Banks posted:

Fusion is kinda dumb and fan-ficy. I hope they don't go down that road.

actually fusion owns

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Well I mean, you can already get the fusion undone, just tell Buu to absorb you and voila.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
still waiting for canon prillin

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cellin will return in Resurrection C

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm adding stuff to the second post so any suggestions are welcome. Not too sure what the DBZ thread is good for outside of watching fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_9i-1vmR8

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
goku was actually only the strongest character in dbz for one brief period, after he went ssj vs frieza until the first androids showed up. At pretty much every other point someone was stronger except I guess the very short time btwn him coming back to life and buu being woken up

(Raditz, then vegeta, frieza, vegeta/androids, picollo, cell, gohan, buu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wonder if the DBS manga revealing that you can use the Dragon Balls to wish a Potara fusion undone is going to be relevant later on or if it's just an excuse to bring back the original Supreme Kai and Kibito characters.

Hooray for bringing them back....

Said nobody ever.

• Locked thread