Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

This is a phenomenon that seems so baffling to me as a person who doesn't know much about Japanese animation, how wouldn't it take longer for them to create an entire season of an animated series than a black and white comic? Why was there such demand to keep making episodes while the comics were being made, couldn't they just have reduced or slowed down the rate in which the tv show was being produced? If they had to have filler, why wasn't there more stuff like the Garlic Jr saga? For all its flaws the Garlic Jr thing certainly feels like a better way to handle the lag time than stretching out a five minute battle with Frieza over 10 episodes.

Ask any American television show that gets its schedule interrupted or timeslot moved how well they recover from it. A weekly series that isn't weekly will lose viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the back tingles absolutely played a role in it because, let's be honest now, that was kinda dumb and an unnecessary bit of additional explanation for something that didn't need it. and dismissing the main character is gonna get some people against you, even if it doesn't make any sense

but it is true that a segment of the audience would have disliked caulifla and kale no matter what they did. the rest is just a way for them to justify it to themselves. it's not like the back tingles affect caulifla as a character or w/e so disliking her for it is weird

It's not really an unnecessary explanation I'd say. In fact if you want to be honest about it it's an entirely necessary explanation. Super Saiyan transformations quite literally can't just be triggered by being super angry or else Goten and Trunks would make no sense and Gohan and Goku's thing about doing a Super Saiyan Without Pissy Rage Issues wouldn't either.

"How did Goten and Trunks transform if they never got their rage boners on" is conveniently and comfortably explained by "they can do it because there's an easier method that's easy to figure out once you know what Super Saiyan is."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always assumed that with Saiyans the issue was that they were a warrior race who blew through soldiers like they were tissue paper and none of them really lasted long enough to get beyond the early stages because they were all assholes who either effortlessly stomped their enemies or got super-killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

That scene in the first episode with the alien food very well implies he has some discerning taste.

It seems to imply not that Earth food is particularly good but that food everywhere else is just that bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

I'll admit, I was one of the "Japanese Goku is not my Goku!" people for a long time but for some reason Nozawa really grew on me the past 2 years, heck everyone else too. So now I can enjoy both language tracks as much as the other.

Nozawa really got a chance to shine with Goku Black and when Sean isn't bad from what little we've heard I don't think British rear end in a top hat works quite as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Spoilers from discussions of currently unaired episodes (wtf?): Why does everyone assume Krillin is about to kill someone accidentally? All I see is that he jumps to 18's rescue, "but then..." Am I missing a source somewhere?

The other summaries say he throws a destructo disc and the next episode summary says he's unexpectedly disqualified.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just want Caulifla to have a good fight.

Please just let her have a good fight.

Her name isn't Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Here's a question: if Gine wasn't part of the fighting force, why did she still wear armor? Saiyan culture may revolve around combat, but was there really no casualwear?

Considering how often Vegeta calls them a Warrior Race?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I burst out laughing the first time I saw that. To have that cheesy romantic music and streaming sunlight and then to have loving Freeza there is just amazing. It's like if at the end of Boogie Back one of those pictures was a photo of Mengele.

You mean Gero?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

If Kale, Caulifla, and Cabba get erased I will be extremely sadboy.

If they get erased then you know everyone who is erased is coming back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Here's a thing I'm not totally clear on:

Is Beerus life-bonded to Shin, or Old Kai? Does the life-bond pass with the earrings?

Shin. When Shin died in Future Trunks world so did Beerus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

Goku did 9/11

The sudden unexpected attack where two objects flew into a city and caused massive damage?

Pretty sure that was Vegeta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jedah posted:

Why didn't Goku recruit Arale for this tournament? He got two other androids, so she'd seem like a natural person to include. And Vegeta understands her nearly unlimited gag-manga powers. She's an expert at knocking people into the distance with her patented Arale kick and headbutt.

She could solo an entire team, probably.

Arale uses a bunch of gadgets/props/poop on a stick for her comedy gag powers and thus would be disqualified.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

People have been of the opinion that Trunks and Goten got it easy because their fathers had achieved it before they were conceived - saiyabiology and all that. In this case the new SSJs weren't able to use this sort of genetic nepotism to give themselves the shortcut. I mean I think that's just headcannon anyway, as to my knowledge nothing about how Trunks and Goten got it so easily was ever stated officially.

That doesn't make sense anyway because Trunks was conceived before Vegeta became a Super Saiyan,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

I'm glad we spent time on Krillin's development so he could get suddenly ringed out at the end of the third episode as a way to create forced tension. Nice.

This but unironically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

extra row of teeth posted:

I still think Krillin is Yamcha-ier just because his primary roles are to be 1) the lowest tier of Z-Fighter jobber and 2) the male damsel in distress who only gets significant airtime to lose/die dramatically and set Goku off (this arc being the exception, of course). Tien is also in the lowest tier of jobber, but he just doesn't give off that helpless vibe Yamcha and Krillin do when they're outmatched. Speaking of jobbers, Z-fighter B team's turtle-up strategy has been boring so far and I hope that Piccolo gets to break away and do something cool besides be Gohan's meatshield.

Regarding the next episode I wouldn't be surprised if one of the U6 Saiyans gets a U7 Saiyan ringout next episode...Kale destroys Vegeta maybe? With the way Vegeta has been basically jacking himself off by calling himself "sama" he's practically begging to have a humiliating defeat. As he does.

Vegeta isn't going to get ringed out before he gets a big focus. He's too popular for it.

(Plus "Vegeta is basically jacking himself off" is 70% of vegeta's screentime.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurora posted:

Future 19 never comes up and probably never existed

Trunks explicitly doesn't recognize Android 19 so if he existed he wasn't anything significant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nalin posted:

Trunks was also literally a baby at that time.

Yeah but he knew about a bunch of stuff because his mom taught him. Presumably if Android 19 had actually shown up she'd have at least gone over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how much of these random assholes are going to get into games in the future. When dudes like Apool appear multiple games does that means Random Flying Furry rear end in a top hat #74 will someday too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bee posted:

At least one member of the Trio de Dangers (probably Bergamo, if his gimmick is workable), Ribrianne, Toppo, and Jiren seem like shoe-ins for future games.

Oh yeah, no, I fully expect us to get anyone who fights a main character significantly without any real question. Kale and Broly are probably going to have a million what-if fighting scenarios.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I love the way in the first two Dragonball series everyone is always flipping each other off like they're angry 13 year olds.

To be fair most of them either are literally angry 13 year olds or in Vegeta's case emotionally and mentally an angry 13 year old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Because "Tien overpowering Semi Perfect Cell" only actually amounted to pushing Cell into a hole. Cell wasn't even hurt by it, just annoyed. Then Tien passed out, Cell got out of the hole, and would've iced Triclops if Goku didn't go in for the save.

Tien does not have any real accomplishments after Dragon Ball.

He outlasted Krillin in the Tournament of Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mostly because the tournament seems to have forgotten that he's there.

Are you insulting the Nether Gundam tactic?

• Locked thread