Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is the dude who was so weak he had to potara fuse with his bodyguard to be any sort of credible help to the Z-fighters and even then was too weak even to try jobbing to Buu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Should have brought Cell back instead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Goku should teach Piccolo the Kaioken. It'd probably go really well with Namekian regeneration.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Goku/Freeza scene sold me on him replacing Buu. I was hoping we'd get to see all of Buu's OP abilities put to the test against the best in the multiverse, but Freeza is a way more interesting character and his inclusion adds a lot of extra tension to the tournament. The scene establishes that erasure might not be such a bad outcome for Freeza, it'd end his time in hell and would also kill off his enemies.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I am pretty confident Garlic Jr. will not be in this fighting game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm rewatching Super via the dub, and I'm going to put forward a controversial opinion: Beerus is the real villain responsible for all the multiverses being in mortal danger. We can blame Goku's boredom directly leading to the multiverse tournament but it was Beerus' own boredom and desperation for a legitimate challenge that put Goku in that position in the first place. If it wasn't for Beerus seeking out the Super Saiyan God, Goku would never have met Zeno, Zamasu never would have ruined Trunks' future, and... okay Freeza probably would have blown the Earth up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Bulma is the real villain. Without her selfish quest for the Dragonballs Goku would have lived his life in peace as an odd forest hermit, never to stir up lord Beerus in the first place.
No way dude. By finding Goku and recruiting him Bulma saved the world several times over and arguably saved he universe too. Someone else tracking the Dragon Balls would have eventually discovered Goku and tricked him out of his Dragon Ball, whether it be the Red Ribbon Army getting the jump on an untrained Goku or simply Pilaf and his gang finessing him out of it. Say Pilaf tricks him out of the Four Star Ball and gets his wish for world domination, then gets deposed by the Red Ribbon Army; he could end up finding and releasing Piccolo without Goku needing to be involved at all.

All that would be irrelevant anyway when Raditz showed up and cleaned what was left, either recruiting Goku or murdering him outright. Maybe Raditz doesn't find out about the Dragon Balls before killing Piccolo but supposing he does (or even if he finds out but gets his rear end killed by an immortal Piccolo), Vegeta and Nappa also find out, and possibly Freeza on top of them. Vegeta and Nappa already know about Namekians and could conceivably put together that they could go to Namek to make a wish. So either you have immortal Vegeta or immortal Freeza who go on to control the universe with an unchallenged iron fist.

If it wasn't for Goku getting involved specifically in Bulma's adventure, and not in Pilaf's, there'd be absolutely nobody to prevent all of that happening. Yes, Goku's existence later puts the Earth in jeopardy when Freeza returns for revenge, or when the Androids and Cell are created, but if he'd stayed in the woods the Earth would have been pretty hosed anyway. (And if he had never been sent to Earth, Freeza would have eventually sent someone there to clean it up.)

Beerus on the other hand could have let Goku stay a farmer. Freeza coming back would still have been a problem but between Buu and Gogeta they might have figured out a way to handle Golden Freeza. Worst case things just go back to the status quo, Freeza blows up the Earth and returns to his business as before. The multiverse would still be safe, Trunks' future would still be safe.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

notaspy posted:

I am worried that freiza is going to mess up u7 in the tournament, and not on purpose.

Ok, bare with me. All his moves are kill moves, he is going to struggle to hold back. Goku has plenty of moves that end with his opponent defeated but not dead. He has even used the kamahama to knock people out.

Let's compare freiza with Hit. Hit has disabling moves that don't kill but freiza is all about the kill.

He's going to go in, kill someone, get erased by Xeno and leave the u7 boys one down from the start. Anyone who watches football (the proper version) knows how much of a disadvantage that can be.

Real shame too, as new freiza is like vegeta without the attitude problem. That is, way beyond Goku in every way.

Freeza spent four months training how to bring Tagoma to near the brink of death without killing him, so as to best prolong Goku's suffering later. He definitely knows how to disable someone without killing them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Depends on where you get hit. You can get shot plenty of places and still survive.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Maybe Frost just needed to train 4 months too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My dream scenario for the tournament is Piccolo going "actually I learned this decades ago from King Kai" and busting out the Kaioken. Don't let me down Super.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can't believe there's someone in this thread seriously suggesting that math is more important than Dragon Ball.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was sort of expecting the erasure twist to be "Zenos erased all the universes!!! ...from their ipad tournament tracker. Actually everyone is fine."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Power levels clearly do matter though? They inform almost every fight in Z from Raditz to Buu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

:chloe:

They inform the fights up through Frieza. You could argue that they still matter a bit in Cell, except that at that point the power creep is so insane that you're getting into "everybody here is stronger than Goku was when he turned SSJ on Namek, even Tenshinhan, with the possible exception of Yamcha".

They go out the window completely the second 4 year-old Goten and Trunks turn Super Saiyan with minimal effort, even though The Serpent, Toriyama muddies the waters again during the tournament when Babidi's goons are measuring peoples' auras with that meter.

The Cell Saga is literally Power Levels The Saga to a greater degree than anything else in the series besides the Freeza fight. The whole saga is the Saiyans and Piccolo and Cell trying to boost themselves into more and more powerful states so that they can compete.

Even the Buu saga is all about power levels right up until Goku's spirit bomb.

Power levels as expressed by numbers stops being a factor yes but power levels as an underlying plot mechanic is present all the way through Z.

• Locked thread