Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

with the exception of a few things (goku being a dick and not bringing videl the senzu bean and the way they throw gohan under the bus at the eleventh hour after all that build up to his awakening), the buu saga is pretty much perfect for what it is imo

like I called goku's decision making over not killing buu into question earlier, but it makes sense in the context of the series tbh. and besides which, I agree with his logic that some dead dude shouldn't be the one cleaning up every mess. same with how old kai being annoyed at the overuse of the dragon balls made sense, and I'm glad he was there to bring it up even tho everyone ignored him and were probably totally right to do so

I think buu's regeneration makes way more sense than cell's, too. like cell just has that thing in his head that lets him regenerate, even tho his head gets blown up at least twice before he dies for real, and none of the people he had dna from could do that. buu, on the other hand, is literally magic. I like the cell and android saga tho, and I always appreciated how it wasn't goku beating the big bad at the end of the day there since they'd been building up to gohan being the strongest since like radditz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they can regenerate limbs

they can't regenerate half of their body getting blown off, or being vaporized. cell specifically says why he can do this (the little whatever it is in his head). the explanation for why he can regenerate the way he does is why it doesn't make sense, really. like if he just said "I have namekian regeneration but it's better because I'm perfect" then yeah ok I'll buy that, but he says it's the thing in his head... which he loses twice before gohan kills him no for real this time. it even shows his regeneration organ getting atomized when he dies to show he's dead for good now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea if namekians had cell's regeneration, piccolo sr. and the namekians that die on namek would never have died

Pureauthor posted:

Gohan's fate was sealed the instant he chose his next powerup to be achieved via sitting on his rear end for a day.

That is no way to cap off a story.

mystic gohan was cooler than ssj3, and mystic gohan was literally just gohan

gotenks kinda pull it off because they're a doofy little kid with silly kid moves, but goku looks like a massive dork in no eyebrows mode

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh and I recall in Kai that it's explicitly stated by Piccolo in his fight with 20 that all the Z-Warriors can hilariously spike their power levels when they need to, which definitely implies that they all figured out Kaioken.

nah that's, like, raditz era "they can hide their power" stuff

it caught both the saiyans and the frieza henchmen off guard that they could hide their power without a transformation

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't gohan have some signature move as a kid that he forgot post frieza?

I wanna say it's called masenko or something, and I could swear he uses it more than once

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the question was "what techniques get used more than once" so that's irrelevant

unless you mean it's not his signature move because he didn't come up with it, in which case I guess goku doesn't have one at all since everything he does is learned from someone else

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

It didn't even kill Buu.

It made him reincarnate as a good person.

That's the exact opposite of death.

The Spirit Bomb is such a lovely power that it has literally negative one deaths

do you not understand how reincarnation works or what

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

Fine- it has absolutely Zero kills in canon.

Because it literally undoes the singular death it deals.

It's the most self defeating attack in history.

the spirit bomb doesn't bring anyone back to life, what are you talking about

like I don't understand how you even came to this conclusion, but it's wrong

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku says himself that he asks for buu to be brought back to life as a good person at the end of dbz

that's why it happens. where you get the idea that him getting atomized by the spirit bomb caused him to be brought back to life is beyond me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what would ssj3 raditz look like

would his hair get so long it wraps around

would he just be a yellow hairball

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

frieza killed vegeta with a finger laser and when he came back to life he became a good guy

coincidence?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea bulma is useful from the very beginning of dragon ball and stays so for pretty much the duration of the series, but she's not a fighter

18 was the first girl that can fight since, what, chichi's one fight in the third tournament? she's probably stronger than any of the non saiyans but piccolo and she still doesn't get to fight after beating the poo poo out of vegeta that one time. tho really I'd put that down more to "is not a saiyan" than "is a girl" since the power creep has always left everyone but goku, vegeta, and their kids in the dust

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

was pan useful in gt? I watched like three episodes, tops

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked goten and his interactions with kid trunks. they were fun and their fight in the kid's tournament was good

but yea goten is pretty much useless outside of being half of gotenks, who is also useless outside of stalling buu for a while :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

18 vs goten and trunks is in the manga as well

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goten mentions it the first time he goes super saiyan in front of gohan. apparently chichi was training him and he went super saiyan because she was kicking his rear end. she told him not to do it again

that might be anime filler tho, I don't remember

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

New Leaf posted:

This comes up a lot.. He spars with Chi-Chi and happens to go Super Saiyan, but I honestly don't think that was intended to be viewed as the first time. I think he and Trunks figured it out together since Trunks knew how to do it in the chamber with Vegeta.

isn't it brought up specifically in reference to gohan asking goten when he learned how to go super saiyan though? I feel like dbz heavily implies that that was the first time or else the scene is pointless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Augus posted:

Since we're kinda sorta talking about FF7: why the gently caress is it the most popular RPG ever and yet nobody can seem to properly remember the actual personalities people had?

well, most people that talk about it played the game once in like 1998 and then never again so what do you expect

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when's the last time piccolo won a fight?

unless you're including the garlick jr filler arc (I can't remember anything about that at all), all I can think of is raditz (and goku technically) and some saibamen. I guess you might count imperfect cell or android 20 running away as a win

if you think about it that way, gohan is following uncle piccolo's example way better than goku's

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Maybe this version of Goten is from a world where Vegeta never got revived, so Goten never got to grow up with his best friend.

time patrol trunks is just future trunks with a new jacket, so it'd be the other way around

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it doesn't matter, the buu saga we have is fine unless you just really hate gohan's high school hijinks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

isn't filler yamcha stronger than cell

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's rude of him to hit on trunks' girlfriend like that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it really sucks to be krillin in the dbz movies

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only if it's a movie where he is not married to Android 18.

at least two of those have broly in it, so idk man

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ff9 is the closest I ever got to actually completing a final fantasy game

unless you count tactics, the true best final fantasy game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is 8 the one where one of your summons is a train

also I liked the wrist mounted dog launcher

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I look forward to gohan getting chumped as a super saiyan god to show how powerful the new big bad is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan would probably be better with whis, yea, but I actually really like the concept of having him train with piccolo again. piccolo was his first teacher, after all

also clearly he just shifted all of that latent fighting potential into graduating high school, college, getting married, having a kid, and becoming an apparently successful scholar within like six months

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

I refuse to believe.

I have had my heart broken so many times by you Gohan.

if we're being honest, both gohan and piccolo will get left in the dust for goku and vegeta at the end of the day. hopefully they both get to be actually cool and useful again tho; that's all I ask

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Squallege posted:

If Piccolo's good enough to be in the tournament surely he can do something with Gohan

piccolo's spot in the tournament just seems like a matter of not having better options, honestly. who that they didn't already ask is stronger than piccolo besides gohan, who was ruled out for being a nerd?

piccolo's cool and all but he hasn't been a relevant fighter since cell absorbed 17

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan will forget how to go super saiyan at all, causing him and piccolo to go visit king kai and learn kaioken so that it can finally be relevant again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

having the main character not succeed at the end of every arc is nice, so goku having actual, meaningful loses in dragon ball was cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Raditz overpowers Goku and the only reason he wins is because of Piccolo, it also costs him his life.
Vegeta completely destroys Goku, even taking his final blow and surviving. He wins the fight only because Yajirobe, Gohan and to a lesser extent Krillin are there.
Despite Cell seeing Goku as his only actual challenge, all of his training proves worthless because Cell easily regenerates all the damage Goku causes him, and Goku ends up dying to stop Cell from self-destructing - and Cell still lives.
Beerus is on a completely different level from Goku, their first fight is absolutely one-sided and the second is only slightly better, with Goku's newest power up proving completely worthless. Even by the next movie, Beerus is still much stronger.
Talking about said next movie, Golden Freeza proves much stronger than SSB Goku, and then Goku is nearly-killed by his own idiocy.

If there's something I can't call Goku, it is successful. And that's not even counting how he makes every wrong choice he can in the Buu Saga like it was some VN and Goku was searching for every possible bad ending.

beerus is in super, goku throws in the towel because he had planned all along to have gohan fight cell, and he objectively wins against raditz and vegeta. he doesn't have to be the strongest, or even survive, to win the fight

the closest thing to a loss he has in dbz is when ginyu steals his body, though he wins in the end. in dragon ball actual arcs of the plot will end with goku not achieving his goal and losing to someone else. this does not happen post piccolo jr until battle of gods

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he could totally have lost to buu and it would have been fine if the story hadn't decided gohan was incompetent

also goku did lose in those situations in dragon ball. the last time he loses a straight up fight is to piccolo sr, unless you count raditz hitting him once as a fight. ginyu tricks him, he has a heart attack while fighting android 19, and he lets gohan fight cell in dbz. in db, not including tournaments, he straight up loses to taopaipai, one of piccolo's demons, and piccolo himself off the top of my head. it's just nice having him lose a fight so that it means something when he wins later, as opposed to the buu saga where he could totally have just killed buu right from the start but chose not to

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they totally win against raditz and vegeta. it doesn't matter if he dies or gets beat up or whatever because this is dragon ball and death is cheap; they won and that's all there is to it. frieza is similar to vegeta's fight and he absolutely wins that even if bad poo poo happened before he did

the difference in dbz over dragon ball is that it's always a team effort instead of just one guy, but a win's a win

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the culminator posted:

Yeah, counting Tao and Piccolo Sr. As losses even though he beats them in the end (by himsel) and not counting Vegeta, Raditz and Cell as losses is kinda weird.

You could definitely throw that accusation at the movies though. Wrath of the Dragon im looking at you.

tao and piccolo are separate fights where he loses, trains, then wins. vegeta is one long fight where victory is just removing vegeta from the earth as opposed to goku beating him in a match; raditz is a sucker punch but I can understand counting it as a loss, but goku dying later does not matter because killing raditz without gohan getting killed were the only win conditions in that fight; his entire plan from the beginning with cell is to only fight him long enough for gohan to see how to beat him. gohan beating cell is goku winning that fight since that was his whole plan from the getgo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty weird to argue that it counts as a win if someone else finishes the fight for him because by that logic everyone beat Piccolo Sr because Goku eventually beat him.

it's not tho because it's not a tournament and the world is on the line. goku, gohan, krillin, and yajirobi beat vegeta because vegeta would have won if any of them hadn't been there. it doesn't matter if goku can't win the 1v1 because losing means everyone dies. nobody but goku had anything to do with piccolo sr going down

edit: I notice I have a habit of belaboring the point, so I'll just stop now before I make this worse than it needs to be :v: if you think goku loses those fights, that's cool too. we can agree to disagree

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 18, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

was it a thing outside of gt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Didn't the Bardock special have a Planet Vegeta from centuries past, and the inhabitants weren't the Tuffles? I thought they retconned them out of existence.

Also, the odds of Vegito/Gogeta fusion are looking better and better now. I want to believe, drat it.

give me a game where you have infinite potara earrings, allowing you to fuse every single character into one person

• Locked thread