Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

Guys, an important question jumped into my head today that could forever change the history of Dragonball.

Master Roshi is a virgin.

Think about it. He's obsessed with women way out of his league, he has poor oral hygene, he's got a scruffy beard, we've never seen him land a girlfriend.. Roshi is a neckbeard virgin.

Have you seen how buff that man is tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think it's easier to list people that DIDN'T try to kill Goku at some moment in their lives.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

Or the "everything a significant amount of people has ever liked" effect that you should really stop caring about

Overhyped is "anything people REALLY like that I either only kinda like or actually dislike". Occasionally you get Spore or something like that tho.

How are they gonna handle the anime/manga divide, actually? Should we expect ridiculous amounts of filler very soon?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My biggest issue with DBS is the coloring, but I bet they're swamping broke-rear end illustrators with that on top of animation under an impossible schedule. Some people use the "but look at how much money it makes" counter-argument when it comes to bad animation in these series, but it's really not a problem that could be solved just by throwing cash at it - it's just not how production works.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Piccolo/Frost is a pretty cool little fight, yeah. Who'd have thunk a tournament arc was what Dragon Ball needed?

And now Vegeta gets his wish of smashing (not!)Freeza's face in. I wouldn't have minded if Piccolo got another fight tho, he was doing all his old poo poo against Frost.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

A good twist makes you mad.

Biggest heel turn since Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kelp Plankton posted:

Frost has been a lot of fun, especially considering he's not even going to be the main event in this tournament. It's been a good little arc-within-an-arc and anything that lets Vegeta get screentime without Goku interfering in his fights is good stuff. Hell, we even got some good Piccolo moments out of this and he hasn't done anything for a long time.

Yeah Frost should be cool in future games, he's got multiple forms and his poison stuff. Now he just needs some crazy ki move and we're set

He had his Holy Nova BS, I suppose. Maybe we'll see something else during the Vegeta fight.

I like Frost because he made people ITT mad after they got got, and he's a new type of scumbag for the series - not evil for the sake of evil like every other DB villain. Piccolo had a cool fight and would've won if it weren't for poison BS anyway.

Mordaedil posted:

A twist is not a twist when it is played straight. A good Freeza would have been a twist on expectations, because up until the tournament we assumed all of universe 6 was going to be full of rear end in a top hat and hello, there it is.

It was not played straight, they gave you Perfect Being Freeza at first, and then turned it around on its head after you ate the bait. It's a double twist.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also it was cool that they remembered how Chichi is supposed to be a badass in human terms, look at them Wuxia jumps.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blaze Dragon posted:

That is literally Freeza though. He wasn't evil for the sake of being evil, he sold planets and kept an empire, he was by all means motivated by money and power. Which is, guess what, Frost's exact personality.

Freeza was never trying to look good though. He was a conqueror, he ruled through force and was outright evil-for-the-sake-of-evil plenty of times. His empire was more about him showing off his power than being savvy at business. Meanwhile, Frost goes out of his way to not be implied on the wars he starts, then poses as their great savior while selling out the land for the sake of power. At least from what we know, he isn't one to make great shows of cruelty because he can. Freeza ganks his own troops after they ressurect him.

Freeza is the Roman Empire. Frost...well, Frost is modern-age America.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Friezes was evil for the sake of evil, hell most DB antagonist are, let's be real.

All*

Goku fought Nazis, a Demon King, Space Hitler, Evil Android Made By Nazis, Eviler Demon King and The Literal Embodiment of Destruction, and somehow the last one is the more nuanced out of the list.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Tien was an antagonist at some point and he wasn't really evil for evil's sake.

I mean, it's been a LONG time since I read Dragonball, but wasn't Tien more of a henchman to Tao Pai Pai (and that guy was pretty cartoon-evil).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, Piccolo enters the fight being expected to lose, almost wins but gets beaten by the same attack that defeated GOKU. I get why it's disappointing but he didn't get Worfed this time so eh.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 6, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They're gonna call a sub after Purple Namekian beats Monaka and TENSHINHAN THE STRONGEST HUMAN will save us all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

he has a dangalang

and he can stretch it too

Dragon Balls can do some poo poo, man.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Piccolo was just the assist character, it's point Goku anchor Vegeta all the way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, now we know we're getting some runover from previous fights into the other chapters. Also lol Frost got squashed twice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

Some things need to remain unattainable. Gurren Lagaan's power creep by the end was fun, but I don't want Dragonball to end up the same way. The DBS Beerus fight became perilously close to breaking that wall.

Edit: RELEVANT http://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-fans-must-always-wonder-why-spain-1766795518

Like you stupid Americans can talk about dumb names. "Special Beam Cannon", hunf.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

I didn't vote for it. Besides, I prefer Kienzan to Destructo Disk, but both have their charms. Destructo Disk definitely sounds like a name that an English-speaking Krillin would have come up with because it sounded cool.

I'll give you that Taiyoken was kinda confusing as a 8-year-old when there was also this other established technique with a very similar name, so Solar Flare is also a fine translated name.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like how devalued the Dragon Balls became, from "the reason for the series' existence" to "relevant plot device" and finally "a bingo prize".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Piccolo just had a fight were not only did he hold his own, but he was winning.

Also dragon ball the side characters weren't that much more relevant.

Sure, but that was only possible because of the tournament limitations and Frost trying to keep his facade. One of the reasons I kinda dig this arc, it reels back the power level BS since it's supposed to be an old-school tournament. Piccolo got to outsmart Frost, and Frost got to defeat Goku.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really, Frosts facade is how he won, not what was holding him back.

Two things: one, he was trying to maintain the good guy appearance and have a fair fight with Piccolo instead of outright rushing him down full-force (like Vegeta did to him). Two, if it weren't for the facade he would've just poisoned Piccolo from the get-go. Dude was trying for a legit win until he got outsmarted.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Buu Saga was silly, there were FOUR distinct power ups that didn't solve anything, then Goku did a Spirit Bomb.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

projecthalaxy posted:

SS3, Fusion, and Ultimate/Mystic? Or are you counting Potara and the dance as separate?

Counting Potara and dance as separate things, yeah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Aww, twice I expected one thing to happen and I got another: When Vegeta asked about touching the barrier, I expected him to blow it up and make a shard land on Magetta, therefore winning on a technicality. I also thought he would get the Royal Rumble "both feet have to touch the ground" pass on his almost elimination. Magetta was a powerful jobber tho, I like the stupid robot.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Finally Vegeta uses his best weapon.

140% proof arrogance?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mycot posted:

Beerus's actor is also a super minor thug in Breaking Bad.

I saw he did Cygnus Hyoga on Saint Seiya and I'm very sad it's not Surfer Hyoga.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This episode was good.
I loved the Kaioken.

It'll probably be a red herring, I suppose, but the next ep preview does a good job of making me think that Hit might actually win. I do kind of want him to though.

I'd be pretty happy if that became the DBS "thing": gently caress you Saiyan, you lose. Probably not happening tho.

Super Kaioken made me so giddy I had to message my brother about the historical moment, and then he hit me back with "oh but that already happened", the fuckin' rear end in a top hat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Aurora posted:

You all are acting like Hit is some special weirdo when Frieza was already like this.

That's why Frieza was even able to outmatch SSJ Blue, because he actually trained for once.

I didn't watch the anime version of Ressurection F', but it'd be funny if the reason why Goku returned to the Kaioken was seeing Golden Freeza. "Man, he's burning himself out for a power boost, what a dummy...oh, didn't I use to have a technique like that? Should look into it again."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Enourmo posted:

hit is a loving bro and i hope he becomes the new enemy-turned-ally for Super

Poor Piccolo, upstaged at every single opportunity.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think we're guaranteed to get more Cabba and Hit, maybe the occasional Magetta/Monaka cameo here or there. Fat Bear and Frost...nah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got the PT-BR sub hookups in here, I can find those before English subs more often than not.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

the culminator posted:

Same for spanish subs. Discovered a few weeks ago that they come out like 2 hours after the episode airs and never looked back.

I actually watched the previous episode with Spanish subs, I saw the guys sharing the screencaps, decided to look for it online and could only find subs in Spanish. Ah, Latin America and its obsession with Dragon Ball.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The rules thing was Goku acknowleding that Hit was fighting with a handicap (his background is assassination, not combat sports) and because he was Goku, wanting the guy to be able to go all-out - regardless of how dead he'd be at the end of it all. Then when Beerus and Champa started arguing, he realized he wasn't gonna get his perfect fight and as a gently caress you, just DQed himself. He was in bad shape because of the Super Kaioken anyway and thought Monaka was a legit fighter.

Then Hit realized Monaka was Mr. Satan and since he's actually chill made sure to throw the match - also as a "gently caress you" to the Gods of Destruction.

By the way, this makes it two arcs out of three where Goku doesn't "win" his big fight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, Goku said that he wouldn't get hit again and while Goku is dumb I don't think he'd actively commit suicide so I'm pretty sure he thought he had an actual chance. It was only once it became clear that Beerus wasn't gonna budge that he went "hey, we can fight again outside of here" and ringed himself out.

Oh, he didn't think he was gonna lose, but he knew he was at the end of his strength. He just didn't care if Hit actually murdered him if it made the fight better, because he's Goku.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, Vegeta did more to win the tournament for Universe 7 than Goku did.

Goku loses TWICE in this arc!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

All longer anime I watch has endless filler in them which is the big reason I really stopped watching moat. Like they skip out on every series super isn't new you just notice it more. Watch an episode at 2x speed and laugh at how much you notice how much time they spend standing and talking compared to actual animation.

Doing one episode a week forever with no breaks is a very, very bad idea.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This episode was pretty dope. Beerus isn't all rear end in a top hat all the time. :3:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So he still has two forms remaining is what you're saying.

Well, this is Dragon Ball...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm not being hurt by DBS, it's treating me quite well after the movie arcs. :colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Look, much like DB fans I don't expect DBS to look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

no it wouldn't

if everyone is glowing the same color its kind of lame

due to human biology kaioken glows pink

and then tenshinhan turns out to be an alien so he glows...hmm...indigo

• Locked thread