Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

It would be doubly rough because the original probably "successor" has the same voice actor. They'd have to do a time skip and have it be Pan and Bra's Excellent Adventure That's Not GT.

I'd do a lot of things for that but sacrificing Granny Goku is a step too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad next episode will be centered around my favorite character, Fat Birdman.

Gotta wonder though how many more universes will get erased before the rest decide that hey, maybe we should do something about this. Preferably before Caulifla or Gowasu's GodTube account get erased.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Jedah posted:

:yeah:

She called Vegeta handsome. I hope she didn't actually get erased.

It's cool, she went to a nice farm upstate with the rest of her universe.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

If they get erased then you know everyone who is erased is coming back.

I dunno, I feel if there was any point to the Future Trunks arc it's there's no backsies to Zeno just erasing universes.

Except traveling back in time I guess so it's up to Bulma to save the day again.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is dragon ball, idk what you're expecting when someone dies here

unless they're from future trunks' universe or a bad guy, they'll be fine. even bad guys are up in the air; freeza's come back after everyone thought they were done with him like 3 times now

They keep making a big deal about how being erased means there's not even enough left of you to go the afterlife, it does kinda feel like something explicitly written to avoid the whole "death means nothing" pitfall of Dragon Ball. Of course this being Dragon Ball maybe Super Shenron can undo even that but they definitely want us to believe erasure is pretty final.

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Wasn't it said in an earlier ep that transforming back and forth between SSB wastes a ton of energy or something? (it's why Vegeta lost to Hit instantly)

That's how the manga handled it, in the anime I guess the idea is that it's just maintaining SSB that drains energy quickly.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Here's a thing I'm not totally clear on:

Is Beerus life-bonded to Shin, or Old Kai? Does the life-bond pass with the earrings?

Pretty sure in the Future Trunks timeline Beerus died when Shin did, so I guess it gets transferred.

Also means Beerus' plan to just seal his Kaioshin in a sword to be safe from accidental deaths or whatever never worked in the first place.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

He never had that plan, for all we know, it's more likely that Beerus sealed Old Kai because they had a disagreement but Beerus couldn't kill him without killing himself.

Yeah I guess my first mistake was assuming Beerus is capable of forward-thinking.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Super anime is also like a fanfic, but it's like my fanfic and therefore good and not bad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

you'd think u7 would be ranked pretty highly if it were just "how many evil people are running around" since goku killed all the bad guys after the bad guys wiped out 90% of the universe. who's even left to be a dick at this point? the remnants of freeza's empire just recently died on earth and there are less that 30 inhabited planets in the entire universe

if you think about it, u7 is a post apocalyptic setting a thousand times over. even earth blew up a couple times

Goku killed two bad guys. It seems like U7 is still full of space criminals, it's just that the rest aren't on Freeza's or Buu's level.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Black August posted:

I understand that the manga sucks but I like it anyways just to see an alternate take on the Super timeline, and who might end up being the 10 in the Tournament of Power compared to the show.

I'm gonna imagine the U7 roster was one of the things Toriyama provided, but we'll probably get 60-ish different characters for the other universes.

khwarezm posted:

Funny how the audience seems so different in the rest of the world.

Is it? I thought we all grew up watching Dragon Ball as kids here.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

DBZ really seemed like something I shouldn't be watching when I was a kid, but I don't think many kids in America or Europe would be watching Super would they? Isn't it on late on Adult Swim normally?

I keep hearing how the US basically got DBZ first and the original series is basically an afterthought so I guess I can see why. In Germany at least we got the original series first and that kinda cements it as a kids' show more than anything in my memory.

Also the age of TV channels just taking some random Japanese cartoons and just dubbing them over quick-and-dirty to put them in the children's time slot is over, so the only people outside Japan who're gonna watch Super are the ones who watched Dragon Ball as a child, so it's no wonder it's mostly adults talking about it over here.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

You know some really weird people

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a fairly wide-spread opinion. Lots of people grew up with Dragon Ball as kids and lots of people consider anime the worst thing, there's gonna be some overlap there.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

I dunno; it just feels way more rushed than any other SSJ moment. Trunks and Goten at least have the excuse of being blood descendants of super saiyans, who potentially could have seen the form a few times before (although, as you say, we don't know that for sure).

With the U6 Saiyans, it just feels like the writers wanted to just give them SSJ to serve the plot, not to serve their own characters. Hopefully we learn more about them, and it'll feel less like that.

It was rushed, but that's because super saiyan 1 and 2 basically don't matter anymore. All three (four counting Future Trunks) major saiyan characters transcended those forms one way or another. Getting a free ticket to super saiyan 2 just means you're on par with Piccolo now, and he would possibly still win with detachable hand beams or whatever.

I still wanna see Caulifla pull out Blue out of nowhere but until she does who really cares if she gets a couple outdated forms.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I always believed in my boys Botamo and Magetta.

Kild posted:

The only thing I don't like is they hyped up the solar flare but the only guy he used it on before getting knocked out is blind

That's exactly why it didn't work, though. In Dragon Ball, and especially in tournaments, moves at their most effective if you pull them out of your rear end that very second, while any technique that more than five seconds of screen time before the tournament is easily defeated.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Three: They're there, but really really small.

That's been my theory, yeah. The winner is determined by the amount of people left standing at the end of the tournament and U4's gonna have two left standing by default.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Power levels are a fluid concept and at any point one person can reach or even overtake another. Goku's Kaioken also doesn't necessarily mean he's stronger than Vegeta when Vegeta knows all the flaws of the technique and that he just has to rope-a-dope Goku for a while to come out on top.

Also whenever someone overtakes Vegeta he'll just train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and then blow it up in a hissy fit to close the gap anyway.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

it's definitely an interesting idea but I still don't buy the Grand Priest being evil, and the Gods of Destruction of the exempt universes seemed to take Goku's side more then anything; they were noting it was a bit silly of the other universes to all team up on Universe 7 when if it wasn't for him they'd all already be dead anyway.

It's also easy for the four exempt universes to view things in a more calm manner when they haven't been in a frenzy for the last 40 hours due to their impending demise.

Also it's hard to guess at whatever the Grand Priest's motives are at this point, but the Zenos are idiot children who don't understand the gravity of their actions. The Grand Priest is repeatedly shown as the decision maker behind the two and is fully aware of the scope of his actions. I somewhat doubt he's gonna be the eventual antagonist of the tournament but I'd be legitimately surprised if he doesn't end up as a major villain before Super is over.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

this will be the way out for Universes 6, 7, 11 and (hopefully) 2

Look at this guy who wishes death on my man Gowasu.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Momomo posted:

Of all the things to keep, they decide that's the most important? Why is this arc doomed to have such a terrible ending.

Because that was part of Toriyama's cliffnotes? It's right below "- joke about Goku having never kissed Chichi".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cell came back from blowing himself up into a tiny chunk, so if anything Tien did as good a job at killing Cell as Cell did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

A large part of power levels mattering is also because of antagonists becoming increasingly resilient more than anything. Freeza's deal initially was just being leagues ahead in terms of power but he shrugged off being cut in half like it's no thing. Then we got androids who never tire so you either win in the first thirty seconds or lose a war of attrition, Cell who can survive as long as a speck of him is left and Buu being able to shrug off anything short of complete and total annihilation. Zamasu arguably is taking this to its logical conclusion of just being so impervious to anything that just getting even huger power levels isn't going to change things so all that's left in is bringing a baby to toss him out instead.

Obviously power levels are a thing, but they're not the most important thing so long as your opponents can shrug off the planet exploding. Hell if we know what Hit's power level is but there's a case to be made it's lower than Vegeta Blue's but since Vegeta is just a normal flesh-and-blood person Hit can just punch him in the heart until he drops, while that woudn't work as well on, say, Buu.

It also kinda goes the other way with opponents like Botamo and Magetta who have the resilience of DBZ villains but not the fire power, so they wouldn't be universe-ending threats but could beat Vegeta anyway.

What I'm saying is the invincible Bota Magetta will win this tournament and save the day.

• Locked thread