Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

Head Chala is better than Rock the Dragon

Some Numbers posted:

Seriouspost, wouldn't Rock the Dragon have predated Faulconer, since it was used back when the Ocean Group was doing the voices?

The Faulconer pieces we (I?) associate with DBZ don't start showing up until after Funimation took over the dubbing.

Also, this:

the old fogeys section of the forum is thataway, nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah and each of those times after Cell he ends up being completely useless for them. He's like Bulma in that his contributions are huge but have nothing to do with fighting. If they end up going the DB Online route (was that supposed to be canon? I forget) then Gohan helped the world to the point that everyone can fight off these universe ending bad guys.

If Goten and Trunks weren't dumb kids, Super Buu would've been a greasy smear on a boulder.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Going through the God ritual might've given Vegeta some slight God abilities of his own. Not enough to become a Super Saiyan God or fight with God Ki, but enough to somewhat sense Goku and Beerus' own God Ki, hence how he follows it. That said, this is also speculation, Vegeta might just have insanely good eyesight and be able to see space, who knows.

Having slight God Ki after the ritual despite the fact that it should only affect Goku would give a good reason for Whis training him later, as well as being able to become a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, since that went unexplained in Resurrection "F", where he just had God Ki randomly.

I mean, it barely took them 5 minutes to get Goku to have god Ki and since they were already all grouped together at the party anyways

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I think my biggest problem with the Cell thing is that he wasn't any more intimidating than Frieza, and Gohan didn't hold back then - plus he'd had a lot more combat experience by the time they got to Cell. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Gohan didn't think he could possibly kill Frieza.

He knew he could kill Cell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

I drove a crappy Volvo station wagon in high school. If Piccolo had been my dad, I would have gotten a Dodge.

you motherfucker

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Power levels are bullshit.

I bet the DBZ wikis were probably frantically when the movies stated the power level and they had to re write everything :v:

Right up until a voice actor said it was 13 trillion

Which honestly sounds like a completely believable number at this point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So that more or less locks it as Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, Whis, and ????

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly I was expecting the ending of Resurrection F to really suck but in practice it worked okay. Vegeta still got to be rad, he just needed Goku's help. That's kind of a running theme of the movie- they're both strong on their own, but they need each other to be unstoppable.

Vegeta being the brains of that outfit is honestly a little terrifying

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

He needed Goku's help because otherwise the world gets blown up is insanely stupid and for a running theme it sure only has any real meaning at one part of the movie since Vegeta's effectively sidelined and Goku doesn't actually need his help nor vice-versa to beat Freeza.

The point was because of their individual flaws, they both hosed up at critical points, just in different ways.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

I know what the point was, it's just poorly handled is what I'm saying. Both of them had the villain dead to rights and the only reason anything went poorly is because of stupid contrived laser ring and Freeza ragequitting, which are terrible ways to show they hosed up at all because both are not within their power to stop unless they were supposed to gangbang him from the start and then there's no movie.

Goku could've stopped the ring by not being a laid back dumbass and killing Frieza quicker and Vegeta could've avoided the planet blowing up by not being too slow about how he did it and killing Frieza quicker.

It's got nothing to do with gangbanging and everything to do with when you've got the loving shot take the loving shot

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

The new dbza is really cool and good

I didn't think it was very good, they're trying way too hard to be smart, and to callback to earlier gags instead of just being independently funny.

The Goku punch was amazing though, everything about that gag was hilarious

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Can't really blame Chi-Chi that much when she has seemingly no source of income, and her husband pretty much refuses to get an actual job.

Not like she's working either, at least Goku saves the world every 2 years on average

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

I dunno, the funny stuff that is a reference is still funny even if you don't get the references. So long as you have some knowledge of Dragonball before hand.

Like The Androids number count being wrong again, Piccolo save me. Etc etc

That's just it, I watch it with friends who don't necessarily catch every episode and know a whole lot about Dragon Ball, so those jokes get a whole lot more awkward when I'm the only one finding them funny.

E: honestly "Piccolo save me" wasn't particularly funny

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

All we know is that the original writer intended to have it be Virus, an evil entity that would make the Saiyans evil and stuff. So maybe.

Dragon Ball Evolution did a lot of bad things, but making it so Toriyama came back to the franchise kinda vindicates it. The unsung tragic hero of the franchise.

Please explain

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darko posted:

Seriously, if Freeza meets Kid Trunks, it will make all of this worth it.

Do you really want Kid Trunks to get the poo poo beat out of him or something

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Caros posted:

I think the reasoning is that it'd be funny to see freeza's reaction to the fact that he was apparently killed by a time traveller.

Freeza would drop any pretense of being affable and murder Trunks before Vegeta and Goku had any time to know what the hell was going on if he shows up where Freeza is before they get back.

Goten and Trunks didn't show up where Freeza is in the movie because there's just not many ways to write around Freeza seeing both of them and killing them in a bloodrage. Especially Trunks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ruggington posted:

toriyama is an old man and a fool because he should have kept videl's pigtails around for longer

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm glad that his chumpness is now canon and acknowledged in universe, I think it's good.

E: also I'm not sure, Is the tournament being held on Earth 6? If not, a good cover would be leaving Gohan as a home guard against any non-cosmic threats that crop up during.

Actually it's poo poo just like Super

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bobjr posted:

Watch Buu get disqualified right before his match, only for Mr. Satan to have to take his place.

That would actually be pretty boring.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want the last guy to be Beerus wearing a pair of sunglasses and in a black and white martial arts outfit

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah, if this is awful then how the hell did you watch any of the original show

by being 10 years old

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

cool and we'll developed female characters are not very Dragon Ball sorry

Krillin had that girlfriend that one time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

They shouldn't

I'm going to care and you can't stop me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mogomra posted:

Goku is cool, but is he really as cool as Cool Trunks or Piccolo? Let's be real, people.

No but they also wouldn't be as cool if they were the protagonist and we saw the goofy poo poo they got up to all the time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

We don't watch DBZ for people to not punch things, we want to see them punching things dammit!
Any character in your punching series that isn't punching things, or talking about punching things, or teaching people how to punch things, or holding back until the right moment to punch things because they're just that good at punching things, is a wasted character!

This, this is a shonen fight manga, if you're not throwing good punches at least some of the time you basically don't matter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bulma never threw a punch and she matters, sometimes.

She'd matter more if she Kamehameha-ed Frieza while they were on Namek

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I meant the other one, looked it up and turns out every was dead then though. In any case being a hero is still very risky business and I don't think it's terrible writing that Gohan more or less walks away from it

He can come back from death literally any time he wants, he's got connections (with green alien men)

It's more risky if he can't stop whichever galactic destroyer du jour is smart enough to decide their first stop should be to kill the green alien men before going after Earth when that happens.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

Shouldn't Gohan be strong so he can protect his family from crazy aliens?
Can't have his daddy with godlike powers bail him out forever you know.

Honestly at this point he probably could

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

He didn't give enough of a poo poo the first time his wife died

or apparently the second.

or that one time a steroid freak was beating her to death in front of thousands.

gohan is a loving rear end in a top hat and a coward

Pan's not even 1 yet and she's already died once because he couldn't do gently caress all about it, you'd think that would get him back to the gym

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, basically Satan's not a bad fighter he's just not a multiverse-class one. I'm pretty sure he could beat Yamcha even without ki, honestly.

If Yamcha never flew or shot a ki blast and had both arms tied, sure, maybe

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Gohan getting clowned is always allowed and indeed advisable. You have to have Gohan get clowned to show that it's not Saiyan blood that makes you top-tier, but the contents of your will.

In that case I want them to write Gohan to not be a complete piece of poo poo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's a disconnect between Manga and anime that really causes some confusions. Same thing with how other world is handled.

It does make an interesting question: if people must actively block, why didn't someone kill Frieza in his sleep?

Why do you think he actually had Dodoria and Zarbon around?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I don't know the movies have him threatening to blow up earth if they don't give him good food and threatens to kill goku if he keeps speaking to him disrespectfully. He's always been a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

He threatens but he'll also never follow through on it with the earthlings

He and Whis did kind of save the planet in the last one (albeit for good food).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

It looks fine you babies

It's bad

Super bad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Super hasn't even completed one arc if you take out the movies, so it's a little early to judge which is has higher highs.

I'm not taking out 1/4 of the entire planned series and you can't stop me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gildiss posted:

But Japan will sink into the ocean if any character related to Goku doesn't have her voice.

I'm willing to accept this consequence

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are actively saying its worse tho

It is really, really bad for a series that should know how long it's going to be

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mogomra posted:

It's stupid, but I really want to see their take on Golden Majin Cyan Great Ape God Baby Vegeta.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I really really want to see their take on Broly.

You'll see it this year, it takes place before the Cell games and they're doing these in chronological order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea bulma is useful from the very beginning of dragon ball and stays so for pretty much the duration of the series, but she's not a fighter

18 was the first girl that can fight since, what, chichi's one fight in the third tournament? she's probably stronger than any of the non saiyans but piccolo and she still doesn't get to fight after beating the poo poo out of vegeta that one time. tho really I'd put that down more to "is not a saiyan" than "is a girl" since the power creep has always left everyone but goku, vegeta, and their kids in the dust

This and Gohan being a worthless shitter are both entirely resolved by Pan springing from his head fully formed and the child Videl's carrying being some chump who won't get any fight time

• Locked thread