Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Darko posted:

I like the Super Beerus/God fight better than the movie version. It even has some stuff we've never seen before, like Goku smashing the giant energy ball.

Yeah. This episode was actually fairly fun to watch, even the small differences of how the two interact in the fight proving interesting. The techniques shown were also cool, if much in contrast to the film's more... simplistic, but highly skilful combat. Beerus' footballs of doom were awesome.

Its also really interesting to contrast against this episode against the latest manga chapter, since the fight there hews closer to the film (even outright recreating a few scenes), yet is also more concerned with the series' own plot. Speaking of: Beerus being the god of destruction for universe six, rather than seven, is... interesting, to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Momomo posted:

Yeah and each of those times after Cell he ends up being completely useless for them. He's like Bulma in that his contributions are huge but have nothing to do with fighting. If they end up going the DB Online route (was that supposed to be canon? I forget) then Gohan helped the world to the point that everyone can fight off these universe ending bad guys.

It was until Toei decided 'actually lets try this movie thing, see how it goes', and now its kinda up in the air, with elements from it in Xenoverse but not clear on how they relate if at all. The big strike against it is that Japan is the primary audience for Dragonball, but Online never even reached their shores before the project was axed. And when they're putting out new material that's directly feeding that audience, I doubt anyone is doubt concerned with leaving room for a relatively obscure MMO.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...You know, much as I liked the god transformation sequence, this episode just got... weird, about their abilities and the implications thereof. The film treated them as just being even incredibly more powerful (and skilled) than was already established for DBZ. The manga treated has treated it pretty much the same.

But now the show is saying that if they aren't clearly focused on matching each other blow for blow, then god level fighters can accidentally destroy the entire universe in just a couple blows with their fists? And what the heck was the dragon aura thing all about? Because they look like they got even more powerful after doing it, so... god ki automatically turns into dragons when you power up?

Also please don't let next episode's title mean they're gonna give him super saiyan god super saiyan already.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Esroc posted:

They seem to keep forgetting the "can't sense God ki" angle. Dende could sense it from the get go and the other z-fighters are all following what's going on just fine and even comment that they sense how strong Goku has gotten since attaining God ki. They've mentioned that it's not supposed to be able to be sensed, but then in the same episode someone will make a comment about how huge Beerus' or Goku's ki is.

In other words it's Toei, in true Toei fashion, not bothering to be consistent.

Dende makes sense at least, in that he's also a god, vague and nebulous as that is in dragonball. Though I guess on the anime's side of things, 'nullifying the enemy's energy' is going to have become more of a thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I realise the preview has already spoiled the end of the joke, but I do like the idea of Goku trying to train with Krillin next episode. Anything that touches on the blind hope he'll somehow be relevant again.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Huh, so the manga's skipping ahead so that'll have time to get a lead on the anime. Interesting.

Feels a bit weird that the whole Dragonball issue is being glossed over, but I guess that was done as foreshadowing to hook readers? Also Super Saiyan Blue is a much easier name to parse - can we use it from now on?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

If the planet Earth exists in universe 6, does this mean there might also be a planet Vegeta? Unless it also got blown up, but Champa looks pretty lazy.

Since the idea is that, as 'paired' Earths, 6 and 7 are closer reflections of each other, I'd probably lean on got blown up and the twist is that Goku actually made good on the whole 'kill all the humans, sell the planet for profit' idea.

I would be legit be surprised if they actually did something creative with this.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, they're definitely trying to make Krillin's return to fighting a thing, which seemed like might be the case back when Beerus showed up. I wonder if they'll actually come up with some kind of strength boost to go with it, or if they'll stick with the movie's version.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Wuxi posted:

Yamcha jobbed literally everywhere besides his very first fight.

Krillin vs Piccolo Jr. is still my favourite fight though, so I have high hopes for this tournament (especially if it actually features Krillin :swoon:)

...new secret wish: Whis trained everybody but Goku and Vegeta in secret, bribed by inordinate amounts of Earrh food.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Baal posted:

Idk you could do a lot with Broly being a giant crybaby about Goku being one as a literal baby

Another angle would be to deliberately play against the typical characterisation of Broly (though I realise that's more of an early TFS thing than a present TFS style). Ie, rather than him being a near-mindless monstrosity on powering up, he ends up a Freudian-style philosopher, which would naturally allow for a lot of self-examination about his relationship with his father, the obsession over Goku due to childhood 'trauma'. Then culminating with him still trying to solve his problems by blowing up everything that breathes.

Honestly though, the TFS movie I'm really waiting on is Bojack Unbound. That's probably got the most to work with, both from the movie itself but also what they've established in the abridged series so far.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

They probably couldn't get him back for whatever reason, and just had Masako do a couple lines for Adult Gohan.

...Are we sure that's Masako? I mean, good on him if he's got the range but... That didn't sound like him to me.

Edit: In fact I'd swear that's the guy they use for Cloud in FF7MA - Justin Briner.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...Is it just me, or did this episode have kind of a vaguely classic Dragonball feel? They actually used some of the dynamic between Goku and Bulma.

Though yeah, whilst I get the anime has had this idea about the gag surrounding Chi-Chi... I'm not sure on how far she's taking it. Like, has she just given up on Goten entirely?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Tae posted:

Bad time to build up his brain when the ending result is him giving a senzu bean to Cell

Alternatively, perfect time. He almost manages to make it to the end of the season without doing something completely dumb.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a great game to play through using an emulator with some kind of speed-up mode, makes the grinding and endless fighting animations a lot more bearable. Probably not the best DBZ game around but it's still one of my favorites, I always wondered what an RPG spanning the entire Z series would look like.

The biggest hurdle there would be on how to handle cast progression. Either you'd just flat out ignore the original story beyond new characters appearing, have a lot of filler to let you use them but omit them at appropriate events, or give players specific characters to play with at specific times, instead of the more traditional complete cast build up (which stops working after the saiyan saga). Maybe something where you consistently play as Goku and/or Gohan, but with differing, pre-built support characters for various events.

The really curious aspect would be on how you balance characters to be reflective of the power gaps later on in the series. If series accurate, humans would start dragging at the saiyans and be utterly left behind by Cell (with Tien's Kiko-gently caress Yourself as an event), and Piccolo unable to keep up at the end of the Cell saga but still viable as a support character. Not being series accurate would be more fun (because honestly, top level Krillin vs Buu), but runs into the issue of how a dev might make the saiyans even more broken so as to encourage their usage and keeping to canon.

Online and Xenoverse at least have the excuse of explicitly loving around with the timeline.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cozz posted:

I believe Ginyu-Frog and Frog-Ginyu were both brought to earth with that wish.

To be a bit more specific, this happened in the anime as a bit of filler, I think. They got surprising mileage out of that frog.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So... chapter 6 of Super is out.

Holy poo poo they retconned the dragonballs again. And yes, they vetoed Gohan out of competing on the grounds that he's become a bookworm, though the Goku says it makes it seem like he doesn't think Gohan has the right attitude to be able to train and catch up. Piccolo unfortunately doesn't seem like he'll be part of it (instead, he gets to realise some insight on why Goku and Vegeta have their respective wives), Buu's in, and Champa's confirmed that he does have saiyans available to him. Beerus claims that the fifth fighter will be the strongest opponent he's ever faced. So there's unless there's some secret twist involved, we might actually be getting a new character. At the very least there's likely to be this 'Zunou' fellow, at the possible expense of this turning into GT 2.0.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

They're meeting at a predetermined location to punch each other, not really a trek.

At least, not yet.

Well, the thing is, they're gonna be exploring... somewhere, for the seventh super dragon ball. Admittedly I think its a little vague on whether its in universe 7 or universe 6 - since right now they don't really have a means of hopping across to the other universe (unless they figured Whis would take them after winning the tournament), but they explicitly highlight the idea that universe 7 should have its own set, rather than it being like, one set across the whole multiverse.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Taking bets on Robo actually being powered armour for someone that's tiny and/or cute inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...am I the only one who sees Winnie the Buuh there as a grown up version of Marumaro from Blue Dragon? Maybe its the red.

• Locked thread