Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Clear proof that Krillin is the strongest human. He can injure Super Saiyans with mere rocks!

Suck it Tien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

now that i think about it the ending to rof is even more bullshit than previously though. frieza loving earned that win its hosed up and anti-ethical to the shonen spirit of effort and victory

Frieza didn't earn it because he didn't actually put in the effort to master his transformation.

Dragon Ball has pretty consistently been critical of the idea that transformations alone are enough to guarantee victory.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

setafd posted:

but then, how old were Goku and Chi Chi when they had Gohan

About 20 according to some random wiki.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

-Fish- posted:

So after rewatching today's episode and the preview of next week's ep I'm wondering if next week's ep is Gohan following around Goku in the suspicion that he's having an affair with Bulma

Also that magnificent goddamn baby bird needs to be a recurring character. More of Vegeta's chickenbaby.

Isn't there actually some wacko conspiracy theory about Goku having an affair with Bulma or something in DBZ?

I vaguely remember hearing rumors about that, but not much more.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of hope SSB is the last new Super Saiyan transformation we see for a long while. Maybe even ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

No way in hell. Toei will want more Super Saiyan forms, so then Bandai can make toys and stuff them into every new game, and sooner or later Heroes will give them to everyone.

There's always more transformations. Always.

I can dream, man. I can dream.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We need Turtle beyond God imo.

Make it happen Toriyama! Please!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A new Dragon Ball movie is apparently coming!

http://en.yibada.com/articles/79719/20151030/new-dragon-ball-movie-is-coming-as-a-part-of-the-trilogy-tadayoshi-yamamuro-confirmed.htm

EDIT: Other parts of the internet seem to say this is more of a rumor than a confirmation, but let's pay attention for more news about this for now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 30, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I never really noticed before, but Gohan sure is super skinny now in Super.

New episode is really good though. And it looks like the anime will finally introduce Champa next week.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well of course Chi-Chi forgot about Goten. He was erased from the timeline.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm reading through the manga finally, and I have a question about a particular set of lines.

Are Bulma and Krillin directly talking about General Blue being gay in the original Japanese? I have to wonder if Krillin's line in this translation is some attempt to cover up the, uh, fairly homophobic depiction of Blue as a character.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

This movie at least finally delivered on referencing the very best abridged DBZ series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwj91-uHDa8

FUN FACT: The guy that voices Kami in DBZA is actually the dude that did WeeklyTubeShow back in the day.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tao is so good that he basically redeems the entire Red Ribbon arc.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 6, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Android 8 is one of the better things in the Red Ribbon arc, but a lot of it is still pretty tedious to get through even in the manga. Muscle Tower just goes on and on, and then the Blue stuff just goes on and on even longer. The Tao stuff is great, but the final assault on the base is pretty anti-climatic except for Black's betrayal of Red.

The anime sort of had the right idea by creating filler of guys like Silver actually terrorizing people, but they still never were a threat to a Goku really until Blue (And even then he's still not too much of one, he just kind of refuses to die or do anything of any lasting consequence really).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 6, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished that Legend of the Super Saiyan game people have mentioned before here. It's seriously pretty cool, especially for an early SNES JRPG.

What I find really interesting is how in a lot of ways it seems like a precursor to Chrono Trigger in terms of narrative progression. I liked how the changes you could make to the storyline were the result of actual god damned choices/accomplishments of the player in gameplay, and not just conversation trees* or anything like that. The easiest example to point to is saving Tien, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu- it revolves around making sure they just plain don't die during the Saiyan Saga battles. If you do save them, you can even take them to Namek for fun adventures, giving you some more options for a decent chunk of that part of the game.

Though that brings me to the other thing I liked about this game a lot, which is that the characters are balanced around how strong they are, more or less, in the show. While you can continue to level up Tien and co. if you save them, it's not like you'll be suddenly lolmurdering everything in your path. Frieza is still vastly stronger than anyone in your party when you first encounter him for real, so you have to play relatively smart if you didn't abuse any of the game's notorious glitches to get stronger (Personally I only did some zenkai boosting with Goku in the Raditz battle, and that didn't even make too much of a difference in the long run since you don't actually use him very often).

As much I loved the story in Xenoverse, I would be absolutely THRILLED if for Xenoverse 2 they looked back at this and tried to build upon it. As it stands now, Legend of the Super Saiyan is like a blueprint for my dream Dragon Ball game. It's got some rough patches (I got lost several times just trying to roam the world map), but this game has a lot of cool ideas.

*Notable exception being the decision to have Piccolo do a fusion with Dende of all characters, as well as minor characters Maima and Tsumuri that you probably forgot even existed like I did.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hmph, Piccolo.

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a great game to play through using an emulator with some kind of speed-up mode, makes the grinding and endless fighting animations a lot more bearable. Probably not the best DBZ game around but it's still one of my favorites, I always wondered what an RPG spanning the entire Z series would look like.

Yeah, it would be cool to see how Cell or Buu could translate into game mechanics while still also being relatively true to their proportional strength in the show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DBSuper Chat: So with with Champa and Vados officially in the anime now, do we think the Resurrection F plotline will play out any differently than in the movie?

I generally think that Resurrection F's story has more to gain from being expanded upon than the story of Battle of Gods did, and Champa and Vados hunting for Dragon Balls as they did in the manga would give us some substantially "new" material to watch at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly Krillin, 18, and Marron should all go together. Krillin and 18 can be a husband and wife space cop cool person team together, and Marron can be a cool space cop person in training and learn to save the universe. Jaco will be there too and will occasionally train Marron personally.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agoat posted:

Why did you do this

It's a really terrible pun. Foul you might say.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm into the DBZ portion of the manga now, and uh...what the hell was Viz thinking with this translation?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Okay now they're just throwing dialogue from Edward G. Robinson movies onto Piccolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK0mjeIky0Y

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Petiso posted:

That translation sure is something :psyduck:

How did he speak during the 23rd world tournament?

He just spoke in clear English in the 23rd World Tournament.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey now, children were murdered in the King Piccolo saga too- Krillin and Chiaotzu. What Z added was the murder of completely defenseless children.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Chaotzu a kid? Is he even human? I'm a huge DB nerd for all of my life but I never got him.

Most people forget he even exists it seems given that Yamcha is always rated the weakest Z fighter when Chaotzu is standing - er, floating - right over there.

He's short and can't count. He's a kid in my eyes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't Shenron only grant two wishes in the movie as well?

Not that it really matters of course, but still.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like all millennials, Dende just doesn't take his job seriously. He was probably texting on his phone or something instead of watching out for space terrorists. He let this happen.

#DendeGate2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Isn't that supposed to be Mr. Popo's job?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

visceril posted:

Frieza training might involve character development.

Clearly the fans aren't interested in that they want to see Gohan get owned

-Toei

Well to be fair Toei is actually better at character development sometimes than Toriyama was. Just compare to their rendition of the Gohan in the early Saiyan saga to Toriyama's original manga. It's actually kind of shocking how much of a non-character Gohan was originally, before anime filler could actually characterize him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Instead of fighting they should team up for goofy adventures and occasionally even learn some lessons about life IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Krillin just gives no fucks. Tell him he doesn't have a nose, and he'll grown one. Tell him he can't marry a killer android that murdered him in an alternate timeline, and he has a child with her. Tell him that he's bald, and he grows hair.

He's an inspiration to us all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of Kanzenshuu, did anyone listen to their latest podcast? It was basically a straight hour of :smug: and how they're so much better at reporting news than other people, in regards to that rumor about a new movie that ended up being not true.

I find them and that site really frustrating because they're incredibly knowledgeable about Dragon Ball and the history of the franchise, and yet at the same time they come off as kind of elitist about Dragon Ball of all things.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Given that they reported on the spanish site being wrong and the spanish site doubled down and got defensive I think they're entitled to be smug about it

And it's fine to call them out for that crap, but talking for like an hour about it seemed like overkill by quite a margin to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Piccolo and Mr. Buu are an entirely welcome surprise. This whole thing really does feel like the Fortune Teller Baba pseudo-Tournament again, which is great.

Puar should be fighter again just for the hell of it! How many people even remember that Puar has fought battles before lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Buu trains for a whole two hours and then is on Golden Frieza's level.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So an interesting new detail has come out for DBSuper Chapter 6. Apparently Vados and Champa are going to gather some saiyans from their universe for their team.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really wonder what the source of these alternate saiyans will be, or rather why they still exist in this other universe.

My best prediction is going to be that Universe 6 never had a Frieza since 1) Every single new bit of Dragon Ball animation (As well as the Jaco manga) since the 2008 special has been about Frieza in some capacity already, 2) A lack of Frieza could explain why a Planet Vegeta still exists in Universe 6, if it still does and that's why saiyans are around still there, and 3) If Planet Vegeta is never destroyed, Goku getting sent to Earth as a child is unlikely, meaning that he won't be around to save Earth from destroying itself through whatever means.

This level of reasoning is possible for Raxivace! What do you think everybody? This is all probably going to totally wrong, but it's fun to speculate.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 20, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dr.acula posted:

Where are you reading this?

From a translation of the dialogue in chapter 6. Spoiler, obviously: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30467&p=1015671#p1015671.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm really liking the direction the RoF arc of Super is taking. Animation seems fairly consistent now.

I liked Krillin's scenes a lot too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well, he did get killed when Kid Buu blew up the Earth too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

he had a bigger role in the original draft

Any word on if Super is closer to this original draft of RoF?

• Locked thread