Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ruggington posted:

tien's wife isn't even hot

Needs some sun, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

Cool Gohan should fuse with cool Trunks and kill the androids and buu. Lame Gohan and lame Trunks would trip on his own tail.

So Cell saga Gohan and Kid Trunks that dates Mai? They're around the same height so that may work.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Back in the day when you could only see these movies as lovely subbed realplayer videos, Cooler 2, Bojack, and Janemba were supposed to be the "excellent" ones.

Source: nerds circa 2000.

Back when they weren't even subtitled, the more action oriented ones were the best. Cooler 1 and 2, Brolly 1, Android 13. Then, when actual subs came into play, it all moved around, and Janenba became the default best, along with 2.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr. Wheelo was actually one of the better movies and doesn't really resemble anything except taking bits and pieces from the entire series at that point. You have the Radditz part with Piccolo getting owned and someone being kidnapped, the Piccolo Sr. looking for Budokai champions, a Red Ribbon styled fight against a giant robot, and a good Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. fight.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Is Broly 1 worth watching?

I know some of you guys are raging Broly fanboys, but is the movie actually any good?

The fight in Brolly 1 is bad, but the movie leading up to it is ok.

If Brolly 1 was the only Brolly you ever saw, it would have actually been decent, but there were two more and then he shows up in every piece of media since. Also, it's just the Android 13 fight all over again on top of that (invincible villain beaten by bullshit Goku does after he beats everyone up), so it's not as unique as it could be.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Cut him in half with his Distructo Disk.

Toei makes it not work on people who are too powerful, sadly, unlike the manga.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baal posted:

Yeah p much, Bojack's a pretty bog standard DBZ movie and there's nothing in it worth really seeing it for except the opening 10 minutes of the tournament.

Mr. Satan got to save the day again as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, in the fansub/import days, it was one billion times more easy to get the movies that the show. Us late Gen Xers often got the movies and only bits and pieces of the show, as opposed to the next generation that got the show then sporadic releases of the movies. However, we created a lot of the older sites that helped paved the way to how the Internet saw the series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like the Super Beerus/God fight better than the movie version. It even has some stuff we've never seen before, like Goku smashing the giant energy ball.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

It's unfortunately over really quickly.

The fan art it came with is really ugly too

Can we report this for being NMS or something. Goddamn that's creepy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

So I never watched GT and decided to watch a random episode. In this episode Vegeta shaves his moustache (because his daughter told him it made him look like a geek) and gets really upset when no one else notices the change. Pretty funny, tbqh.

Thats literally the best episode.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

So I've been watching more of GT and it's really awful with letting no one other than Goku do anything of importance. Like, it's cool that Gohan and some of the others have become normal, well-adjusted people and I can understand Goku being stronger because he pretty much lives to fight, but Gohan post-Mystic should still be vastly more powerful than every other character in the series except for maybe Goku himself, yet he's portrayed as just some scrub like Goten or Trunks. Speaking of which, it seems like they just forgot that the whole Mystic Gohan thing happened in the first place, what with Gohan going regular Super Saiyan along with everyone else. Power level silliness aside, it's also just kind of boring from a narrative standpoint; like, yeah, Goku was the strongest for most of DBZ (sort of; I guess Gohan was actually the strongest non-fused character by the end of both the Cell and Buu sagas), but there were at least other enemies for other characters to fight.

All that being said, the fights themselves are kind of decent and not really much better or worse than the ones in DBZ. It's just boring to take a series with so many characters and have every single fight boil down to Goku vs. whoever.

It's a lot like pre-Z Dragon Ball, where only (kid) Goku did anything important. In Z, they let other people outshine him or progress past him consistently, with his main character standing being more about "we'll wait for Goku to show up to save the day" thing, even though he didn't do so, most of the time.

In GT, it just followed Goku constantly and had him do almost every single thing, and was irritating for it because we had already moved past that point.

At least Toriyama's post Z material makes fun of Goku for hogging the spotlight, literally. Yo! Goku had him fighting with Vegeta over getting to do important last thing and tricking him into getting ahead of him. BoG had Vegeta complaining about Goku getting to be the first SSG, and Revival F had Vegeta complaining about Goku "stealing" the last attack on Freeza. When it's a big joke, I don't mind it as much as I do when played seriously.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

did goku really have to figure out how to punch beerus without destroying the universe this week?

Yep. Get ready for the Internet to explode with an all new round of power level/who beats who debates.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aurain posted:

We saw that shockwave turn a planet to actual dust and he's 50% responsible for that. It if can disintegrate one planet, who's to say he didn't just melt like 50 planets while trying to save Earth?

Bye bye, New Namek.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I love the last tournament arc because it basically says "gently caress repetitive over-dramatic tournament bullshit that everyone wants, everyone just has a good time fighting each other, and some low range guy wins it in the end because seeding matters."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

I like how Yusuke's mom was some drunk floozy and then for some reason his dad was king of the demon world like how the hell did that even happen

I had the game for gameboy on a 17 in 1 cart and I didn't know what it was but I beat it anyway. Kuwaabara leveled up the fastest and Hiei the slowest. It's a good beatem up platformer rpg.

Yeah, Yusuke was just down the line in demon blood and it awakened in him.

Also, the Genesis fighter was made by Treasure and it was pretty good and a good predecessor to Guardian Heroes on the Saturn.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Satan is the best dad, best grandad, hero, and character, as the poll above says.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First androids could power suck and couldn't be sensed. Their fights were about them sucking out people's energy.
17/18 weren't really antagonists.
Cell's gimmick was having everyone else's gimmick.
Darbura turned people into stone.
Buu was made of immediately healing putty, could turn people into candy, could throw pieces of himself all over the place and absorb people, had multiple different versions.

The villains post Freeza had more variety in Z than in Dragon Ball.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I'm playing catch-up on the last 4 episodes - how exactly is Vegeta even keeping up with this fight? God Ki can't be sensed, unless he tapped into something during Goku's transformation and he's just keeping his mouth shut about it.

He can't. Whis saw he couldn't keep up, offered to give him a little window to actually see it, and Vegeta refused, to try and attempt to see it himself. He probably just sees the sky light up from time to time like everyone else.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The dodonpa was developed directly to counter the kamehameha as well, so an "equal" dodonpa would overpower the kamehameha. It's kind of like how Piccolo already had a kamehameha styled attack, but developed the makankosappo specifically to trick/overpower Goku.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That mission was the absolute worst to a fighter class at around the level you were when you got to it (or like 20 after). A well equipped beam user could take it with the correct setup at a lower level, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

That's great for some of it, but it's kinda lame when you're dealing with Frieza and Cell..

I thought it did a great job of establishing mood in the later parts of the series. The slight Godzilla-y edge of much of the music fit for the always slightly silly style of the series, while it still built up dramaticism well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhwCsvN3D24

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Let's just make a direct comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8vx9OknRI

vs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUuzYvTItNk

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the "Beerus" he's fighting looks like a messed up bat.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

It's during a mission - either fighting Beerus yourself or fighting SSG Goku, I can't remember which - where if you do it fast enough, Whis joins your party for the fight. If he gets knocked out, he leaves and says something like "This has never happened to me before, I have to retreat". It's been a long time, but I distinctly remember it because to that point I'd never had him with me on that fight, then hearing him back off was weird.

That makes sense, but he never got knocked out for me since my characters just got ridiculously powerful at the end.

In any mission where you actually fight HIM or Beerus, however, they both have remarks in which it's basically shown that they're taking it easy on you when it all comes down to it. Xenoverse still has Whis/Beerus as the top of the line, even over your goofy overpowered character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think half of the Goku/Beerus fight was way better than the movie. I missed little touches, especially before they started fighting (like the weird Trunks/Mai thing), but the actual fight was better. I think it "feels" way too long to people when they fight because they saw it before and want to get to new stuff like this wonderful episode, which is fair. But the fights still probably won't be nearly as long as DBZ. Hell, it took like 5 episodes for the tournament in the Buu saga to even start due to a bunch of stalling pre-game warmups and stuff.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

So that more or less locks it as Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, Whis, and ????

Beerus and Whis aren't involved. It's 5 "humans" (people from earth(s)), so Goku, Vegeta, 2 other losers and probably Satan.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

They're just doing DBM aren't they?

To differentiate it, and since Beerus is picking the team, maybe they can do things like pluck Freeza from hell (again) or grab random weirdos he's run into across the universe. Depends on how good the "earthling" translation is (it could just mean people from that universe).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Super has Gregory and he's anime only. Put him on the team.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AGirlWonder posted:

No joke, that's the first thing I thought of.

Me as well. Figured Arale punched the planet around one too many times or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zelah posted:

Is it just a translation issue? Latest manga chapter says there's no humanity on Champa's earth, but then he says 5 humans. Or are we to go liberal with that term and call those human looking dudes who were with frieza and maybe saiyans humans too?

The word used is interchangable with "people"; which would apply to anyone i nthe universe that is not a god, from what I understand.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baal posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm not saying the movie doesn't say that, I'm saying the movie is full of poo poo by saying that.

People have posted stuff to counter you, but just to type out the reasoning; Goku's "default" durability is higher than a human and can block bullets, but that's about it. Ki works like the sliders at the beginning of a RPG where you pick your character stats, only they adjust them constantly, on the fly. If they aren't currently putting any "points" into defense, either by letting their guard down (Goku) or by putting most in speed or something (Gohan rescuing Vegeta from Cell's blast), then they're vulnerable.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baal posted:

The idea that Goku not being on guard 100% of the time while being in God Mode

That's not really how it works, though like I said. If he's just sitting there, he's not boosting his stats because that's what Goku does. He would have put 100 points into "defense" if he saw Freeza doing something, but if ChiChi clocked him over the head from behind, he'd get knocked out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

why didnt anyone kill frieza or cell then

checkmate

Freeza and the androids have "default" durability that can take planets blowing up around them (similar to how Saiyans have enough that bullets bounce off of them). Cell has Freeza's cells so he does as well. Buu has default durability that is like chewing gum.

*throws chessboard off table*

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SirDrone posted:

I'm actually wondering how much the *bad guy isn't even phased by attack* is just goofy filler. Like geez whoever comes up in the idea department of filler sure has some weird consistency when your got crap like Vegeta not being allowed a few seconds to hold his own against a villain but meanwhile Yamcha and Tien tag team and beat up a Cell Jr.

It's almost always Toei. Look at the movies they make, and how often the bad guy gets hit and nothing happens. Especially when it comes to movie 7/8, the latter of which is an entire movie of that

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What a fantastic episode.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The old tournaments were underground, Bloodspot types of affairs, where they were ll super word televised and only martial artists and their friends went to.

Somewhere around the time Mr. Satan got involved they became huge world media events in giant stadiums.

That's why only the few people that actually went to the older tournaments remember Goku.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Caros posted:

While it is probably in vain, I think the most entertaining sort of tournament they could do would be a best of five style rather than any sort of bracketed budokai style.

A best of tournament means you could have two losses on the earth side and still have them win overall, which means you could have the possibility of someone like piccolo and/or Gohan lose after a very hard fought battle and yet have Krillen still contribute if he ends up beating their fifth strongest guy.

Someone likes Yu Yu Hakusho, I see (and yes, that was a well done tournament).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A ton of people in this forum know a lot of Dr. Who. That one is something that crosses the ocean in humor in nerd culture (like Dragon Ball).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Satan is the best granddad and Gohan is a great dad.

• Locked thread