Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Front part of the cap is a single color, usually white, the rest is that semi transparent mesh whatever, normally with an adjustable strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Real talk - in the new "multiple universes" Super developments, where does that put Future Trunks' timeline? Does it constitute its own universe, or is it a splinter universe of the main timeline? If this is the case, does his splinter have its own multiple universes with other Gods of Destruction?

Alternate timelines are splinters. And people like Jaco are supposed to stop that from happening.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the latest manga says that Champa is weaker (probably due to being lazier), but Valdos is probably stronger than Whis.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like that Vegeta/Goku are now just Krillen/Goku back from early Dragon Ball.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

1. More people in America are familiar with Z.
2. Even still, King Piccolo could be pretty dark. But Z took it one step further with children being murdered in the Freeza Saga and then the Cell Saga being the darkest arc in DB history. That's what, 500 episodes of pretty serious poo poo? Also Cell Saga tends to be a lot of people's favorite. It's my favorite from Part 2, to be sure.

I'd say Freeza or Saiyan are "darker" than Cell.

I'm basing this on the amount of times defenseless people were getting the crap kicked out of them and how many times the MAIN kid character (Gohan) got beat up.

Nobody cares much about Yamcha or random NPCs getting killed, but the most brutal beatdowns are in Saiyan and Freeza.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He's to where he was in the movie now, though. I think they were just trying to make him an actual villain to benefit things being stretched out so many episodes, as opposed to a 1 and a half hour movie where you had no problem with a guy who obviously wasn't going to blow up the planet play fighting Goku.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think they did a very good job of it. Now the whole thing just looks like his characterization shifts for no real reason.

Then again I also think the whole battle of gods retelling was bad and unnecessary.

His characterization shifted to yet another bad guy Goku made friends with by punching him in the face enough like all of his other friends :)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yup. having Ginyu/Trunks/Goten in it makes this better than the movie, never mind fixing up all the power relation goofs by removing power level crap statements.

edit: So do they go blue by punching each other really hard?

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 15, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Didn't Shenron only grant two wishes in the movie as well?

Not that it really matters of course, but still.

Yeah he granted two only in the movie, but it looks like they made some edits here. There were also small fixes by not mentioning things like Freezas new guys only being as strong as Zarbon or Dodoria or whatever as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Seriously, if Freeza meets Kid Trunks, it will make all of this worth it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The end of the Beerus fight wasn't about Goku discovering a new power as much as him completely learning how to manage god power. The Beerus fight was more like training for Goku than a major antagonist fight, since the whole fight, Beerus was attempting to push Goku to become a worthy adversary for him. Him threatening the planet was just him trying to force Goku to be better and make him actually fight. The show extended that by 30 minutes, but it's still there. That's a huge difference from Piccolo/Vegeta/Freeza/etc. where they were fighting for more than entertainment.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

If the DBZ characters were really as fast as they should be (given that Goku/Piccolo were already moving too fast to see in their first fight), each battle would basically just be a loud popping sound.

That is what happens. Only people as fast can see it, for the most part. That was shown like 20 different times. Only time regular people see anything is the tournaments and they normally see the result of an action and not the action when people are going all out. Oh, and Mr. Satan because he's the best fighter.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

So we know most of team Universe 7 now:

Goku
Vegeta
Piccolo
Buu
The mysterious strongest person Beerus ever fought, who isn't Whis

Some more funny things in there:

Vegeta suggested putting Gohan on the team because he has the most potential, but Goku says all Gohan wants to do is study now and not fight, and to just let him do that and not get involved. Vegeta made it so the tournament needs people to pass a written test to join so that mindless monsters don't join. And it has Budokai rules.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The current lineup works for the funniest interactions, really.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mabels big day posted:

If they need to pass a written test, then how can Goku join?

He can probably write his name. And Mr. Satan can teach Buu, which is hilarious.

The idea there is to make sure the tournament has a bunch of people that can all actually interact, I think. No Kid Buus or Yakons or Janenbas; everyone can have dialogue and communicate.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kild posted:

Wasn't Goku suppose to be the strongest guy that ever fought Beerus?

Nah, Whis said that Beerus hadn't had that much fun in 900 years or something.

Whis was supposed to be the strongest, but this guy may be more powerful than him.

I like how the Mr. is redundant in the Satan/Buu fusion idea.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I just want a random unexplained Freeza styled training where they somehow convince Buu to train and he is as strong as everyone else.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want the last guy to be Beerus wearing a pair of sunglasses and in a black and white martial arts outfit

That would honestly be so Toriyama and great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tenshinhan has no interest in romance...with people that aren't Chiatzu or however you spell his name now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked some of the Beerus fight better in Super and other parts better in the movie. In fact, the quality of the retread varies wildly from episode to episode. I thought that was the general consensus before the Internet apparently changed, some of it is good, some of it is bad into "it all sucks."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

These changes to Revival F are fantastic. Can't wait for next episode - Freeza DOES get to see Trunks since Goten/Trunks/Gotenks are getting involved, Ginyu is back and involved, and they fixed the "power level" stuff (having someone actually training with Freeza to make them formidable as opposed to whatever the hell happened in the movie).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's good that Tagoma us strong as hell as a by product of Frieza's training, even though it stretches disbelief. Gohan being a super jobber is never going to end, even though he should god-stomp all 1000, including this stronger Tagoma without a second thought.

I don't know why they dropped Tagoma's scoutershades either, they were the best thing about him.

Gohan becoming the new Yamcha makes me laugh now, so I'm fine with it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

So just saw the most recent episode and just like with RoF, it's aggravating to watch the fights unfold. There's no reason why most of the Z-fighters present should be struggling as much as they're doing with these scrubs. You could POSSIBLY argue that at least in Gohan's case, he's holding back cause he doesn't actually want to kill them, but Piccolo shouldn't have the same problem.

Now on some level, I understand why this is done the way it is. To have either Gohan or Piccolo turn the Freeza army into an ash heap in five seconds doesn't make for a long, or suspenseful episode(s)/movie. I get that. But at the same time, it's really drat hard to suspend your disbelief at the idea that characters with planet busting abilities would be having so much trouble with these low level lackeys.

It's the same problem the series has had since Goku defeated Freeza the first time around. Once you have the power to blow up an entire planet with a gesture, well it's really hard to have battles that top that. Which is why we have to have absurd things like characters wetting their pants when someone like Perfect Cell blasts a piece of land to create a crater the size of an average sports stadium ("His power...it's beyond measure!" *gawks and grunts for 20 minutes*). Hell, look at the first or second episode of Super, where Trunks (or was it Goten?) had to turn SSJ just to beat some stupid large snake. We are constantly being told that Characters are ostensibly getting stronger, even though their feats somehow become less and less impressive.

I suppose I should at least be somewhat thankful that Toei/Toriyama decided to come up with some excuse (despite it being rather bullshit as well) to show why Tagoma has become so powerful. But even then, he seems to be only stronger than the Ginyu force. And yet he's thrashing Piccolo with no effort whatsoever. Come on now.

I've started watching One Punch man recently (on episode 7 currently, and if you haven't seen it yet, please do so) and one thing I really like about that show is that the studio does a really good job of conveying how powerful and fast the characters (particularly Saitama of course) really are. The way Saitama punched through a massive cliff all the way through, or the way Speed of Sound Sonic moves around. They feel powerful and fast. That's something that's missing for the most part in DBZ.

Anyway, sorry just wanted to get that off my chest. /endrant

They're actually fixing that part of the movie; I think you're watching it wrong.

Tenshinhan and Piccolo are having no real problems with anyone. Gohan definitely isn't. The only person struggling at all is Roshi. Jaco only takes out one guy. This is different than the movie where they were flying around fighting for like 15 minutes with Roshi and Gohan expending like the same effort.

How much more powerful they were is shown by the Krillen PTSD scene. Krillen dodges them effortlessly without really paying any attention at all once he's actually attacked. It's also shown by Gohan, where, without powering up or going super at all, the second best guy's bearhug doesn't even phase him at all.

With Tagoma, just give him the bullshit Saiyan powerup brink of death thing (they don't necessarily have to be the only ones that have it). Freeza's training was specifically shown to be kicking Tagoma's rear end over and over again to the brink of death and him healing and repeat. If you handwave him as also having the Saiyan bullshit gene then 4 months straight of that, every day, by a much more powerful opponent (since that always scaled to who they were fighting at the time) got him to be around Buu level.

The scouter only says he's "above the Ginyu force." That's without him powering up, as Goten/Trunks only seem to notice him once he actually powers up.

Attacks are controlled in Dragon Ball. They normally do something to show you what they can do uncontrolled (ie. breaking apart the entire universe), and then show that they can negate the destruction or focus the energy when they're actually fighting and don't want to blow up everything around them. Super had an entire episode set up to basically explain that they are universal level now but learn how to control collateral damage while doing stuff.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I bet you Ginyu doesn't even hop into him, but misses and goes into a random mook who gets his head blown off.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They didn't even do that. Not a single 'Z Fighter' powered up during that fight except Roshi, I believe. They were as casual as you could get, which is why the kids didn't even notice anything was going on.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kamehamehas are always spheres with a trail of energy behind them. When they have those big rear end beam battles, they're constantly pumping more energy into the main sphere.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I never heard about the ki attack, but Mr. Satan and his master were hanging around and made fun of Tao's hair, and his master got killed is the long and short I've heard of it from one of the side guides.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Satan also has comic relief powers that is a throwback to early Dragon Ball with Goku breaking the third wall and tossing Boss Rabbit to the moon and stuff that makes him pretty much invincible in the scheme of things, so it's only as much of a joke as his character is purposely made to be.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought Roshi came to bring senzus and then just ended up being stuck there, only to show he had been working out. Or was that the manga adaptation of the movie?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's weird that although Super is a retread, I have no idea what is going to happen at this point because everything is so different.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Movie characters are more stupidly powerful than show characters (shooting kamehamehas that are like hundreds of times faster than light and go through and punch through the sun in a few seconds, fighting in IT, villains simply ignoring full power kamehamehas to the face), so it's kind of pointless to gauge movie characters to points in the show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Am I misremembering or didn't Frieza completely no-sell the Kaio-Ken x20 Kamehameha?

Freeza put all of his power into blocking it and got singed and hurt from it. Similarly, Cell got completely screwed up by weaker Vegeta's "everything he's got" Big Bang Attack.

A lot of the movie villains can put no effort into defense and just walk through everyone's strongest attacks like paper.

It's a big part of the series that people have to be able to consciously block attacks, even from weaker characters, for the most part. That's the whole part of the Goku gets blasted by ring part of Revival F and what Whis was teaching him. The movies create villains so powerful that they even ignore that, and will ignore every single attack until the very end where someone eats a spirit bomb or absorbs weaker people's ki, or ghost Goku comes and helps. It gets to be kind of annoying because it makes the fights kind of pointless since they don't have the back and forth or stakes the actual manga has. If it happened once, it's fine, but it happened like 4 times and got old.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 10, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Honestly, a lot of the Internet questions about Goku being hurt by a ring or Gohan's arm being broken by Super Perfect Cell wouldn't even be questions if Toei didn't keep throwing in "this person is so powerful they don't even have to block" in all the movies and the filler (destructo disc on Cell being a prime example).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's a disconnect between Manga and anime that really causes some confusions. Same thing with how other world is handled.

It does make an interesting question: if people must actively block, why didn't someone kill Frieza in his sleep?

Just like Saiyan's default durability is way above humans in that they say "ow" when shot by machine guns, Freeza's is probably even higher to a degree that you need a ton of energy to breach it since he takes a lot more to kill and can survive being in pieces anyway. Random mooks probably can't even do it with their ultra weak blasts, and people like Ginyu are so loyal that they wouldn't bother.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cell/Gohan question is pretty much answered in that a weakened Gohan still overpowered Cell's kamehameha once his dead dad convinced him to finally stop holding back. Gohan was holding back the entire time because he was scared of blowing up the planet himself, so that fight is really hard to gauge.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mmkay posted:

Gohan put basically his whole energy, since he reverted back to base after the duel ended (earlier when Cell apparently died, he only reverted back to regular SSJ), straight at a distracted Cell (who was faring much better during the duel). And it's not like we didn't see stronger people being defeated by a weaker person's ki blast (like Raditz).

Now that I think about it during the 23rd Tenkaichi, Piccolo suffered similar wounds after getting hit by his own beam, so at least this points that Cell and Gohan are much closer to each other in strength than some people think.

The thing with Gohan was that it was a life or death struggle with the same blasts going against each other, and Cell's distraction was tiny.

You basically had 75% of Gohan holding back SPC's kamehameha and losing, his dead dad gave him a pep talk, and Vegeta did the equivalent of throwing a rock at Cell to give him a little bit of distraction, with Gohan releasing all of his power at that moment to overpower Cell. Cell -was- pushing back everything he had left at Gohan, but the intent looks like the momentum plus the power gave him the win.

Since Gohan was weakened there, a fully powered one should have probably been more powerful, although not -that- much. I agree the difference was small, but I don't think it was equal, either.

And like you said, the anime skews it ridiculously in Cell's favor, since everyone was doing full out blasts at his back (while he was not blocking, again), and he was fighting them off with ki from his back while blasting Gohan.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That little guy on Team Universe 7 looks hilarious, and it goes right along with the Toriyama "the goofiest looking assholes are the most powerful" thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Flippinlikebirds posted:

It annoys me that they are wasting a spot on Buu. Should have been Gotenks.

Buu has the potential for more interesting stuff than Gotenks. Candy beams, general malleability, childish temper as opposed to childish goofiness, etc.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This latest episode of Super is the overall worst animated episode of Dragon Ball I've seen, and I'm not exaggerating at all. And it's basically complete filler. Basically watch Goku go SSG and skip the rest of the episode.

edit: And Vegeta smiling and clapping.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, TFS has some pretty terrible taste. Putting that lovely movie with Vegeta's brother in the top 15 above movies like Tree of Might, Lord Slug, and the first Brolly movie?

You don't like "Yo! Son Goku?" Slice of life Dragon Ball is the best, and that was pretty much entirely slice of life, and also segued into the current tone of the series (everyone was in character, unlike those movies).

• Locked thread