Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yotsuba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Asuka @ Miraikei

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fire Brigade of Flames

The new manga from the author of Soul Eater. It's about firefighters fighting spontaneous human combustion. It's just started and already looks neat.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Jabberwocky by Masato Hisa

(scans are stalled halfway through though...)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stravaganza ~Isai no Hime~ by Akihito Tomi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Love Is Hard For An Otaku

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Did the translator seriously think that "well-spoken characters who don't use contractions" would use "hell of" because they wouldn't use "hella"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's a goon character, he thinks he's smart and well spoken but really has no idea how to talk or act at all. Seems legit.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Guns and Stamps

Flying Witch

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Handa-Kun

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

+ tic Neesan by Cha Kurii

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't think I like the half dozen pages posts at all. If you can't find one or two pages to sell the comic, don't post.

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

7c Nickel posted:

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS

TBH I'm not reading this comic just because I'm tired of the fans posting about it in as many unrelated topics as they can.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I don't think I like the half dozen pages posts at all. If you can't find one or two pages to sell the comic, don't post.

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS

hurrrrrrrrrrrr

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol, is that just a straight up american webcomic?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Destroy. Kill. Blood. Blood. Blood.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i hate when people post cool extended sequences from cool looking comics, ps heres a random single page from some ugly ameritrash,

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ehh, it's a webcomic that relies too much on obtuse world-building for my tastes. Also the title's a lie.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Oh, My Sweet Alien!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Please only recommend manga in the manga recommendations thread.

Please also read the OP to understand whatever new rules and circumstances are strange and frightening to you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Linnaeus posted:

Oh, My Sweet Alien!

I remember seeing this one a while ago, it's cute and pretty funny, but super short.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember seeing this one a while ago, it's cute and pretty funny, but super short.

yeah it's pretty short but i think that's the perfect length for that kind of manga

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Linnaeus posted:

yeah it's pretty short but i think that's the perfect length for that kind of manga

I would have been perfectly fine with an extra 12 or so chapters personally.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

I would have been perfectly fine with an extra 12 or so chapters personally.

i wanted some more too when i finished it :D

other romance manga go on so loooong though

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

i hate when people post cool extended sequences from cool looking comics, ps heres a random single page from some ugly ameritrash,

He's got a point, though. New thread rules are good, but a fair number of the multipage posts have been from people who either really have no idea what constitutes an interesting self-contained sequence, or else they're intentionally disregarding the spirit of the thread and just using it as an excuse to fanboy out and post stuff that they know isn't going to mean anything to people who aren't already reading it.

Much like that accusation against KSBD fans a few posts up. :ironicat:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Bad Seafood posted:

Please only recommend manga in the manga recommendations thread.

Please also read the OP to understand whatever new rules and circumstances are strange and frightening to you.

Whats the stance on Korean and Chinese webcomics/comics?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's my stance: there's barely any good ones

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cathair posted:

He's got a point, though. New thread rules are good, but a fair number of the multipage posts have been from people who either really have no idea what constitutes an interesting self-contained sequence

lots of people also had no idea what constituted a good single panel so who cares

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cathair posted:

He's got a point, though. New thread rules are good, but a fair number of the multipage posts have been from people who either really have no idea what constitutes an interesting self-contained sequence, or else they're intentionally disregarding the spirit of the thread and just using it as an excuse to fanboy out and post stuff that they know isn't going to mean anything to people who aren't already reading it.

Much like that accusation against KSBD fans a few posts up. :ironicat:

Ah good point, gas the thread entirely.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Durrhurrrrrrrr sometimes people post a lot of pages of stuff i dont care about, and this is different than when they post single pages of comics nobody cares about because im dumb hahurrr - that dude

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its the same thing with youtube threads dogg, almost nobody reads or watches anything that gets posted but the point is to have it out there in case somebody does get interested, even one person, and posting more pages means you get a better view of what something instead of an endless parade of contextless images

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

MrCinos posted:

Tamen de Gushi (Their Story):

Both of the couples going on in this are super cute, thanks

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I've found a lot of really good mangas from lurking these threads just fyi.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

its the same thing with youtube threads dogg, almost nobody reads or watches anything that gets posted

Uhhh, no, that's not true at all.

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

:agreed:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Same. Also a lot of bad ones that MrCinos tricked me into reading.

Since it came up: In theory, the new "single scene" instead of "single page" thing is a good thing for all the reasons outlined in the OP. I mself know how infuriating it can be to see an awesome, defining moment that's perfect for this thread, but it's not something that's communicated on a single page, but spread over 2 or three.

In practice tho, now that it's been in action for a while, i still eagerly click on and check out the single pages + name for interesting stuff, mostl the 2 pagers as well, but when i see 3 or 4 timg'd pages in a row, sometimes multiple times in a post, with nothing to catch my eye straight form the thumbnail (like page-spreads), i just scroll past.
Like, don't make me click, scroll, click, scroll, click, scroll for some kind of mediocre action scene or character building that makes no sense without the context. Which can happen a lot, because people suck at this thread. It happened a lot in the previous thread, too, but it's not much of a sunk cost on a single page, where it's usually easy to see what the poster was going for, whereas you might need to scan over multiple pages with tiny panels and dialogue and all that.

(Yea i know i posted a 3 pager before, it took a while of browsing this thread to come to the realization)

That's my honest view, i know they're rare nowadays on these forums, take it as you want. I'm still enjoying the thread regardless

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

VEGETA is all about being honest and true nowadays, report false hearted posts on sight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If I see too many pages, I'm just gonna skip over it. It doesn't actually hurt the thread or anything though, as long as they're kept in timg form.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, generally I'll look at the 1-2 pages, and maybe the 3s if there's an interesting thing in there. Beyond that I tend to scroll on without looking.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so in practice, 3 is probably the upper limit. which is good to know assuming we want people to actually check things out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I actually did some metrics on this with our last book. We took 11 short stories from our first anthology, each between 4 and 10 pages, and publicly shared them. We then tracked page views across the stories, and we found that almost all comics had 50% dropoff after page 4. Typography matters a lot too - a story with small print and lots of text sees dropoff on page 2. Our most successful story had a 40% completion rate, but most averaged between 25% and 30%.

I'd 3-4 pages is pretty much the largest sample you can expect a casual audience to care about.

• Locked thread