Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thats why you should force everybody to see the pages by not having them tinied. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Arbitrary image limits are dumb, since the amount of information contained in a single image can vary wildly.

Here's some stuff I posted in the old thread, now with more images:

Natsunokumo

I had trouble picking a single image because every page of this is beautiful. The character is a assassin/therapist in a virtual reality game. He helps to cure gaming addicts by PKing them until they delete their characters and quit the game. He gets hired to protect a community for abused children undergoing virtual group therapy after one of the members kills their family in real life and draws the attention of every player-killer in the online world. By the author of Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru.

Front Mission - Dog Life & Dog Style

The author set out to make the most brutally horrifying war story about giant robots and did a pretty good job of it. This a series where a glorious death means your family can buy a nice apartment with your death benefits and a happy ending means escaping the warzone and being sold into prostitution. The only character with any kind of plot armor is a creepy, voyeuristic photojournalist who is so nondescript that soldiers, bullets, and shrapnel seem to ignore his very existence. First half is great, but Volumes 5-10 are missing or incomplete.

On a lighter note, there's Freaks' Squeele

Looks like your standard monster school for super-heroes, until a costume contest/publicity stunt gone wrong convinces the world that they're actually a school for super-villains. Great art, clever action scenes, weaponized ginger-bread men, swordsmithing tutorials, and a charming cast of misfits. The scanlator got a cease & desist halfway through the over-the-top dark and mysterious teacher's super-dark and super-mysterious origin story.

Aura From Another Planet is a Korean funnybook about a couple of alien siblings who wind up stranded on earth. It's a stereotypical story about trying to fit in, make friends, and influence people. Minus that part about trying to fit in.

Teppu used to have a thread, but it's fallen into the archives. It's your typical fighting manga about high school girls, but told from the antagonist's perspective. Ishidou Natsuo is a naturally talented fighter who likes to beat people up to alleviate the boredom of being great at everything. She meets an annoyingly cheerful and friendly transfer student who practices MMA and walks away from the encounter with a bloody nose and a new life goal: To beat the poo poo out of that smiling idiot with the Eyebrows. Great art, fun fights, and entertaining characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

As a largepost maker it's a bummer to hear they're getting/are more likely to be ignored, but I suppose I could stand to find a better page vs context balance.

Shiori Experience - Jimi na Watashi to Hen na Oji-san by Machida Kazuya

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This post will be slightly large but somewhat important. Please read it before continuing to post in this thread.

So yeah, page limits. I didn't want to slap a hard number on this because I know from experience it can vary, but generally speaking 1-3 is probably the optimum amount of pages to post. In the OP where I recommend Imperial Guards I probably could've just stuck with the first two pages, but included the other three because I wanted to contrast the colored art of the series with the more sparse style of most chapters. Also because those fleeting moments of downtime and small side-conversations among soldiers are one of the little things I think make the series great. I absolutely don't regret posting 5 pages for Ran and the Gray World, since I think the overall flow and conclusion of that scene is good and important.

In most cases though, unless you've got a particularly strong visual narrative on display, I would say to post no more than 3 pages per series. I won't really crack down on this though since it's largely self-policing. Most people simply won't read past the first 3 pages (though I do).

Regarding the quality of those pages, that's really on the heads of individual posters. The last thread had this problem too and I didn't expect it to go away. All I'll ask is please, before you post anything, look back at what you're posting and ask yourself: "If I knew nothing about this series whatsoever, would these pages convince me to check it out?"

C.M. Kruger posted:

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction
This is a good page. Without knowing or looking up anything about it, I've already got a feel for the art, content, and tone of the work. I am convinced. I'll read it sometime. This is a bad page. The art isn't particularly impressive and it tells me nothing about anything. It's possible this is supposed to be some big dramatic moment or something, but I have no context. I am not convinced.

Regarding Korean and Chinese comics/webcomics, I'll permit their inclusion since there's really no other place on the forums to discuss or share them that I'm aware of besides one or two threads in here, but I have to be honest and say with two exceptions I've never seen anyone post anything evenly remotely interesting in either of these two categories. There may be a wealth of good Korean and Chinese comics, but their proponents thus far have not done a great job promoting them in any engaging way.

Regarding American and European comics/webcomics, I don't want those posted here because you people have an entire other subforum dedicated to those. You also have this thread here if you feel the need to evangelize. This thread is for manga; ideally manga most people haven't read already. I also find it more than just a little bit disingenuous to post Western works in here when posting anything even remotely Japanese is more than occasionally met with hostility and derision elsewhere - not that that's the fault or responsibility of any one poster, or even perpetuated by any posters here. All the same, you have your place and we have ours. Don't cross the streams.

You may PM me if you have any further questions or complaints. I'd prefer it if this thread didn't get clogged up with people arguing over things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bad Seafood posted:

Regarding Korean and Chinese comics/webcomics, I'll permit their inclusion since there's really no other place on the forums to discuss or share them that I'm aware of besides one or two threads in here, but I have to be honest and say with two exceptions I've never seen anyone post anything evenly remotely interesting in either of these two categories. There may be a wealth of good Korean and Chinese comics, but their proponents thus far have not done a great job promoting them in any engaging way.

they're generally a lot more static outside of rare examples so hard to find a good page from or just barely translated so bad to share. i really like tower of god but i'd struggle to find a good page or couple of pages that would be particularly interesting that i can think of

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna own anyone who keeps posting the same mang or a mang where there's only like 5 translated chapters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Donyatsu, cute little food animals living in a world where humans all just apparently abruptly vanished one day. They meet friends of all sorts, bear-macaroons, burger-dogs, giant super robots...

Kakukaku Shikajika, an autobiographical story by the author of Jellyfish Princess. Wonderfully well-told and her choices and regrets are palpable.

edit:

And Yet the Town Moves, a hilarious, sometimes surreal/paranormal slice-of-life. Basically follows an older Yotsuba.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 29, 2015

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
I had some thoughts about why I think everyone should limit themselves to one image only, but since bad seafood said she/he would prefer no discussion in this thread i guess i am keeping them to my self.

Bakuon Rettou by Takahashi Tsutomu

The Clock Chime, short story by Irie Aki(creator of Ran and the Grey world),from Gunjou Gakusha.

My Hitler, short story by Tatsumi Yoshihiro, from The Push Man and other storys.

Takemitsu Zamurai by Eifuku Issei and Matsumoto Taiyou

Make-Up, short story by Tatsumi Yoshihiro, from The Push Man and other storys.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You want good Chinese comics?

Feng Shen Ji, everything you ever wanted out of epic martial arts shounen. (Except, y'know, from China.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BLACK JOKE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 29, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dungeon Meshi

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 29, 2015

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Black joke is the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever read in many regards, but the art style is not one of them.

New one, Odette

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Black Joke is unironically amazing.

The Legend of Edajima Heihachi

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 29, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Investor Z

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honoo no Ninjaman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Black Joke is unironically amazing.

The Legend of Edajima Heihachi

Is this the HEADMASTER OF OTOKOJUKU, EDAJIMA HEIHACHI?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Plutonis if you're gonna recommend a bunch of stuff in one sitting I'd appreciate if you did it all in one post.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Is this the HEADMASTER OF OTOKOJUKU, EDAJIMA HEIHACHI?

It's his prologue when he's fighting for the honor of Yamato on WWII

Bad Seafood posted:

Plutonis if you're gonna recommend a bunch of stuff in one sitting I'd appreciate if you did it all in one post.

I'll be sure to disappoint you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's his prologue when he's fighting for the honor of Yamato on WWII

I'll be sure to disappoint you.

the prologue is badass

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cinderella Knight

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

玲瓏館健在なりや / Reiroukan Kenzai Nariya

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 29, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sharkopath posted:

玲瓏館健在なりや

Also known as Reiroukan Kenzai Nariya

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you're posting more than one image, use [timg].

Thanks in advance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Monster Secret

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
man you have decent taste in manga but you choose terrible pages/images to show the poo poo off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't really care that you don't like'em. If you're going to whine, by all means, post better examples.

Shion of the Dead is about a zombie girl.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Murcielago

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nuan Nuan Wu

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't really care that you don't like'em. If you're going to whine, by all means, post better examples.

Maybe better examples would be easier to find if what you posted convinced anybody.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Davincie posted:

Nuan Nuan Wu

this looks gorgeous. Definitely going to give this a whirl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Anatharon posted:

Maybe better examples would be easier to find if what you posted convinced anybody.
Maybe you should at the very least make recommendations yourself when making pitiful snipes that frankly aren't correct. While I might agree some of my examples aren't particularly great(particularly the Donyatsu/Sen to Man ones), I feel like others are representative of the series in question while avoiding posting super spoilery stuff, such as the IIAH, Kakukaku, Dedededestruction, etc ones.

If you disagree, that's fine. But don't bitch while not contributing. That's not what this thread is for.

Choku!, by the Watamote author. It's quite something.

edit: have a full page of And Yet The Town Moves(available on Crunchyroll!) instead of the one panel I had on-hand from before.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 30, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I don't think anyone has actually posted this yet, I can't believe it. Guess I'll be that guy.

Hinamatsuri, a rather hilarious manga about an esper girl who gets thrown into the life a rather straight man yakuza dude and their zany adventures.

edit: And yet the town moves is one of my favorite manga, everyone should read it. It's probably in my top ten.

Though is there a reason to link to the crunchyroll link instead of kissmanga? The cr manga reader has been terrible from what I can tell.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 30, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CR is an official release, linking to Kissmanga isn't any different to linking a torrent or something.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

CR is an official release, linking to Kissmanga isn't any different to linking a torrent or something.

Well that's a shame since CR has a terrible mange reader.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The mobile one is okay but yeah the browser one was garbo last time I tried using it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The mobile version is fantastic and saves the page you were on. The browser version is hot garbage that scrolls through pages when you use the mousewheel.

The World God Only Knows, one of the better romcoms wherein the "God of Dating Sims" has to use his massive knowledge of cliches to win the hearts of a harem of girls, or else his head'll be lopped off. Funny and cute a lot of the time, plays with tropes well. Goes on perhaps a bit longer than it needed to, but is good anyways.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Blood Alone:

I am a Hero:

Sekitou Elergy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Smoking Parade - Deadman Wonderland's mangaka is back with more psychotic grins than you can shake a kitchen knife at:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
clover is a dumb manga about high school kids kicking the poo poo out of each other and i assume the guy who makes it was an assistant on crows or something but i find them entertaining for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ringo Chimoguri and the Fishbowl-headed Man

• Locked thread