Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

MrCinos posted:

Blood Alone:

I am a Hero:

Sekitou Elergy

Hey op, as far as i can tell Blood Alone is about a 30 year old novelist who has sex on the reg with a vampire of indeterminate age but a 10 year old body . Weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'll take a crack at this.

Gundam Sousei is a ridiculously-dramatized version of the story behind the production of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Interesting for fans and still amusing for everybody else, it's a good short read.

Getter Robo
The manga is rough, most noticeably in the art, which at this time is still extremely reminiscient of Ishikawa's mentor, Go Nagai. However, despite the amateurish art and somewhat standard super robot trappings, the entertaining and insane aspects that would become fully realized in the third entry, Getter Robo Go, still shine through and make the original a worthwhile read.

Speaking of Go Nagai, Devilman.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 1, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I've been reading this and it's pretty good so far. I even like the little short intermission comics.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've been reading this and it's pretty good so far. I even like the little short intermission comics.

You should also probaly read
Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
The God of High School:

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2015

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nichijou is a good recommendation.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Melo Holic:

Red Eyes:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

This is a bad page. The art isn't particularly impressive and it tells me nothing about anything. It's possible this is supposed to be some big dramatic moment or something, but I have no context. I am not convinced.

Let my try

Freesia

I personally love the sketchy, scrawny, pencil & ink based drawing style. And the messy, grimy, gritty visual aspect is a perfect representation of the story itself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its been years since i read it. has it been finished and is it possible to work out who characters are because i remember thinking too many people looked the same

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Kakukaku Shikajika: finished it just now and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good slice of life/realistic manga. Haven't read anything that good in half a year at least.

An excellent autobiography of a succesful josei mangaka (who's writing Kuragehime and is a sister to Tonari no Seki-kun's author) who lived through a lot to this day. A down-to-earth narrative and interesting perspetive on past event from the author as well all of the "characters" (friends/parents/teachers/co-workers) really made me enjoy this series a lot.

---

---

EDIT: Also, my mind was blown by the author's connection to Yoshitomi Akihito (Eat-Man), what a small world.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 1, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

its been years since i read it. has it been finished and is it possible to work out who characters are because i remember thinking too many people looked the same

Freesia? Yes and yes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MrCinos posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika
This series has been recommended three times since this thread's inception; twice by you, both times on the same page not even five posts apart.

Please don't do this.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Franken Fran. comedy/horror manga, if you can't tell.

Alternate 2.5page version:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Franken Fran. comedy/horror manga, if you can't tell.

Fraken Fran is completely horrifying but I couldn't help but read the entire thing.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel like I could link pretty much any image from this manga but this one's pretty drat good

Vagabond

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Samurai Deeper Kyo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

With the new rules I'm spared attempting to pick a single page for Ou Dorobou Jing/Jing: King of Bandits. Good.

Wildly imaginative series featuring episodes of a master thief in a strange, fantastical world. I first read it in middle school. Still one of my favorites, and highly underrated. The anime adaptation really didn't manage to capture the whimsy of the manga. It seems the only scans available are actually from the Tokyopop release, so if you can pick that up I'd recommend it. It was hard picking just one sequence.

Nijigahara Holograph

Probably one of my favorite pages from any manga.

Finally. 20th Century Boys. My favorite manga. This is the sequence that hooked me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MattTheDoctor posted:

With the new rules I'm spared attempting to pick a single page for Ou Dorobou Jing/Jing: King of Bandits. Good.

Wildly imaginative series featuring episodes of a master thief in a strange, fantastical world. I first read it in middle school. Still one of my favorites, and highly underrated. The anime adaptation really didn't manage to capture the whimsy of the manga. It seems the only scans available are actually from the Tokyopop release, so if you can pick that up I'd recommend it. It was hard picking just one sequence.

Nijigahara Holograph

Probably one of my favorite pages from any manga.

Finally. 20th Century Boys. My favorite manga. This is the sequence that hooked me.

Jing was really good when I read it. Was the follow up, Twilight Tales any good?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

GorfZaplen posted:

Jing was really good when I read it. Was the follow up, Twilight Tales any good?

I haven't given it a second shot, but I never really liked it as a kid. The art style lost a lot of the grit that I enjoyed and it got a little cutesy, plus it felt like plot- and setting-wise it lost some of its imagination. That could have just been my perception back then, though.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Onepunch Man

cyrus_zane fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 2, 2015

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Nah, more like Onepunch Man:

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014

diarmuidqq posted:

Nah, more like Onepunch Man:

That is a good page.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Love Tyrant

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - This one is great guys for realsies

Yuusha ga Shinda! Murabito no Ore ga Hotta Otoshiana ni Yuusha ga Ochita Kekka

Torikago no Tsugai

Clockwork Planet

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MrCinos posted:

Melo Holic:

I just finished reading this, was pretty good.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Ai-ren:

---

This series has one of the more interesting settings I've seen in manga. Pre-post apocalyptic setting where "apocalyptic" scenario will be realised not far in the future in a slow and steady manner: resources are ending, ecology is screwed, humans slowly losing their reproductive capabilities and the first ever contact with another intelligent life form doesn't improve humanity's chances to survive.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 2, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Battle Angel Alita: Martian Chronicles

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

Torikago no Tsugai

Fair warning though, this starts out good but the scans got lovely after a couple chapters and then stopped coming out like 4 months ago

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Erg posted:

Fair warning though, this starts out good but the scans got lovely after a couple chapters and then stopped coming out like 4 months ago

And the scans stop on a crazy cliffhanger too so ugh what was even the point.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
ib - instant bullet

A story about very broken and emotionally damaged people who gain powers that can either wipe out humanity or save it from themselves. For a story about potentially world ending powers, there's surprisingly little action as its mostly about the characters working through their own emotional baggage. Its kind of like a darker Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, but the resemblance only goes as far as the concept. A scanlation group has really been churning out the chapters lately so hopefully the last seven will be translated before long.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Kono Kanojo wa Fiction desu - It's about some guys dream girl coming to life because magic; and then these images pretty much encapsulate the plot from there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shoulda posted the page where he draws the girl and then kisses the drawing

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Conductor: 4 volumes (translation completed)

---

Nijiiro Days: ongoing series (24 chapters translated)

---

Pretty good comedy/slice of life/romance series with several male leads who have each own distinct dynamic with their love interest. It also has a strong friendship theme going on that is also very well executed.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 4, 2015

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Odette

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
That does look dangerous. Because they put metal bars there. I don't know how many times during my childhood I jumped off the swingset at the zenith of my swing into the sand but it was great every time

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Relin posted:

That does look dangerous. Because they put metal bars there. I don't know how many times during my childhood I jumped off the swingset at the zenith of my swing into the sand but it was great every time

Same; I loved jumping off of semi-high things, too. I'm astonished my knees still work after so many like 6-8 foot drops from playground equipment as a kid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
worst is another dumb manga about high school kids kicking the poo poo out of each other

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MattTheDoctor posted:

Speak of the devil... I was just thinking that I should post some Jing stuff. So sad that the author seemed to disappear out of thin air. :(

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm the opposite of MattTheDirector. I remember liking Twilight Tales' stories and artwork more so than the first part/series. Since Twilight Tales was the latter half of the series, the author's artwork had matured a bit, which I preferred. It's been many years since I've read them, though.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Ouji ga Watashi wo Akiramenai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! (Tomo-chan is a girl!)

• Locked thread