Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sukeban Deka

A story about a delinquent girl forced to become an undercover student cop.

I love it.

Sukeban Deka is the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never heard of this before but I'm a sucker for survivors in a freshly post apocalyptic setting, I hopped right in and six chapters in after the prologue its switched between almost as many characters/areas, pretty much the only link being cherubin. Does that continue for the entire run or does it actually pick some people and stick with them for more than a chapter? I'm loving the atmosphere, the aesthetic of the machinery (very 80s/early 90s), and the brutal, unapologetic and utterly uncompromising nature of it, but I don't know if I could stomach that if it keeps hopping to new people constantly.

While it starts post-apocalyptic its really more of a Ghost in The Shell/Elysium-style cyberpunk political thriller. And the plot mostly sticks to the same characters, but nearly all of them get long backstories as a way of world building.

For example:

Also the author has a sports manga called All Rounder Meguru that's pretty good, especially if you are big fan of things like Teppu:

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 24, 2015

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Domestic na Kanojo:

-

-

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You are a bad person

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

three random pages...? i don't understand

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The image of the guy slapping thebae makes me very hype

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Namtab posted:

The image of the guy slapping thebae makes me very hype

Then maybe you should take a look at this:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Domestic-na-Kanojo

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Golden Kamui, main characters (Ainu girl and survivor of Russo-Japanese war):

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

MrCinos posted:

Ainu words

Sold

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This probably isn't a very good way to convince someone to read And Yet The Town Turns... (Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru), but as someone who draws comics, this page really impressed me:

Look at the variety of faces here! The artist clearly knows his game. Many less talented manga artists would have trouble drawing two or three different teen girl faces, much less 20 of them. Just the very fact that he made them both 1) stylized and cartoon, and 2) unique and varied, speaks to the talent of the artist here.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
All those great faces and the main character gets the most generic one.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Another interesting thing is how he doesnt try to make every face attractive, like in almost every other manga. They're just normal girls.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pavlov posted:

All those great faces and the main character gets the most generic one.

The main character is the only one with giant anime eyes, haha

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The recurring characters have simplified faces that are easier to draw. I don't think the picture means all that much in terms of actual character design. Unless you're saying that each one of these people is actually a series regular, which I doubt.

Actually, it makes me wonder if he took a look at his own high school yearbook and just copied some faces.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Why can't :smuggo: in the top left be the protagonist? They look way more interesting.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Why can't :smuggo: in the top left be the protagonist? They look way more interesting.

I'm partial towards Literally a Monkey.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a Very Strong first page for a series to start with, I haven't read it though, threw it on my list hoping it's good though

Rock it Girl

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it gets like an update a year

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's more than my big favorite Sekitou Elergy gets anymore

:smith:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

this is a Very Strong first page for a series to start with, I haven't read it though, threw it on my list hoping it's good though

Rock it Girl

DrSunshine posted:

This probably isn't a very good way to convince someone to read And Yet The Town Turns... (Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru), but as someone who draws comics, this page really impressed me:

Look at the variety of faces here! The artist clearly knows his game. Many less talented manga artists would have trouble drawing two or three different teen girl faces, much less 20 of them. Just the very fact that he made them both 1) stylized and cartoon, and 2) unique and varied, speaks to the talent of the artist here.

Not convincing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
4 Cut Hero is a korean manwha about the hero who defeats the demon king and then becomes a shut in. The defeated King's subordinates seek revenge and hijinks ensue.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
+a no Tachiichi

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Eeevil posted:

+a no Tachiichi

This one's pretty good. It's about two girls who get thrown into a magical kingdom-type setting. The gimmick is that the main character is the standard chosen-one-who-will-save-us-all type thing, but since she's fairly plain and her friend is basically The Prettiest Most Humble Anime Schoolgirl Ever everyone thinks it's her who has the powers, and the main character is demoted to background status. The comic so far is the MC desperately trying to keep up the charade and keep them both alive, as all the other characters try to manipulate/mack on the powerless friend. It's nothing revolutionary but it manages the "main character is aware of anime tropes" thing without it being trite or insufferable.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

A manga about the twilight years of humanity. It's beautiful and peaceful and strange. Very strong art and writing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's a T-Rex! is about a world with humans and dinosaurs who look part human. Like human torsos with dinosaur limbs instead. It's very silly.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Gintama:

---

Kizu:

-

---

Heads:

-

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Car Graffiti JK

Bakuon!!

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Oh god is that Anime School Girl Motorcycle Stig?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Powerstone posted:

Oh god is that Anime School Girl Motorcycle Stig?

Yes, Raimu from Bakuon!! is exactly that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

gleipnir

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Helck:

Somewhat scrathces the same itch as OPM at first, but becomes more and more complex as it goes (in a good way). It has plenty of funny moments, good world building with a decent intrigue going on and rather nice character development so far.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 10, 2016

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Helck is fantastic and updating really quickly.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love Helck and I love Helck and I love the insane Helck translator.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I sat down to read Helck and thought the first few chapters were goofy and amusing but nothing special and then suddenly it's 60 chapters later and there's no more to read and I need more Helck in my life, Helck is awesome, read Helck

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you should translate the other 23 chapters for the rest of us imo

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Helck is really amazing.

Now Cherry, by the same dude who wrote Chocolat

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jose posted:

you should translate the other 23 chapters for the rest of us imo

It looks like the guy who does Helck is doing a chapter a day so you guys should just sit tight, soon you will suffer with me

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I see Donald Trump has kicked his rhetoric up a notch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yuusha ga Shinda is a pretty dumb manga but it makes me laugh now and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, that one is pretty good too.

• Locked thread