Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

I suppose if I had to rec something to Generic Person X who doesn't know what they want, it would be Hinamatsuri.

Mine would be Dungeon Meshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Does One Piece take a while to find it's stride or is it the same all the way through? I gave up about when they reached a big desert arc around 12 volume in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mimir posted:

Does One Piece take a while to find it's stride or is it the same all the way through? I gave up about when they reached a big desert arc around 12 volume in.

While you haven't reached what is generally considered the best arc, if you're not in by that point I doubt anything will change for you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Dungeon Meshi and Hinamatsuri are both very good, but not universal recommendations. I feel like the only thing you might be able to universally recommend is something like short story collections, since there's something for everyone in them (and it doesn't go on too long if you don't care), and i sy that as someone who doesn't usually read short stories.

I'd probably recommend Terrarium in Drawer (by the Dungeon Meshi author) and Nickelodeon. They're both really good. If you haven't read them, do that now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can see the schizophrenic nature of Nickelodeon and occasionally creepy in a bad way aspect of some of Dowman's stuff turning someone off of it, to be honest. That said, I'd say if someone does enjoy that, to give his major series The Voynich Hotel a go. Outside of a single very prominent problem it's a really great, surreal series.

And honestly who'd be turned off by Dungeon Meshi? It's such an impeccably-written work in such a variety of ways with a really great premise that I can't see someone giving up on it unless their reason is just that they hate anything fantasy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Voynich Hotel is also very good, but has way more caveats than Nickelodeon, where the weird parts are at least mostly contained in quick single stories.

DM's writing is superb, but good writing has never meant that anyone could enjoy it. I'd wager some art films would be way more popular if only the writing matters, but many people can't or don't want to look past whatever "artsyness" they employ that makes them not-mainstream.

A few things in DM that can be automatic turn-off for some people, especially if they don't regularly read manga/comics:
- Cooking
- Dungeons
- Dragons and fantasy theme in general (just bores some people)
- "Dude has to rescue [sister/loveinterest/otherwoman] from evil X" theme
- Magic and/or its detailed workings or applications can be a no-go
- That ridiculous Asian harem

None of these are a problem for me, most of these are actually what makes it so great, but there's lots of different kinds out there.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure literally nothing has universal appeal

khy
Aug 15, 2005

HenryEx posted:

DM's writing is superb, but good writing has never meant that anyone could enjoy it. I'd wager some art films would be way more popular if only the writing matters, but many people can't or don't want to look past whatever "artsyness" they employ that makes them not-mainstream.

I enjoy DM but there's this weirdly unsettling feeling I get when I read it. Part of it is I find the fighter guy and the dwarf guy creepy since the two of them seem to be genuinely more interested in 'How does this monster taste?' than literally anything else, including rescuing the girl they returned to the dungeon for.

Hinamatsuri is fun but the MC and title character can be very unlikable (It reminds me of Teppu in that regard, though it doesn't really have any other similarities beyond that). The supporting cast is FANTASTIC though, especially Hitomi Mishima.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm pretty sure literally nothing has universal appeal
It's me, I do.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fellis posted:

How do you feel about psychological thrillers? There's action, but more in the form of people doing crazy things instead of physical action. If you're cool with that, quantum physics, and a murder mystery then you'll love Qualia the Purple

It's only 18 chapters (and finished!) but each chapter is like 30 pages. It's also pretty nuts and quite a ride from the first major twist.

Just finished it. Pretty nuts is a little bit of an understatement, but it was fun. At least it had a nice ending, even if it left a lot of things unanswered.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Reading Qualia the Purple as the chapters were coming out was one hell of a ride.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Especially when they stopped for like two years.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Captain I, what was that comic with the world ending in the backround that featured a boy and I think an AI girl? It was about 40 chapter IIRC

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Angel Densetsu is a pretty solid all round thing that I'd recommend to most.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bob human being posted:

Captain I, what was that comic with the world ending in the backround that featured a boy and I think an AI girl? It was about 40 chapter IIRC

Ai ren

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, AI Ren. Don't read it unless you're in a good headspace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

It's me, I do.

*checks the most ignored users list* :thinking:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

khy posted:

Just finished it. Pretty nuts is a little bit of an understatement, but it was fun. At least it had a nice ending, even if it left a lot of things unanswered.

Well having read it now, you understand that I had to be ambiguous about what happens in that manga. Not that spoilers ruin the ride, but part of the enjoyment is the dread of wondering just how far Gaku will go.

Also the last 5 chapters or so were untranslated for awhile till some goons decided to heroically tackle it and man that was awesome reading it in real time alongside everyone else.

That Works posted:

Angel Densetsu is a pretty solid all round thing that I'd recommend to most.

This is a good suggestion also, pretty standard shounen with the twist that the hero can't fight but everyone thinks he's an evil badass. It stays with the same joke throughout, but they keep telling it in new ways and the side characters are great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

That is entirely made of people who can't handle undertale, and really, do they even count as people?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, AI Ren. Don't read it unless you're in a good headspace.

It had a happy ending

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Sakurazuka posted:

That's pretty impressive cap'n. I didn't even make the list.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fellis posted:

This is a good suggestion also, pretty standard shounen with the twist that the hero can't fight but everyone thinks he's an evil badass. It stays with the same joke throughout, but they keep telling it in new ways and the side characters are great.

Yup. I loved how what ended up being a 1 joke plot did it so loving well and most of the time out of nowhere that you kinda just laughed while admiring the way it was done. No weird fanservice poo poo, funny overall, good enough artwork, etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Super Doctor K is incredible and I was really expecting this manga to either stop real quick or it to turn out that K has a deadly disease that'll kill him very soon.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hey uhhh guys?

Helck loving rules, thanks for recommending it. I'm on chapter 45 and it's just been a blast. Also, National Quiz was amazing too.

e: Oh poo poo, qualia the purple is done? I remember reading it a while ago and forgetting about it. Time to actually finish it.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 29, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They need to edit Helck out of the OP because I found it to be incredibly mediocre after sixty chapters or so. I can't seem to care about it.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The last battle in Helck got a little mind numbing to me, so I took a break from it. Honestly the rest of the manga is fine with me, so hopefully it's just a misstep.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Plutonis posted:

They need to edit Helck out of the OP because I found it to be incredibly mediocre after sixty chapters or so. I can't seem to care about it.

You could post a new thread if you want

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Helck is very good, because I believe in helck, and piuy, and Anne from management, to save everyone.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Helck should have never gotten serious

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You have to get serious so you can lighten the mood some more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Plutonis posted:

exactly this

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wait helck isn't even in the op tho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Wait helck isn't even in the op tho

i meant the thread title

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh i don't see that on mobile. Yeah take that out singling out one series in rec threads is always bad

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You could post a new thread if you want

Oh oh I'll do it!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean this thread's only 44 pages.

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, the problem with something liek gantz is taht everyone eventually feels compelled to epxlain all the mysteries, and then it gets bad.

Like, cant we ever just have a wierd setting thats just wierd and we dont need to go into detail about how the Island is actually purgatory when telling stories? 99% of the time explaining your crazy setting ruins the story.

...Did you have a stroke while writing this?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 30, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

...Did you have a stroke while writing this?

No, he read Gantz. I understand how you could mix those two up.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

What do you think guys, should we go with "Convince Someone to Read Golden Kamuy in One Image (& other manga I guess)" or "Convince to Read 3: Spoil the Latest Chapter of Your Favorite Manga ITT"?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

don't curse golden kamui by putting it in the thread title imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Erg posted:

don't curse golden kamui by putting it in the thread title imo

Its like the Madden Curse™ but for manga.

• Locked thread