Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Helck is rediculously good for something which I was expecting to be a "ha ha look at this goofy premise" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RabidWeasel posted:

Helck is rediculously good for something which I was expecting to be a "ha ha look at this goofy premise" thing.

nerdz posted:

Helck is really amazing.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I love Helck and I love Helck and I love the insane Helck translator.

AnonSpore posted:

I sat down to read Helck and thought the first few chapters were goofy and amusing but nothing special and then suddenly it's 60 chapters later and there's no more to read and I need more Helck in my life, Helck is awesome, read Helck

Please read Helck it is fantastic.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Please read Helck it is fantastic.

paste this post in the op.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I can't I'm not the OP. I'm sorry but I tried my best.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Wow holy poo poo Helck kind of rules

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'll do you one better.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll do you one better.

Nice work.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Our mod is a good mod.

I haven't read Helck yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its gotten too popular and its fail now

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm reading Helck right now and holy poo poo

It's really good

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Helck Yeah!

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Helck is really nice. The combination of humor and seriousness reminds of The Violinist of Hameln. So here's a few images.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I know about the violinist of hameln is the SNES platformer where you played as the violinist and made the girl use ridiculous costumes with special powers to work like a kirby sidekick. There's ostrich, moon fish, curling puck, UFO and even an atom bomb costume that exploded and killed everything besides the playable chars.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Davincie posted:

Just like K-On!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Just like K-On!

I'm going to ruin you

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The Helck one was pretty funny for the first few chapters until it started taking itself seriously.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pavlov posted:

The Helck one was pretty funny for the first few chapters until it started taking itself seriously.

You stopped reading didn't you, you monster.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I read Helck up to current and while it's by no means bad, the level of enthusiasm in this topic confuses me a bit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
To be serious, it doesn't do anything super unique or special. It just does what it does really well and I appreciate it for that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Clarste posted:

I read Helck up to current and while it's by no means bad, the level of enthusiasm in this topic confuses me a bit.

anne is really cute

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Ancient Magus Bride, a series about a girl with a terminally powerful magical strength that will one day kill her, and the man(?) who saved her from a human auction where she would have been sold as a wizard's experimental tool. It follows them as she begins her journey on becoming a magic user, and learns about the world of the fey and supernatural, as well as Elias as he tries to find a way to cure her of her deadly magic. It's a very serene, somewhat melancholic series, but also has plenty of hope to it, and the setpieces in this very-much-european supernatural world of mages and fairies are gorgeous, often carrying a sense of danger or dread alongside them at the same time.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

To be serious, it doesn't do anything super unique or special. It just does what it does really well and I appreciate it for that.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on it so well. It starts to feel a little more like a standard fantasy story after the pure comedy of the first arc, but by the time the novelty of the tournament went away I just found the cast endearing enough to want to keep reading.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Clarste posted:

Been enjoying Helck, I feel its got a nice brisk pace to the chapters so it never really drags on on dull things too long.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

pandaK posted:

gleipnir

:stare:

What the gently caress

drat. This one's pretty bad with the fanservice, but it's pretty cool somehow. Mostly due to the main girl's :black101: attitude.
I hope it stays as hosed up as the end of chapter 4 indicates

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Torquemadras posted:

:stare:

What the gently caress

drat. This one's pretty bad with the fanservice, but it's pretty cool somehow. Mostly due to the main girl's :black101: attitude.
I hope it stays as hosed up as the end of chapter 4 indicates

"Shinji you gotta become the robot"

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm all caught up on Helck now.

gently caress.

I hope these updates keep coming out as frequently as they have and don't drop off anytime soon.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's been like six updates in the past two days. The translator is basically a robot who exists only to translate Helck.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm all caught up on Helck now.

gently caress.

I hope these updates keep coming out as frequently as they have and don't drop off anytime soon.

Helck is weekly and you guys are almost caught up (newest chapter is the second half of chapter 60, which came out a few days ago) so get ready to suffer, as I have suffered

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Helck!

I need somebody.

Helck!

Not just anybody.

Helck!

You know I need someone.

He~eee~eelck!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like how knowing how this flashback ends up due to earlier chapters makes me even more pumped and on pins and needles to see how it plays out.

Helck so good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 14, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, this explains why he wasn't willing to attack that one awakened hero. His friend probably didn't have a choice and certainly isn't in control of his actions now.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

chumbler posted:

I like how knowing how this flashback ends up due to earlier chapters makes me even more pumped and on pins and needles to see how it plays out.

Helck so good.
Yeah I read it now, it really is so good.

Maybe we should stop praising it so much at some point so that this thread doesn't get hijacked by multiple pages of Helck though.

... Nah.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, this explains why he wasn't willing to attack that one awakened hero. His friend probably didn't have a choice and certainly isn't in control of his actions now.

I think he knew that they respawn when killed and will only grow stronger for it.

Is there a Helck thread yet? I guess I can just go look.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There isn't.

Yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If I made a Helck thread the OP would just be the panel of Vamirio saying it's good, so I won't make the Helck thread.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I will make the Helck thread.

I have the perfect title for it and everything.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I will make the Helck thread.

I have the perfect title for it and everything.

I assume the title is "Helck".

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

It's actually "HELCK: He-Man Wants to Destroy Humanity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's a lame title

• Locked thread