Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Powerstone posted:

Oh god is that Anime School Girl Motorcycle Stig?

Yes, Raimu from Bakuon!! is exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san

It's a cute slice of life about a country bumpkin girl who comes to Kyoto to train as a Maiko, but she sucks at it and ends up becoming the live-in cook for the whole boarding house instead.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

khy posted:

Preferrably something with some action, but also avoiding fanservicey stuff. I often prefer more fantastic or sci-fi series to more realistic ones. Any suggestions?

Have you read Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction? It guess it's pretty real-worldey most of the time, but it's a sci-fi that mostly centers around the lives of a few high school - college age people living in a near future Tokyo with a giant alien spacecraft hanging over the city and occasionally sending down "invaders". There's a smattering of violence and action once you get into it further, the plot builds well, the author (Inio Asano, amazing artist) gets into a lot of cynical political/social commentary, and the characters are really fun. One of my favorite ongoing series, though it might end in some horribly depressing way like the authors' other work.

edit: Seconding Nate's rec below, Yona is a great fantasy series.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 26, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Like, cant we ever just have a wierd setting thats just wierd and we dont need to go into detail about how the Island is actually purgatory when telling stories? 99% of the time explaining your crazy setting ruins the story.

Agreed. A good example is Haibane Renmei; the setting stays compelling and interesting because the audience never gets any omniscient-viewpoint explanations, so we get to empathize more with the characters who are equally confused and unsure about everything.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I suppose if I had to rec something to Generic Person X who doesn't know what they want, it would be Hinamatsuri.

None of these people are main characters and the manga isn't about school life, but the author doesn't walk away from telling a good joke.

• Locked thread