Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Voynich Hotel by Dowman Sayman

What's the deal with this thread?

This thread is the second in a line of threads dedicated to getting other people to read the manga you read buy enticing them with interest-piquing images. Think of it as a sort of reverse recommendations thread where instead of asking what's good, people hand out free samples.

Ran and the Gray World / Ran to Haiiro no Sekai by Irie Aki

Where did it come from?

The idea for this thread was stolen borrowed from a recurring thread on 4chan's /a/ board where, much like the title suggests, people tried to get other people to read stuff by posting a single image they felt in some way encapsulated or properly showed off the series in question. It's a neat idea, I think, though we've tweaked it some.

Imperial Guards / Koukoku no Shugosha by Satou Daisuke and Itou Yuu

Can I really only use one image?

Well, yes and no. I haven't been, as you can see. Convincing people to read a manga in one "Scene" might be a better description.

The problem with limiting people to a single page, a single image, is that sometimes you get comics that aren't so easily compacted. Either they've got no single image that really shouts "Yes, this is what the series is and what it's about," or they do but it requires a few pages of setup to get there. At the same time, however, I like the spirit of the one image rule because it forces people to come up with the equivalent of an elevator pitch to hook people instead of posting long walls of text about why you should read something accompanied by a dozen images from across the series.

The compromise, then, is get people hooked with a single scene. Sometimes that means a single page, sometimes it means a couple. I'm willing to be flexible, just don't post whole chapters.

Pandemonium: The Village of Wizards / Pandemonium: Majutsushi no Mura by Shibamoto Sho

What kind of stuff is good to post?

Depends. Personally, I really like pages that show off the art of the series.

Reading something action-y? Post a cool fight sequence. Reading a romance? Post something that makes your hear melt. Reading a comedy? Post something funny. Reading something really weird? Post something out of context!

If you're considering posting a more dramatic or poignant moment, however, consider first whether it carries any emotional weight in a vacuum. A lot of people use threads like these to learn about series they'd otherwise miss out on, so posting the gripping conclusion to a character's arc may not grab someone who isn't familiar with everything leading up to that point.

It should go without saying that you shouldn't post spoilers.

Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa / Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa by Fukumoto Nobuyuki

Anything else I should be aware of?

Images should be SFW (even if the series in question isn't) and posted in [timg] format if you're posting a bunch. Additionally, you should provide a name for whatever series you're posting. If the manga you're sharing is unlicensed, I will permit the inclusion of links to sites where it may be read. If the manga you're sharing IS licensed, I will probate you for doing this. For the sake of simplicity, anything available in print in English counts as licensed. Sorry to all our French, German, Korean posters, etc.

While there isn't a moratorium on any particular series being posted, I'd like to ask that you guys shy away from more mainstream material. Most people are familiar with things like One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan, so maybe don't post things I've seen people wear shirts and jackets from in college. Seriously, I spent a semester behind a guy who openly wore a scouting legion jacket to class. Consider instead posting stuff maybe not everyone has already read or discovered, or might not give the time of day to ordinarily.

Finally, before you recommend anything, I would like to ask that you first scroll up the page to see whether or not it's been recommended recently. I don't mind a few different people recommending the same series with different images over the course of the thread, but I've seen two to five people post the same series on the same page of the old thread. Don't do that!

:supaburn: :siren: DON'T HOTLINK IMAGES!!! :siren: :supaburn:

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fellis posted:

Also people should post links to scanlations if they aren't published elsewhere
I've already made allowances for this in the OP.

Also,

Sharkopath posted:

There is no image.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Read the OP.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Manga is the Japanese word for comics, hope this helps.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Felt like a natural enough ending to me. Pretty much everything was wrapped up neatly.

Wish we could've had one last scene with the cook and the hotel manager together but I wouldn't really consider that a dangling plot thread or anything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Anatharon I realize you're doing this inadvertently, but Bokurano is a licensed series so please stop hotlinking images with watermarks leading to where they can be read online.

EDIT: Really you guys shouldn't be hotlinking in general, but especially not in this case. I'll add it to the OP.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please only recommend manga in the manga recommendations thread.

Please also read the OP to understand whatever new rules and circumstances are strange and frightening to you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This post will be slightly large but somewhat important. Please read it before continuing to post in this thread.

So yeah, page limits. I didn't want to slap a hard number on this because I know from experience it can vary, but generally speaking 1-3 is probably the optimum amount of pages to post. In the OP where I recommend Imperial Guards I probably could've just stuck with the first two pages, but included the other three because I wanted to contrast the colored art of the series with the more sparse style of most chapters. Also because those fleeting moments of downtime and small side-conversations among soldiers are one of the little things I think make the series great. I absolutely don't regret posting 5 pages for Ran and the Gray World, since I think the overall flow and conclusion of that scene is good and important.

In most cases though, unless you've got a particularly strong visual narrative on display, I would say to post no more than 3 pages per series. I won't really crack down on this though since it's largely self-policing. Most people simply won't read past the first 3 pages (though I do).

Regarding the quality of those pages, that's really on the heads of individual posters. The last thread had this problem too and I didn't expect it to go away. All I'll ask is please, before you post anything, look back at what you're posting and ask yourself: "If I knew nothing about this series whatsoever, would these pages convince me to check it out?"

C.M. Kruger posted:

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction
This is a good page. Without knowing or looking up anything about it, I've already got a feel for the art, content, and tone of the work. I am convinced. I'll read it sometime. This is a bad page. The art isn't particularly impressive and it tells me nothing about anything. It's possible this is supposed to be some big dramatic moment or something, but I have no context. I am not convinced.

Regarding Korean and Chinese comics/webcomics, I'll permit their inclusion since there's really no other place on the forums to discuss or share them that I'm aware of besides one or two threads in here, but I have to be honest and say with two exceptions I've never seen anyone post anything evenly remotely interesting in either of these two categories. There may be a wealth of good Korean and Chinese comics, but their proponents thus far have not done a great job promoting them in any engaging way.

Regarding American and European comics/webcomics, I don't want those posted here because you people have an entire other subforum dedicated to those. You also have this thread here if you feel the need to evangelize. This thread is for manga; ideally manga most people haven't read already. I also find it more than just a little bit disingenuous to post Western works in here when posting anything even remotely Japanese is more than occasionally met with hostility and derision elsewhere - not that that's the fault or responsibility of any one poster, or even perpetuated by any posters here. All the same, you have your place and we have ours. Don't cross the streams.

You may PM me if you have any further questions or complaints. I'd prefer it if this thread didn't get clogged up with people arguing over things.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Plutonis if you're gonna recommend a bunch of stuff in one sitting I'd appreciate if you did it all in one post.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you're posting more than one image, use [timg].

Thanks in advance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MrCinos posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika
This series has been recommended three times since this thread's inception; twice by you, both times on the same page not even five posts apart.

Please don't do this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I started reading National Quiz yesterday and it's insane.

I think my favorite little touch is the all commercial breaks they keep taking.

EDIT: Finished. Holy moly. Dunno how I feel about the ending but otherwise it was great.

EDIT: After thinking about the ending, I've decided I really like it.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 21, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

paste this post in the op.
I'll do you one better.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Davincie posted:

its gotten too popular and its fail now
Just like K-On!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Helck!

I need somebody.

Helck!

Not just anybody.

Helck!

You know I need someone.

He~eee~eelck!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There isn't.

Yet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Golden Kamui is fantastic because at first you think it's gonna be this dark and gritty action-packed historical piece but 90% of the time it's just Sugimoto being a complete doof while Asirpa lectures him on Ainu customs and traditions in between convincing him to eat weird stuff.

Translations are picking up for it so if there's enough interest I might even make a thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's only ironically fetishistic.

*100 pages of sweaty, pulsating butts.*

He's just trying to make ends meet so he can fund his Southern Blues comic thing that nobody reads.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Talking vaginas

It's not ironic, but it is self aware in a fantastic way

Also, tits

Sharkopath posted:

Me And The Devil Blues is something he really does love doing, he was sad when he had to stop, but he has his roots as a wierd comedy artist so he also likes doing the prison school comic too.

Sharkopath posted:

Acting like Me And The Devil Blues is ancillary is lame, just because nobody is bothering to translate it.
I haven't read either of them and don't know much about the author in general, I was just jokingly referencing this post from forever ago:

pentyne posted:

There's not enough emphasis of Me and the Devil Blues.

Literally everything about Prison school seemed like "Okay you fuckers, my dream manga got cancelled because it wasn't 'mainstream', well then I'll give you exactly what you disgusting assholes want, and I will push every boundary I can out of spite and shove every kind of fanservice possible down your throats,"

It's literally the most blatant successful cash-in to finance a passion project I've ever seen and I wholly expect the author to secure a Devils Blue contract and then wrap up Prison School in a few chapters with a giant "gently caress you" to its fans.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Blhue posted:

No that was just an old adtrw fan-theory so people could read a smutty thing without thinking they were weird
I'm aware.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Why.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I will not ban you for posting a picture of Me and the Devil Blues.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Zorak can never hurt you again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I think it's okay to post a page or two from a licensed work, especially if it's in the interest of drumming up readership and support for said licensed work, just don't be throwing around links to places where people can read them for free.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kuro's good.

If you're not already reading it, DON'T.

Wait until it's finished.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Namtab NO.

I was trying to spare you the terrors of this literary limbo.

What have you done.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As long as there is some way to access or identify the series being recommended, it's kosher.

Give a title, provide a link, whatever. Let's not fight about this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Davincie, expert at terrible bad habits!
Gonna rename this thread Davincie Always Links the Series He's Posting in the First Picture, Stop Derailing the Thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd rather he did that too but I don't think hounding him about for several posts is the answer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No Guns Life rules because the corporate cabal that runs things from behind the scenes tries to bribe the main character by buying up every last pack of his favorite brand of cigarettes in the entire city and offering them in exchange for the person he's protecting.

I mean, okay, there's a little more to it than that, but the scene in concept still gives me a chuckle.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you're not gonna pull a Davincie and sneak a link in there, please include the name of the series you're showcasing.

Also, don't hotlink.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like the idea of playing around with the format to account for scrolling down on your phone, but I've never seen any comic do so in a way I didn't hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It ended awhile ago.

• Locked thread