Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Eeevil posted:

+a no Tachiichi

This one's pretty good. It's about two girls who get thrown into a magical kingdom-type setting. The gimmick is that the main character is the standard chosen-one-who-will-save-us-all type thing, but since she's fairly plain and her friend is basically The Prettiest Most Humble Anime Schoolgirl Ever everyone thinks it's her who has the powers, and the main character is demoted to background status. The comic so far is the MC desperately trying to keep up the charade and keep them both alive, as all the other characters try to manipulate/mack on the powerless friend. It's nothing revolutionary but it manages the "main character is aware of anime tropes" thing without it being trite or insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Biomeat is great and kind of gave me a big Speilberg/disaster movie vibe, with the plucky young kids saving the day from the dumb adults who get eaten to gently caress. The 'sequel' of the second act even feels like a sequel you'd see in that kind of genre where they dial it up 200%.

"Surely this time the highly-destructive bioweapon will not escape containment and run out of contr oh gently caress."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Kaguya-sama is real good but urrrrrrgh translation teams that come from chans can be so obnoxious.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I will admit I've not read many romantic comedy series (this, a couple of others, maybe Love Hina like a decade ago); what's the archetypal example of a rom-com series never ending and just teasing endlessly?

Pavlov posted:

Yeah I get that. It's kind of starts losing the whole mindgames premise as it goes on too, and just runs with the goofy highschool awkwardness.
I've not dropped it for that exact reason really; the main pair definitely have changed since the series started. Even if the mind-games end we'll still have the narrator. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
People keep mentioning Konosuba a lot so somebody should post some images to convince me to read it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm a god drat sucker for "idiot high-schoolers get into trouble and gently caress up a lot" so that's going on the reading pile with Kaguya and Truthisms.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Magi should have stayed the fantastical adventures of Aladdin, Ali Baba and Morgan going through dungeons and poo poo and having fun, instead of whatever it turned into when I eventually gave up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There was a comparison that kept intruding on me whenever this stuff was brought up and I finally figured out what it was: Western military sci-fi.

Basically two entire genres filled with reactionary reprobate garbage with only a few standout jewels buoying it up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't recall when it went all-in 200% on laserbeams and eye-powers but until it did Naruto had really good action. I have some pretty strong memories of a ton of well-drawn and actually clever fights until around about the big timeskip.

• Locked thread