Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

whats a good scotch you like

This one

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Thanks, Zoglin!

Now I want peaty scotch. It's been a while. Laphroaig quarter cask is so good.

Is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Oktoberfest is over so I'm abstaining from beer for 5 months.

I can't drink hard liquor without coke or something in it.

Lots of people are like that and it's cool, it's all a matter of taste. Hard biting alcohols are often kinda gross.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

*takes sip of moonshine out of a mason jar* lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macallan 18, but it's 300 dollars a bottle and not worth it unless you know someone who will give you a drink for free.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

do you think Micchan would like fireball?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

This one

Is good.

I don't know that I'd recommend Laphroaig Quarter Cask to someone who doesn't drink whisky, because it's very peaty and it's stronger (and more expensive) than non-QC whisky. You're better off starting with just the regular 10 year old Laphroaig if you want to try something equally peaty but less expensive, that way if you don't like it it won't be as big a hole in your pocket.

On the non-peat side Macallan 12 is really good but it's a bit pricey.

K. Flaps posted:

That's okay, you have the decency to recognise that you shouldn't put mixers in single malt.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

*takes sip of moonshine out of a mason jar* lol

are you my neighbor?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Most scotch is really pricey. The first I ever had was Johnny Walker Red Label and that's probably still a fine option and it's cheaper than most. It's like the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) of scotch.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I have absolutely no taste for booze. About all I reliably like is stuff that doesn't taste like booze anyway, like cream drinks or margaritas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a big fan of whiskey and bourbon and like to drink it straight generally. I tried scotch once (Johnny Walker black label) but wasn't big on it. Might have to give it another shot someday.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
three letter spirits are best.

Rum, rye, gin.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Beer is the best though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Sharkopath posted:

now im reading peoples beer reviews and they all sound crazy, this is a different world from the one i live in

that review you posted all makes sense to me so definitely

Everyone's a normie in their own way

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

chumbler posted:

I'm a big fan of whiskey and bourbon and like to drink it straight generally. I tried scotch once (Johnny Walker black label) but wasn't big on it. Might have to give it another shot someday.

Johnny walker is blended scotch, try a single malt next time.

Red label johnny walker is rear end dont drink it, scotch is a liquor you have to pay for because you don't mix it

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm with Yuki, the smoky stuff is a bit much for me but Glenlivet 18 is amazing. It's smooth as silk, a bit grassy/flowery, and makes you feel like someone stuffed some of those chemical hand-warmers into your chest. So good when it's cold outside.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I tried Talisker recently and it was a smoke bomb but I liked it. Wish I had tried Laphroaig too now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like ardbeg. a good scotch smells like rocket fuel but tastes like warmth and all that is good in the world.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blhue posted:

I like ardbeg. a good scotch smells like rocket fuel but tastes like warmth and all that is good in the world.

Likewise for bourbon, but it also tastes like rocket fuel and all that is good in the world. But then I got through the end of grad school on a healthy diet of bottom shelf rotgut.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Bulleit rye is a good rye whiskey people should try. I usually use an ice cube to take the edge off. Pretty bottle also.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What IS this thread?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Grouchio posted:

What IS this thread?

A very good thread.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

What IS this thread?

What are any of us? Whoa

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

What IS this thread?

It's the Zoglin thread for Zoglin to post the comics in.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

chumbler posted:

I tried scotch once (Johnny Walker black label) but wasn't big on it. Might have to give it another shot someday.

A small splash of water actually gives a scotch a very different experience.

I would never have believed this until I toured one of the distilleries in Scotland and tried the same scotch with and without a splash.

The problem, though, is getting the right amount of water. Too little and it doesn't make much difference. Too much, and it tastes like rear end.

Of course, you can solve the too much water problem by just adding more scotch. :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was always taught that ideally you should always add a splash of the same spring water used by the distillery to your scotch, but it's of course impossible to do unless you live down the road from the distillery, so you usually have to settle for a splash of mineral water instead.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I was always taught that ideally you should always add a splash of the same spring water used by the distillery to your scotch, but it's of course impossible to do unless you live down the road from the distillery, so you usually have to settle for a splash of mineral water instead.

Yeah, I stand amazed that no smart marketer has realized that he could bottle the water that the distillery uses and sell it for almost the same price as the scotch.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I just realized that the thread tag is Snorlax, which is amazing and incredibly apt.

This stuff is slow going when I don't have lots of time off work :smith:

Something other than Girls Drinking this time, though there is still a Girl Drinking in it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

I just realized that the thread tag is Snorlax, which is amazing and incredibly apt.

Something other than Girls Drinking this time, though there is still a Girl Drinking in it.

More Aki Eda Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

z0glin Warchief posted:

Take your time buddy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:yeah:

This is good, thanks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

You do a great job with these, no need to rush it

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

zoglin for what it's worth, i immediately knew what the japanese pun was when i read pork-e so i think it worked pretty well.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Also from the translation notes: I'm curious as to what the common reading of East/Cloud as a surname would be, assuming it exists, since Shinonome is an uncommon one. Google translate (for what little that's worth) tells me "東雲" just translates to "dawn."

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also from the translation notes: I'm curious as to what the common reading of East/Cloud as a surname would be, assuming it exists, since Shinonome is an uncommon one. Google translate (for what little that's worth) tells me "東雲" just translates to "dawn."

It doesn't! It can also be read as Touun, but really only in place names. It's just not a very common combo, though individually(/in other compounds) they come up all the time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

though individually(/in other compounds) they come up all the time.

Yeah, I figured. Thanks for the information!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Are you out of drinking girls chapters to translate until volume 2 comes out now? Not trying to pressure you, just curious.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nope, three left (11, 12, and 13). 11 should be done in the next couple of days.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I crave more Wizard's Soul.

I want to watch Ichinose become queen of the card gaming world, and take Sakurai as her consort.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tarezax posted:

I crave more Wizard's Soul.

I want to watch Ichinose become queen of the card gaming world, and take Sakurai as her consort.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope Wizard's Soul concludes with her realising the folly of her Blue ways and changing to a better colour, like literally anything else, even White.

• Locked thread