Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i want her to be crowned empress of the card games, seated upon a throne of skulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I hope Wizard's Soul concludes with her realising the folly of her Blue ways and changing to a better colour, like literally anything else, even White.

No, she should learn the ways of ultimate dickery: Blue Black. :unsmigghh:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
She should be nice instead.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i like the core of the story that is following a nice person having to be a relentless jerk because of circumstances. she hates it, everyone hates it, except her boyfriend who is now fantasizing about her brutally stepping on his face, but she has to do it because her dad is thousands of dollars in debt

plus I like the moments where she plays some sort of useless scrub tier common card to seize victory, like it's neat that iirc she hasn't played so much as a modestly heavy monster card

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I can't self-insert into her love-interest because he's a massive M and I'm a sadistic psycho.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

i like the core of the story that is following a nice person having to be a relentless jerk because of circumstances. she hates it, everyone hates it, except her boyfriend who is now fantasizing about her brutally stepping on his face, but she has to do it because her dad is thousands of dollars in debt

plus I like the moments where she plays some sort of useless scrub tier common card to seize victory, like it's neat that iirc she hasn't played so much as a modestly heavy monster card

It's seems more like she's playing seemingly "oddball" cards, but only because no one is playing permission control like she is so cards that only work for that strategy don't show up in the meta. It's a strange meta tbh since that sort of control is just really good in general unless a very fast aggro exists (and then the rock-paper-scissors thing in meta archetypes shows up).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

I can't self-insert into her love-interest because he's a massive M and I'm a sadistic psycho.

Same.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Well since y'all were talking about it...

I'll put it up on batoto later, after I have some to time to check it when it's not four am aaaaaa

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'll put it up on batoto later, after I have some to time to check it when it's not four am aaaaaa

Thank you, zoglin, for posting the zoglin comics

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I appreciated the notes on terminology; most of it I'd kinda gotten the gist of from context but that clarified some things.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like Ohta and I hope she keeps showing up as a rival to Manaka.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Man she is playing the permissionest permission to ever permission.

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'm also not sure how I feel about how this point because it's definitely how the game is being presented but from the perspective of someone who plays these games somewhat seriously, she's not actually doing anything assholish at all. She's playing a game, and using a deck and a strategy to play that game. Her deck and strategy is slow as all hell, but that doesn't make anything she's doing actually malicious. It's a very scrub tier mentality from everyone around her that her strategy and way of playing is nasty and bad, which makes sense because they're all bad scrubs who are bad at the game.

Basically (if my memory is serving me right of this very short comic), notice the difference in perspective that the peanut gallery has to her playing and her actual opponents.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

yay new chapter! :swoon:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm so glad she stomped Ouji after those girls pulled that "here's her decklist" crap. also yeah, i'm not even a big tcg player and the permission stuff is just legitimate strategy. i'm sure it sucks to run into unprepared, but card games are already a bunch of luck and not necessarily knowing your opponent's tools. i feel bad that she keeps getting bullied over it.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I kinda like how they treat it as an rear end in a top hat thing in this universe. It's just funny to me because it's like a joke in MtG that people who play blue decks are lame, but in a world where the card game is super important that gets escalated.

It's nice to see her struggle with having to play this way, and seeing the nice quiet girl looked upon like some kind of demon.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah i think taking the manga in the context of normie world makes it seem odd, but in their world permission is a lost archetype that isn't known or popular and not flashy for tcg celebritites to have their playstyle make an impact

Gyra_Solune posted:

This and playing the deck is giving her ptsd from her dying mother annihilating a little girl at a card game instead of being a mom so she can't even be happy at winning till she goes to the shadow realm and fights satan for her moms soul

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it makes for a good conflict, and i'm not incapable of getting into that mindset, it just bugs me that Manaka gets treated like crap for it. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Twiddy posted:

but from the perspective of someone who plays these games somewhat seriously, she's not actually doing anything assholish at all.

No, she's playing assholish decks that are designed to win by making GBS threads all over her opponent's ability to do anything (which is not in any way fun to be on the receiving end of), and on top of that she's just stone-faced and looks miserable throughout the entire game. She's definitely not exhibiting the pinnacle of good sportsmanship, and just because real-life M:tG tournaments are that competitive doesn't mean her behaviour is okay. The Netrunner competitive scene gets by just fine with people being friendly at tournaments, for example (and also doesn't really have deck archetypes that prevent the opponent from acting).

Also, janky doesn't really mean "bad," it just means "only works in an incredibly narrow set of situations." :v:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, she's playing assholish decks that are designed to win by making GBS threads all over her opponent's ability to do anything (which is not in any way fun to be on the receiving end of), and on top of that she's just stone-faced and looks miserable throughout the entire game. She's definitely not exhibiting the pinnacle of good sportsmanship, and just because real-life M:tG tournaments are assholishly competitive doesn't mean her behaviour is totally okay.

Also, janky doesn't really mean "bad," it just means "only works in an incredibly narrow set of situations." :v:

Plus again this is a world where this card game is like, the basis for society so presumably there's some sort of untold honor and morality about it, since it's not just the hyper-competitive who get into it, but instead basically every normal person around. After all what's-his-face was literally going to university for this game - it's clearly something people put a ton of their lives and futures into.

Manaka's doing the equivalent of those companies that buy up other companies, suck all the blood they can out of it, then leave it to die. Not really illegal, and a genuine strategy to acquire greater wealth, but basically everyone is going to tell you that the kind of people who'd do those kinds of things are giant heartless scumbags.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, she's playing assholish decks that are designed to win by making GBS threads all over her opponent's ability to do anything (which is not in any way fun to be on the receiving end of), and on top of that she's just stone-faced and looks miserable throughout the entire game.
Oh no she's using her deck designed to shut down opponents as it's meant to be used, she's being a lovely person.

I'm honestly not gonna dignify this any further, this is just a hilarious mentality. I play both Netrunner and MtG, it's not a problem that's a difference between mindsets of both communities, it's bad players applying moral ethics to legitimate play styles because they're bad.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Like if we want to get into discussions about lovely, scummy behavior that exists in card games (that I will admit that I see a lot more of in MtG than in Netrunner) we can talk about misleading the other player like the infamous, "I use Profane Command to give fear to all my legal targets" implying that the player gave Chameleon Colossus fear so that the other player would misplay. THAT'S scummy and is manipulating information around the actual gameplay in order to obfuscate the game state and create a bad feeling (also technically within the rules of the game, because I guess WotC doesn't want to go down the road of enforcing moral behavior, or even trying to set that standard of morality around it).

Choosing to play a permission deck, playing it well, and being somewhat stone-faced about it is nothing like that.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah I don't think her deck itself is scummy or her attitude or w/e in our world where it's literally just a childrens game but it makes more sense in the context of the established world

She's p much playing a heels deck and would be the antagonist in the typical sports genre

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's nothing stopping everyone else from also playing permission decks. It's not Manaka's fault if no one else knows how to deal with a legitimate strategy.

See also: Fighting games

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

z0glin Warchief posted:

Praise be!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wow, magic the gathering is not a childrens game

also i played blue

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Like if we want to get into discussions about lovely, scummy behavior that exists in card games (that I will admit that I see a lot more of in MtG than in Netrunner) we can talk about misleading the other player like the infamous, "I use Profane Command to give fear to all my legal targets" implying that the player gave Chameleon Colossus fear so that the other player would misplay. THAT'S scummy and is manipulating information around the actual gameplay in order to obfuscate the game state and create a bad feeling (also technically within the rules of the game, because I guess WotC doesn't want to go down the road of enforcing moral behavior, or even trying to set that standard of morality around it).

Choosing to play a permission deck, playing it well, and being somewhat stone-faced about it is nothing like that.

It's basically like Poker. Being stonefaced isn't scummy or bad. It's just making sure the opponent can't read your plays.

As for the control cards, from what I can tell, it's not a completely Blue control. To do stuff like she did, it'd probably be UBR (Grixis, Blue, Black, Red) since both Red and Blue "steal" creatures, but Blue doesn't give them back unlike Red (Red also gives Haste to creatures it's stolen) so at first glance, it's clearly a control that's predominantly Blue, but there's definitely a splash of Red and Black in there. Likely more Black than Red given that Blue doesn't have a destructive board wipe (there's board wipe via bounce however). Black and White can do that sort of wipe though and Black is also in the realm of Milling while White is also in the realm of Permission Control. Obviously it's not clear how the color pie in this game is divided up, but in MtG terms, it'd likely be UB (Blue/Black) with a bit of Red.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah I don't think her deck itself is scummy or her attitude or w/e in our world where it's literally just a childrens game but it makes more sense in the context of the established world

She's p much playing a heels deck and would be the antagonist in the typical sports genre

For whatever reason, the meta in that world and region doesn't use that sort of control. It's bizarre.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

There's nothing stopping everyone else from also playing permission decks. It's not Manaka's fault if no one else knows how to deal with a legitimate strategy.

See also: Fighting games

Permission control is a legit strategy that falls apart to super fast aggro. i.e. getting out more threats and more damage, more often than the opponent can handle them or stop them. Of course, it's an archetype that loses to any sort of deck that can stall or put up a sufficient defense such that the aggro deck just runs out of steam. It's the type of deck the hot-blooded character in a shonen card game series might use.

See also: Hearthstone

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Actually the best current analogue I can think of for this deck might be Modern Grixis Control before that became a major player in the meta or Modern Lantern Control, which would make her the people's hero.

Player psychology can be really weird sometimes.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
People like MTG style games because it lets them use a bunch of cool monsters and spells. Permission/Control is the strategy of not not letting people use their monsters and spells. It's not too hard to see why a lot of people don't like it. I don't care too much for MTG, but when I played, I tried to play like protagonist girl, because if I'm not going to have fun, no one is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Red/green with big stompy critters is the only honorable way to play MtG.

Goblins are also acceptable.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Pavlov posted:

People like MTG style games because it lets them use a bunch of cool monsters and spells. Permission/Control is the strategy of not not letting people use their monsters and spells. It's not too hard to see why a lot of people don't like it. I don't care too much for MTG, but when I played, I tried to play like protagonist girl, because if I'm not going to have fun, no one is.
Oh yeah players in real life also get mad at control strategies all the time. That doesn't make their gripes legitimate. Again, it's fairly notable that it's the peanut gallery that are the ones going "ugh what a nasty strategy what a nasty person" and the successful players are going "I didn't think that deck was good in this meta, odd choice."

It's a difference in mentality that ends up making the difference between a successful and unsuccessful player. With that let's go back and look at the original post I quoted:

Gyra_Solune posted:

She isn't being a relentless jerk, that is the general perception of the unwashed masses upon her play style, which she agonizes over because she plays a lot of new/low level players (kids, bad classmates) and she has complex issues relating to the strategy because of her mom. Her feelings toward herself are not indicative of what she should be feeling at all, especially when she's playing against professionals.

EDIT: That said I guess calling out that point as wrong isn't fair, since she does do some things that are quite cold (taking all her crush' pro point things is kinda low out of context).

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 21, 2015

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

chumbler posted:

Whiners gonna whine.

They labeled Steinitz as cowardly for playing positional chess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

The best way is Midrange. Enough firepower to make creatures unignorable, enough removal to deny them a board.

The only thing more infuriating than Permission control is Permission control with Land destruction.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The best way is Midrange. Enough firepower to make creatures unignorable, enough removal to deny them a board.

The only thing more infuriating than Permission control is Permission control with Land destruction.
But if you're playing midrange then you're playing whatever broken creature is in the format (Tarmogoyf, Thragtusk, Siege Rhino) and you're just a pay2win player.

Basically the only consistent line between all the most hated decks throughout history is that they were the best deck.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Twiddy posted:

She isn't being a relentless jerk, that is the general perception of the unwashed masses upon her play style, which she agonizes over because she plays a lot of new/low level players (kids, bad classmates) and she has complex issues relating to the strategy because of her mom. Her feelings toward herself are not indicative of what she should be feeling at all, especially when she's playing against professionals.

EDIT: That said I guess calling out that point as wrong isn't fair, since she does do some things that are quite cold (taking all her crush' pro point things is kinda low out of context).

The main thing is that she feels like she's being a relentless jerk. That's what matters for the story's purpose.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The main thing is that she feels like she's being a relentless jerk. That's what matters for the story's purpose.
I mean, yes and no. It's what's central to her character and how she feels about herself, but ignoring the professional viewpoint isn't gonna help people understand the story. That obviously depends on where the story goes, but I doubt it's gonna be about her descent into evil via playing control or about her becoming saved from her assholish control playing nature. One thing she's probably going to come to grips with in the story (in one form or another) is that there's nothing wrong with playing well and playing permission, and that's because there's nothing wrong with it in the real world either.

Basically, the post I quoted framed it as a story where a good girl is doing bad things because of necessity, which while partially true (again, all of a sudden stealing all her not-boyfriends pro points out of nowhere), but the permission playing interacts with that in an interesting way because it has a certain perception of being bad, but is really just another way to play the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm an rear end in a top hat who plays outdated mechanics like Shadow or Phasing. For fun. Funny enough, my most popular deck to play against is my Snow deck. People just love it, even though it's kind of mediocre. And not in a "I can finally beat the poo poo out of you" way either. We start saying as many ice and snow puns as we can think of.

What I'm saying is that I'm a Yugioh character in real life. "You don't stand... the ghost of a chance!"

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you're going to love the next opponent in wizard's soul then

i fear for the flood of cat puns to come

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

you're going to love the next opponent in wizard's soul then

i fear for the flood of cat puns to come
Ruh roh. I look forward to how many words I'm gonna have to eat as the comic goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I played a grand total of one game of MTG and Wizard's Soul is extremely my poo poo. Thank you Zoglin.

• Locked thread