Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Davincie posted:

congratulations to zoglin, volume 2 of love is hard for otaku is out and it is the best selling manga of the week with a whopping 208.000 copies sold

Hey guess what good timing! Here's the rest of volume one!

Volume two of Drinking Girls is out too! And I have free time now! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Just so we're clear there are two chapters there, 5.1 and 5.5. They'll be up on batoto whenever their mod approves them.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thanks for the comics, zoglin!

e; the translator "wotes" for 5.1 have a couple of typoes: "don't EVEN tell me know don't know" in the last paragraph, and that paragraph is also missing a word.

Eep! Thanks, should be fixed now I think. This is what I get for doing this at 7 am :negative:

Advice/criticism/pointing out mistakes/etc. is always very welcome!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Drink!

It'll be up on batoto later.

e; German-speaking goons please yell about my mistakes, idkwtf im doing

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Do they make the Prosit/Prost mistake in the original Japanese? Because if not, the toast is Prost, even though it is derived from the latin Prosit (thanks, Wikipedia).

Yeah, Japan seems to always spell it Prosit (that's how it's spelled in the dictionaries I see: http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/prosit, http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=prosit, http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%83%E3%83%88, https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-622467), but I guess if that's wrong it's wrong! Maybe I'll leave it that way in the dialogue and make a note about it?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe a result of the fact that you can't have two consonants one after the other in Japanese? I'd make it Prost and put a note in the TNs about Prosit/Prost and how Japan spells it.

Further research seems to show that Prost is recognized and has different katakana than Prosit (プロースト & プロージット), but everyone seems to think both are equally correct...and end up using Prosit just because (maybe because LotGH used it, and that seems to have kick-started the trend of saying it in Japan). It's not too uncommon for Japan to have mistaken/out-of-date knowledge on foreign words like that.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nerds in color!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thanks for the comics, zoglin. :toot:

Not really a mistake but this feels like it should read "It really pisses me off how you always try to play the 'normal person' even though you're an otaku, too!" to flow better.

Uuuuhg I meant to give that line another look before I posted, crap. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll mess with it before it goes on batoto. One of these days I'll learn to just go to bed instead of staying up till 4am working on these things :negative:.

just one more page...well okay one more...oh the next page is short, one more...

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

z0glin Warchief posted:

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll mess with it before it goes on batoto.

Or not, apparently the mod who approved it doesn't know how the site works, ffffffffffffffffffff

Is there anywhere else good to upload stuff? I hear batoto is "the best" in terms of various things, but they are a pain to deal with.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Thanks folks. Guess I'll just suck it up for now. :fwp:

Anyway have some more nerds (and a new character).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I got access to fast-track my own uploads on batoto w/o mod approval by asking in the contributors subforum. Now I can hide the bad one and re-up whenever I gently caress up, too. I just had to say what group I was and the series I work and they let me have it no problem.

I haven't found a way to submit to or get access to kissmanga or mangahere, I think they operate on 99% scraper bots and a few admin uploads

I actually did that (re: batoto) several months ago, but apparently they haven't approved any new requests lately. I think the person who does the approving just hasn't been doing it.

And I think you're right on the other two, which is a shame because they only keep the first group's release of a chapter (so people who read there have to suffer through the old translations of the early Otaku chapters).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This was a huge mistake, good lord. (did the first chapter of a new gag series for a change of pace and uuugh why)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I knew exactly what was coming when I saw who had bumped the thread. Thanks! At this point I should probably start putting you in the credits.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're welcome. :)

You seem to make exactly one mistake per chapter so I've started assuming it's actually just an Easter egg hunt, or a test to see if anyone is actually reading.

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what it is :ninja:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Uh, I like the male lead but everything else is terrible.

It picks up as it goes along and the rest of the cast is introduced (imo anyway), but to be honest it was so supremely painful to work on for a whole laundry list of reasons that that is probably the only chapter I'll do.

Meanwhile, Micchan has an important announcement to make.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I was starting to think I wouldn't find that one mistake:

:toot:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also:

For shame, dude. For shame.

:twisted:

:yeah:

Rodyle posted:

I like the the muscle wizard thing

:same:

:swoon:

K. Flaps posted:

Thank you for celebrating the 500th anniversary of the german beer purity law with a new drinking girls chappie :cheerdoge:

:cheerdoge:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Erg posted:

I really like your end of chapter notes

Thanks! They're pretty fun to research, and I like blabbing on about random stuff. I'm glad they seem to be getting a good reception.

Oops, forgot to include the links w/ the images, fixed.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Neeeerds

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Erg posted:

You listed Nifuji's birthday as April 21th

So I did :negative:

Thanks! Fixed now.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Tarage posted:

Just stopped by to say that Zoglin has impeccable taste and that Otaku Love is loving hilarious.

I actually have terrible taste, as demonstrated by this thing I just did. Nobody wants to read this.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

:negative:

Sharkopath posted:

adding to op...

:negative::negative::negative:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

Ever thought of translating the 420 untranslated volumes of Cooking Papa?

:eyepop:

I'm pretty sure I don't have the stamina/focus/dedication/lifespan to work on something that long.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This hasn't really been checked as thoroughly as I would like, but I'm too tired to care atm. I've also noticed I'm real bad at "serious" lines :/ I should read more actual English lit.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Thanks! I'll go through it again before putting it up on batoto.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also, Banish to the Underworld being a Sorcery earlier on is probably the mistake that got corrected, since the card text indicates that it has an ongoing effect while it remains in play (and sorceries don't remain in play).

The actual text of the card changed too, in chapter three all it did was remove the graveyard from the game:

:shrug:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Hi.

I noticed that other group started work on this, but it looks like they missed the last subchapter of 7, so here's that.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yo where the Wizards Soul at

Well it's not on my imgur account because that new system won't keep them in the right order! :argh:

It's up on Batoto here now though. Not sure if the images will show up just yet, but should be soon (I finally got approved for contributor status).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

In Training posted:

When is the Drinking Girls anime

GimmickMan posted:

Also, found a typo: Page 8 says "Deulist".

I am undone :negative:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I think I got the imgur album image order thing worked out so try this out.

I like having it only on imgur first because as soon as it goes up on batoto it's instantly all over the internet, making fixing typos/errors basically impossible. :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions/comments/pointers! I'll mess around with it a bit and put it up on the 'tote.

Patware posted:

Re: the notes at the end, is there a purpose to the tokkuri aside from ritual? I always get thrown off when you pour from one bottle into another bottle and /then/ serve, maybe I'm just uncultured

Is sediment a problem with some sakes?

Some of it is just a quirk of history. Originally, sake wasn't bottled like it is today, but was instead poured out into a tokkuri owned by the store that you'd take home and then return later. Nowadays it's mostly a tradition thing or something done at a restaurant that lets them sell you a substantial amount of sake without you having to buy the whole bottle (it's common to get one or two tokkuri for a group as a single round of drinks at a party, in between beers/cocktails/etc).

Especially considering the small size of the cups, it's convenient to have a mid-sized container to pour from rather than leave a whole bottle out all night--sake can go bad relatively quickly after opening when not refrigerated. Still though, people do pour straight from the bottle sometimes, most often when you're at home and when you expect to drink the whole bottle.

Most sake is filtered such that sediment isn't really an issue (though nigori sake, at least, leaves a lot in and requires you shake the bottle before pouring).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The kumomori people said they thought it would be good if I kept doing the otaku manga so I guess I will. This chapter is v short, be warned.

Unless you include my wall of text in the notes, then it's pretty long I guess.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fellis posted:

Your thorough and informative translator notes are one of the best parts about reading the manga you translate, 'chief

Everything Burrito posted:

yep, they're always interesting to read

Glad you enjoy them!

Xelkelvos posted:

Those beef tariffs are vicious. Holy crap.

The rice tariff is over 700% (only after a set annual minimum that gets in tariff free per GATT, though; it's about 10% of total annual consumption, though it's largely donated as foreign aid or used as livestock feed rather than actually sold to consumers). It's mostly to protect the domestic rice industry of course, which is almost entirely made up of small-scale family owned farms run by old people, and maintain their self-sufficiency in a staple food.

:hf:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you have made powerful enemies in idol crew this day

Please have this picture of Powerpuff lovelives I took at that shrine the otaku took over as a peace offering.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Here's another chapter of Fate/Stay In The Kitchen.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Compendium posted:

Thank you Zoglin, this chapter had my favorite character and now I want salmon.

Also thank you for Otakus in Love and Drinking Girls.

Yeah, Random Old Lady is my favorite Fate character too :3:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

chumbler posted:

Which otaku couple and drinking girl are your favorites?

Chumbler swinging in with the hard questions.

I guess Koyanagi-Kabakura and a tie between Sono and Micchan, though I reserve the right to change my mind when I'm not working on 2 hours of sleep.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Somebody is sad, in this chapter of Nerds.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Sweetness And Lancer

nice

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I missed the timing for a Christmas in July joke :(

also i haven't slept more than 4 hours of the last 48 :woop:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Sono is the beeest.

You may or may not enjoy this chapter then.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Patware posted:

Oh my god that chapter pulled me into so many Japanese cooking videos

mission accomplished

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

uhg, mmos

only 2.5 chapters left in volume 2 of this, though there are some more chapters (that will probably be in volume 3 in some form) that are available online already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This finally has me caught up to that other group that was doing this, but isn't anymore.

• Locked thread