Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

And the extras. Uhg what a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This hasn't been QC'd enough but I'm sick of looking at it so here you go. (it's the fate cooking manga)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The continuation of the match against Roman.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Glagha posted:

Then again, maybe that's more of an American game thing.

I guess it's possible. I haven't been to any TCG events in Japan, but I know several American fighting game players who've gone to Tokyo tournaments who complain about how the Japanese players were so anti-hype. One particularly boisterous New Yorker actually had a Japanese player blow up on him, like "you're too loving loud! we don't act like that here!" (in Japanese of course).

I still like to think there'd be people doing the Japanese version "going nuts" over it though, instead of just ~gloom~

Lemon-Lime posted:

e; pet peeve: the word "factoid" does not mean "small fact." :v:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-difference-between-a-fact-and-a-factoid/ :colbert:

(Yeah the original definition was different, but I'm in the "whatever people use it as is what it means" camp.)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Droyer posted:

the first 2 images are of the same page. Is it supposed to be that way?

n-nope...

Thanks, should be fixed now. At least there weren't any pages missing or out of order :shobon:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

what MtG usually goes with is "Activated abilities can't be activated." IIRC.

It is, but I'm too dumb to come up with an elegant way of wording the blanket ban this card causes that uses that formatting.

You could make the argument that there's not really any reason to stick to MTG terminology as long as whatever I do use is applied consistently, but please nobody do because I don't have a counterargument!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

During your turn, spells your opponents control cannot be cast and activated abilities your opponents control cannot be activated.

But do you "control" an activated ability before it's activated? I feel like you'd need to say "activated abilities on permanents your opponents control" or something, but then that leaves open activated abilities on non-permanents (like the "can use from the hand" ability on the angel in the article at the end) or activated abilities on your permanents that opponents can activate, like on this guy:

You can imagine I was great fun to play against, back when I went to mtg tournaments.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Oh apparently this is a thing:

I guess you just say "can't activate abilities" :downs:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I also get the impression that a lot of it comes from her attitude while playing, more so than the type of deck necessarily. I mean, she clearly is not enjoying herself in the least during these matches, and that probably rubs off on people. If she was joking around and being fun about it, instead of being all

then I think people would not be as put off. She has pretty legitimate reasons for acting that way, but no one else really knows that.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

My goblin deck was a patriarch's bidding deck, which allows me to revive all creatures of a selected type all at once, and since the goblin warchief gives all goblins haste, well, it's a good fun time for everyone.

That was a cool deck, and Onslaught was a cool block. Through my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, anyway; that's about the only period I played competitively during.

Serious Frolicking posted:

surprisingly, the manga actually provided a trauma big enough to warrant that behavior.
A round of applause for Aki★Eda! It's a shame more of her stuff isn't translated, though that's something I intend to fix (very, very slowly :negative:).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Afterwards, I found this weird thingy and i have no idea where it's going. Doesn't seem like it's been mentioned here, either.
Why do i post about it? I've actually had the chance to drink some Asahi beer last week when i went to some sushi place. Yeah i know... low hanging fruit. It's probably the most standard japanese beer you can get outside of Japan. Actually, the place only had Asahi and Kirin beer (i wouldn't have remembered the names if the hadn't shown up as the first two mentions in there) so they're probably the, i dunno, Budweiser of Japanese beers.

I got the Asahi and it was.... trash not very impressive. But i'm probably spoiled in that regard since i live in a country that produces upwards of 7000 different beers, with 1200+ of those just in the state i live in.

Next time i'll try Kirin.

Oh yeah sorry, I posted about it in the chat thread but forgot to put it here. It's short and fun so I'm planning to put up a page/chapter a day.

HenryEx posted:

It's probably the most standard japanese beer you can get outside of Japan.

Probably the most standard Japanese beer you can get inside Japan, too. Not that Japanese beers have much variety to begin with :( (though this is slowly changing, thank god).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I'm a terrible person with horrible impulse control :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

syke i'm even worse than you thought, i did two chapters of this :negative:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Droyer posted:

Second panel, shouldn't it be "or did I say a little too much"?

yes :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

it's not in volume 2, so... it'll be awhile :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Maybe we should get your reading list?

It's mostly stuff that is already talked about in one thread or another, or doesn't have a translation.

In other news, this was a super annoying chapter to do, for reasons that are hard to articulate. But now it's done, and I never have to look at it again!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

HouseofGlass posted:

I'd also like to know why the chapter was super annoying to do. I'd like to hear about the difficulties you overcame.

I think it was mostly that the things the grandparents said in some instances were just weird in a "no one speaking English would ever say anything like that augh" kind of way, as usually I translate by thinking "what would this character be saying here if they were a native english speaker instead."

Anyway this chapter hasn't been QCd very thoroughly, but I need to go run errands so here it is.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

chumbler posted:

Thanks you. And Kabakura and Koyanagi are still the best.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

"I don't guess know"

ack

thanks

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I guess I'll drop this (first chapter of the new manga by the Nichijou author) in here too:

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm glad I finished this in time to watch OPs.

"Finished," anyway, it's basically a lovely speedsub, so do not read if you want your first experience of the Arawi manga to be a good one.

I like the new Yukko, maybe.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

In Training posted:

New manga by the Nichijou author????????

yeah, nichijou ended a while ago, and he started a new series with this month's Sunday

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

question: how bad is the "knee" thing?

should i change that or is it appropriately weird for an arawi manga

for reference, in the Japanese she says にーくら (ni-kura/niikura), which 1) is a last name in hiragana (rare and sort of odd), 2) is hiragana plus the ー sound extender bar, which is also sort of rare and weird

it also reminds me of ニーソ (knee socks)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Thanks for the replies!

Now I have someone to blame if it goes wrong in the future. :twisted:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Here's another chapter of that thing people probably wish I would spend less time on.

Also on Otakus: atm the only raws I have past volume two are a few short gag chapters (and one that introduces a new character :siren:) that will probably be rearranged for the volume three release anyway. Since volume three will be out in December, I'll probably be putting it on hold until then.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Courtesy of Spacious:

https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2016/10/05/wizards-soul-holy-war-of-love/

Somebody did a tremendous writeup of Wizards Soul and had this to say about you zoglin:

My final note is that, like I mentioned in Golden Kamuy, the TL notes in Wizard’s Soul ~Holy War of Love~ are incredible. They’re usually very lengthy and cover a whole lot, often in an amusing manner. The manga itself was helpful with TCG basics, but the translation notes add more information like further explanation on concepts/rules, or comparisons to Magic: The Gathering.

That's a cool writeup! Also good to know people like the notes, I know a lot of folks just skip them entirely (because sometimes I'm an idiot who read the comments).

e: though it makes me feel worse that I'm so slow on translating that series (and all the other series :negative:)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

hey zoglin my friend and translator of after hours sexy akiba detectives wanted to say that they really enjoyed the girlish number subs

Aw that's sweet of them.

Also here's a seasonally inappropriate chapter of Drinking Girls. (batoto link eventually)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Some more of that Kuzushiro manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Two of the images are out of order - I want to say page 7 and 8 but I might be off by 1.

Crap, I could have sworn I fixed that before posting. Should be fixed now.

• Locked thread