Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

This is what happens when you've got like almost 30 years worth of rules stacked on top of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think I went crossblind trying to understand this card at first:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

That one is actually fairly simple, but wouldn't be worded that way any more.

These days it'd be:

Sliver creatures you control gain hexproof.

Hexproof, of course, is 'cannot be targeted by spells or abilities your opponents control.' It's the modern take on an older ability, Shroud, which was 'cannot be targeted by spells or abilities' and stopped even your own stuff from working on the thing that had Shroud. They changed it to Hexproof because Shroud confused people and they acted like it was Hexproof anyway.

Ah, so it's different now, then? Slivers were always so crazy to use in conjunction. Crystalline sliver was sort of my backup plan in case I ever needed a defensive play.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I remember from playing in tournaments back in like 2004 that the rules for magic had already became so bloated that there were like levels of mastery of the rules given out to people my wizards of the coast, so that they can advise people at tournaments.

Xelkelvos posted:

Slivers are still crazy.
In the MTG Girls manga, there's a modern Sliver deck that's run. It's still crazy.

Oh man, this manga, I remember hearing about this but couldn't get into it because I haven't played in like 12 years.

Slivers were definitely what got me into playing magic, the complexity and cunning that came with the slivers was really appealing and fun to me.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I only once tried to make a high level deck, in a strange coincidence, it was a deck that revolved around the card in z0glin's avatar.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

chumbler posted:

Also there is no shame in goblin decks, provided your primary objective is seeing just how many goblins you can make.

My goblin deck was a patriarch's bidding deck, which allows me to revive all creatures of a selected type all at once, and since the goblin warchief gives all goblins haste, well, it's a good fun time for everyone.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

z0glin Warchief posted:

That was a cool deck, and Onslaught was a cool block. Through my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, anyway; that's about the only period I played competitively during.

No way! Me too! haha, I blame WOTC for their advertising push around that time, that must have been it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

I love the current set's art more than any other MTG set we've had, ever, and I love a lot of them.

Gosh, that's gorgeous. Amazing paintings have always been a staple of magic the gathering, there can never be enough beautiful paintings, imo.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Kaladesh is basically artifact/inventor India and the art for it is all amazingly beautiful and often really intricately detailed.

Roll that beautiful ornithopter footage.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

What's that you say?

Thopters?

Let me tell you about thopters.

Have we got thopters?

Thopters like you've never dreamed.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Something like "The z0glin Translation thread: Translate your translations here (translation thread)"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

How did that post get in this thread.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tell me. HOW

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Blhue posted:

my theory is: you clicked on this thread, then clicked reply, then typed that message, then clicked submit reply

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fellis posted:

Just because this is the drinking girls thread doesn't mean you can drunkpost here matoi

Mod privilege.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

In Training posted:

He will return when .jpg does

i got some bad news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I like to believe that zoglin is somewhere making money for his hard work instead of wasting his time on us.

• Locked thread