Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Also long handed is cool as hell and I love him.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

drilldo squirt posted:

Also long handed is cool as hell and I love him.

he perished this last turn

:getin:

It was a pretty heroic last stand but he had trouble standing alone against a pile of 40 demon/gorilla halfbreeds (who, technically, are not demons :eng101: so they don't get banished by priests all the dang time).

If you'd been piloting him and had him sneak around he probably would have bedeviled me for a while longer but the AI isn't very smart.

FilthIncarnate

That said he seems like a really awesome hero and in the long run he was really damaging to my nation; i think maybe even moreso than don knotts.

Damp Star Baby

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

FilthIncarnate

I wish I'd screenshotted don knotts getting swarmed by zombies

but alas

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Uh could I like - ORDER dominos instead?

It's only a few letters and word different and they have pretty OK pizza now guys!

deep dish peat moss

I don't know how to play this game but I've been playing the new game by these guys, Conquest of Elysium 4, and it's really good + easier to play. I'm still not good at it though.

FilthIncarnate

Hick Magnet posted:

I don't know how to play this game but I've been playing the new game by these guys, Conquest of Elysium 4, and it's really good + easier to play. I'm still not good at it though.

practice makes perfect. hang in there, man :)

Thunder Moose posted:

Uh could I like - ORDER dominos instead?

It's only a few letters and word different and they have pretty OK pizza now guys!

you could do both! :eng101:

In game-related news:

-Drildo-computer now has only his home province left, which is being sieged by an army of the dead; we'll wait him out.

-Pomp's clever spellcasting and careful planning have rendered my waves of zombies completely obsolete. I just lost a round thousand zombies to a pretty small army of his.

He's currently sieging a pretty strategically important fortress with some very important units trapped inside; I'm planning a rescue but I don't know if we'll get there in time.

It's a ticking-clock, Jack Bauer kind of scenario.

-Pomp has attempted to thug out one of his Oreiads, with mixed results.

For the peanut gallery, in what appears to be common Dom 4 parlance a "thug" is a single unit powerful enough to be sent to take a lightly-to-moderately-defended province all by its lonesome; this is differentiated from a "supercombatant", which is a single unit powerful enough to defeat whole armies of traditional foes and which typically require specialized strategies to defeat.

His Oreiad (some sort of nymph?) has the magical chops to thug like crazy, but had trouble overcoming a single heavily-armed nonmagical gorilla in hand-to-hand combat. Typically, in addition to magical power, a thug has some sort of combat advantage which makes it capable of dealing with lowlevel chaff; for example, it might have multiple attacks (like a Kraken's eight tentacles) or an area-of-effect attack (like Don Knott's breathweapon); it might have Fear, to get enemies to rout, or Awe, which makes enemies frightened to attack it.

Luckily one can make magical items to supplement this kind of stuff so I expect he'll do that; alternatively, he could always do some friendly trading with me to get some. :)

More on this story as it develops.

-My thugs continue to kick butt and clear out AI rabble. Mixed results on my one dude firing 26 arrows per round thug; however, I am pleased to report that operation "send a totally lightning-proof thug to lead a flying raiding force of storm demons" is an overwhelming success.

FilthIncarnate

You're too quiet, Pomp.

What with all this winning you've been doing, I've at least expected some trash talk.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

this seems unfair

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

FilthIncarnate posted:

You're too quiet, Pomp.

What with all this winning you've been doing, I've at least expected some trash talk.

I'm winning all the battles!!!!!

and having huge logistical issues with my slow rear end armies

----------------

FilthIncarnate

I'm losing all the battles!

But I already invested a huge amount of gems into logistics so I'm okay.

Right now we're basically reenacting the war I had with Drildo, except I'm Drildo and you're me.

It's weird being on the other side.

FilthIncarnate

hey man

nobody said dominions was fair

FilthIncarnate

Because it's become clear I can't win through traditional methods and you're way too far ahead in the evocation arms race for me to ever realistically catch up, I'm researching a number of hail-mary strategies.

All of them have horrible expensive downsides and most of them probably won't work.

Basically I'm Manhattan Project-ing, is what I'm trying to say.

FilthIncarnate

Update:

Pomp has a dude who cast a spell called "Blindness".

One of my thugs is now blind.

Luckily, it turns out that thug can blast lightning at point-blank range just as well when he's eyeless :yarr:

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
the logistical nightmare of fighting on three fronts + how close your are to the final throne you need means i forfeit.

filthincarnate wins

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
another successful byob project

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

----------------

drilldo squirt

:rip: my friend, pomp.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Let me know next time you do this, friend.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I probably won't host, but there's newbie games up on the GGS all the time. IRC is p friendly unless you do something p rude

----------------

Piso Mojado

this was a really fun thread to read, and convinced me i need this game. thanks for posting all the detail

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
okay, I got a 5 on one side and a 2 on the other

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
sorry, I thought this was the "play dominoes" thread

FilthIncarnate

ohhh noooooooo

;_;

I thought I was being all slick with my barrels of airrrrrrr

Thanks a lot for the game, Pomp. I had a great time and learned a whole lot.

You guys were a lot of fun and I thoroughly enjoyed playing with you.

I know Pomp said he didn't want to host but I'd be down to do this again. I would probably not play a blood nation again for a while tho; they're very micromanagement-intensive, as it turns out.

Question: were my seeking arrows/infernal diseases (I think it summons a "disease demon" assassin) working at all? I get very limited information on their results.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone.

Another BYOB success story!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

FilthIncarnate posted:

ohhh noooooooo

;_;

I thought I was being all slick with my barrels of airrrrrrr

Thanks a lot for the game, Pomp. I had a great time and learned a whole lot.

You guys were a lot of fun and I thoroughly enjoyed playing with you.

I know Pomp said he didn't want to host but I'd be down to do this again. I would probably not play a blood nation again for a while tho; they're very micromanagement-intensive, as it turns out.

Question: were my seeking arrows/infernal diseases (I think it summons a "disease demon" assassin) working at all? I get very limited information on their results.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone.

Another BYOB success story!

they were killing mages, but with how cheap and easily replenished mystics are I'm not sure it was worth it.

The last turn I lost my earth snake a third time, trying to beat off a really small atlantis attack because I couldn't spare anything, and you managed to cut off troops heading to help something like 25 mystics trapped in a sieged fort. Everyone else was stuck up north, 5+ turns away. I had no hope of containing your wall of poo poo + atlantis after that.

----------------

FilthIncarnate

Pomp posted:

they were killing mages, but with how cheap and easily replenished mystics are I'm not sure it was worth it.

The last turn I lost my earth snake a third time, trying to beat off a really small atlantis attack because I couldn't spare anything, and you managed to cut off troops heading to help something like 25 mystics trapped in a sieged fort. Everyone else was stuck up north, 5+ turns away. I had no hope of containing your wall of poo poo + atlantis after that.

mmmmm. interesting. For reference, at that point I was getting 14 air gems a turn and ~200 blood slaves; Seeking Arrow costs 4 air gems, while Infernal Disease costs only 5 blood slaves but requires a highlevel bloodmage to cast it and boosting mages that high is expensive.

I was seriously worried about trying to take the fort; the only things besieging it were my prophet and some Kala-Mukhas, a sacred gorilla-demon crossbreed that, while meaty, is really expensive, and I was worried I'd lose 'em to your evocations. I'd managed to put both the barrels of air I'd swiped off you a way long time ago on a hawk commander and was flying them all the way from the top of the mouth to down south, the idea being to not actually storm the fort if it was too dangerous and instead to just barrel-of-air up and conquer Atlantis's barely-defended throne, grab it, and hold it long enough for my god to get the last one, which I'd conquered but not claimed.

You were really kicking my rear end militarily. I invested in a shitload of countermeasures that I was hoping might work. There are, in order of probable effectiveness:

1) getting my god (with earth magic) to spam Earthquake on your low-health army; I was about to try that when you headed south.

2) use a giant army of monkey-archers backed with "Mass Aim", which improves arrow effectiveness like crazy; after I started getting my Dakini to cast "Aim" on themselves, they were kicking butt.

That army was waiting next to my capital, but you turned back before it came into play.

3) when you were penetrating deep and I was retaking stuff behind you, I realized that I maybe wouldn't have you kill you in combat if I could get you to retreat, since retreating into enemy territory = death. There's a highlevel blood spell called "Blood Rain" that's supposed to constantly sap morale from everyone on the battlefield until they rout; I thought that I would try combining that with my waves of undead, since they're too stupid to retreat.

4) finally I had a couple mages ready with a "Summon Hellpower" gambit; this was designed for when you were sieging my home fortress. "Summon Hellpower" is part of the style of spell that boosts battlemagic, like "Summon Earthpower" or "Summon Storm Power"; the only difference is that the bloodmagic variant attracts shitloads of Horrors. The plan was to send a small sacrificial army of really expensive mages + some expendable bodyguards and have the mages cast "Summon Hellpower" as many times as possible, then try to hold out long enough for some really nasty horrors to come by. My mages would certainly perish, but Horrors are indiscriminate killers, and I was hoping a couple teleporting Fear 15 true-ethereal monstrosities might succeed where I was failing.

Honestly though you were a really clever opponent, and if I hadn't already owned basically 75% of the map, including three capitals and most of the oceans, I don't know that I would have been able to beat you; I only really held on through defeat after defeat because after conquering Drildo's lands I had more than enough resources to replace everything I was losing.

Really nothing I did this game worked the way I hoped it would except for the thugs. I'd heard that the Dakini is the best thug in the game, bar none, and I'm really glad I invested as much energy as I did into them, because without them I don't think I would have won the last phase of the game. Most of Drildo's territories were conquered by Dakini, and the eastern front in my war on you/Atlantis consisted mostly of three or four Dakini thugging around when they needed to and flying away when things got hairy.

Your communions were nightmares and I never really had an answer for them. I hoped that earthquake would work but I guess we'll never know now.

FilthIncarnate

Thanks again for hosting, man. I had a great time and I hope everyone else did too.

:)

I've never played dominions against anyone before but I'm glad my first game was this one.

deep dish peat moss

If anyone gets Conquest of Elysium 4 I will play it with you...

drilldo squirt

Is it on sale?

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
the multiplayer in it is really bad says everyone who has tried it.

sequential turns, no password protection, the works

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know if i ever brought it up but if you're scared of dominions dom 4 has a good team game option, so you only really need one person to design your god, scales and strategy and you can learn via osmosis

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
when we do another game is should deffo be a team game

----------------

FilthIncarnate

Pomp posted:

when we do another game is should deffo be a team game

Agreed.

I was v lonely the whole time.

drilldo squirt

That sounds fun.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
How much peanut gallery would be interested

FreshCutFries

i'd be down. i think i'm finally in the mood to learn another ridiculous game.

FilthIncarnate

would we want to play Early Age again?

I quite like it, but I also like some Middle Age nations too. MA Ctis has a cool dominions effect that would be interesting to play with in a disciple game; so does MA Agartha.

:shrug: I'd be down for whateva though.

drilldo squirt

If we are doing mid age I call ulm.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

If we are doing mid age I call ulm.

In a team have, you could pay tribless vanheim without tanking your scales